WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    WORKOUT
    @kymarai q
    uestion....anyone else want to cry when they are only halfway through starting a workout?
    . I wouldn't say that. I was quite to very active (sports) from late teens till late 30s/early 40 so it kind fo seems like second nature to me. Since some minor health issues at 41 ish (acute, intense, but to be temporary, but seemed to have taken a toll), and then again since around 55ish (food issues: can't jog anymore), I'm less active.

I still like to walk. I don't push myself too much. I have to push myself to get my heart rate up for 20 minutes. My natural tendency would be to amble, stroll, much of the time when walking, To pedal gently on stationary bike and so on. Sometimes walking I go faster naturally, but not really fast usually (unless I'm late or something). I figure walking at a moderate or leisurely pace and enjoying it is better than forcing myself to go faster and not do it because I don't enjoy it. I'm aiming at present to do 20 min at high Hr on stationary bike 3x a week. I find it boring so watch a show or listen to podcast during. sometimes I forget and have to extend 5 minutes because I had been going slow on the bike. :D

I bet your walking lifting etc at work DO keep you in good shape.
    when very young (a teen) I was surely in good shape but when we would go skiing for about 5 days year, or whatever, we would be all sore. We'd ski from morning to evening as much as possible to make good use of the time opportunity, ski ticket ect, as much as possible, and using unused muscles really made us all sore regardless of our health otherwise...

Maybe you could do a modified version so as not to want to cry! I used to go to yoga classes and there were always modified versions of poses for those for whom it was too hard. On the very rare times I've been to sports classes in past years I'm among the oldest ! the teachers are not always topnotch so I just adjust, without complex, according to my ability, so I feel okay. hopefully they don't mind too much!
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,604 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    HEATHER you seem really fit! 2.15h of sport per day at 72 is top-notch !

Your cruise - I'd be surprised if there is not an option these days. Bad customer service otherswise. A registered letter is sometimes beneficial if the friendly approach doesn't work.
    you could have a doctor's note that says due to X and the pandemic situation he or she recommends postponing. It would be a big liability for them if a customer then didn't cancel/postone (which you will!) and then were seriously under the weather due to OMICRON/DELTA...

MACHKA

Not enough time to exercise?
    168 hours in a week
    - 56 hours for sleep (7 days * 8 hours) OKAy!
    - 40 hours for work (5 days * 8 hours) (plus transport)
    - 10.5 hours for exercise (the recommended amount of 90 minutes a day * 7 days) okay!
    = 61.5 hours for ... whatever you want. 🙂
    + running household (shopping, cleaning, bills, admin stuff, etc, etc)
    But there needs to be some time in there for "whatever you want" I don't have 61.5 hours of it though! though I think it's great for those who do! I'm all for it! I HAVE in my youth had some times like that for sure.

MACHKA I think 1 50 km ride per month at least is AMAZING! everything is relative!

BARBARA you always write nice, caring personals!

GINNY - I was one of the people who mentioned part time. another option some youngish retirees around me have mentioned is retiring and THEN working part time for the same old employer. apparently sometimes an option : getting retirement money AND getting part time pay... using your extra 3h weekly sounds like a nice compromise for now.

For work dilemma is there some "optional" intermediate possibility.

At some point here, classes were distant BUT people could come in and do them from a classroom online (instead of home online) if they wished to. giving a little bit of leeway somehow can sometimes be more accepted. I saw one office is now having people present only 2 days a week... a lot of people seem to prefer the hybrid option. But maybe it is too risky. you sound like a very caring and careful manager.

REBECCA congratulations on your loss!

EXES FRIENDS. to Debbie and Kylia, and others,
    I always liked the idea of being friends with exes but its not as common in my life as I would ideally like. it seems one or the other often feels x y or z which doesn't make for a simple friendship.
    I do exchange texts and sometimes call (and have met up on occasion but not recently) with one old ex from way way back. It's light and not complicated. I think there is really good will and friendliness. But with others I get the feeling that one or the other may have some resentment or some other weirdness that make meeting up or exchanging just not that appealing, too complicated anyway. and I'd rather meet up and exchange with friends with whom there is no or little complication!

FASTING

not sure if it works for me. I like the sort of clarity of thought it offers sometimes, but I always seem to get really hungry after fasting time so it doesn't work that well for me.

ALTERNATIVE SUGGESTION TO DIETING
    I read in nytimes.com yesterday about them suggesting MINDFUL eating rather than dieting:

how hungry am I before and after?
    why am I eating?
    how do I feel before during after?
    and so on.

I had this approach 2 times in my late 20s and early 30s and it really seemed the best approach.
    in late 20s my short term therapist suggested I write down what I ate, how I felt, etc, every week and send it to her (by the post back then) and we talked about it.
    then in early 30s I was seriously into meditation at least an hour a day with some intensive retreats, observing mostly breath body sensations, but also aware of thoughts.
    I couldn't help but be aware of my eating during those silent retreats.
    on the last day you could talk and there was a treat. (chocolate cake)
    I remember the craving of it and the wierd (not physically satisfying) feeling physically during and after eating it...even though it was tongue tasty..
    and I stayed somewhat aware like that for some years after.
    now I've got sort of a base of having practiced this physical awareness (observation) for years, but I'm less practicing for sure over past 10 or 15 years.

I feel better with tis latter approach though.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, 143.5, readings, osteo back, BP, dogs to powerline, 33 mins line dancing, steps >7400, CI<CO, CI<250<CO, mfp50+, H20x8
    Bonus: bequest committee emails, veg prep, one load laundry, baked gluten free Italian almond cookies… bit o’ faff for meh.
    Workin’ on it:
    Happier January 2022
    4: Write a list of things you feel grateful for and why. Joe fed dogs last night, built fire in woodstove when power went out at 4am, cooked breakfast for us all on the gas stove. Electricity to pump water and connect to internet after this morning’s 4 hour power outage. Legs that can walk dogs, line dance, do sit to stands. Dogs that make me get up out of the chair, get outside and make me laugh,

Woke to darkness, power out, but warm thanks to Joe building a fire in the woodstove. Joe cooked hash for breakfast for us all then I went back to bed to read a bit by flashlight. Later, as Joe was getting ready to crank up the generator and hook it up to the fridge, the power blipped back on. Despite complete disruption of morning routine, was able to do my “first things” when I got up, even though it was nearly noon ;)

Welcome @kfhontherrttrack Karleen in FL/GA!

Just thru pg 7, but Joe’s up and this is my chance to hang out with him, so later, lighter lovelies!

Lighter, lovelies!

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    d7d0f4nqxu5z.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Today was a rest day. We just went for a short walk.

82v8e2txkyyk.png

Last week was a big week of exercise for us, and yesterday was an exceptionally big day of cycling for us. :)

69yrd68xunsx.png

I'm not sure if I didn't have the quantity of electrolytes I should have had, but I turned over in bed, during the night last night, and my left shoulder cramped badly. Thankfully it is easing up this evening. Between painkillers, salty things, and rest, it seems like it will be all right.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    MACHKA

Not enough time to exercise?
    168 hours in a week
    - 56 hours for sleep (7 days * 8 hours) OKAy!
    - 40 hours for work (5 days * 8 hours) (plus transport)
    - 10.5 hours for exercise (the recommended amount of 90 minutes a day * 7 days) okay!
    = 61.5 hours for ... whatever you want. 🙂
    + running household (shopping, cleaning, bills, admin stuff, etc, etc)
    But there needs to be some time in there for "whatever you want" I don't have 61.5 hours of it though! though I think it's great for those who do! I'm all for it! I HAVE in my youth had some times like that for sure.

MACHKA I think 1 50 km ride per month at least is AMAZING! everything is relative!

As I mentioned, going to uni and taking on a carer's role has changed that somewhat for me.

My work, including transportation is actually 9.5 hours now.
    The remaining 60 for whatever I want includes household stuff.
    I have very little time for true "whatever I want" ... instead I've decided that ordering groceries online and occasional cleaning is what I want. :)

ALTERNATIVE SUGGESTION TO DIETING
    I read in nytimes.com yesterday about them suggesting MINDFUL eating rather than dieting:

how hungry am I before and after?
    why am I eating?
    how do I feel before during after?
    and so on.

I go with a structured method of eating that has nothing to do with feelings. I think Barbie, who starts these threads, does the same thing.

I eat certain things and certain amounts at certain times of day.
    If I feel hungry, I tell myself that's nonsense because what I've eaten is enough calories so that I'll be fine, and I usually busy myself with something else.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,060 Member
    edited January 2022
    Machka: That's basically what I do. I eat set things on set days, at set times. I'm no longer an emotional eater, although I do eat mindfully
  • auditgoddess
    auditgoddess Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for all the ideas on bookmarks! I love the ideas on mindful eating. Good points.

I've been tracking my food the last few days and love the option to take a picture of the food. I need simple so I can keep up with tracking. The pictures will help me stay consistent.

Julie in France: What are you writing? Sounds very cool. I can picture you writing a lovely novel while hanging out in a quaint coffee shop.

Sandy in Texas (and sometimes Tennessee)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,195 Member
    edited January 2022
    Hallo! Just relaxing and recovering after the girls have gone home. :o They did some decoupage, which went well, but was a test of my patience. I did lose my temper with them once when they were fighting with cushions in the living room. All my nice ceramics, plus my dad's prize winning vase that he made! I did explain afterwards why I was cross. Otherwise it was great. Charades was played, plus 'gambling' with dice. :p I showed funny animal videos.

I managed to fit my afternoon bonus exercise in after they had gone at 2.30. I'm enjoying the German series on Netflix, The Last Word. We got up extra early to fit in the morning exercises, plus ring Saga on the dot of 9, when they open.

Lost some sleep last night, anticipating the Saga conversation. Tried all kinds of arguments and proposals. Eventually we agreed with them to leave the final decision until the 21st. There may be more clarity by then. I won't lose anything by postponing the decision and things may have changed. I might lose another night's sleep, but last night I did manage to get back to sleep eventually, using my techniques. :D

Now preparing for a quick nap before joining DH for a TV programme we both like. Dinner is fish soup with rouille, cheese, and croutons for DH.

Love to all. I feel I need a holiday now!

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,035 Member
    I need to buy groceries but this snow is messing with my schedule. I was hoping it would melt off the roads by afternoon but now the temp is lower than predicted. Maybe tomorrow, but then how do I fit in yoga? Hmm. I could have done extra writing today if I hadn't slept late!

Annie in Delaware
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    <3
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,302 Member
    :)<3:)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    :)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,937 Member
    HEATHER you seem really fit! 2.15h of sport per day at 72 is top-notch !

GINNY - I was one of the people who mentioned part time. another option some youngish retirees around me have mentioned is retiring and THEN working part time for the same old employer. apparently sometimes an option : getting retirement money AND getting part time pay... using your extra 3h weekly sounds like a nice compromise for now.

EXES FRIENDS. to Debbie and Kylia, and others,
    I always liked the idea of being friends with exes but its not as common in my life as I would ideally like. it seems one or the other often feels x y or z which doesn't make for a simple friendship.
    I do exchange texts and sometimes call (and have met up on occasion but not recently) with one old ex from way way back. It's light and not complicated. I think there is really good will and friendliness. But with others I get the feeling that one or the other may have some resentment or some other weirdness that make meeting up or exchanging just not that appealing, too complicated anyway. and I'd rather meet up and exchange with friends with whom there is no or little complication!

My dh did that- Retired, gets his full pension and they asked him to come back part time. As long as he didn't go over 63 hrs a month(if he went over, they would take the pension for the whole month). Then Covid hit and they really needed employees so they lifted the restrictions. We thought, great, it will be a few months where he can work more, get more money in savings and he couldn't go anywhere else anyways- Essential worker- Well, they still have not put the restrictions back in AND if he works something like 95 hrs a month, they reimburse his medical $300 plus reimburse any prescriptions we get during the month. We have been able to pay off my car in 11 months instead of 4 yrs, the few major bills we have(car/homeowners/property tax) are all paid up until June.
    He is ready for them to cut back on the hours so he will only work 12-15 hrs a week but he does like seeing his account going up and up.

As for my ex. We didn't have any contact at all, didn't know how he was doing, found out he was married doing a google search. Found out later that the card and letters I had sent, just wishing him well, had never been given to him. His second wife threw them away before he saw them. She also told his parents they were not to have any contact with me. She passed away of pancreatic cancer. Wife #3 knows we talk, just doesn't know how much/often we talk. We still love each other and wish things were different. But there not.