WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    oh Heather!
    sending good thoughts to you, your friend and her sister!

Kim in N. California
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    Cloudy day but temp is over freezing. DD took my car and was able to make it to work today. I am going to go out shortly and see if I can get the front walk cleaned off again. I am really ready to see this snow gone!

Rita - lovely pictures.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    suebdew wrote: »
    Good morning Pals.
    I’ve decided on my word: Focus. There are several things that I need to focus on but first I have to write them down it seems everywhere I look something need cleaning, organizing or thrown- out.
    I am the oldest lady on this thread at 82. I have three grown children and 9 grandkids. We have been retired since 1997. My DH was career Air Force for 24 years then we both worked at a university for 14 years.
    We both had COVID and took the vaccines. I had bad reaction to shots and am still dealing with after affects. Besides going bald,on the top of m head, the other worst thing is fatigue. At my age. I should be fatigued but not like this. Lol
    I want to get back to golf but will try 9 holes first. My other interests are bridge, reading and knitting.
    I was born in LA and grew up in MS. We have traveled a lot and really miss cruising. Have plans to go to Hawaii in February depending on restrictions etc.
    Suebdew in TX

Sue- Sorry you are still dealing with the side effects. I lost about half my hair but not in one spot, just thinned all over. My doctor told me to get Rogain- I got the generic from Amazon and it has really helped. It did take a few months of treatment before I saw a little growth. It will take years to get it back to where it was, as my hair is down past my waist. Thankfully, my hair is very curly so, unless my hair was wet from a shower, people could not tell I lost any(unless it was in a braid)

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Heather ... so very sorry to hear about your friend, her sister and now departed BIL. There are no words.

Beth
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    HEATHER you seem really fit! 2.15h of sport per day at 72 is top-notch !

Your cruise - I'd be surprised if there is not an option these days. Bad customer service otherswise. A registered letter is sometimes beneficial if the friendly approach doesn't work.
    you could have a doctor's note that says due to X and the pandemic situation he or she recommends postponing. It would be a big liability for them if a customer then didn't cancel/postone (which you will!) and then were seriously under the weather due to OMICRON/DELTA...

MACHKA

Not enough time to exercise?
    168 hours in a week
    - 56 hours for sleep (7 days * 8 hours) OKAy!
    - 40 hours for work (5 days * 8 hours) (plus transport)
    - 10.5 hours for exercise (the recommended amount of 90 minutes a day * 7 days) okay!
    = 61.5 hours for ... whatever you want. 🙂
    + running household (shopping, cleaning, bills, admin stuff, etc, etc)
    But there needs to be some time in there for "whatever you want" I don't have 61.5 hours of it though! though I think it's great for those who do! I'm all for it! I HAVE in my youth had some times like that for sure.

MACHKA I think 1 50 km ride per month at least is AMAZING! everything is relative!

BARBARA you always write nice, caring personals!

GINNY - I was one of the people who mentioned part time. another option some youngish retirees around me have mentioned is retiring and THEN working part time for the same old employer. apparently sometimes an option : getting retirement money AND getting part time pay... using your extra 3h weekly sounds like a nice compromise for now.

For work dilemma is there some "optional" intermediate possibility.

At some point here, classes were distant BUT people could come in and do them from a classroom online (instead of home online) if they wished to. giving a little bit of leeway somehow can sometimes be more accepted. I saw one office is now having people present only 2 days a week... a lot of people seem to prefer the hybrid option. But maybe it is too risky. you sound like a very caring and careful manager.

REBECCA congratulations on your loss!

EXES FRIENDS. to Debbie and Kylia, and others,
    I always liked the idea of being friends with exes but its not as common in my life as I would ideally like. it seems one or the other often feels x y or z which doesn't make for a simple friendship.
    I do exchange texts and sometimes call (and have met up on occasion but not recently) with one old ex from way way back. It's light and not complicated. I think there is really good will and friendliness. But with others I get the feeling that one or the other may have some resentment or some other weirdness that make meeting up or exchanging just not that appealing, too complicated anyway. and I'd rather meet up and exchange with friends with whom there is no or little complication!

FASTING

not sure if it works for me. I like the sort of clarity of thought it offers sometimes, but I always seem to get really hungry after fasting time so it doesn't work that well for me.

ALTERNATIVE SUGGESTION TO DIETING
    I read in nytimes.com yesterday about them suggesting MINDFUL eating rather than dieting:

how hungry am I before and after?
    why am I eating?
    how do I feel before during after?
    and so on.

I had this approach 2 times in my late 20s and early 30s and it really seemed the best approach.
    in late 20s my short term therapist suggested I write down what I ate, how I felt, etc, every week and send it to her (by the post back then) and we talked about it.
    then in early 30s I was seriously into meditation at least an hour a day with some intensive retreats, observing mostly breath body sensations, but also aware of thoughts.
    I couldn't help but be aware of my eating during those silent retreats.
    on the last day you could talk and there was a treat. (chocolate cake)
    I remember the craving of it and the wierd (not physically satisfying) feeling physically during and after eating it...even though it was tongue tasty..
    and I stayed somewhat aware like that for some years after.
    now I've got sort of a base of having practiced this physical awareness (observation) for years, but I'm less practicing for sure over past 10 or 15 years.

I feel better with tis latter approach though.

The hunger issue happens for a couple months, then it kind of goes away. I get hungry once I start prepping my meal, and nibbling on something then that enzyme kicks in telling me, yes you are hungry. I eat my meal, maybe a snack then get back to fasting. Definitely an OMADer. (one meal a dayer).
    Putting some Himalayan salt kernels under your tongue helps with hunger and headaches too.👍
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Oooh I was up at 6:30 AM this morning, then sent to gym with Lee. Yep I did it!
    Today's food was a repeat of yesterday, because it was so wonderful.
    Shrimp salad with tomatoes and thousand island dressing. Then two hash brown patties, two eggs and 4 sausage links. Dessert is 3 prunes and a piece of chocolate.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Shrimp salad with tomatoes and thousand island dressing. Then two hash brown patties, two eggs and 4 sausage links. Dessert is 3 prunes and a piece of chocolate.

I love how you get so much pleasure from your food.

Tina in CA
  • herronisland
    herronisland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for very much for explaining how to bookmark. I couldn't see the ribbon until I changed the Zoom from 100 to 80. I have had MyFitnessPal since 2014 and for New Years I just bought myself a paid membership. So far, I have explored the extra options and benefits, but I can't find instructions or how to get MyFitnessPal to answer a question, and I have several questions. I've tried searching these forums without success, which is frustrating - and being frustrated makes me overeat.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

I love how you get so much pleasure from your food.

Tina in CA

Well, after 20 hrs fasting, I am a wee bit excited. Plus food tastes AMAZING!!! I am appreciating the two sides of intermittent fasting. There's the warm, empty feeling where autophagy happens and because I have been putting my eating window between 1 and 3 pm, or 12 and 2 pm, I can wake up in a fasted state. Autophagy us when your body cleans house and heals.💖👍. The other feeling is sheer joy, or prepping, and choosing food. It has to be "window worthy"! I don't want to eat crappy food because it does a number on my digestive system. So I have become a food snob, ( a happy respectful one).
    Rebecca
    Giddy in
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 38min 42sec 137elev, 77ahr, 97mhr, 3.08ap, 8.17mi= 753c
    Strava app= 986c
    Zwift home spin bike- 16.09min, 103aw, 71arpm, 53elev, 133ahr, 159mhr, 5.04mi= 162c
    Zwift app= 95c
    Walk to salon n back- 14.34min, .73mi= 70c
    Strava app= 88c

Total cal 985

Welcome new peeps!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I've had a pretty slow day because I'm flaring a bit from yesterday. Got some laundry pushed through, and took Girlfriend to get her regular bloodwork done. She got her booster while she was there, so two birds with one stone. And I'm on track calorie-wise.

It's just hard because they don't want me to be using any of my usual OTC pain meds for two weeks before the surgery, and I could definitely use them now for my neck and back, cause driving has gotten more and more painful as I lose weight. (Problem is that I'm not losing it in my breasts.)

SO MUCH TO DO before the surgery. Ack. But I will get it done.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,605 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked, then had a eye MD appt, it took about 4 hours for my eyes to get back to normal, ceramics tonight

barbie – how wonderful you found your flashlight and it works!

Michele NC.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Thank you for very much for explaining how to bookmark. I couldn't see the ribbon until I changed the Zoom from 100 to 80. I have had MyFitnessPal since 2014 and for New Years I just bought myself a paid membership. So far, I have explored the extra options and benefits, but I can't find instructions or how to get MyFitnessPal to answer a question, and I have several questions. I've tried searching these forums without success, which is frustrating - and being frustrated makes me overeat.

What is one of your questions?
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Did my dumbbells today. I'm being very careful of my right shoulder, which wants to wimp out on me. It just isn't strong enough yet to handle my body weight in planks and such.

And I think I can say that I've broken my cookie habit! Yay! I still feel it but I can ignore the pull. I had a little bit of chocolate today after grocery shopping, but was under calories. I'm starting to get excited about what the scale might say on Friday, which is probably a mistake. We all know that the scale has a mind of its own.

The salad project has gotten much better. I'm aiming for four times a week. And I'm buying lactose-free Greek yogurt to keep me full.

And I bought a lottery ticket; the jackpot is up to $600 million!

So things are looking hopeful all around. Now if that scale will just give me two pounds!

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

What is one of your questions?

** If you keep scrolling down through the subforums, you'll reach an area where you can ask questions.

xdu24j3miifn.png

** You can also find that section (MyFitnessPal Information) in the right sidebar.

95lehoju94p8.png

** At the very bottom there is some additional information. Community Guidelines is a good one to read.

f7hc4ersz01h.png

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3