60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Revlish
    Revlish Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 58 and just recently came across a letter from myself 30 years in the future. It was marvelous. lol It closed with "you're doing good kid. mind the body- I need it in as good a shape as possible. ha!". :D

I've been on track for about a year now with getting in better shape, building new habits, losing weight and just generally taking better care of myself. Noom was great for me! Although I didn't use their food logging system. I love MFP system so I just kept using that. I have come SO far in the past year! Im' very proud of myself and feel so much better than I did. Yay me!

I'm transitioning off of Noom now and over to MFP. I've used it off and on for years to track food and exercise. I used to use it more socially then got away from that. But I'm back for the social support! It's one of the ways that Noom was so great for me. That accountability and shared support is important in my growth process.

Is there a way to create a group so we can have topics and stay connected more easily? I just joined another group here on MFP that's the ....frak. I can't remember. Ultimate something Challenge? Groups are so great for breaking things down into more manageable and trackable bits. I'm not sure how that works on MFP. Maybe someone already knows? I'm down to find out.

I live just South of Seattle (for now), I'm a grad student and work part time. I have some long term illnesses I'm still recovering from and last year was diagnosed with COPD. I love sci fi, video games, read like a fiend, love to dance and skate. I'm hoping to get into running again this year (easy peasy baby steps) and am looking into doing that while I'm still fat and have foot issues. :) Running shoes. Oy. A whole topic. hahaha! I'm also a musician and love to travel.

Very glad to meet a group of mature folx who are focused on health and wellbeing! Feel free to add me as a friend here if you want.

~ Rev

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Revlish wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm 58 and just recently came across a letter from myself 30 years in the future. It was marvelous. lol It closed with "you're doing good kid. mind the body- I need it in as good a shape as possible. ha!". :D

I've been on track for about a year now with getting in better shape, building new habits, losing weight and just generally taking better care of myself. Noom was great for me! Although I didn't use their food logging system. I love MFP system so I just kept using that. I have come SO far in the past year! Im' very proud of myself and feel so much better than I did. Yay me!

I'm transitioning off of Noom now and over to MFP. I've used it off and on for years to track food and exercise. I used to use it more socially then got away from that. But I'm back for the social support! It's one of the ways that Noom was so great for me. That accountability and shared support is important in my growth process.

Is there a way to create a group so we can have topics and stay connected more easily? I just joined another group here on MFP that's the ....frak. I can't remember. Ultimate something Challenge? Groups are so great for breaking things down into more manageable and trackable bits. I'm not sure how that works on MFP. Maybe someone already knows? I'm down to find out.

I live just South of Seattle (for now), I'm a grad student and work part time. I have some long term illnesses I'm still recovering from and last year was diagnosed with COPD. I love sci fi, video games, read like a fiend, love to dance and skate. I'm hoping to get into running again this year (easy peasy baby steps) and am looking into doing that while I'm still fat and have foot issues. :) Running shoes. Oy. A whole topic. hahaha! I'm also a musician and love to travel.

Very glad to meet a group of mature folx who are focused on health and wellbeing! Feel free to add me as a friend here if you want.

~ Rev

Groups have not worked out well, for some reason, that are age group oriented to our age group, based on observation during the 6 plus years I've been here. This thread has been much more durable than most such groups or other similar threads, for some reason.

I suspect groups are less effective in part because (IMO) MFP doesn't highlight them enough with notifications of new threads, prominence of groups one's joined on the main pages, etc. Realistically, in our demographic, there may also be somewhat fewer people for whom full-featured social media are easy and natural to use, since they emerged only in our adult lives, though obviously many folks on this thread are quite tech-savvy.

There's already a 50+ group with a very low level of activity, but still a few posts now and then:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

Maybe if folks are interested in a mature-folks group, go over and try to revive that one, rather than creating something new? Just a thought.
  • Revlish
    Revlish Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Revlish wrote: »

~ Rev

Groups have not worked out well, for some reason, that are age group oriented to our age group, based on observation during the 6 plus years I've been here. This thread has been much more durable than most such groups or other similar threads, for some reason.

I suspect groups are less effective in part because (IMO) MFP doesn't highlight them enough with notifications of new threads, prominence of groups one's joined on the main pages, etc. Realistically, in our demographic, there may also be somewhat fewer people for whom full-featured social media are easy and natural to use, since they emerged only in our adult lives, though obviously many folks on this thread are quite tech-savvy.

There's already a 50+ group with a very low level of activity, but still a few posts now and then:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group

Maybe if folks are interested in a mature-folks group, go over and try to revive that one, rather than creating something new? Just a thought.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. The one group I'm in has been active awhile and is humming! But not an over 50 group. Maybe that makes a difference. I'll definitely keep involved in this thread. Just harder to find specific topics or posts. It took me forever just to find the thread again! lololol I'll bookmark it now. :)

Thanks! Glad to be here. <3
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175
    Sorry to hear about your wife's continued constant pain. As a RN I see these people in the hospital and it tears at my heart. And they are strangers to me. I remember how it was with my dad and his cancer. Again I'm sorry but you are doing the right thing by taking care of yourself. You can't be a help or comfort her, when she needs it, if you aren't in decent health yourself.
  • drbpshockey1
    drbpshockey1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 114. I currently weigh 123. I had a hysterectomy recently and have gained weight. I am 74. I am physically active, but unable to shed these pounds. I've used this app intermittently for years. It's time for me to get serious. The app does keep us on target.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    @alteredsteve175
    Sorry to hear about your wife's continued constant pain. As a RN I see these people in the hospital and it tears at my heart. And they are strangers to me. I remember how it was with my dad and his cancer. Again I'm sorry but you are doing the right thing by taking care of yourself. You can't be a help or comfort her, when she needs it, if you aren't in decent health yourself.

Thanks, @swimmom_1 . The counselor at the cancer clinic reminds me of that during every session. "Take care of yourself, too." And so I do.

My hat is off to you and all health care providers. It's a tough job and you deal with difficult, heart-wrenching situations every day. Thank you for choosing to help others. 🤗
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Thank you @alteredsteve175
    It's been an especially tough 2 years! I do Hemodialysis treatment nursing at hospitals for almost 9 years now. Covid effects some peoples kidneys too so we have been busier than ever, about double, and working very long hours to get all the treatments done. I usually do 55-60 hour weeks. We are getting tired and rundown ourselves. So I ask as Steve already did, Reach out and just Thank a Healthcare worker.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Greetings, all. Just checking in.

Have gotten several workouts in the last week. Still trying to go in the evenings when the spouse is asleep. Continuing to deal with her cancer - a daily challenge. Nearly constant pain for her. Lordy, this is hard to watch.

Hang in there and make good things happen this year!

Hey Steve! Glad you’re hangin’ in.

• SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    So week one of 2022 is under our belts.
    I had an excellent week. Ate very well, drank lots of water and got a few workouts in. I'm pretty pleased with myself. How did everyone make out?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I don't do New Years Revolutions (<= not a typo).

Not saying others shouldn't make resolutions, but it's just a thing I've learned doesn't work well for me personally. I wish everyone well with any "New Year, New Me" plans you may have! Maybe share your goals here, if you have some, and let us know how you're doing, so we can cheer on your progress?

So, the first week of January is a normal week, for me. Just a cold one, here (This sunny mid-afternoon, it's up to 27F (-3C ) with a "feels-like" temp of 15F (-9C ). We have a few inches of snow on the ground (not unusual), some negative temps (below -17C) coming up later in the week, according to the forecast. This is all pretty normal for January in mid-Michigan.

I'm in the Winter phase where my workouts are feeling like a slog. I don't enjoy what I do in Winter as much as what I do in the warmer seasons, and as a very hedonistic person, pleasure motivates me much more effectively than duty does. The saving grace is that I've been active long enough - 20+ years - that if I take too long a break from working out, I start feeling really crummy (tense, moody, etc.), and that displeasure will get me moving again. Whatever works, eh?

Nonetheless, I'm doing OK this first week of January, still alternating around half an hour of machine rowing and stationary biking for 6 days this week (if I bike later today, which I will). To that, I normally add some dumbbell strength training on rowing days, core exercises on biking days.

This week got rearranged a little by a weird Wednesday, in which my car wouldn't start, I got a rental, had been on my way to a fasting blood test (routine) but didn't make it there until mid-afternoon. Breakfast was a (delicious) soft salted pretzel stick from the baker at the farmers market, at 4:30PM. Later, I picked up some friends from the airport shuttle, we all went out to dinner, and between that and continuing appetite from the earlier weirdness, I ate well over maintenance. (It's a thing I do occasionally, and I'm zero distressed about it.)

So, I only got in a short row on Wednesday, between market and shuttle pick-up, around 20 minutes. Since I missed out on a full workout, I added some rowing in front of Thursday's normal bike, but didn't feel like doubling up strength and core. So, strength Thursday with bike, core with row Friday, will do strength with row today, but haven't decided whether to repeat core, too. 🤷‍♀️

Net result, though, is that between holiday indulgences and Wednesday, my scale weight's up a bit from where I'd like. A decent amount of that is water weight, especially since I just re-started weight training again and that always adds some for me, but it will take a week or two to get a better idea where things stand: Scales been roller-coaster-y over the past few weeks, low as 125 point something pounds, high as 130. Suspect the answer's in the middle someplace.

So, everyone, maybe especially (but not exclusively) our newer participants:

Do you have any resolutions? How's it going? In the unlikely event that it's not optimal, what revisions are you considering in your plans, if any? (We all know that the Main Big Deal is to keep going in a positive direction, and sometimes tweaking the plan is the best way to do that IMO.)

Wishing you a productive and happy January!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    I gained weight from NYD, Pork and Sauerkraut, pretty sure it was water weight. It took a whole week for it to drop. Down to 165.8. My lowest on 12/26 was 165.6 lbs.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hello all - I changed my username from Ladybug8882021 to BCLadybug888, but still me! Wanted to pop in to wish everyone a happy new year! And also to thank @alteredsteve175 for his group recommendation - I have joined the "Lose 1 pound a Week" group 😀

I don't do resolutions per se, but I feel a great deal of optimism and renewed purpose with the start of a new year and view it as a good time to take stock.

As @SharGetsHealthy states, I'm pleased with myself and how the first week went - wishing you all the best in your journeys too 😊
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @BCLadybug888
    Welcome back! You sort of disappeared when you went to Hawaii. Glad your back!
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    @alteredsteve175
    As you are an inspiration to us, Steve,
  • Sistersue3285
    Sistersue3285 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    Not 60 yet but will be this year. I have been struggling with my weight for years. Now that I have osteoarthritis in my knees and lower back I really need to get the excess weight off. I know the arthritis will not go away but getting the weight off my knees should help with some of the pain and hopefully I can get more active. I have very active grandchildren and would really like to be able to spend more time with them participating in their favorite activities.
    I need to lose 45/50 lbs and I know this is going to be a struggle for me. I look forward to checking out this group and keeping in touch