WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I am not sure if "sitters" are offered or available in any U.S. hospitals, rehab/nursing homes. When my MIL went through all of her various health problems; we (husband and kids) took shifts sitting with her and taking notes on what was being given to her and what they were doing to/for her. We also took notes when the doctors came in to check on her. Prognosis, etc. You are correct in saying that those hours of "sitting" are mentally and physically exhausting.
    KJ (Kelly)

Most of the jobs I see when I google hospital sitter or patient sitter are in the US.

I have to specifically state 'Australia' to find the jobs for sitters here.

M in Oz

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Heather: Loved your story, especially the image of a Siamese cat walking to the beach, licking owners plates. 😻

Machka: Congrats on completing the Cadbury event. You manage to do so much despite pain and pressure. You inspire me. Wish my DH's hospital had sitters. I spent 12 hours a day with him for 27 days straight. They had sensors on his bed straps put on whenever I wasn't there so they would know if he was trying to get out of bed.

Rita: Deep breaths. Sending a hug your way.

Rebecca: Ditto for you, dear heart. I can't believe how quickly Athena is growing up.

My sister tested negative for Covid...yay! But we mutually decided to postpone my trip to California next week. It's not worth the risk being exposed to family member who currently have symptoms. I enjoy going away to somewhere warm for my birthday, so will start mulling over some options.

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    2022 word = RENEWAL

Ooh someplace warm..... That has a wonderful ring to it!!! I too want to go somewhere warm this summer, no actually need to stay in Whidbey all summer. We have visited my middle son about 5 times and they have yet to visit us. So hopefully this next holiday season they might make the trek up. I need the coast. Maybe we can go for 2 weeks and I can just swim at a hotel pool, lye on the beach, and read great books. Sounds like heaven to me. One with a kitchenette.👍
    Hugs my sweet & strong Rori!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did Cathe’s X-Train All Out Low Impact HIIT. I can’t get over how much I feel my muscles now that I can’t exercise every day. Well, it’s not incapacitating. As a matter of fact, it feels pretty good. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise. Senior bowling and then ceramics.

Vince is very concerned. I’m worried, but not very concerned. Seems Clyde is having trouble walking on one of his hind legs. Vince is going to call the vet tomorrow

Allie – it’s great that you’ll support Carmine in going to a vo tech. I remember when it was first suggested to me for Jess. I just didn’t think that was good. Now look where she is….in vet school. How wrong I was! The vo tech gave her a good start.

Katie – that’s smart of the hospital. With shortages of personnel, to have someone else “watching over” the patient takes SOME of the load off the nurses. Smart move on the hospital’s part.

Tracey – yup, as soon as Christmas is over, the next day you will see Valentine stuff. I think it’s just horrible how the day after Labor Day you start seeing Halloween (and even Christmas) items out in the stores.

M – you ran a marathon with a broken rib????? I could never do something like that.

Barbara – no, there’s no video viewing of the mass. Even if there were, they couldn’t do it this time since there wasn’t a priest. Our pastor is elderly and somewhat stuck in the old ways of doing things. So I just live with that.

KJ – when I returned the popcorn maker, I took it to Kohl’s who has an Amazon return area. Anyway, I got a coupon good for that day for $5. I got PJ a bucket of thick chalk. I think he’ll enjoy being able to even make a mess on the driveway. Then it’ll rain and he has a new canvas! I did look at the PlayDough but I think he may be a bit young for that.

Off to make some more soup then we’ll work on the Christmas decorations in the other garage, then the decorations in the house.

Rori – happy birthday! When is it?

Annie DE – Hershey’s Kisses are around 22 calories each, just to give you another idea. Yes, not that healthy, but sometimes you just need a chocolate fix.

Michele NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Feel like I got a lot done this weekend. DD helped me yesterday get the tall cupboard in my bathroom reorganized. It takes a small ladder to get into the top of it so she got on the ladder and helped put stuff up in that part of the cupboard. Today we built a fence for the goats. It is temporary until they get the old mobile home hauled out of here but they were starting to eat the bark on some of our Douglas firs and I was afraid they might start on the sequoia. They have killed a couple of small trees in their small pen by eating the bark off them. They usually don't bother them except in the winter but I think we have a bit of winter left.

Rori - I have cancelled my San Diego trip too. My son works in pharmaceutical research there and I was going to visit him but he called and said the Covid was really rampant and he would not like for me to be sick so we will reschedule.

KJ - the winter gardens sound interesting.

Pip - Happy birthday to Yogi!!

Barbara - looked like a beautiful walk.

Believe in your capacity to change, Sue in WA
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Stopping in on my way to bed. Got lots of rest in today so am feeling much better. Humidifier has helped sinuses ease off.

Allie-I like the name Miles. I think today they are a bit quick to get mother's jumping to expressing milk and putting child on bottle. Just my opinion-I breast fed both of mine and they caught on and so did I-just took a couple of days.

Rori and Sue-sounds like postponing trips a good idea right now. I was very nervous traveling to Phoenix for Christmas-but they had less of a surge there than at my home. Hopefully in another month or so travel will be much safer.

Work should be ok this week. I have several meetings but they are spaced out. See urologist on Friday-hoping for answers.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    Had a last minute walk with my friend- we haven't walked in months and it felt great. That last couple laps around the park were a little slower than the rest but we did just over 1 1/2 hrs. Part of the way through my watch started buzzing- thought it was low battery- nope, that is the first time with this new one that I hit 10,000 steps!! By the time I got home, I was at 15,000 for the day so far(and it is still pretty early, not that I will get too many more steps in this evening) Won't feel a bit guilty eating my taco salad that I picked up. We will walk again next Sunday I think. Dh will be out of town all day so I have plenty of time to do it.
    Zumba tomorrow night- still enjoying that- look forward to getting out of the house for it.Class is still very small- last week there were just 4 of us, including the instructor. No masks because we can stay over 25ft apart.
    Didn't get as much sleep as I wanted last night- neighbors had a party. Live band played(set up against our side fence) until 11PM and then the Spanish radio station blaring until about 2. It would quiet down then I guess their favorite song came on and they would sing to it and that high pitch " Yi Yi Yi" or what ever it is- the music wasn't bad but that other was a bit much. Got to sleep then dh woke me up a little before 8(he had fallen asleep even before the band stopped.

Got on the scale again today- one week after being back on track(tracking and weighing) and I am down 1 pound. Would have liked a little more but better than going up.

Daycare girl goes back to school tomorrow- 3 weeks off for Christmas break. I have her 3 hrs less each day but have to drive over to get her. We will have lunch at the park so she can see her friend- haven't seen her since break started.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Machka - here in Alberta sitters are supplied by a security company. I worked in that department of one the security companies I worked for 8 years.

Heather - sunshine would be welcome here, so would some warmer temperatures.

Barbara - what a beautiful area.

Kelly - I read an article about Encanto yesterday and thought I should watch it.

Eileen - that doesn’t sound selfish to me. My in-laws have had one grandchild or more living with them for years. I always wish they could have an empty nest. They deserve it. It’s gotten to the point now though that the one granddaughter that is there the most does a lot for them and makes sure they are taking their meds properly and such.

I finished tidying what I could this morning, then I went into the city. I picked up a bench I ordered, some throw pillows and a throw blanket. I’m looking forward to getting the tree down over the next few evenings. I don’t think I’ve ever had it up this long. I am enjoying it though.

I just read that Bob Saget has passed away. My daughter’s grew up with Full House. My eldest wanted to change her name to DJ and my youngest tried to change her name to Michelle. At least her middle name is Michelle.

Tracey in Edmonton

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

M – you ran a marathon with a broken rib????? I could never do something like that.

Michele NC

:lol:

No!

I ran a 10K (10 kilometres) with a subluxated rib.

Subluxation is a partial dislocation. One of my ribs is partially dislocated in the back where it connects to the spine. We figure I had a massive muscle spasm last Monday night which pulled the rib out of place. As the muscle spasm relaxes, the rib should return to where it belongs. It was gradually feeling better throughout the week -- down to a dull ache, a little bit worse with certain movements.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2022
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Machka, sitters? Now, wouldn’t that be nice? All of the sitters that I know do it at the patient’s home. In non-Covid times people would hire someone to sit with a patient but we can’t do it now because it we would still only be allowed to name two people. And it’s all private pay. The hospital doesn’t provide them. Now I do know that hospice provides respite sitters and/or lets your loved one go to a hospice house for a few days to provide respite for the family caregivers. I’ve had a couple of friends with terminally ill family members that took advantage of that. One would do her grocery shopping while the respite giver sat with her husband.

I'm a bit surprised and saddened that the hospital expects you (the family) to do it all. :(

Machka - here in Alberta sitters are supplied by a security company. I worked in that department of one the security companies I worked for 8 years.

Tracey in Edmonton

I'm not sure where they come from here ... whether they work for the hospital itself or are on contract from another organisation. I just came in one day, when my husband started to become a little bit more mobile, and there was a person sitting next to him. The nurse told me he had been assigned a sitter and that all patients with mobility but also with other issues (like a desire to pull out all their lines or who might fall) are assigned sitters.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) We did no decorating for the holidays so we have nothing to take down or put away, but each morning and evening when I walk, I notice fewer lights in the yards I pass.

:) I walked this morning with the dogs, then went to get groceries. There were very few items not available. I walked for half an hour with the dogs midday, then an hour with my Sunday walking friend. I just got back from a 25 minute walk while I talked on the phone with my friend in California. Step count is over 22,000 for the day.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Chilly chilly here in Connecticut and have to get Carmine to school.. will come back here and tidy the place up ,run the vacuum and do the dishes that Carmine said they did ,ugh.Will take my stuff home and do a load of laundry and then find out when the new little family is coming home.
    Kyle has to come down and probably take a shower ,change and get the car seat.. nothing like waiting until the last minute... and they wont let them go home unless they have it placed in correctly lol
    So there is that.. it is cold and windy and i have to get the dog out but have to put ice melt out first and the gate closed so have to put the boots on to get thst open too. Yuck
  • Machka9
    Options
    Weird day.

My holiday is over and work begins again.

I was just about to head off to work this morning when I got an email from a coworker that included the phrase, "now that we're working from home".

Pardon?

I started sending emails to find out what was going on. Yep, most people moved to work from home over the weekend.

I went in anyway to finish a job that needed doing, and then I started going through everything paper on my desk. My last day is the 18th so I need to do some sort of transition and handover. I can do most of it via computer but I do need to clear my desk. I thought I could finish it today, but evidently I collected more than I thought so I'll be going in tomorrow too. And I might be bringing my computer and everything home to work from home for the last few days.

So that was unexpected.

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3