Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 36min 9sec, 127elev, 3.14ap, 80ahr, 93mhr, 5.19mi= 484c
    Strava app= 627c
    Zwift home bike trainer- Strava stats- 11hr 23min 17sec, 367elev, 16.2amph, 77aw, 127ahr, 164mhr, 22.52mi= 632c
    Strava app= 369c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 23min 18sec, 370elev, 77aw, 63arpm, 16.21amph, 22.5mi= 370c

Total cal 1116
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Barbie: Many thanks. I so agree. Connection with like-minded people makes thing flow better.
    Barbara: Sorry to hear about your mail. We are fortunate that ours is still delivered through the letterbox.
    Machka: I hope HR deliver what they promised.
    Dr Katie: (((Hugs))) It’s a difficult time when our elders begin to show their age. 💕💖💕
    Lisa: 😾 Just when we thought that your medics were on the ball.
    Betsy: That’s great news about your sister.

(((Hugs))) for those needing them,
    🥳 Congratulations 🥳 to those celebrating 🤗 Welcome 🤗 to the newbies!

I am off to bed early as we are out early for our weekly shopping in the morning.

Will get caught up tomorrow.

☘️ Terri

(Pg 2)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Pip, we need pics! Let us see your new treads!👍💖
    Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    MelleeLag wrote: »
    I’m 53 and brand new here — just signed up! I need to lose about 55lbs 😩 Looking forward to learning from you guys, becoming way more active and learning how to count calories.
    exermom wrote: »

Mellee Lag – welcome!. The way I count calories is during the day I jot down on a piece of paper what I had. Then, maybe late afternoon I log everything and then see where I am. Sometimes I have to eliminate something (like maybe a dessert) to meet my calorie goal. Also, after I log everything, I look to see if there are any adjustments I can make in the future. An example of this was that a sweet potato, while really healthy, is a bit high on the calorie chart. So...what I do is I usually have ½ a potato. Getting benefit of the vitamins and other good stuff, but a bit better on the calories

Michele NC

The way I log is to use the Quick Tools option to Copy Yesterday and have a look at the number of calories over I am.

Then I either remove some items (and don't eat them) or exercise to burn that number of calories.

Machka in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip- Congrats on your new monkey feet! Excellent for athletes like you. WTG!!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Barbie thanks for getting us into a new month!!

Sue I hope you had a fantastic Birthday! 🥳🎉🎂🎉🥳

I know that a lot of ladies on here have already met their weight loss goal and are in maintenance. Since it is the beginning of a new month and a lot of new people are here it might be a good idea to give them your best tip to weight loss success!

My best tip is to never give up. Continue to use this app and count your calories and figure out what works best for you! A lot of us have been on here for 8 years or longer!

💞 Mary from Arizona/ Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies im beat about ready to go to sleep..busy day wasnt supposed to pick Carmine up from school but got a call from mom that she wanted a ride.. so i had to sprint up there and pick them up. And of course someone wanted McDonalds..so off we went.. when I dropped them off they daid just leave laptop in the car i said you sure you dont need it ,they said no.. i get home and all settled in guess what? They need it.. ughhh thank goodness im only a few blocks away but good gracious...
    We are supposed to get nasty weather on friday so dont know if Carmine will have school or I will be out in the weather we shall see
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are looking for a new puppy. There is a Poodle breeder near us who is expecting a litter soon. We have never had a poodle. We hope to eventually see the pups and choose one. Our last pup snuggled behind my back and that was it. Pup chose me. He was Schooner and passed away from cancer a year ago. We have missed him. I hope the new pup will be happy & healthy, and will never get cancer. Keeping my fingers crossed. ❤️
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thank you for the new month.

Reading along.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    This is my usual work day ... quick & convenient ...

11:30 am snack - crackers & cheese or a banana - 100 cals

q99u9dgskq33.png

2:00 pm lunch - rice, chicken, veg - 337 cals

75bdf6j0vi11.pngdz3l2xuhpx20.png3twko9cq9nae.png

3:30 pm snack - yogurt (175 grams) - 73 cals

xap43b4seve3.png

4:30 pm snack - either apple (or other fruit) or crackers & cheese - 100 cals

Sub-total: 610 cals

7:00 pm dinner - lots of veg + something else - usually about 400 cals, but occasionally more. Once in a while even as much as 700 cal!

Sub-total: 1010 cals

And then a couple evening snacks around 8:30 pm. These are what I often have to "counteract" with exercise. If I don't do much exercise, I can maintain my weight like nobody's business! But if I eat fewer snacks and/or exercise more, I lose weight.

Machka in Oz
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Michele, no the rules changes were usually either sent out in an email, or I would find out on the news that our provincial health officer had changed something. The two worst rules were having to be there only at set times, (had to book an appointment), and then only being able to stay for an hour. I need an hour and a half to do a proper workout, cool down and stretch.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Just skimming.

Barbara, ah if there are not locks on those that makes for an easy-ish solution in theory.
    In the old days no locked mailboxes, no locked doors...I don't know how it is now everywhere.
    in my old unlocked -doors town ; a friend who lives there now has alarms with codes he has to turn off when he gets home.

In France burglary is said to be common so even or especially in a country home one would always lock the doors when out.
    I guess maybe we locked doors at night when I was a kid. probably the front door at best. not sure about the back doors, cellar doors, etc very doubtful that we would lock them.

For mail it would seem essential to lock mailboxes, since so many are even shredding papers, (I finally have started to). Living in a big city there are a few (not many) discrete people who regularly go through trash selectively in the morning at around 7. I don't know if they are just looking for food or something of value to sell, or if some of them look for identity info. All is possible so now I shred things with my name and personal info.

By the way are worker's rights collective of which I am very key person, is getting more and more visibility, and a very a good reputation. We are, to some degree, a sort of nexus that some other groups contact and refer to. We are often invited to meetings, or often welcomed if we ask other people, even of rather high status to meet with us (usually online), or to support us : this due to years of diligent, collective work. <3

Wishing you all a good day.

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Tips: What Barbie said. 😂 couldn’t put it better myself
  • Machka9
    edited February 2022
    Options
    cprmqudo0iy1.png

Tips that have worked for me
    Put your current numbers into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Choose how much you'd like to lose (i.e. 1 lb/week)
    MFP will give you the number of calories to eat
    Eat those calories
    ... and weigh (with food scale) and log every bite.

A few extra things have helped me along the way:

1) Exploring my grocery stores and markets to find delicious, filling low calorie foods. It's amazing what's out there.

2) Exercising as much as possible. Exercise gives me extra calories to work with so that I can have things like pizza now and then ... but to keep my sanity and not wear myself out, my exercise quantity varies as does what I do for exercise.

Also, I tend not to eat all my exercise calories back.
    If I've just done a little bit of exercise like a 3 km walk or something, I'll eat about 50% of my calories back.
    If I've done a moderate amount of exercise like a 5 km run or 50 km bicycle ride, I'll eat about 75% of my calories back.
    If I've done a lot of exercise, like a half marathon or a 100 km bicycle ride, I might eat about 90% of my calories back.

3) Eating how I want to eat. This is where everyone is different ... some people prefer to employ fasting, others like high protein diets, some like vegetarian diets, some like to eat 2 or 3 meals a day, others like to graze. Go with what works for you.

Personally, if I had to define what I do, my diet is probably most similar to a Mediterranean diet with a vegetarian lean ... and I'm a grazer. I also have to adjust what I do depending on my cycling events ... they're tricky because I need the fuel without going overboard.

Stick to it for 5 weeks, then reassess how things are going. :)

Regarding Cheat Meals
    When I was on a mission to lose weight in 2015, I never went over my calorie limit. I stuck to the plan like glue. And I lost the weight.

But I broke it up into weeks. When I started I had 15 weeks until we were going to Canada so my plan was to stick to the calorie limit for 15 weeks and then take a 1-month break while we were in Canada. I did that and lost 15 kg in that time. After the 1-month break, I eased back into it for a couple weeks, upped my calorie limit slightly, and then stuck to it like glue for the next 20 weeks in which I lost 11 kg and took me close to Christmas when I took another break for about a month.

10 Things to Stop Doing If You Want to Exercise
    https://www.verywellfit.com/things-to-stop-if-you-want-to-exercise-1231403

A little bit about me ...
    I'm Machka and I am a Canadian/Australian in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography
    -- colouring
    -- gardening ... this is a really new thing for me!

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, etc.

Most of my day is spent working with health data, doing some of the hobbies/sports/activities above and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and cat, Rhody.

My husband is not able to work anymore, so one of his main activities is gardening. He works at that at his own pace and we've got quite a lovely garden of flowers, fruit and veggies. We've also built a beehive but we still need bees!

This is Rhody ... an all black, year old "domestic" who joined us at the end of March 2020. :)

nneinev2ot4y.png

I joined MFP in February 2015 and promptly lost 15 kg, took a 1-month break, then lost another 11 kg. By Christmas 2015, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen in quite a few years ... since my early 30s.

In 2016, 2017 and the early part of 2018 I maintained while increasing my cycling. My sport, within cycling, is ultradistance cycling: Audax, Randonneuring, 24-hour races, etc.

Here's me in 2016 in Brisbane, QLD a couple days after cycling a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks. I'm 49 years old there. :)

vus7bcn66jq3.png

In late 2017 and early 2018, my husband and I were in great shape and feeling good. We were cycling events and on our own and building up the distances in the hopes of going to France in 2019 to ride the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km event. We met on a Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, and the 2019 one was going to be a bit of an anniversary trip.

And then on March 22, 2018, my husband had a very bad accident at work ... and life changed. He was in a coma for 3 weeks and post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks and in hospital for 100 days. Then, a year after the accident, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure which set him back. He'll never fully recover but he's doing better then they originally predicted.

He is cycling again but gets very tired so can't cycle consistently or for long distances.

Because cycling is something we've always done together, this means I'm not cycling the ultra long distances at this point either. In an attempt to boost my exercise we've set up a home gym, and I've got into running again. I hadn't run since I was in my late teens!

But all the time sitting at the hospital and dealing with the aspects of care for my husband, plus working, plus attending university took its toll on my weight and I don't look like that picture above anymore! :open_mouth: However, in the last few months I have dropped about 5 kg, but I'd really like to lose more.

So that's me in a rather large nutshell. :)

Machka in Oz
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The blue skies in my recent photos of Hove are because we had record breaking sunshine for January! :D
    Also only 30% of the normal rainfall for the month.
    Hence my morning runs.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Your photos are fabulous - it's always great to see the sea B)
    Paula in Oxford (UK)