Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Pip— Rest well. ❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Just popping in from phone to get updates from pip Michele and Katla .
    Pip doing happy dance for the good news and hope the pain eases soon.
    Karen oh my very dear God! Thankful he’s in a different and better group home now. His artistic talent makes his depression/confusion all the more heartbreaking.

May fill in more later if I get on the pc.

Lighter lovelies !
    🐶
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Went to the MD, told the PA that I was 99.9% sure it was sciatica and she agreed and prescribed prednisone for me, which is what I expected. Took my first dose today. To me, it is starting to feel better. But is this psychological? Who knows?

Had the last Newcomer bowling for the season. For some reason, nothing I did helped. I was lucky to break 50. I tried EVERYTHING, moving, etc. But nothing seemed to help. I was definitely the gutter ball queen

Yippee pip!!!!!!!!

Karen VA – Vince’s mother has this really nice sewing cabinet. Unfortunately, we can’t figure out how to wind the bobbin and my sewing machine won’t go in the cabinet. I’m afraid we’re going to have to donate it. I do have my grandmother’s pedal sewing machine. I remember as a kid pumping that pedal. Good memories. Is it ever heavy! So glad you had such a wonderful experience giving your mother’s sewing machine away. Knowing that it’s being used in such a wonderful way makes giving it away so much less painful. Your brother’s art is truly awesome

Lucy – Rebecca ALWAYS posts pics of her wonderful meals. Honestly, sometimes I just have to skip them – they make me so hungry...lol

Guess that’s about it for now. Nite everyone

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    nanacutler wrote: »
    Machka wrote:
    The dry stream I'm putting together in the front yard could have a zen element to it. :)
    Machka in Oz

What is a dry stream?

It's a "riverbed" with no water. See image.
    9ab8716gmsp9.jpeg

Yep! :)

evie1958 wrote: »
    Machka, love the dry stream! I've seen stuff like that before, didn't know what it was called, but it really is pleasing to the eye.

Evelyn, Vancouver Island

My dry stream plan ...
    Machka9 wrote: »

Here's what I've got ... or had last spring ...

m2ynxlbf3wdw.png

What I'm trying to create is something along these lines ... :):)

hbt6upc39ql3.png

8k1e52igiv68.png

I am finding that this garden work is similar to the Pilates classes we were taking for some time. I'm feeling the muscle pain in similar areas!! Shoulders, hips, hamstrings, glutes. Who would have thought that gardening would be a workout!!

Machka in Oz

I've got nearly all the supplies and I've got a 3-day weekend ahead, so I'll see how much progress I make. :) It might be a bit of experimentation since I've never done this before.

The plan is that it will be dry most of the time, but I am thinking of setting it up so that if it rains, it may become a real stream.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Terri Richardson— Slowly letting go of heirlooms is not easy. I have been unable to let go of three heirlooms that were my moms. Her piano was a fixture in our house and playing it gave her pleasure. I am not skilled. Mom also left me a beautiful hand carved wooden trunk. The third gift is a hand made grandmother clock. Her sister bought it for her someplace along the southern Oregon Coast. It is made from Oregon Myrtle wood. Clearly I am not good at giving away those treasures. I will someday pass them along to my adult kids. ❤️
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    <3
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Tracey, happy to hear that the payroll system is almost ready to go! Crazy how it's taken over a year to get to that point!
    Karen, your brother's art is.... I have no words to describe how lovely it is!
    Rita, happy that your son was not only willing to talk to you this week, but wants to again next! I hope all goes well for him (and you, of course!)
    My hubby has been having trouble with his hands, they are numb in parts and swollen and they hurt. They also tingle a lot, like the circulation has been cut off and finally restored, he finds it very draining, as I'm sure I would also. Anyway, he finally managed to get an in person appt with our GP, he asked me to drive (a surprise in itself!) as he didn't feel comfortable as his hands were sore. We get to the office, I can't go in, but had an errand to quickly run at a place nearby. Drop him off, run the errand, go back and then the text messages start..... Seems the office had no record of an appt for him! Don't know what happened there, because in order to make an in person appt, you must call the office and actually speak to a person. Fortunately GP agreed to see him but that he would have to wait a few minutes, hubby texted "I don't know what their few minutes is like, but if I'm not out of here soon, I'm walking" meaning he would leave the office. I texted back that there was no way that was happening as this business has gone on too long already! Anyway, he did see the doc, and now has a script for an anti inflammatory, x-rays were ordered and doc is putting in a referral to a place where they check nerve functions. X-ray was just walk in, no appt necessary, so we stopped there on the way home, he was in and out in about 10 min! Now we just have to wait for the nerve thing..... We are all hoping for carpal tunnel, but it could be something to do with the nerves in his neck (hence the cervical x-ray) or it could even be something to do with his L5 vertabrae, he had a herniated disc there and has permanent nerve damage in his leg and to find out now that it could be affecting his hands too is beyond frustrating! Oh well, we will just have to wait and see..... Unfortunately, with our overworked and understaffed medical system here, wait is the operative word.
    I am still working on the resin casting, I will take photos soon and post them, some of it is turning out really well! There are some experiments too..... lol, but all in all, I'm happy with the direction it's all going!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Karen - I knew there was something I'd forgotten to comment on. Your brother's art is incredible. I am having a hard time putting it in words, but it reminds me of how I feel when the wind gently moves me in the same direction I'm walking, with a beautiful scene in front of me. His subjects are both active and serene, and his sense of motion and movement is absolutely stunning. So pleased his medical woes are finally resolving, for both of you.

Lisa in AR
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have been reading and taking notes but not capturing everything.

Barbara Southern Oregon-I do a couple of IT band stretches depending on my mood.
    “Iliotibial band stretch: Standing, cross your uninjured leg in front of your injured leg and bend down and touch your toes. You can move your bands across the floor toward the uninjured side and you will feel more of a stretch on the outside of your injured leg. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Return to starting position. Repeat three times.” (Sports Medicine Patient Advisor)

“Supine ITB Stretch with Strap: Begin by lying on your back with your legs straight and a strap secured around one foot, holding the end in you opposite hand. Pull the strap to draw your leg diagonally across your body and hold, feeling a stretch on the outside of your leg. Make sure to keep shoulders and hips on the ground during the stretch.” (Medbridge) I do three sets of 30 seconds each leg

Rita-glad visit with son went well. Sounds like he may be receiving help.

Julie-exposures are scary. Hoping for negative!

Machka-gardening can indeed be a workout. Your yard looks beautiful.

Lisa-some of us may not show the Mama Tiger often-but it is there!

Emergency Info-my MIL used the freezer bottle (vial of life). They had residents at her senior’s complex put them there and a sign on door of freezer indicating they have them. I keep medical record up to date on iphone. When you hit emergency on lock screen, they can access that part of phone without a pass code.

Pip-while I was thinking your logging streak is awesome-your report from the doctor is outstanding! Congratulations!

Evelyn-I had the hand numbness, etc., from herniated cervical discs. Surgical fusion helped. Now 25 years later some return (repairs only last so long!)

Weather here keeps flirting with spring-will be colder this weekend. A couple of stressful issues at work. Otherwise, life rolls on.

Prayers/positive thoughts for all who need them.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Woke up and am feeling rested which is amazing in itself.usually I wake up and still feel tired.
    Its a rainy day here and I have to drop Carmine off at school ,and go see Miles.then go get the oil changed in the car,Carmine has a drs appointment so that works.. then im sure I will be back to help with the little guy.
  • Tomsgal1985
    Tomsgal1985 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Hello, all! Just found this thread & thought I’d hop in 🥰 You all seem so kind & supportive of one another. I’m about to turn 65 and was a longtime SparkPeople member (as Tomsgal85). This thread reminds me of Spark’s Community Forum. I’m a reader and a lurker most of the time, unless I need prayer, which is often! ☺️

Have a blessed day, one & all ☀️❤️

Susan in Central Florida 🌸
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I have the house to myself again, so I have been just pleasing myself. I think I might actually go and do a little bit of shopping.

Michele: It doesn’t really matter if it’s psychological so long as it’s working. 😂 I would accept it either way.
    Tracey: Most of the Canada geese have left here to fly back to your neck of the woods. We have quite a lot that overwinter in Strangford Lough about 6 miles from us.

@susanshaughnessy80 Hi , Susan
    Welcome to the group. Jump right in if and when the spirit moves you.

Barbie: I can understand his change of heart. I often go through phases of doing things like making bread, and then fall out of love with the idea.

We are having a lovely settled spell of weather. It’s so nice to be able to get out and wander round the garden and do a little bit of this and that. Our clocks change this weekend coming, so we will have much more daylight in the mornings.

🥳🎉 Hallelujah to those celebrating
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them
    🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    For all of you armchair travellers, (KJ? et al), I found this on Instagram this morning, posted by the wonderful Rowan Mangan.

7glrrt196ji4.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Lake Louise.

Makes me a bit "homesick". Last time I was there was in 2017 ... which was also the last time I saw my family.

M in Oz

• hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My mother would let things go if she was alive - so I can let them go, too. I am a sentimental fool, but my experience with my mother's sewing table made me realize that if I am holding on to items only out of nostalgia or especially out of guilt, they are burdensome rather than sparking joy. Mom (in heaven) gives me permission to get rid of ANYTHING.

Karen in Virginia, thrilled for PIP

My problem is that my parents were both children of deprivation growing up and they are/were semi high end hoarders. They dont want to get rid of ANYTHING and have downsized to three storage units and my house. Its insane. They freak out if I try to sell stuff for less than what they paid for it. And donating? whoa. I hear you - its HARD!

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    My mom and dad were ones who would say you never know it you'll need it one day. I too strugle with this message. I make progress in fits and starts. The biggest thing is I quit going to garage sales and rarely visit a thrift store. I only go if there is something specific I am looking for. Same goes for regular shopping. I stick to my list. I steer clear of the clearance aisle too.

I too say once something is gone I no longer have to deal with that item. I still have way too much. I will clean a spot and will see that it is better. If something breaks or is worn out my first response is do I already have something I can repalce it with or can I fix it before I run out to replace it.

DH is more likely to try and sell things than I am. I either give it away, donate, or toss it.