WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2022

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options

Decided that that yoga DVD just isn’t for me. WAYYYYY too difficult inversions. So off to the Salvation Army this DVD goes. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise. It’s supposed to be nice so maybe I’ll wash the windows. Was about to take a walk around the block but it’s still a little too chilly. Or maybe I’m looking for an excuse. Hope not. Hoping to wash and wax the car today. Update: Vince wants to cut the grass since they're calling for rain Tuesday. That means that I'll be able to go to the gym.

Allie – so sorry you had the vertigo

Just made some stuffed clams for me to have later. Need to let them cool before I put them in the containers.

Pip – now I know where the Energizer bunny is!!!

Trimmed the cat’s nails yesterday and gave them Revolution. Washed my "expensive" sheets (the ones that cost $8)

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you were given the opportunity to acquire a new qualification of some sort, what would you choose?

Machka in Oz

My interests and education have wandered all over the place. I love taking classes. :) Some have lead to degrees, diplomas and certificates ... others have just been for interest like the Understanding TBI course I took last year, the photography course, the MYOB course, etc.

Right now, I don't want to get into a degree/diploma/certificate thing. I have enough on my plate. In fact, I don't see me taking any classes this year ... way too much learning going on in my jobs.

But if I follow my usual pattern, in about 4-5 years, I could be into another degree/diploma/certificate thing. I don't know if it will be a PhD or something more technical like a Paralegal or Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Engineering.

Between now and then, I could see myself doing things like ... art classes, voice lessons, another photography course, French (again or more), project management (in fact, I've got a course in my sights which I was hoping to start soon but things got too busy), website development, and more. I love taking classes. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    hryjn3hehwwh.png
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Ooh look how far I have gotten!
    utc5igvueovk.png
    Its been fun!
    Texted with eldest today, it was warm where he's at. I said well it's 75% humidity. I have at my fingertips the weather to anywhere!
    He seemed likes he's doing well.
    Rebecca
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    Options
    Every day I'm learning French, Spanish and German. Now, Norwegian too! :o
    I'm learning a huge amount about cptsd for my book. I am fascinated by psychology and brain health. I currently am reading two books about memory. I am fascinated by physical and mental healing.
    I have endless curiosity about almost everything. I am a very fast reader, for which I am grateful. I devour history, culture and politics and want to know everything about any country, or city, I visit. My interests tend to come in waves, so, if I get stuck into a subject, I read constantly, everything available. A couple of years ago, it was genetics, or anthropology. At the moment it is the junction between science and spirituality. Can't get enough! :p I love reading other people's experiences of life and their insights. Especially if it's uplifting.

Much love to everyone. Keep that curiosity alive! :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    <3
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Barbara, the earthquake was on the north end of the island, we're on the south, so no, didn't feel a thing. and not sad about that....
    Sue, no more trailer - yay!!
    Machka, looks like a lovely holiday. I have also been reading books that I'm not sure are a good thing for just before bed, I've been reading murder mysteries lately. I've really been enjoying them, but I do have to pay attention to the time as I'm getting near the end because I want to know "who dunnit"!
    Heather, the cruise looks fabulous! It's nice that you did a few things for your DH's family, I'm sure they appreciated you reaching out to them.
    Lisa, congrats on a more normal day! That's quite the tree! Will you be able to use a chainsaw to make those rounds into usable sized chunks?

For the first time in a long time, I opened MFP up in two windows so that I could be reading in one and writing a post in the other. it was working great til I decided that I was finished reading, closed that window and then moved the still open window to finish my post. I lost the post! And I'm on my desktop computer.... Oh well, it is what it is. Pretty sure I forgot some of my post, but I just can't go back and re-read everything, it's already later than I should be up til!
    Several years ago I found myself out of work so I went back to school to update and improve my office skills. I took a pretty basic office admin course, it gave me a smattering of knowledge about most things office related and I was then more confidently applying for jobs. Got several interviews, but no job offers. Met a woman that I had done an exercise class with previously, we were chatting and I asked her if her place of employ was hiring. They were and she was now the manager. That's how I got my current job. Doing the schooling did help my confidence on the computer, although it's very different doing it with a textbook and doing it in real life. For instance, I never understood data bases until I was actually working with one. Oh well, if nothing else, it kept me busy for 4 months or so. I would've liked to be a pharmacy assistant and even looked into it, but I didn't take science past grade 10 (I think it was then) and one of the requirements is chem 12. Still can't figure out why you need chemistry in order to count out pills, but whatever. I'm sure there is more to it than that, but after dealing with some of the twits that I've had to deal with at the pharmacy, I'm pretty sure I could do the job.
    It finally happened in my workplace, one of my co-workers tested positive for Covid. She was exposed on a Friday and I worked with her on the Saturday, this was 10-ish days ago now. I tested myself on Wed and Thurs and came up negative both days and am feeling well, so not too worried. I will probably test at some point again in the next few days, just as an extra precaution. Sure glad that I remembered to pick up some test kits last Tuesday!
    Okay, really must go to bed now. Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Monday ... ANZAC Day ... afternoon bicycle ride.

v5e8wxsjddrt.png

6c9lw6sl4rcv.png

And exercise!!

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Whatever!
    (25/4/2022)

It’s a brand new day,
    and a brand new week.
    Time to grasp
    whatever I seek;
    to live the dream
    with a peaceful mind;
    to be content
    with whatever I find.

(C) 2022 - Terri Richardson

Our spell of fine weather has been interrupted and today is overcast. Forecast is fine for tomorrow.

I’m sorting out my summer clothes, and will donate any which don’t give me joy.

Booster is booked for 12.00.
    Monday Painters at 2pm, so some prep to do.

I have no plans for any further formal qualifications. However, I have an enquiring mind, and am involved in lifelong learning. I currently study Shakespeare, Latin, crafts, art, and anything else that catches my fancy. Like Heather, I love to learn new things.

Gotta rush, lots to do today.

🥳🎉 Cheers to those celebrating.
    Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.
    🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,506 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Joe, readings, dogs to powerline, CI<CO, CI<250<CO
    Bonus: in person church, council meeting, ‘nother load laundry
    Just one thing: back to bupkes
    Workin’ on it: Sunday 141.4, H20x5, active 3:15
    Active April
    24: Get active in nature. Go out and feed the birds or go wildlife spotting.

New male hummingbird appeared at feeder today, that makes 2 males and 1 female so far. Thanks Katla!
    Lisa, I’m a side sleeper too, so that was a concern. When I sleep on my back I get nightmares, not every time, but every time I have nightmares, I’d been sleeping on my back.
    Machka could you share a link to the kind of side sleeper’s foam pillow your DH uses? Really enjoyed Uncle Joe’s Boomer Reflections, but shouldn’t there have been something about having gone to San Francisco with a flower in my hair or down to Yasgur’s farm to join a rock and roll band?
    Beth I'd like to try the Roads Scholar thing if the adventure suited my unfitness level, but Joe simply won't travel anymore. I too like to linger longer at exhibits than other group members, maybe we need a special group ;)
    >edited, just looked at roadscholar.com and wow, those adventures are too rich for my blood! This from someone who is contemplating spending $2000 for a week long line dance workshop in Las Vegas in November ;}
    Barbie just a regular, down or foam pillow? Thanks that would be way less $pendy ;)
    Allie good advice from Tracy, you just take it and rest!
    Sue I got a wedge for Joe to ease this apnea but he hated it. I tried it for my snoring but slid off. Ended up in the donation pile. Now I wish I’d kept it to try under my legs ;) That’s why I hate decluttering/purging :astonished:
    Barbie being very easily delighted, yes! One of the keys to happiness.
    Pip fingers X’d for Wednesday.
    Like Annie I am happy to be retired, but I’d like to learn Hebrew, play guitar and keyboard, and to card wool, spin and weave…
    Evelyn Fingers X’d you continue to feel well and dodge the virus.
    Viv so very VERY glad to see you posting. Welcome back!

Did everyone who went to kindergarten in the US in the fifties, do the Hokey Pokey? Remember trying to explain it once to a visiting Japanese dignitary back when I worked for NYK. :laugh:

Time to take KJ’s advice and tell my toes, etc to “sleep, sleep, sleep. . .” so I can follow Terri’s NLNS lead ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. Getting away for a couple of days.... skimming your posts xxx.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Viv in York UK - so good to see you again! Welcome back.

Katla -
    I'm sorry you're not getting the respect you feel you deserve, dear heart. Hope things settle down quickly for you and your family.

Machka - Thank you for the Boomer Reflections! I knew every tune. Supposedly, I was born at the last gasp of the Boomers, as I was born in 1960. As for the pillow nest - that was one of the things I always did when I was traveling for work and staying alone in hotel rooms. I'd have pillows on every side except my toes. Helped me sleep, which was always an issue when traveling.

Barbara AHMOD
    - I went to kindergarten in the mid-60s, but yes, we did the Hokey-Pokey.

Terri - Thank you for the poem! Quite content as well as spritely, that one.

More on games:
    We also did something with a pair of bamboo sticks about six feet long. A kid would be on each end, kneeling, and then would tap them on the ground and then together in some form of rhythm, and another small person would jump in and out of them like they were jump ropes.

Not sure why that came to mind, but I do remember going home with bruises from it. My sense of rhythm was horrible. We did the Double-Dutch jump rope thing, as well as tetherball. We also played kickball - the same rules as baseball, but no bats. Just a big red rubber ball. The variation from baseball was that the team in the field could hit you with the big rubber ball as you were running the bases, and you were out. I was out a lot because I was slow.

Also played dodgeball (more bruises), Red Rover (ditto), and Mumblety-Peg (but only at home). Mama would only let us use butter knives, so we always played the Twister version - get a knife to stick in the ground as far away as you could, and your opponent had to move one foot or hand to it. The first one to fall over loses.

So many more, those are just the ones floating to the top of my memory at the moment. In all honesty, I'm not sure how any of us survived.

Lifetime learner here, too:
    One of the best things about being retired so far is the ability to learn as much as I want to as long as I want to about things that aren't business-related. I used to read management books or productivity books or grant writing books when I was still working, but now, I won't even pick them up. My latest interest is comparative religions, in particular, the historicity of Christianity.

The other thing about being retired is that it takes years to stop thinking, "Oh, they're hiring managers, I could manage that place." I still think it, but now the retirement part of my brain kicks in and I realize I don't need to ever send an application, revise my resume, go through interviews, or sit in meetings anymore...

Terri's poem reminded me of an old poem of mine - I wrote it nearly 20 years ago now.

Business Interests

Another business meeting
    On another set of data
    That shows nothing,
    And I try to hide a yawn.

An insane amount of effort
    Has gone into all this paper
    People making charts to show
    They still belong.

Please just let me run this for a while
    And maybe I could help them understand.

The path to hell is paved
    With all the paper you have used
    On unread memos, charts and stupid plans.

Wow - did not mean to write that much. Hope everyone's Monday is good!

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka could you share a link to the kind of side sleeper’s foam pillow your DH uses?

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2022: Be still and listen.
    9t3jkbnhrfio.gif

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/knee-pillow-for-side-sleepers#product-list

His is like the Contour Legacy pillow in the article above.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I love the history of religions too. Fascinating. I have many books on my Kindle . :D

Viv - So very happy to see you 😊 ❤

You may remember the photo I posted of DH writing his email to the CEO of Virgin savings. He got a reply straight away from the Escalated Complaints Manager. :p:p:p
    This morning he heard from him that it has all been sorted out, and DH will be getting the interest rate he wanted. Well done him. <3

Katla - Sending hugs. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Katla hugs, it's hard to feel disrespected. Does your daughter mean well? Hope you were able to tell her how you are feeling.

I am a side sleeper and use pillows under my knees if I'm sleeping on my back and a pillow between my knees if I sleep on my side. I really like the foam pillow I use between my knees and found it relieves pressure on my lower spine.

Betsy in NW WA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Barbara ... yeah, I looked at the prices for Road Scholar too ... I do a lot of dreaming

Lisa ... your "games" spoiler ... had me laughing this morning!

Terri and Lisa ... love the poems!

Going for scheduled blood labs this morning. Doctor is checking to see if medication is doing what it is supposed to do. I personally have doubts. Then going to try to do some yard clean up before the rain comes in this afternoon.

Beth