September 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    @shanaber That does look like some heavy rain and sounds pretty miserable to be in for hours. The concert looks cool though. Glad you made it home safely through all that miserable traffic. I think you had a great excuse to not run today!

@yirara Sounds like you are doing great and running when you can. Sometimes, you just can't fit it all in.

@AlphaHowls Are you getting bored with 13.1 miles? LOL

Great run @kgirlhart . Glad you have cooler weather.

@rps67 You are doing awesome. I think running that much after not running for years is fantastic! Glad you both had a good run today. You need those after a horrible one.

@Teresa502 Did you go to Rhythm and Roots? I saw that was this weekend, but have never been. Glad you all got to register for the 50K. Is that the one you have done before?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I also would love to see Duran Duran, but that sounds miserable in the rain. I hope you got to hear some good songs and enjoyed it as much as you could while soaking wet. I have been singing "Come Undone" in my head since I read your post.

@rps67 yay for a good run day! And even in the rain. Glad it was a better day for you and your daughter, that's a great lesson in not giving up.

@teresa502 good job getting your 6 miles after the tiring music festival weekend. Sounds like a fun one though! Glad you all got in to the 50k relay.

@quilteryoyo good job keeping up your fast walk streak even if you haven't had time for a lot of running. I'm sorry your pic upload didn't work because I wanted to see the new baby and a cool mushroom :)

I had another day of running a little farther than intended. Not nearly as much as yesterday though. I told my friend I'd do 3-4 miles and have coffee after. She somehow suckered me into almost 5 miles so she could finish her planned 6.4 (she always adds .4 to her training plan for mental toughness I think - getting that extra .2 after 26 miles will not be so bad if you've always added .4 is the thinking. Good for her, I say - she's so strong and determined, I really admire her dedication to training and what she's accomplished.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Super impressive @7lenny7 on your 50M race!
    @polskagirl01 ouch! Glad your fall didn't do too much damage (to you, your bike, or your watch).
    Great job on getting your 20 miler in @marisap2010! I am NOT looking forward to mine.
    @shanaber the Duran Duran concert looked fun (except for all the rain). The venue is awesome!
    Looks like a nice vacation @eleanorhawkins. Great pics, but I have no idea where the last one is from.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Another rainy morning so I opted for a mile walk on the treadmill after lower body strength class.
    @Teresa502 Did you go to Rhythm and Roots? I saw that was this weekend, but have never been. Glad you all got to register for the 50K. Is that the one you have done before?

Yes, we get tickets every year to Rhythm and Roots. There are so many good groups, many playing simultaneously. Also, lots of merchandise vendors, food trucks and all the shops and restaurants are open. And, yes, this is the 50k that I've done a few times before. The first time I participated as an individual completing the entire 50k solo but the past three years, I've been part of a 2-person relay which is much more enjoyable! Welcome to your new neighbor and yes, we need pictures!!

@polskagirl01 - Sorry about the bike wreck. Glad you didn't break anything!
    @7lenny7 - congrats on your 50 miler! Wahoo! I think I know why you beat Courtney (I saw a picture on social media) but still..... that's major!!
    Yay for taper time @marisap2010!
    @eleanorhawkins - I'm clueless as to the picture location also but it does look beautiful. Those wild boars look scary!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @lou2you2 Re: blisters and shoes. I also love brooks. My main shoe is the ghost but I have a pair of launch that I use for speed work and the treadmill and have used glycerins for recovery shoes in the past. I wear an 8.5-9 in normal shoes and a 9.5 in brooks for reference if you can’t try any on. They have a great returns policy, 90 days, so no harm done if you try them out and need to return. I also currently have a pair of Hoka Clifton’s in my rotation. I use them for recovery runs. They are too heavy and squishy for me for anything long or high effort but they feel great on tired feet. I would also really recommend looking at your socks if you get blisters. I LOVE injinji socks. They are the toe socks. I thought it would be weird feeling but you don’t notice the toes once you are running and they have cut down on the rubbing between the ends of my toes a lot. I also have a couple pairs of Feetures which I like a lot as well.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I am so impressed by your 50 miler!! That is awesome! Congrats on finishing and becoming an elite!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 lol yeah, they were running through the campsite, plus my phone camera sucks!
    They, and the deer, are not at all aggressive, in fact they're way too tame because they're used to wandering around the campsite. It's sad because they've learned there is food there, and in the winter when nobody goes up there in the snow they starve :-(

I'm guessing the ones we saw in August were similarly tame because of the touristy location, but they're huge and my experiences with boars have not been friendly, so I didn't stick around close to them with only a rented bicycle to defend myself (and my child) for long enough to find out. These boars were following their little paths straight to the trash cans, knocking them over, and pigging out.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options

1 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 2.50 miles
    2 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 2.00 miles
    3 Sept - Walk = 1.00 mile - NO RUN
    4 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 1.15 miles
    5 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 7.00 miles
    6 Sept - Walk = 2.00 mile - NO RUN - This was a slow wun
    7 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 1.30 miles
    8 Sept - Walk = 0,25 mile - Run = 2.0 miles - mowed at mom's and part of my lawn too
    9 Sept - Walk = 1.00 mile - NO RUN - finished mowing my lawn
    10 Sept - Walk = 2.00 mile - NO RUN - This was a slow wun
    11 Sept - Walk = 1.00 mile - NO RUN
    12 Sept - Walk = 0.70 mile - Run = 4.27 miles

31.67 miles/90 mile goal

I didn't have to go to work until 1 today, so got up at 8:15 with the intent of doing a 6 mile run before leaving. Well, I had to make a couple of phone calls and do a couple of other things, so got a later start than I intended. I did a 4/1 min run/walk with the walks at 3.8 mph, on the treadmill. The runs I did at 4.2-4.7, then 4.2,4.8,4.2,4.9, 4.2 and ended with 5.0 mph. After running about 1:15 m:s at 5.0 mph I felt my right hand hit something, looked down to see the kill switch falling off of the bar. I felt like it was slow motion for a couple of seconds – like those commercials where they spill something that is heading toward an important document or their cell phone (don’t know why they don’t just pick up the item that is about to get soaked) and they yell “noooooo” and crab a paper towel. Then, screen was blank and the info on time and distance was gone. I knew I was close to 4 miles, if not over and over 55 min. So, I just started it back up and ran another 3 min at 5.0 mph and then did my cool down walk. I used the paces above to calculate distance and the Garmin Connect graph to figure the time, so all is approximate today. (I did the calculations while the kids slept at daycare. LOL) Anyway, per my calculations, I ran 4.27 miles in 59:15 minutes and walked a total of 0.70 miles for warm up and cool down. Not the 6 miles I had planned, but it was better than 2 miles.

In other news, my step-granddaughter had her little baby girl today, in Florida. Elianna Sage was born at 5:12 this afternoon, weighed 8 lb, 10 oz, and was 14.25 inches long. A big girl, but not as big as her sister who weighed in at 9 lb 10 oz.

@martaindale That sounds like a great hike. Great job on getting in a 5 mile run this morning.

Nice job on keeping up your streak @kgirlhart . Sounds like great temperatures for a run. Curious as to why you don't mind running in the dark, but not walking?