WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    1948CWB wrote: »
    If you are a praying person, please say a prayer for my sister who is 9 years younger than me. She had to have exploratory surgery this week on her lung and had to have the top lobe removed because of cancer. At the moment, she is having a difficult time breathing. She did not want chemo/radiation because she had that in her 30's after breast cancer.

Carol in Ga

Hugs and prayers :heart:

• Machka9
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Communication – for a conversation, 1st choice is face to face, 2nd phone, 3rd a letter (paper and pen letter or email) 4th text. For just basic info… like sorry I am running late be there in 5 Text is the winner with a phone call next.

Smiles Kim
    In N. California

It kind of depends on the type of communication for me.

Phone calls are a definite no for me. My hearing is going and phone calls remove all the other cues I need to carry on a conversation. Plus I find them intrusive and needlessly time consuming.

Face to face is good if I have to explain something and hear something a bit complicated. I will often walk to a clinic to book an appointment face to face because I might need to explain something.

And I did a presentation to my area at work this week for something I'm working on ... that sort of face to face is good too. I can present, and then do a questions and answer thing. It's often more efficient than a series of emails.

I like Zoom and Teams meetings because I can do something else at the same time. Plus I don't have to leave work or home to go to the meetings. I had 4 such meetings this week. 1 work meeting which I attended from home because I wasn't well, and 3 "club" meetings: 2 bicycle and 1 bees.

Emails are probably my favourite method of communication. I am a quick typist (between 60 and 70 wpm depending on what I'm typing), and emails allow me to say everything, and then double check it for spelling, grammar and content. I can include pictures, diagrams, attachments, links, etc.

I used to write a lot of letters, and people comment on how good my handwriting is, but my writing speed is significantly slower than my typing speed. Plus then I've got to do the whole mailing the letter thing which is also time consuming.

I don't text or messenger very often, but will use them for quick notes to/from a few people. If I want to have an online, typed conversation, I'll switch to email.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    Yy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Wow you tired me out just reading all the moving and rearranging😁👍🏻! I bet they burned a bunch of calories though huh? Good on ya guy!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
    (Sipping on my protein shake)

Be sure to follow the protein shake up with lots of water and maybe something high in fibre like raw fruit or veg.

bqeb7s4ex81o.png

• Machka9
    Rainy day in Tassie.

Figured it was a good day to clean the bathroom.

I've read that Hillmark Cerapol Ceramic Glass & Induction Cooktop Cleaner is also good for cleaning the inside of glass shower doors and walls and so I tried it by cleaning a panel a couple weeks ago and it did seem to do the job. Today I scrubbed out the shower with it, and it's sparkling. :)

vh4oabnwzb8e.png

Our tub (separate from the shower), I use to wash my feet and legs after I've been working in the garden, so it often has a little layer of sand. :) I plan to rinse that down today too.

The bathroom is always the first room I'll clean and the one I'll clean the most often.

M in Oz

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Ginny - I'm wishing you a really great recovery from your operation. Take your time and be kind to yourself. <3

I'm starting to put together my next book. Slowly. Very slowly. I had an idea for the intro today while I was on the exercise bike, but because I didn't write it down straight away, I forgot it. ;)

We found the dead mouse on the stairs just now. It hadn't appeared since Monday morning, so I thought it had crawled away to die. I do feel sorry that we went down the poison route. Poor thing. We now have a humane trap for any future appearances of any friends.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Barbara Mine is a stand up elliptical/stepper. I have it between two recliners so I can put a hand on the back of either one if I need to steady myself. I do lots of walking but this elliptical uses different muscles in my legs and glutes and abs,

Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Macha you would be welcome but we might need these instead ;) It is NEVER a good day to clean the bathroom :laugh:

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2022: Be still and listen.
    October: Move more (make that 7400 step goal), fuel better (more protein + veggies, less sugar), live NOW (continue mindful time with Joe, pay more attention to Shadow and Tumble).

While the rest of my house can be less than clean, my bathroom needs to be clean otherwise I just feel icky in there. This time, I did a lot of cleaning, right down to scrubbing my combs and decanting those 3/4 empty conditioner bottles, then tossing them.

I usually take care of the bathroom, and my husband takes care of the toilet room. I'm less keen on doing the toilet room, but will touch it up now and then.

Just to explain a bit ... in many Australian homes, the bathroom and toilet room are separate like in the floor plan below. That's not our floor plan, but it is an example of how bathrooms and toilet rooms are set up.

1fvl0wx8ainv.png

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    DH called me this morning. We are both worrying about our heath provider situations. We both want to be in the apartment. Keeping our fingers crossed for a good outcome.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,128 Member
    Barbara- it was a slate with the greeting written on it in icing. The candle was stuck in a macaron. :p They gave us two complementary chocolate truffles.
    Nice they bothered as we only had the inclusive lunch menu, not a la carte.
    Is one-off cleaning a possibility in your location? Obviously pricey, but once it's done it's so much easier to keep it nice.
    You have all inspired me to have a go at the inside of my oven. You may remember I did the glass door a couple of weeks ago.

Waitrose delivery this afternoon. Homemade pizza for dinner.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,823 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,436 Member
    Uu
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,288 Member
    Morning, afternoon or evening, y'all...

Heather - your images of your results are what inspired me to clean the oven door--I just couldn't stop there! :smiley: Which really is just one of the hazard to tasks like this for me: They take up all my mental energy as well as physical. If I'm not working on the task, I'm thinking about it or going to buy something necessary to complete it. Or driving my husband into boredom by talking about it... bless his heart.

Anyway, all that effort might seem wasted on cleaning an oven, but hey, the oven's clean, and I probably won't think about it again for another five years. Which will drive my best friend around the bend... She's the one who believes in maintaining strict cleanliness so she seldom has to do a major project like that. I will be getting a lecture today on how to get an oven clean on a regular basis so these projects don't have to be done at all. She also owns a Roomba, and her entire house is arranged on that--her chairs live upside down on the table so the automatic vacuum cleaner can get under there. All large furniture pieces like couches etc. were bought with tall enough legs that the vacuum could get under them, and so on. I try not to live my life around any technology, I think it should adapt to me.

And to Kim and Barbara, I charge consultant rates - $25 per 15 minutes. Oven cleaner is cheaper! B) For a little incentive, though, I just pulled buttermilk biscuits out of the oven. They usually take 30 minutes at 400 degrees. They took 22 minutes, and were nearly overdone.

OK - while talking to y'all, I've gotten the second load of laundry in to wash, and I need to get the first load out to the clothesline. I also stopped a minute and looked at my phone (speaking of technology) and finally figured out why it kept turning black and white each morning, no color at all. I inadvertently set my "bedtime" setting on Android to end at 7 a.m., and that was one of the choices.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,288 Member
    Carol - I'm so glad the news for your sister is good! Also glad to see you out and about with friends... the pandemic has been tough on a lot of you who are city dwellers, I know... I hope it's a lovely visit, and happy birthday in advance to your son!