WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk/slow jog w/yogi- 1hr 38min, 55elev, 3.51ap, 115ahr, 164mhr, 6.11mi= 633c *stopped by estate sale which slowed down my pace*
    Strava app = 749c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 29.24min, 266elev, 128aw, 20.9amph, 40gear, 110amph, 144mhr, 10.21mi= 227c
    Strava app = 216c
    Zwift stats- 29.28min, 269elev, 128aw, 49arpm, 20.77amph, 10.2mi= 216c
    Other- PT therapy exercises, 3sets of 10 each, 3 different exercises 16.57min= 60c

Total cal 920
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    z0hcihk5ogon.jpeg

This is the love seat glider Emerson and I picked up from the auction house this morning. There is a matching chair glider. I love them. They will be great on the porch of our new apartment.

And the kitchen chairs did arrive at the senior apartment from Wayfair. Fortunately, Stephanie, the practical and helpful assistant manager, intercepted them and put them into our storage unit.

Karen in Virginia

Beautiful! Remember the glider I bought a couple years back, repainted, replaced the slats? Most uncomfortable piece of furniture I've ever sat on in my life... :smiley: some things don't work out like you plan... The Stephanies of this world are worth their weight in gold...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa, well crap on a cracker. you went through a labor of love for that glider just to have it turn out unusable. poo
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Well, I am feeling terrified after reading about all these aging plans. If my husband goes before me, I have never handled things like taxes, property insurance, renters, caring for brother-in-law, selling property, etc. I have always paid a large majority of the every day living expenses, but, I have no head (brain???) for anything else. Never ever lived on my own so feel totally incompetent. Like Karen, I love my son but he is always too busy with his own life and family to take on that responsibility. I just have to trust that the Lord will put someone there to help me!

Carol in GA

Carol - do you and your husband have your wills and medical and financial powers of attorney done? Having those documents ready took a LOT of stress off me when DH passed.

I agree with the other gals - some day when he feels like talking, see if you can get him to write down where the bank accounts are, account numbers, passwords, etc. Does he have a budget?

Perhaps he's already done that. ;)

If he does pass first, a lot of people will be glad to help you. Your banker. Your attorney. Accountants can often refer people to bookkeeping services who do your tasks all of the time. Yes, they'll charge you but probably not that much. Area Agency on Aging often has a resource book listing businesses who can give you assistance in all the areas you mentioned. Your county or city might have someone in the public health department that helps seniors navigate all this stuff.

Please try not to worry about it, maybe start doing some investigating as you have time to see what safety nets are out there so you don't drown. You are a bright and competent woman - these tasks aren't insurmountable.

And I think you're right - your son is busy with his job and family and probably couldn't take on running another household.

Anyhow, that's how I'd do it. Since I was the accountant, my DH worried that something would happen to me but I prepared the "death book" - listing bank accounts and numbers, what bills came in and how, everything I could think of that would make it easy for someone to follow my trail. As he became more frail, I knew he could never pick up the job but my friend who also is our executor and has power of attorney knew where this "death book" was kept.

Karen has given us a lot of information about disposing of antiques and household goods. (Thanks Karen!)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Allie)))- Good news that you are on the waiting list for a kidney. I hope it will be a good match. ⭐️ ❤️ ⭐️ ❤️
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked, then went to the Salvation Army to make a donation. Of course, I had to go in. Got a yoga/pilates DVD since I don’t have much at the condo. Then we went to Lowe’s Hardware. Made a banana pumpkin bread for this lady we know from Newcomers who is in hospice. Now making a pumpkin gingerbread bread for the guy who broke his hip at bowling last Wednesday. We understand that he’s now in rehab. Got my walk in around the block. Think I’ll watch some TV after this and after the pumpkin gingerbread bread is out of the oven.

Karen – how wonderful that you made up those bags for Josephine. She’s in my thoughts constantly. Lovely glider

Allie – how wonderful!!! How I hope the wait for the kidney isn’t too long.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I can see a gardener in our future, in maybe a few years time. We get cards through the door all the time. At the moment, DH can still mow the grass and trim bushes with relative ease. I do nothing in the garden, apart from fill one pot with bulbs once a year. Bea helped us. :D We have a wildlife garden (!) which looks after itself, apart from those small jobs.
    I would like our driveway repaved. But DH has the pursestrings and we prefer to spend any saved money on cruises! :o The front wall is falling over, but we are pretending we don't notice. :D If I won the lottery I would fix them.

Machka - Retirement villages of the kind you are talking about cost an absolute fortune around here. I know you have talked about staying at work until you are well past retirement age. Is that the plan?

ar9w2oxuedxg.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

The 55+ communities I am talking about don't cost anywhere near that much. :) Especially not in Canada. My parents live in one such community. I'd love to get a place where they are.

I'd like to retire next year ... but I will probably have to work longer than that. Who knows how long.

M in Oz

Maybe I should clarify ...

I envision our next step as going into a 55+ housing community.

These housing communities are usually gated communities with individual houses and often a clubhouse for events and things.

The houses are all one level with accessible toilets etc. ... easy access if a person happens to be in a wheelchair.

They often have small gardens and gardeners for at least the front areas.

The houses aren't overly expensive and there's a "condo fee" for the gardener and other features.

My parents live in such a community and it's lovely. They are in their 80s and are completely independent. I would love to move into their community and I do keep an eye on the places that come up for sale. Yes, sale. Unfortunately we couldn't rent there. A few years ago, I was prepared to buy a place and wanted to rent it till we could move there, but that's not allowed.

The next step, and my parents are toying with this idea, is to move into the apartment where my grandmother lived or one like it.

Those are apartment buildings with accessible independent units between studio and 3-bedroom. The main floor has the dining area, some shopping facilities, hair dresser, medical station, meeting rooms and so on. They had laundry facilities and a small library on each floor as well.

There would be no yardwork, and many of the things you need would be available in the apartment building or nearby.

And they've got events and things you can participate in if you want. Or you can live there like you would in an ordinary apartment building.

The apartments are a little bit expensive but not over the top.

So the process I envision is a gradual, comfortable process to increase care.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Well, I am feeling terrified after reading about all these aging plans. If my husband goes before me, I have never handled things like taxes, property insurance, renters, caring for brother-in-law, selling property, etc. I have always paid a large majority of the every day living expenses, but, I have no head (brain???) for anything else. Never ever lived on my own so feel totally incompetent. Like Karen, I love my son but he is always too busy with his own life and family to take on that responsibility. I just have to trust that the Lord will put someone there to help me!

Carol in GA

No time like the present to learn!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ⭐️ 🎃. ⭐️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    UPDATED stats-

Walk/slow jog w/yogi- 1hr 38min, 55elev, 3.51ap, 115ahr, 164mhr, 6.11mi= 633c *stopped by estate sale which slowed down my pace*
    Strava app = 749c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 29.24min, 266elev, 128aw, 20.9amph, 40gear, 110amph, 144mhr, 10.21mi= 227c
    Strava app = 216c
    Zwift stats- 29.28min, 269elev, 128aw, 49arpm, 20.77amph, 10.2mi= 216c
    Other- PT therapy exercises, 3sets of 10 each, 3 different exercises 16.57min= 60c
    Walk to Woodward park- 33.22min, 1.78mi= 195c
    Strava app = 219c

Total cal 1125
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    <3