WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2022

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    Katla hugs, just lots of hugs!

Machka I am definitely a dolphin!

I really enjoy teaching the basic computer class. Today is 3rd of 6 week of classes. Next week they are increasing my classes to 3 hours instead of 1. I’m happy about that!

Allie I saw a video of Sanbiel island this morning. Glad to see the lighthouse survived and they opened the bridge today so people can drive to the island instead of boat. The destruction is terrible.

RvRita in sunny NM
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    kictg5gm2hue.jpg
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    [quote="Snowflake1968;c-47098781"

I can’t imagine cutting my family out of my life and not contacting them for any reason.
    However, I do have to say that the urge has been there several times over the last 25 years since we moved to Alberta.
    My Husband’s parents have called us a total of 4 times since we moved out here. It has been tempting at times to not call them because “the phone works both ways”.
    My brother and his wife are the same as well as my husbands sister. If o don’t make the call there is never a connection.

Sometimes I feel like if they cared at all they would reach out.

I have caught up.
    Tracey in Edmonton

[/quote]

I feel the same way- I am almost always the one that reaches out- either phone or text or message.
    My mom has only called me once in the past two years since dad died to just check in. She has called a few times because she needed help with something.
    Dad would call me at least once a week- just to say he was thinking about me.
    I do call mom about once a week to check on her and do think, like you' Hey, the phone works both ways"- a statement she has made before but in regards to someone, usually my sister, not calling her.
    Most of the time I am fine being the one that makes the effort. These people are important and I want to check in with them but yes, it would be nice to have them reach out first.
    DH won't be the first to reach out to his friends- If he tries once and they don't respond then he is done until the friend reaches out to him. I value my friendships so much- not going to be petty like that.
    Because of this, I reached out to a elementary school friend that I haven't seen in years- we are getting together for coffee with another classmate on Sunday.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Worked, the guy came to pump out the septic tank. Now to go to the vet to get a prescription for Loki and then Aldi

Rosemarie – most people have their tire pressure gauges read low pressure in the winter. The cold makes the air contract. You might also find that after you drive your car a while the indicator goes out. This is because the air warmed up and expanded.

Margaret – love the colors in that flower

People in the neighborhood have talked about skunks here. Truthfully, I haven’t seen nor smelled them. Well, on my way to work this morning I saw this critter running across the street. It was sort-of hopping. I wonder if it was a skunk? I wasn’t about to find out! Just let it run across the street.

Well, gotta run to the vet and then Aldi.

Made yogurt and have it in the IP now. It was cold last night so now I have a clean oven! Boy, that certainly warms up the kitchen!

Michele NC
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Hello to all. I’ve been reading along, but not taking many notes. Mainly, I just remember a few things. My brain is tired. I just got back from visiting my family and I’m exhausted.

Bees-I appreciate bees. Our bees are pollinating one of our trees and the buzzing when I take the trash out makes me happy. Sadly, someone who has 3 hives in our neighborhood had one stolen last week and the thieves left a nasty note saying the beekeepers were terrible and needed a new hobby. Who does that???

Jeannie-Be sure to apply for the student loan debt relief, if there is any left. Applications are available now. I have been paying my student loans since I was in my 20s and am currently scheduled to pay them off when I’m 70. I doubt I’ll qualify for relief, but I submitted my app anyway.

Tracey-I cannot imagine cutting off contact with my family either. However, I also just had a conversation with my friend about visiting them. I am always the one (with the exception of one sister) who goes back there to visit. They rarely make it out here. So, I sort of decided not to visit as often. I’m exhausted when I return from running from here to there. I never have enough time to spend with anyone. Basically, it’s “Hi” and a hug. Not visiting doesn’t mean I won’t communicate with them. I just am exhausted being the one to make all the effort to see everyone. It is so much more relaxing for all of us when they visit me.

And yes, the phone goes both directions, as does email and text.

Rebecca-Glad you have some answers and are on your way to healing!

Katla-Wishing you the best.

Carla-That view looks blissfully peaceful. Enjoy!

I hope all of you with bad air quality get some relief soon! I know that feeling, as we typically have a few of those times in any given year.

I’ve been watching the baseball playoffs and the games have been so much fun. If you all heard screaming and cheering last night, it was us.

Tina in CA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    edited October 2022
    Michelle - I had the septic pumped yesterday too, sort of. The guy came and had to dig out about 6" of soil to find the tanks. He knocked on the door and said "they don't need to be pumped. You have great bacteria in there, not much sludge." I was floored. And grateful. So he just charged me a service call and inspected everything. He said maybe it will need pumping in 5 or 6 years unless I have more people live in the house, then perhaps sooner.

Whew, that is off the list.

Took DH's old Camry in this morning. New tires, oil change, fluids checked and topped up, brakes checked, the whole she-bang. The guy who ran the service place offered to buy it. Told him no way, I was going to put at least 100,000 more miles on it. For the miles I drive each year, that's 25 years, lol.

They did discover a mouse nest in the cabin filter, it could have been in there for a couple years. So I had them replace that. They said I could use Bounce dryer sheets in the glove box, or Irish Spring, or cotton balls soaked with Peppermint oil - in a baggie with a couple holes punched. Even could tuck a few Bounce sheets under the hood. :)

Glad to have that done too.

I decided to knit Rosie some winter sweaters. I have a lot of yarn, and am looking for a pattern - I have a stack of knitting books and I think I saw a few patterns once upon a time. :)

We just had a few sprinkles. It helped the air quality a teensy bit but still best to stay indoors.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Lanette – this septic has never been pumped out. I’m sure the people before us didn’t seeings how the house was only 6 months old when we bought it. Vince feels that a septic never should need to be pumped out. In theory, I agree. But not in actuality. So I’m paying for it out of my account. Honestly, I was expecting it to cost more than it did. My car is getting new tires tomorrow! We’re on the same wavelength

Michele NC
    who is back from Aldi and the vet. Also got a sympathy card for the family of the lady who passed
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,297 Member
    Michele ~ You recently said that you closed your pool for the season. Did you have the pool party you talked about? Would be interesting to hear about it.

Carol in GA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    Photo challenge:

xasoay47gfc3.jpeg

aaahhh Cousin It. I was actually that for Halloween one year. My hair is down to my waist and I wear glasses anyways- super easy ;)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    My brother has been asking every day about his birth certificate for the last 4 weeks. We finally called Nebraska today - a person who told us last week that the certificate was mailed a week ago was mistaken. Today, two people, including a supervisor, verified that it was actually mailed on September 14th, 5 weeks ago, and has not subsequently been returned to the State of Nebraska. The owner of the residential home is, once again, withholding mail from my brother. She withheld his Social Security card for 2 weeks in August before she finally got tired of him asking her about it and turned it over to him.

I filed complaints today with the OIG and USPS Inspector General.

The supervisor at NE Vital Records, after hearing our tale of woe, took pity on us and will do her best to expedite replacements to be sent to my brother here at my house, where he is living now. We had to pay another fee and provide a bunch of proof of identity which I had already sent 6 weeks ago, plus a copy of a piece of mail addressed to him with my home address on it. Very lucky I had one piece of mail that was addressed to him here at the house - just some random AARP envelope, but it should suffice. It seems like a really unreasonable request given that he has lived here all of 3 days. Why wouldn't they just take his word for his current address?

Anyway, I feel that this is karma I am paying for something and I am trying to be open to the lesson I am supposed to learn. I have always been persistent, so I don't think that is the lesson. It's something else.

Karen in Virginia

Karen - oh my word. I don't think it's your karma - the owner of the residential home is going to experience some bad karma real soon. Are they administering state or federal funds? Maybe that's why you alerted OIG?

The fact they shipped out male residents in the dark of night to who knows where and this ongoing mail problem....I would think they are going to be in big doo-doo. And I wonder how they are getting away with it - the residents are glad for a place to live perhaps and don't question what an outsider would see as things not adding up?

I've been watching Vera reruns so of course I think your detective friend should get a warrant and go in there and tear the place apart, lol. But, I don't think it works that way.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. When you get moved you can write a detective novel and throw this episode in there. :p

Lanette
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Oh Karen- what a fiasco..I hope that person who runs that home gets what is coming to her in Spades. et6qv4g6snc8.jpg
    Tracy,Miles and my ex Rich went for a walk today so grandpa and Miles got to sit with some spooky neighbors...

Allie I LOVE this adorable photo! :D
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2022
    My brother has been asking every day about his birth certificate for the last 4 weeks. We finally called Nebraska today - a person who told us last week that the certificate was mailed a week ago was mistaken. Today, two people, including a supervisor, verified that it was actually mailed on September 14th, 5 weeks ago, and has not subsequently been returned to the State of Nebraska. The owner of the residential home is, once again, withholding mail from my brother. She withheld his Social Security card for 2 weeks in August before she finally got tired of him asking her about it and turned it over to him.

I filed complaints today with the OIG and USPS Inspector General.

The supervisor at NE Vital Records, after hearing our tale of woe, took pity on us and will do her best to expedite replacements to be sent to my brother here at my house, where he is living now. We had to pay another fee and provide a bunch of proof of identity which I had already sent 6 weeks ago, plus a copy of a piece of mail addressed to him with my home address on it. Very lucky I had one piece of mail that was addressed to him here at the house - just some random AARP envelope, but it should suffice. It seems like a really unreasonable request given that he has lived here all of 3 days. Why wouldn't they just take his word for his current address?

Anyway, I feel that this is karma I am paying for something and I am trying to be open to the lesson I am supposed to learn. I have always been persistent, so I don't think that is the lesson. It's something else.

Karen in Virginia

Karen - oh my word. I don't think it's your karma - the owner of the residential home is going to experience some bad karma real soon. Are they administering state or federal funds? Maybe that's why you alerted OIG?

The fact they shipped out male residents in the dark of night to who knows where and this ongoing mail problem....I would think they are going to be in big doo-doo. And I wonder how they are getting away with it - the residents are glad for a place to live perhaps and don't question what an outsider would see as things not adding up?

I've been watching Vera reruns so of course I think your detective friend should get a warrant and go in there and tear the place apart, lol. But, I don't think it works that way.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. When you get moved you can write a detective novel and throw this episode in there. :p

Lanette

Until August, she was his representative payee for Social Security. Now I am his payee. And according to my brother, he is the only one who has an advocate. None of the other men have anyone who checks up on them or comes to take them out or sends them a birthday gift.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :)<3Karen, I usually can't figure out what I'm supposed to learn from the bumps in the road. I just call them "an opportunity for spiritual growth" and go on about my business. You have had a bigger share of bumps in the road than most.

<3 Barbie