• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 614 Member
    Grateful for...
    27-*small thing I use daily-my coffee cup
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    edited November 2022
    Hi all. Taking another easy day today. Had a long lie-in. I did work on a spreadsheet while I was there though 😝 I’m now relaxing after a nice lunch, and at 4pm will be Skyping with my family.

Flea I’m so sorry to that. He sounds like he was well loved and will be missed. So heartening to hear that he crammed in a lot of memories lately.

Food/Diet: My strategies
    I had a system for meals etc when I was working and operated a 4 week meal cycle. It made prep and shopping super simple, especially when DH was made redundant and took over the domestic side of things. I always had a tick list for shopping which was set out according to the layout of our grocery store. We kept it on the kitchen counter and automatically ticked anything which we need to replace as we went along.

We just continued with that when I retired, and I have adjusted the system to reflected the changing lifestyle choices of both of us.
    Breakfast/lunch
    • We both eat the same similar breakfasts most mornings. Fresh fruit, grains, yogurt
    • We have a lunch tray in the fridge which has cheeses, cold cuts, butter etc.
    • We buy artisan bread twice a week, and we keep sandwich loaves in our freezer for other days. We often have soup and/or salad with lunch
    Dinners
    • We have a roast each Sunday which gives enough meat for Mon, Tues, and Wed. We have favourite recipes that we use for the various meats. Currently we have a 3 week rotation for beef, pork, and chicken.
    • Thursday is salad night.
    • Friday is fish night
    • Saturday we have venison or beef burgers or sausages. DH’s choice.
    • We have a selection of appropriate veg with each meal, and occasionally eat vegetarian.

None of it is set in stone, but it is convenient most of the time to know what is available.

I am a great believer in the saying that knowledge is power, so I track all my CI/CO and weigh myself every morning. I have no forbidden foods, but choosing to eat within my calorie budget means I limit myself to small portions. A little of what you fancy does you good. It’s a no brainier for me if I want to stay fit and healthy.

I’m currently working on dropping a couple of lbs as a hedge against the festive frenzy which is December.

November Gratitude:
    1. smell. Vanilla ice cream
    2. technology. Internet - access to y’all
    3. colour. Golden tones of autumn
    4. food. Mussels in white wine
    5. sound. The sound of DH in the kitchen making morning tea
    6. nature. Woodland and mountains
    7. memory. Holding my 11 day old DGD on Christmas morning 1994
    8. book. All books 😝
    9. place. My garden
    10. taste. Chocolate
    11. holiday. Cruise to Norway to see the Northern lights. We did so many things on that cruise.
    12. texture. There are so many textures, but I love the sleek silkiness of my hair when it is newly washed.
    13. abilities. I find it invaluable to be able to concentrate and focus on the positive, and use my analytical acumen. I can bring it to bear in finding the positive in unhelpful events. Learn from experience, so to speak.
    14. sight. Literally grateful for my sight. I only have good sight in one eye due to a birth defect in the optical nerve in my left eye. I don’t miss what I never had, but am super aware of the importance of my one good eye.
    15. season. Spring is my fav season. It’s a symbol of renewal.
    16. about your body. My sturdy strength, and the ability to heal quickly.
    17. knowledge. My happiness is entirely up to me. Happiness isn’t something that you have to put off until x, y, or z, or some event which may or may not happen. I look for happiness in simple things, a beautiful sky, birds singing, raindrops running down the window pane, autumn leaves. Also, it’s not my responsibility to make other people happy.
    18. piece of art. Too many to list 😂
    19. touch. The feeling of clean linen on the bed
    20. who. My DH. He looks after me so well.
    21. song. Cyndi Lauper: Girls just wanna have fun: anything by Cliff Richard, Tina Turner, Queen, ShaniaTwain …. etc etc etc
    22. story. Jesus of Nazareth
    23. tradition. Christmas
    24. challenge. I relish the opportunity to play it forward by volunteering to lead groups for our local U3A, a lifelong learning charity. However , it can be a challenge to get other people to do their bit in the groups I lead. So many are happy to take, but find excuses when asked to reciprocate.
    25. moment this week. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to our singing group, who were giving a short concert at the Christmas party on Thursday afternoon.
    26. form of expression. Writing poetry, and watercolour painting.
    27. daily use item. My iPhone. I use it as a calender and have many reminders set on it.
    28. what happen today.
    29. friend/family member.
    30. talent or skill.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

💕💖💕 to all

☘️ Terri
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    I walked thirty minutes Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    OregonMother so sorry to hear. Thoughts are with you
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    Well up a lb since Thanksgiving. It was to be expected. Today I am going to make some sort of chicken stock soup, with onions, mushrooms, chi ken and rice or pasta. Maybe some shredded cabbage or potatoes. I don't know.
    I am getting anxious about my surgery on Tuesday. But I am trying to distract myself. Made peanut brittle for my middle son for his Christmas package. We are going to buy them a WA parks yearly pass, so hopefully they can use it, maybe an Oregon one too. Then we still need to buy some sort of Gardening assistant stuff for Athena. A shift apron, shovels, label sticks, or cute things to stick into plants. Home Depot, or the nursery, or our farm store here might have it.
    We had quite a storm last night. Really windy! Some rain. Lee is out picking up sticks and branches. I am sipping my coffee. 😜💖
    Have a goid day all!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member

Betsy, your question to your friend is valid. My father had health issues, and the last couple years of his life, he took a lot of attention from my mom, which she gave freely. After he died, she went on one date (she was about 68). She figured out right away that the guy was looking for someone to take care of him. She said no thank you, to herself. She told me that she'd had enough of that and wasn't interested in doing that again.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR

My mom has said the same thing. She was married to dad for just months shy of 65 yrs. She is 79 and on her own for the very first time. She gets to make all the decisions for herself now. Not interested in dating someone new.
    Debbie

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    I usually start eating about eight in the morning and stop about four in the afternoon so that's an eight hour window. When I'm being good. I end up sitting and watching my parents eat, which is good socializing, but hard on my diet.

I have gained ten pounds since August, so something has to change. Most likely the cookies and chocolate. And too many "special" meals. I really think a mango smoothie will help my routine, and then I can vary from that framework. I prefer to eat by routine. I can't imagine managing inventory of thirty kinds of plants. I'm still working on five servings of fruit and veggies a day!

Annie in Delaware

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    Kim - It was easier on the cruise than it is in 'real' life. Someone else was chopping, grating, washing, slicing, delicious salads and with it I could have fish, no potatoes, extra vegetables, for lunch.
    I could eat the tops off the canapés and leave the base with a clear conscience.
    Having said that, many people had dessert every day, plus scones and cakes for afternoon tea. Ice cream.
    I had none. I did not miss it because there was so much other delicious food to eat! :p
    I am very lucky that I don't have a sweet tooth. One candy a day is enough for me.

Annie - it's very easy to eat 30 different plants a week. Spices, herbs, all count. Every tiny bit can get counted. Coffee. Plain chocolate. Which have the added advantage of being fermented, which he highly recommends. The important thing is variety, to encourage the microbiome.
    Variety is the spice of life!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,267 Member
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) I agree. It is very different to contemplate being a caregiver for someone you have lived with and loved for decades compared to someone who comes into your life when you are 70+ years old.

:) Also, the best eating plan is the one you'll stick to. I prefer scheduling, predictability, and repetition. Others prefer novelty and creativity

:) I walk for more than two hours a day and ride my exercise bike for 2-3 hours. On Fridays I dance for more than an hour in the morning. If I don't eat some of those exercise calories, I wouldn't have the needed energy.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    Heather - Sugar is the toughest thing for me, but I have learned that the first bite and maybe the second are the best, any thing after that are not as amazing. So it is helpful to share; as throwing out food is very hard for me. Although I can cut a cake or pie into the skinnyist of pieces.... anyone who says it can't be done, isn't trying hard enough.

Kim
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,267 Member
    Kim ~ I have found when I take a bite of something sweet I can cut down on further temptation by eating a dill pickle or a couple of olives.

Carol in GA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    LOL Carol! A dill pickle or olive is enough to get me off food for ever!!!! I do not care for much pickled my silly taste buds, just hate it. Now a sweet gherkin maybe - but back to my love of sugar.

smiles Kim