January 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @shanaber would an airhorn scare them off if they decided they wanted to attack me? Because the issue is that these dogs are either wild or just roaming loose a LONG way from wherever they live, and making noise to get help would be no use in that particular area because there's literally nobody out there for miles. I wondered about one of those whistles, but they seem to just be to stop dogs barking... looked at battery operated gadgets that are meant to scare them away but reviews aren't good. Hence the thought I should just take my poles, if not to whack the bloody things at least to wave about around myself to try and stop them getting near enough to bite. Ugh. Dogs (ok, and steep descents) are probably the only thing that really worries me about running alone in the middle of nowhere.
    @eleanorhawkins - We had some dogs that were jumping their fence/wall and going after people on our trail and I was really frightened of them. In conversation with the animal control folks they recommended the air horn for exactly that reason. It will frighten away the dogs and even coyotes that are as much a problem here and there is nothing to blow back into your face like with pepper spray. I can't really use it around Hobbes though because it terrifies him. It is really loud.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    There's not usually that much snow here, but sometimes I do wish I had little spikes on my shoes....
    For that situation, I recommend something like this that you can take off and carry in a pocket.
    aqzgn5cgb36f.jpg
    There are more "spikey" versions you can upgrade to if you're going to be doing snowy/icy trails.
    321lfhvpf6d2.jpg
    Decathlon might be stretching a bit calling any of these "crampons", as they are quite different from the big spikes people wear while climbing icy mountains. I think we had this discussion a year ago here, and I ended up calling what I use "hiking crampons".
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    @martaindale You are doing great with your recovery. Glad you are having your perfect weather.

Nice running @kgirlhart . Congrats on meeting your 100 mile goal already!

@Laurz9191 Great running. Glad your long run was a good one and congrats for exceeding your monthly goal already too. That's a pretty, snowy route. Be careful out there.

Nice, speedy recovery run @tarun_yadavA .

• tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Nice, speedy recovery run @tarun_yadavA .

Thank you 😊
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls NOTHING keeps you down!!!!!! πŸ’ͺ
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,815 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls that is scary when you have traffic like that. Were you wearing any lights? at least with it being so cold you probably had some layers on so you did not skin your hands/ knees up. Hope you are not hurting too badly tomorrow.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls I don't know how you do it? I am glad that you weren't hit be a car. So sorry about the fall and hope you aren't too sore/painful later.

I did a treadmill session. The plan called for an easy run. It wasn't as easy as I had hoped and I had to slow down after the first mile, but not horrible for an easy run, I guess. I did a run/walk for 4/1 min at 3x4.5, 4.2-4.4/3.8 mph then 2/4:13 min at 5.0/4.2 mph. Average pace was 13:56 min/mile. Avg HR was 133 with a max of 150 bpm.

exercise.png

I think this is the first time I've exceeded my goal this early in the month. I don't have a snowballs change in.......of making 100 miles, but may make 90.
  • Scott6255
    Options
    Got in 7 miles on the treadmill this evening (cold and rainy here all day.

exercise.png
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    Morning all.
    Midweek Speedwork. Got 8 in, at pace.
    h2ot4j4gjowi.png
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,815 Member
    Options
    WOW! Maybe you need to run a marathon everyday if you are going to have such a speedy day later on @tarun_yadavA ??βœ…βœ…βœ… Nice work @Scott6255 have you changed your mind about your mileage goals again. You are putting in some long runs! Hope that tornado did not effect you...
  • Scott6255
    Options
    Nice job @tarun_yadavA 8.08 miles @ 8.08 pace @ 9:08am Sooo close πŸ™‚
  • tarun_yadavA
    Options
    @SummerSkier haha, thanks!! 😊
    @Scott6255 - LOL! Love it! Channeling your Inner 'Rain Man' on that one