WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Ginny sorry to hear about your Covid. Hope it passes quickly.

Kylia yes the prep is a total nuisance. But it will be over soon.

It was supposed to rain today but it hasn't started yet. I might clean up my room a little. See what nasty surprises lurk in the papers.

Thank you Rory for making me laugh and realize Mom is not so bad. Oranges! That must have been a mess. Mom is very good about keeping food downstairs, and Teddy gets the crumbs.

Today is yoga and aerobic walking after lunch. I was looking at weighted bars, for when I need to change things up a bit. I'm afraid of dropping the dumbbells, so I stick to a low weight. But a bar might be safer. What do you ladies think?

Annie in Delaware
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Kylia ~ Good luck on your test tomorrow.

Allie ~ Love your red hair.

Ginny ~ Sorry you have tested positive but hope it will be over quickly.

Terry ~ Glad to see you!

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Hey Pals! I am so happy to see you are still here. I've been away from the thread for a little over a year but looking forward to catching up.

Tere (Chester, VA)🤩

Welcome back
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Hey Pals! I am so happy to see you are still here. I've been away from the thread for a little over a year but looking forward to catching up.

Tere (Chester, VA)🤩

Tere! I was just thinking of you. Your mom had a schnauzer? You were opening your own business? Yes, please catch us up! :D

Lanette B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,478 Member
    Options
    ber53fbkv8x7.jpg
    Morning ladies
    Here with sleeping Miles..
    Thinking of all of you in the winter weather bomb area...
    We will be getting a tiny bit of snow and ice but nothing to really sneeze at..
    Got my hair done yesterday.. Karen always does an awesome job...

You are so cute!😁
    You smile with your eyeballs.🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    Vickie it wasn’t me visiting my son. Sorry about that! I wish it was….

Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate my body.
    #2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.

#3 Watch a movie that reminds you of kindness. I watched the Adam Project.
    #4 Take a picture of 3 things that make you happy. Send them to a friend. Done!
    #5 Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is equally important. Will do today.
    #6 Start a conversation with someone new. I do this every day with the campers!
    #7 Consider a current struggle. Write down 2 thoughts that give you comfort. My dog Brownie’s heart trouble. Her spells are getting worse and there is nothing the vet can do. Comforting thoughts—She lived a good life with us. She brought us many days of comfort and enjoyment with her loving attitude.
    #8. Consider and celebrate diversity today. I am a white girl living among darker Mexicans and native Americans. Campers come from around the world and love to hear the accents and learn about the different cultures i come into contact with. Do this every day!
    #9. Identify a role model who embodies perseverance. Can you find two ways to emulate them? My 30 year old autistic nephew. He never gives up no matter what health challenge he faces. I can emulate him by not complaining about every little ache and pain, and by doing what needs to be done to get through any health issues that may come up.
    #10. Check an item off your to-do list this weekend. Working on my taxes.
    #11. Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver the meal to a friend. We give food to people all the time. My DH cooks and we give food to different campers and workers here at the park almost every day!
    #12. Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused. Done
    #13. Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness? After I bough myself a Sonic blast to ‘cool down’.
    #14. Express creativity by making art or cooking a new meal. I write in a journal that has writing prompts I have to make up stories for. Yesterday I wrote a short story about a dog leash!
    #15. If you are waiting in line today, let someone get in front of you. May not be today, but i did do it on Sunday!
    #16. The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure to let them know. Will do! Didn’t have the opportunity but will watch for a chance today!
    17. Offer a helping hand to someone, such as holding a door for a stranger. I may have a chance today.
    #18. Share about a recent book you read and what you learned. I just finished reading ‘Everything You Are’ by Kerry Anne King. It dealt with alcoholism, recovery, death, and grieving. I learned that no matter where you are in life, never give up and find a way to celebrate life.
    #19. Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink. Did this today. DH made me pancakes and served me coffee this morning.
    #20. Complement someone today. Ideas include recognizing a great smile or earrings. Did this to a lady who looked angry and tired at Walmart today. Made her happy and smile.
    #21. When you recognize someone is struggling, offer words of support. I did that yesterday!
    #22. Ask for help. That’s a simple way to express bravery. Sometime today.
    #23. Encourage your teammates to utilize their unique strengths.
    #24. Reflect on the steps you have taken to achieve your past goals.
    #25. Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    #26. Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    #27. Send or leave a handwritten thank you note to someone.
    #28. Giving constructive feedback is one way to ignite honesty.

RVRita
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options
    :)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,880 Member
    Options
    I’ve never kept up on my fiber intake but really should. My DH also has/had pre-cancerous polyps and should be eating a lot more fiber, but I can’t make choices for him. For me, I have Colitis and a bit of diverticulitis so need more fiber to keep things normal. I take fiber supplement pills and Metamucil almost daily, plus Keto bread and tortillas, lots of veggies, avocados, and berries. The only way to keep normal for me. But even then, I have issues with one extreme to the other. My gastroenterologist knows and doesn’t say much about it. So I’m assuming its ok. I think I will change MFP to show me how much fiber I’m getting overall with this regime. Out of curiosity.

Welcome back Tere!

RVRita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Katla- I am sorry you are having to sell the house. You know what you have to do but that doesn't make it any easier.

Lisa- that is perfect. Shared it on FB

Kim- what town did you go to? I was born and raised in Sonoma County(mom still lives there). Love it there. I am guessing you were over by Cazadero or did you go further north?

I almost talked myself out of walking today because of the wind. It was a good workout- 15-20mph around the wetlands. Only a short area was the wind behind me. The rest was in my face or from the side. Fitbit app says I did
    12,750 steps/31floors/5.8miles /1457 cals.

One thing I don't understand is the cals.
    Yesterday my numbers were:
    11,274/5floors/5.06 miles /1899cals.

Both days all of my exercise was walking. Today, I am guessing because of the wind, it says I walked 31 floors (even though it was all flat ground)

Debbie

That's a lot of calories for a flat walk!

I figure I burn about 200 calories per hour when I walk. Maybe 300 if I choose a really hilly route.

I walk between 5 and 6 km/h or 3-4 mph.

Or is that your whole day's calories?

M in Oz

both days I put in my totals for the day as that is really all I did for the day. Must have done other stuff that counted on Monday that I didn't think about but not that much.
    All I know is yesterdays walk was a LOT harder in the wind and longer

At the end of yesterday the numbers were:
    13,500/31 floors/ 6.15 miles/ 2100 cal./91 min walking
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    [
    Hugs to those in need!

Tina in CA where we are about to blow away in the wind.

Headache, feeling hot, dizzy, nauseated etc.?

That's describes a hot flash for me. I have 5 to 10 of those a day ... down now from 20+ each day thank goodness.

What kind of Headache?

M in Oz [/quote]

I can't imagine that many hot flashes. I only had them for a few months and it was during the winter so wasn't too bad. Did dress in layers and was funny walking around in a tank top for the few minutes but then had to put sweatshirt back on after that.
  • dlfk202000
    Options

I've never been able to touch my toes. Don't expect it to ever happen now![/quote]

I have almost always been able to touch my toes. Feels great to stretch my back that much. Had a time I couldn't because too much belly but that isn't stopping me now. During stretching at Zumba, most nights I can get palms to the floor.
    As a kid I was very limber, I would actually SLEEP with my legs crossed, Indian style, put a pillow in my lap and just put my head down and sleep. No way I can do that anymore but it was very comfortable for me back then
  • dlfk202000
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Ginny- rest is the best thing- Hope you do have a very mild case and you feel better soon with no lasting side effects. Son told dh yesterday when he picked up his car that he couldn't smell the "new car smell"-It has been over 2yrs since he had Covid and still can't smell most things.

Kylia -prayers for your sweet grand daughter and thank you for remembering Destiny

Carol and Rita- my dh is the same. Needs to eat better and more fiber for sure but he is happy with take out, mostly carbs(fried rice, chow mein, etc )and meat, very little veggies. I am the opposite. Prefer lots of veggies and less meat and low on carbs for the most part. He has diverticulitus(sp?) and is diabetic but doesn't follow the diet he should. He is almost 60 yrs old, can't make him do what he doesn't want to. I cook healthy but it is his choice to eat it or not.
    The other night, I cooked a pork tenderloin, butternut squash and apple sauce. He did eat the pork but in a sandwich on Sourdough bread. No veggies/fruit at all- had that with a bag of chips.

Allie- love the color!!!

Rebecca- I really hope your son comes to visit when he gets back to the states- you have been needing that contact for way too long. Maybe he will explain why he hasn't been in touch.
    One of dh's first symptoms when his sugar is off is his vision gets blurry. He takes his meds and cuts back on the sweets and it gets better. Doesn't stop him from eating the stuff but is more mindful.

Dh had a major, really major fit last night. One of the cats got in his room and broke his model. He said he didn't go in his room so he didn't let the cat in there. I didn't go in there so I know I didn't do it but he doesn't believe me. He was cussing and throwing stuff. Mad because I didn't care about HIS stuff. Went on for over an hour then went to bed. I stayed up until he was asleep. He just got home after working all night and then going to his mom's. No mention about his stuff that got broken. I just want him to care about important things, not just his material things.

It is super windy again today but I will still go walk. Yesterday I counted 22 swans in one pond-the one that dries up for most of the summer and fall(was dry until we had that big storm and now it is pretty full still). Saw my first jackrabbit and a few beautiful bright blue bluebirds

Dh is meeting a friend for lunch so I may go a little early to walk(need to be there early because Ezie is out of school half hour early today).
    No walk tomorrow unless a friend wants to walk in the evening. I did tell dh I would help do yardwork at his mom's tomorrow.They finally fired the gardener- paying him so much when there was nothing really to do. Won't take long for us to do both the front and back. I told him he can do one I will do the other. They are too small to have both working with weed eaters at the same time- I don't like getting hit with the flying rocks from him. I will prune her few little roses- will take less than 10 min, closer to 5 most likely. Hopefully it won't be as windy but if it is, we will deal with it. May take the dog for a walk, maybe even get dh to go with me. Will be a very short walk if he goes with me but better than nothing.

Having my second cup of tea this morning. Feels so good to have it nice and hot but need to stop drinking it. There are no bathrooms except at the entrance to the wetlands (and hopefully it is clean and well stocked-I keep some tp in my fanny pack, just in case)and it is not a calming walk when you are at least 20-30 min from a bathroom when you have to go- all you think about is having to go. The cold wind doesn't help either. Hoping to do 90 min again. but will be happy with 60.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    Tina--Hope you are feeling better, if not don't mess around and call the doctor. I can relate to being in a funk lately. Not sure why just am. Today is a new day and I am trying to look to the positive and prayer. Pray you feel better soon.
    Kylia--Saying prayers for Aubrey. I agree the perp is the worst part.
    Allie-- Also prayers for Destiny. So much to endure so young.
    Ginny--Hope you are over Covid quick.
    Weather is calling for big storm today and tomorrow. Sleet, rain, snow. Then in the 50's over the weekend. So far it has not been bad here.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options

I woke up with a really strange headache today. I was super hot too. It felt like my BP was really high. I checked it and it was fine, but I really felt like I was going to pass out a couple of times. I had to cut my workout a bit short. I'm not sure what that was about. I still don't feel great, but I'm better.

Tina in CA where we are about to blow away in the wind.

Headache, feeling hot, dizzy, nauseated etc.?

That's describes a hot flash for me. I have 5 to 10 of those a day ... down now from 20+ each day thank goodness.

What kind of Headache?

M in Oz [/quote]

It was kind of dull all across my forehead. I suspect it had something to do with the weather. A storm came in yesterday and winds are screaming through. Probably was messing with my allergies and asthma.

I haven't had hot flashes for nearly a year, thankfully. I'd really hate for them to start up again though.

Tina in CA