WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    🙋🏼‍♀️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,828 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I realize that I only drink 16 to 32 ounces of water a day. I used to drink more when I could count pop as liquid. I looked it up and I should be drinking at least 100 ounces of water per day. I know that liquid other than water counts. But I have a hard time, even drinking half of that amount. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to drink more water? And that even counts my 2 cups of broth.

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Every time I have a hot flash, I drink a glass of water or diet pop. Something cold. I have at least 3 hot flashes a day.

Also, if I don't drink quite a bit, my kidneys ache. It's good incentive.

M in Oz
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Made it to the gym today, did 30 min on the elliptical and then 23 min on the treadmill, 13 of which was walking backwards. It's supposed to make our brain work harder or something, so I try to do that a few times a week. Gotta do all I can to keep the brain firing on all cylinders!
    I did find out that the squats and lunges that I did with the TRX worked my glutes, they are a bit tender today! lol It's a good tender tho!
    Both knees were a bit cranky this morning, but it started out damp and a bit chilly today so I'm blaming it on the weather. I had no pain other than a little bit of arthritic aching. Going to a core strength class tomorrow, the instructor that I like should be back, I really do enjoy her class, it's a lot of fun. It's hard work too, but she does make it fun.
    Nothing more to say, going to go to bed a bit earlier tonite, need to be up earlier for the next few days.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    edited March 2023
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I realize that I only drink 16 to 32 ounces of water a day. I used to drink more when I could count pop as liquid. I looked it up and I should be drinking at least 100 ounces of water per day. I know that liquid other than water counts. But I have a hard time, even drinking half of that amount. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to drink more water? And that even counts my 2 cups of broth.

Every time I have a hot flash, I drink a glass of water or diet pop. Something cold. I have at least 3 hot flashes a day.

M in Oz

The problem with me is I have my hot flashes in the middle of the night. I usually drink water at that time but during the day I don’t really have an urge to drink water. I usually drank a pop not diet with my meal. I don’t know how I got into that habit 😳 now I was told by my doctor that drinking just one soda kills your gut biome for a week. I haven’t researched it to see if that’s true but I stopped drinking it. I don’t think that I like water as much. I wonder if diet soda would work. It doesn’t have all the sugar!
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,329 Member
    Machka-I'm confused by the one position "seconding" for another position. It's not a familiar concept here.

Pip-I understand not seeing resemblance when it is you. People always tell me my sons look alike and I don't see it.

• Machka9
    edited March 2023
    Machka9 wrote: »

M in Oz

The problem with me is I have my hot flashes in the middle of the night. I usually drink water at that time but during the day I don’t really have an urge to drink water. I usually drank a pop not diet with my meal. I don’t know how I got into that habit 😳 now I was told by my doctor that drinking just one soda kills your gut biome for a week. I haven’t researched it to see if that’s true but I stopped drinking it. I don’t think that I like water as much. I wonder if diet soda would work. It doesn’t have all the sugar!

I make a cup of black coffee and get a tall glass of cold water (more than a cup) first thing in the morning. That's all I have for "breakfast".

I make another cup of black coffee and get another tall glass of cold water somewhere between about 10:30 and 11 am. That's also when I might climb a few flights of stairs.

I make another cup of black coffee and get another tall glass of cold water at about 2 pm when I have lunch.

And another cup of black coffee and another tall glass of cold water at about 4 pm to finish the work day and get me home from work.

Sometimes I skip a cup of coffee or tall glass of water somewhere in there. Depends how busy I am.

When I get home, I down a glass of diet cola. It helps settle my stomach from the bus ride home.

Then another glass of diet cola with dinner.

At least one more diet cola in the evening, often more.

A cup of uncaffeinated tea.

And a glass of water to take my vitamins, pills, etc.

If I exercise there will be at least one more glass of diet cola or water.

I feel really dried out and achy if I skip too much of that.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    kevrit wrote: »
    I am doing this Happiness calendar for March. Feel free to copy or simply use it if you’d like!

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org
    RVRita
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.

Sky, sand and ocean
    15jmjq5nsagk.png

3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.

Yesterday's 54 km bicycle ride and 5 km walk on the beach ...

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.

19nper8umeoo.png

5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.

:heart:

6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels.

The only plans we had yesterday was a stroll through a neighbouring arty town to look at the shops.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.

I do box breathing at some point just about every day.

8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food.
    :)

9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    Many times.

10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.

Afternoon walk ...

gk9c2ciwlcx2.png

11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.

Not so much today. But usually. :)

12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.

Haven't talked to anyone other than husband today.

13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.

Love watching the sky. :) Our house is especially well located for that, and at certain times of year, we get fantastic sunsets!

jomkq0tqutyd.png
    05wmx6w4ig4u.png
    7vc4lxr8ihsj.png

14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.

Laundry! I don't mind doing laundry. :)

15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.

That's about all I can do today. I haven't done anything which requires effort.

I looked up the vaccine I had yesterday. Boostrix: diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis (whooping cough). I am set for 10 years!

But headache, tiredness, body aches, sore joints and nausea are common side effects ... which I am experiencing.

My doctor also informed me that the antibiotic "cocktail" I've been prescribed will make me feel ill and give me a horrible taste in my mouth. But it is only for 5 days and should do the trick.

16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.

I've been colouring these days because I'm not allowed to do much more. Fortunately, I enjoy colouring. :)

I've also been putting away laundry and rearranging a closet.

17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.

The place is slightly neater and cleaner than usual. That's both unusual and pleasant. February was major house-cleaning month, then we went on holidays so the place is still clean.

I'm at home, surrounded by things I like.

There are photos I have taken recently showing on my second computer screen.

18. Have a 'no plans' day and notice how that feels or If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.

Today, I casually worked my way through part of the garden, catching up on some of the weeding.
    And we went for a short 10 km bicycle ride.
    And I've been colouring. :)

19. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    :heart:

20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.

Walking - 3.57 km

Cycling - 10.27 km

z6nik83nkcds.png

21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.

I have music on all day. Most times I'm doing things, sometimes I'm not.

More cycling today ...

bqfierqjcrq9.png

24. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    25. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    26. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    27. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    28. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    29. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    30. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    31. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    32. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    33. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

Machka in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,033 Member
    Good morning ladies!

Mary I drink two cups of water as soon as I get up. I do that because once I fainted from dehydration (and stress) while making breakfast. Even the poor dog has to wait to go out until after I have had my water.

Then all day long, I drink a cup after I use the restroom. I do better chugging than sipping. Until about six pm, when I quit drinking for the night. Unless I exercise hard, then I often have another cup. When you are fully hydrated you will use the restroom more often, and that is healthier. Think of all the toxins being flushed away.

Annie in Delaware

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    I realized that I only drink 16 to 32 ounces of water a day. I used to drink more when I could count pop as liquid. I looked it up and I should be drinking at least 100 ounces of water per day. I know that liquid other than water counts. But I have a hard time, even drinking half of that amount, and that even counts my 2 cups of broth. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to drink more water?

:) I created a water drinking schedule so time of day tells me when and how much to drink. I use tally marks to keep track on the same paper I use to keep track of my walking and bike riding time. I have a plastic tumbler out at all times for my water to make it easier. I drink only water.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    Pg 60. Gotta go get lunch, but will be back after to catch up.

A full on 2 days and 124 posts to catch up on. So this may be brief.

I had a lovely day on Sunday. Both my daughters and my grandson chatted for most of the afternoon.

Yesterday I had a busy day with Creative Writing in the morning and my Monday Painters group after lunch. Both groups were lively with lots of discussion. My Monday Painters are getting their work ready for display at our monthly meeting on the 30th.

Today I am working on sorting through my poetry and tidying up my writing area. It had become a little bit of a dumping ground but I sorted that out now. DH has gone to badminton so I have absolutely nothing to interrupt my exertions.

Intentions for March:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end off the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today:
    📍Solid habits
    📍general chores
    📍declutter writing area
    📍work on crochet —>

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

March Action for Happiness:
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with awareness and kindness
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.Trees silhouetted against the sky; the appearance of snowdrops in spring; the sound of waves breaking on the shore.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I meditate on this each morning when I wake up, and am grateful for each new opportunity to have a good day.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. Positive affirmations are very powerful. Be kind to yourself, always.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. We chatted with our girls about other family members, and raised a glass to them.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. I will do this tomorrow (7th)
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.Resisting the temptation to plan my day. Serendipity reigns today.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food. ✔️
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I’m a great advocate of deep breathing, and find this works well.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.I wasn’t looking forward to going outside this morning as we had snow overnight and it seemed very cold. However, the sun shone in a clear blue sky, and the wind had dropped right down again, and I spent time with my eyes closed feeling the heat on my face before I went into the centre for Latin Study.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Always! Gives me calm thinking time.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. When I tried to do this with DH this morning, he got distracted by a discussion on What the Papers Say on TV. 😝 However, we often have in-depth discussions, usually over lunc and dinner.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. The sun was valiantly trying to break through rain clouds just after sunrise, but the forecast is for heavy showers, but I’m watching the blue patches in hope that it clears up.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.Doing the task isn’t the problem 😝 It’s getting started that’s difficult. I sometimes put on my favourite music, or listen to a podcast.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly. Having coffee after putting away the week’s groceries. There is pink blossom on my prunus purpurea, magnolia buds are beginning to colour up, tulips and daffodils in the containers outside the window are beginning to bloom. There are lots of little birds flitting about in the trees. Spring is doing its best to banish the winter cold. This is a regular joy in my life.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity. I am preparing some paintings for a display of my Monday Painters work
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.Today it is more like autumn tha spring. There is a thick sea mist. My usual view of countryside is reduced to about 500 yards. Everything looks damp and grey.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down. Took things slow and easy today. Planning to do the same tomorrow as it’s Mother’s Day in UK.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are. My writing desk has a lovely view of the countryside beyond houses. And there are lots of bird life flying about amongst the trees in the neighbouring gardens..
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today. My writing, and my art always makes me happy, and sharing it with like-minded people makes them happy. That means that today was filled with focusing on what makes myself and others happy.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else. ’Love Affair’ - Rainbow Valley. (NOW! That’s 60’s)Hubby came home and disturbed me 😝
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25 Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see
    what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

[/quote]
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited March 2023
    I realized that I only drink 16 to 32 ounces of water a day. I used to drink more when I could count pop as liquid. I looked it up and I should be drinking at least 100 ounces of water per day. I know that liquid other than water counts. But I have a hard time, even drinking half of that amount, and that even counts my 2 cups of broth. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to drink more water?

Mary - I'm not sure where you looked it up, but 100 ounces of water a day is possibly too much for your body to handle, especially if you're not counting other liquids that you drink. The vast amount of the research today (here's one from the Mayo Clinic: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-minute-drink-to-thirst/ ) says drink when you're thirsty. Your body knows when it needs liquid. That said, you're living in a dry climate and you're exercising, so you may need more than our ladies in Oregon or Washington, but trust your body to know when you're thirsty. Setting any kind of arbitrary number of ounces to drink isn't necessarily the best thing for you.

Regarding your gut biome and drinking soda pop, I didn't realize you were drinking sugared soda. The sugar in just one of them would put my gut on tilt for days. They used to think carbonated water was bad for your bones and your gut, but there's no research that has actually proved that, either. Diet soda won't hurt you, and if you're replacing sugared with unsugared pop, you will cut those calories without feeling the loss.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    Morning ladies
    Im at the airport
    I had to heave ho heavy duffle ,my carry on and my Cpap all the way from the rental car garage to the terminal.
    I thought I was going to pass out. Got to information and they got me a wheelchair..
    The nice lady that pushed me is originally from Ethiopia and has 5 kids under 6 said I looked like i was in my early 50s because my skin was so smooth ,no I dont have wrinkles cause there is so much fat lol..Bless her heart....
    Im glad I left early to get here because the traffic down here us insane ,at 6:30 in the morning it was bumper to bumper heading into Nashville. Luckily I wasn't going that way.. they are doing alot of work at the airport here and I am here at the gate and policewoman just walked by with an AK 47 strapped to her.😳
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,365 Member
    Tina - Love your descriptions of your dive trips. Was just starting to look around for you, glad you're back. Sorry about the mister's man cold that he passed on to you.

Barbara - Worried about you, my chicken. Hope it's a wonderful reason for your absence, but you know how we worry....

Katla - So glad to see you post, we miss you when you're not here...

Rori - 👋 Waving back... hope you're feeling better!

Machka - Thank you for the explanation, because I was getting a little confused, too. It's a foreign concept to most U.S. companies. I've worked in more than one organization that didn't even want to provide extensive skills training for employees, because they feel they're just making it easy for them to leave and get better pay elsewhere. It sounds as if your whole system is built on the truth that the better the employees' experience, skills and training, the more benefit they are to the organization.

Allie - Safe travels!

I slept almost nine hours straight last night, which is just glorious. It took retiring and UC to finally teach me to sleep... In reality, sleeping was never the problem--I was just purely incapable of going BACK to sleep throughout most of my working life. This translated to four to six hours sleep a night for decades. I'm making up for that now, I guess!

Cold, wet and drippy outside, then the rest of the week is supposed to be warmer, wet and drippy outside. There are worse things...

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    Finally caught up! Have been reading, but lots going on. Just finished at heart doctor....we are in hold pattern for another test and the electrical heart doctor. I need to get back to work. :p I will try to catch you up later.

So many HUGS!
    So many WELCOMES!
    So many HEALING THOUGHTS!

<3
    Kylia still kicking in Ohio
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,300 Member
    I addressed Oakie but should have said Tina...LOL

Sorry,
    Carol in GA