HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

1131132133134135137»

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    I'm struggling with my grip at the moment, it keeps giving out at 60kg deadlifts, I get about five reps in and my fingers loosen up - any tips?

I'll assume you use a double-overhand grip, with the palms of both hands facing you on the bar. Many lifters who get close to max weight switch to a mixed grip, with one hand still facing "down" and the other hand twisting to face "up." This way if your right hand starts to tire and the bar rolls away from the palm, it's now rolling INTO the left palm, and vice versa. Making this switch can easily add another 10%-20% to how much you can lift...personally I swap when I get above 75% of my 1RM.

Now, which palm up or down? Totally a comfort call on your part. Try both, see which feels more natural for you. Just be extra careful to make sure BOTH elbows are straightened out before you initiate the pull, else you risk tearing a bicep.

Should you go back and forth, swapping the over/under hands every week/set/rep? I've seen arguments for yes and for no. If you're competitive bodybuilding it may be a good idea to ensure even development on stage, but for a person like me who just lifts for fun and fighting off age, I warm up with double overhand, swap to my preferred mixed grip, and use it exclusively.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    I'm struggling with my grip at the moment, it keeps giving out at 60kg deadlifts, I get about five reps in and my fingers loosen up - any tips?

I'll assume you use a double-overhand grip, with the palms of both hands facing you on the bar. Many lifters who get close to max weight switch to a mixed grip, with one hand still facing "down" and the other hand twisting to face "up." This way if your right hand starts to tire and the bar rolls away from the palm, it's now rolling INTO the left palm, and vice versa. Making this switch can easily add another 10%-20% to how much you can lift...personally I swap when I get above 75% of my 1RM.

Now, which palm up or down? Totally a comfort call on your part. Try both, see which feels more natural for you. Just be extra careful to make sure BOTH elbows are straightened out before you initiate the pull, else you risk tearing a bicep.

Should you go back and forth, swapping the over/under hands every week/set/rep? I've seen arguments for yes and for no. If you're competitive bodybuilding it may be a good idea to ensure even development on stage, but for a person like me who just lifts for fun and fighting off age, I warm up with double overhand, swap to my preferred mixed grip, and use it exclusively.

You can also hookgrip. Keeps the biceps level and minimises the risk of bicep flaring / imbalance, but it’s not everyone’s favourite for some reason 🤣

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    You can also hookgrip. Keeps the biceps level and minimises the risk of bicep flaring / imbalance, but it’s not everyone’s favourite for some reason 🤣

Certainly not my favorite, that's for sure, lol.

There's a thread on MFP talking about weightlifting straps for times when grip strength is a limiting factor.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member

Certainly not my favorite, that's for sure, lol.

There's a thread on MFP talking about weightlifting straps for times when grip strength is a limiting factor.
    Yes confession time, I’m an Oly lifter so I hookgrip everything - even squats. No I still don’t like it’
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Hey, lifting!!!Thanks for the upper body strength!

uh4dbbmue6x5.jpeg
    0dc35ocxgvvl.jpeg

Seeing that is so inspiring! Thanks for posting!
  • lightstrongma
    lightstrongma Posts: 182 Member
    Just looked at the last few posts. Amazing.. I can’t wait..to see the rest!
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    So in an update to my grip issues, I've developed mild arthritis in my thumbs - I've resorted to some straps! Tried out today, they're great! Should have done it ages ago!
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 205 Member
    @Jacq_qui can you explain the straps please? I have wrist arthritis and wondering if it could help me. TIA!
  • Jacq_qui

Never thanked you for replying to this - I use this mixed grip for all my warm up weights now - straps for heavy lifts :)
  • Jacq_qui
    @MurphmomSparkles Hi, sorry, just seen this. Mine actually pull on my wrists a bit, so you might not find it any more comfortable. But there are a lot of different types - I have bear grips - but more traditional straps which bind around might be more supportive!? I've also started doing some grip training in between sets which use my legs, worth a look on you tube IMO!

• This looks like the place for inspiration!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,406 Member
    I’m so excited. I ordered a set of the Versa Gripps some folks were discussing on another thread. They are “out for delivery”.

I’m such a delicate flower after weight loss that I have tiny little wrists and they’re always tweaking. (An extensive yoga arm balance practice and XL aquabells for aquafit doesn’t help any😬.) Hoping these will help with some of the aches and pain. In fact, if there’s a way to adapt them for yoga and or aquafit, I’m willing to order another pair to experiment with and potentially destroy. I’m dying to see what they do and if they live up to the hype.

Any of you ladies have experience with them?
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    @springlering62 yes!! I love my Versa Grips! Let us know how you like them!

I’m just getting back to MFP after taking a break but not a break from lifting-just online break. Happy to see you and sone others are still crushing it!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,406 Member
    nay0m3 wrote: »
    @springlering62 yes!! I love my Versa Grips! Let us know how you like them!

I’m just getting back to MFP after taking a break but not a break from lifting-just online break. Happy to see you and sone others are still crushing it!

So I just got the opportunity to try them for the first time today.

I only got to use them for seated single and double arm rows, and I really liked them. I even got a new and very solid PB on the double arm rows.

Then tried them in “Muscle Madness” class. Very distracting with the flipping and resetting. Granted, I’m not accustomed yet, but seemed overkill for that class. Removed them about halfway through.

Very excited to try them back in the gym again

My only issue thus far, I ordered smalls using their wrist measurement system. I have unusually long hands, though, so I wish the “shoe tongue” on them was longer. I’m wondering if the mediums would have a longer tongue.

Also, the Velcro is super “grabby” and I can see myself wearing expensive tanks out much faster. Will have to remember to wear my cheaper tanks to the gym.

• newglories
    newglories Posts: 1 Member
    🙂
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!