WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to wish Lisa a happy birthday!

Will catch up later.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,609 Member
    Options
    <3
    Have a GREAT day!
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Lanette, I usually eat a light breakfast with some kind of protein around 10am. Lunch is salad and sandwich around 2pm. Early supper at about 5:30. If I snack it is usually an apple with peanut butter or popcorn. My weight is stable .. if I begin to gain, I cut back on portions and drop the gain. On the cruise I gained 2.5 lbs but when I came home and went back to my eating routine, I dropped the gain. I need to include protein with every meal... cheese, sardines, peanut butter, greek yogurt, chicken, nuts... and I try to stay away from sugar and empty carbs. Dinners are often soups.

Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    3z7aw3bxzcc7.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Happiest of Birthday's Lisa !!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Lisa
    🎉🎂🥳Happy Birthday 🥳🎂🎉
    Have a great time Celebrating

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Lisa :flowerforyou:

Kelly our guts do influence what we like to eat. It does not surprise me that your DH has the health issues he has with his food preferences. Perhaps he needs to think of food as medicine to get his gut working better. A few years ago I mentioned the book Eating on the Wild Side. One of the author's points was that our veggies are being bred to appeal to our love of a sweet taste. Unfortunately the more bitter a vegetable tastes it is often better for us because of the nutrients it contains. If it is sweeter you know it will contain more sugars.

I like my bitter veggies like Brussel sprouts. I like to add apple cider vinegar to my recipe for bone broth give it a tang and Mary it helps draw out the calcium and our goodies the bones have in them. I make my own broth too Mary. I Make it for DrewB and me. I also like Kombucha that has a vinegary tang. I have introduced it to some friends who have been on antibiotics and it is too bitter for them. I really wish my friend who was just diagnosed with lung cancer after that first gave her a round of antibiotics because they wanted to rule out an infection first liked Kombucha. She didn't. Unfortunately her first choice is something sweet. I had to bite my tongue when I learned antibiotics were given to someone with cancer with no follow up to help her gut recover. She has enough to process with her diagnosis and all the medical procedures that have followed.

Carla We lost power for two hours in the night so it didn't affect us very much. No big branches fortunately only small ones. A couple trees fell into a street nearby from the woods that are down the street from us. Hopefully we are done with snow! The 50 had yesterday felt wonderful!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    First cup of tea around 7.10
    We eat breakfast at around 8 before our exercises.
    Lunch at 12. Usually a sandwich.
    I've stopped the afternoon snack, (most of the time.)
    Dinner at 6. Main course.
    Dessert around 7.45. Cheese or piece of chocolate around 8. One toffee after that.
    My problem at the moment is too much carb at lunchtime, so I'm trying to make it an open sandwich some days. Plus alcohol in the evening. Cutting down on that. We have an aperitif at 5.15. :o

Tonight is fish soup.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who post their schedules. I think it helps to see what others are doing. Sometimes I get a good idea on how to mix things up.

Basically, I get up between 6-6:30 am every day and go to bed between 9-10 pm. I have a light breakfast, a late lunch and an early dinner. I have GERD, so I can’t eat late or I will be sleeping in the recliner.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday is Silver Sneakers low impact aerobics. I try to make all 3 days. The rest of the week I do 60 minutes on my exercise bike then weights and floor exercises. Saturday is archery training. I have started to walk the dogs again for short walks. I feel so bad for them that I can’t walk from the house anymore because of the loose dogs. But, I’m getting a new routine down for them to

My diet is basically Atkins with a Mediterranean diet flare. I try not to eat more than 1000 cal a day.

Right now I have stabilized at 140 and I’m trying to get myself motivated to lose the next 10 pounds.

Hugs to those who need them and fingers crossed that we all have a good day and a good week.

Jeannie in New Mexico
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Lisa!
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Lisa! May you have a wonderful day and a marvelous year!

Annie in Delaware
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options

I like my bitter veggies like Brussel sprouts. I like to add apple cider vinegar to my recipe for bone broth give it a tang and Mary it helps draw out the calcium and our goodies the bones have in them. I make my own broth too Mary. I Make it for DrewB and me. I also like Kombucha that has a vinegary tang. I have introduced it to some friends who have been on antibiotics and it is too bitter for them. I really wish my friend who was just diagnosed with lung cancer after that first gave her a round of antibiotics because they wanted to rule out an infection first liked Kombucha. She didn't. Unfortunately her first choice is something sweet. I had to bite my tongue when I learned antibiotics were given to someone with cancer with no follow up to help her gut recover. She has enough to process with her diagnosis and all the medical procedures that have followed.

Carla We lost power for two hours in the night so it didn't affect us very much. No big branches fortunately only small ones. A couple trees fell into a street nearby from the woods that are down the street from us. Hopefully we are done with snow! The 50 had yesterday felt wonderful!

I did just find out about the apple cider vinegar and bone broth when I looked up a recipe! Thanks for the input! My son had to move during that snowstorm! My sister was supposed to move on Saturday, but ended up rescheduling for Sunday, which was a much better day! I hope the sun shines bright and melts all that snow!! We’re hoping to return soon, but I want to wait until it warms up!!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,047 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a huge risk today. I have three new tee shirts, dark brown, royal blue and bright red. I decided to wash them all together on cold delicate. I don't think dyes run as much as they used to, but I shall find out!

I have been lounging around so far today. I read the next book for my book group. And I've got regular laundry going, too. Next up is some yoga and then I will make a meatloaf for tonight.

Have a great day my friends!

Annie in Delaware

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    April 2023 Action for Happiness

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate Spring sunshine.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 2/15 (100%,100%,80%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 2/30 (84%,86%,94%)
    6 min -2x a day start April 1 4/60
    Arm weights twice a week /10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder 30%)
    Meditation: daily. 2/30 (82%(started Feb)94%)

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(100%,100%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. (7,700,100%-9851,100%—9526,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 19/158/ —(100%,100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)26/64–(100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4 (100%,100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 2/20-(100%,88%,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 12/12 (100%,100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700(100%,100%,100%,100%)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

ACTIVE APRIL
    1. Commit to being more active this month starting today. I commit to this by adding the exercises from the 6 minute book for over 60’s.
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Easy! LOL
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. I do this during walking meditations every day.
    Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water.
    5. Tureen a regular activity into a playful game today.
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.
    22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.
    24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

RVRita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find a balance with my eating that works for me.
    I rarely eat breakfast. I have my tea( at least 2 cups) when I get up but don't usually feel hungry and I had been waiting until I got home from my walk and picking up my daycare girl from school at 1;10 to have my first meal.
    I talked to the nutritionist and she said I am not loosing any weight because my metabolism is too low. I need to eat a little in the morning to break the fast and get it going. It needs to be a protein and fiber, like a piece of cheese and some whole wheat crackers. She is not telling me a calorie number to stay at (I stay at 1000-1100 most days)
    My problem is that if I do eat first thing in the morning, I am hungry all day and snack/eat too much.
    One thing I know I can not do is have any kind of sweets in the morning. I start feeling sick just minutes after if I do. My body telling me I shouldn't be eating it-(pre-diabetic).