WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2023

Options

Replies

• myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Kim —The photos of your California Poppy peeking through your fence are delightful. ❤️

Barbie — I agree with you about the hazards of chest freezers. Our daughter fell into ours long ago. She was looking for something for her lunch at school. I helped her out of the freezer. She got dressed for school & got on the school bus. I waved goodbye to our daughter, emptied the chest freezer and DH & I dragged it down the driveway with a “free” sign on it. It disappeared minutes after she climbed into the school bus. We replaced the chest freezer with a new upright freezer that same day. We were so lucky & very grateful that she wasn’t hurt. 💖

Katla

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,507 Member
    Options
    💖
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,861 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor. Oops.
    Karen so by not “being nice” you were able to be present for your “be nice” friend and bless her with a new direction. Well done! Rum cake might be worth a few velvet barbs…
    Kelly :love: “We all enter as the light. What we become coming out the other side of life/the prism, can be very different than the person next to us.”
    Lisa my blouses/turtlenecks hang in ROYGBIV order ;):love: thinking about people as light and the light we/they bring.
    Allie I still say “Bless your heart” and mean it sweetly, but then everyone can tell from my accent that I’m not Southern. ;)
    Katla what a scary chest freezer story!
    Barbie eeeuuuwww
    Heather “…go alone than drag a reluctant partner…” Truth this. Took me awhile to learn but it has been one of the saving graces of our marriage. Johnny is one brave grandpa to have the girls that long on his own before his DDS appointment. Wow.
    Kim what lovely photos of your sunny surprise. Glad you found some joy.
    Rosemarie glad you and your son had good weather for dog walking.
    Annie Brava for successful graphics card driver update. Doggone those Windows updates!
    Terri so glad you are safely home, and giving your body time to recover from the surgery and meds.
    04/23: Move: 0 sets PT :sick:, dogs to powerline, Jeopardy walking. steps:8528
    Fuel: plants running count for week so far: 23+9 beets, blueberries, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrots, celery, cucumber, ginger snap, granola, honeydew, hummus, juices-beet/carrot/celery/lettuce/parsley/spinach/tomato/watercress, juice/pineapple, mushrooms, onion, orange, popcorn, prune, sweet peppers-orange/red/yellow, tea, turmeric, watermelon, wheat-fettuccine. CI=1541
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, church, fellowship, groom dogs. Wt:132.5

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. April: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,238 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Lisa: 🥰 rainbow post. I have several of those crystals which sit on my windowsills, and rotating crystals hanging in my windows. And a mirror ball. I love that they fill my bedroom with rainbows as the sun rises at this time of the year.

Barbara: I hang my clothes in the wardrobe by colour 😝
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    ACTIVE APRIL
    1. Commit to being more active this month starting today. Yes!
    2. Spend as much time as possible outdoors today. Yes!
    3. Listen to your body and be grateful for what it can do. Yes! I can garden, which requires all sorts of body motion, and cycle.
    4. Eat healthy and natural food today and drinks lots of water. Yes! Ate my usual food and drank lots of water up till about 8 pm. We won't talk about what happened after that.
    5. Turn a regular activity into a playful game today. Hmmm ... Walking around the shops? Climbing stairs?
    6. Do a body-scan meditation and really notice how your body feels. Achy.
    7. Get natural light early in the day. Dim the lights in the evening.
    There isn't much light early in the day here. Plus I was sleeping then. Plus it was cloudy, drizzly and rainy all day.
    But I do dim the lights in the evening. It's one of many steps I take to wind down in the evenings to prepare myself for the night.
    8. give your body a boost by laughing or making someone laugh
    I rarely laugh. Most things don't strike me funny.
    Lots of things amuse me, but not enough for laughter.
    9. Turn your housework or chores into a fun form of exercise
    I often do, but as today's work involved sitting at 2 computers, I walked on the treadmill during a break instead.
    10. Have a day with less screen time and more movement
    Unfortunately, today was another day sitting at 2 computers.
    But I did go downstairs to row and lift weights.
    Hoping the rain will let up soon!!! It's been 4 days already!
    11. Set yourself an exercise goal or sign up to an activity challenge
    One of my more favourite areas!! :)
    We aim to cycle at least one 50 km ride each month and have been doing that for a while. :) At our AGM at the end of March, we got a bag full of these each. :)
    c9d65r471d9g.png
    We will have to see when we can fit our April ride in ... the 5 days off over Easter would have been good but it rained and rained and was cold and windy. Snow at higher elevations.
    Maybe next weekend ... we'll see.
    AND ... one of the bigger running events moved their event to September which is fantastic for me. Originally, it was this month, but I was nowhere near ready to even sign up for the 5K. Now I've got the winter to get in shape. :)
    Also, now that I'm working back in the same building I was in about 16 months ago, with many of the same people, we've started our stair climbing challenge again. We are easing into it this month because of Easter and ANZAC Day but we'll be ready to be much more consistent in May.
    The stair climbing challenge is exciting because when I'm busy climbing 20+ flights of 20 stairs each day I am at work, I lose weight.
    12. Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside
    Absolutely! I climbed stairs. :)
    13. Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time
    I do when I have to work the next day ... make sure I get at least 7 hours of sleep.
    But I am not keen on that. I'm a night owl and like to get things done late at night. Having to be in bed by 11:45 pm is a bit uncomfortably early.
    14. Relax your body & mind with yoga, tai chi or meditation.
    Gardening ... will gardening do?
    15. Get active by singing today (even if you think you can’t sing)
    I sing every day. My husband is very polite about it. :)
    16. Go exploring around your local area and notice new things
    I've spent 5 years on our island.
    I've done a lot of local exploring!
    I think exploring locally is a great idea and some people don't do enough of it. However, I'm getting more and more restless to go somewhere else as the weeks go by.
    17. Be active outside. Dig up weeds or plant some seeds
    I usually do this on the weekend when there's daylight.
    However, I occasionally do some weeding in the pitch dark when I walk Rhody right after work.
    18. Try a new online exercise, activity or dance class.
    Hmmmmmmm ... not that keen on online exercise, aside from Zwift.
    However, I have started a stair climbing challenge at work, and we keep track of it on an Excel spreadsheet. :)
    19. Spend less time sitting today. Get up and move more often.
    Walking in the morning and evening as part of my commute.
    Walking at lunch.
    Climbing stairs.
    Walking back and forth to the kitchen and toilet.
    Walking with Rhody after work.
    20. Focus on eating ‘a rainbow of multi-colored vegetables today.
    As always. :)
    21. Regularly pause to stretch and breathe during the day.

Does huffing and puffing up and down 20 flights of stairs count?

22. Enjoy moving to your favorite music. Really go for it.

I always enjoy my music, but I don't necessarily move to it.

23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor.

Not on the 23rd (Sunday) but today.

24. Get active in nature. Feed the birds or go wild-life spotting.

Walking ... and watching the pigeons.
    25. Have a ‘no screens’ night and take time to recharge yourself.
    26. Take an extra break in your day and walk outside for 15 minutes
    27. Find a fun exercise to do while waiting for the kettle to boil (or pan of water.)
    28. Meet a friend outside for a walk and a chat.
    29. Become an activist for a cause you really believe in
    30. Make time to run, swim, dance, cycle or stretch today

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Woke up at 4:45 am with a belly ache..I have my annual physical in June but unfortunately I think I need to speak with her about going celiac disease or going gluten free..
    I've found that if I eat certain things I feel horrible and bloated ,same with dairy.. im guessing this all started after the heart surgeries and has gotten worse..
    Sheesh like I need this on top of everything else.. oh well will teach me to eat better I guess.
  • Machka9
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I think that this generation is much better at speaking their truth, respecting their own boundaries and not trying to please everyone. I think this why so many of our generation looks down on them. I applaud them.
    Tracey in Edmonton
    Machka: Women of my generation were taught to subjugate our own needs to those of others. However, I eventually learnt that it was not good for one’s mental health, and became more tuned in to my own needs and wants.

Well done Terri!

Various people throughout my life tried to encourage me to "be a lady" and tried to encourage me to learn the things that would make me a lady.

Fortunately, my parents didn't do much of that. They encouraged me to pursue the things I wanted to do. They encouraged me to go to school and make education and a career a priority. And they taught me to speak up.

It probably helped that my mother and both grandmothers worked. My mother, in particular, had a career as a nurse and worked in some difficult areas like the Emergency Department. She didn't take anything from the drunk idiots who had injured themselves but had all sorts of alcohol-induced attitude.

The women closest to me were/are strong women.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I walked 2 miles on the treadmill today and attended an exercise class. Then I spent several hours looking at different summer festivals and music concerts. I am craving hearing some live music. I think the last time was May 2018. I looked in Atlanta, Athens GA and Asheville NC. I am hoping my son and daughter in law will go to a concert with me.

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Well done! :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Machka ~ I have every one of the signs you listed as neurodivergent. One thing that wasn't listed is I cannot stand to be seated between people and always want to sit on the outside of the row.
    Carol in GA
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I don't like sitting between people and opt for the end seat or the aisle seat or sitting out of the way or not going anywhere that might cause me to be crowded in. I call it one manifestation of claustrophobia. When I was working, there was a meeting at the beginning of the school year held at the high school auditorium where the superintendent had a message to share. All my colleagues went in groups and sat together in the middle of the row in the middle of the auditorium. I went alone and sat far down in front stage right in the little row that had only two seats and no one ever sat beside me. The superintendent thought I was especially interested in the message and had no idea it was a survival technique for me.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA

Yes, could be one manifestation of claustrophobia.

I'm fine in lifts and small rooms and caves etc. but put me in the middle of a row in an auditorium full of people, and I have to fight to keep from standing up and climbing out on top of people's heads. I have to find something to focus on to try to keep calm.

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

Tracey, that's just wonderful that Athena likes to sew! I loved to sew when I was young. Made most of my own clothes and a lot for my kids and grands. Of course, they don't want Grammy's handmades anymore. LOL. Yes, our laws are quite strict in some areas and don't get me started in others!

None of those sleep styles fit me to a tee. I'm probably closest to a lion, I guess. I like to get up and get things done because I tend to drag in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I stay up way too late at night though!

No Karen, she wasn't confused. Once they're 16, even though they're not "an adult" in the eyes of the law, they are considered rightfully allowed to privacy of their own medical information. I was told, even in the doctor's office, that she had a "allow" me to come in with her. Again, that was prior to us having them both sign the release forms. After than, our clinic had a copy and I carried one with me 24/7, just in case!

OMG, Kelly... that's the first thing I thought of too! Why didn't ya kill the danged thing and have a dinner at least. Would made up for some of that $1000 anyway! I'm sorry. lol
    Oh and ADHD is different for everyone. Male, female and each individual. It can come out as not being able to sit still or simply not being able to focus. Like you say, maybe it's shutting down when there's "too much" of whatever. That's why it's so tough for some teachers to deal with some of the kids. They're all over the place and it doesn't all (I'm losing my words today, sorry) "show" the same way so you can't treat Johnny the way you can Susie, but you can't treat Sam the way you can Johnny either.

OH HEAVENS Katla that had to be scary! Our neighbor had one of those huge chest freezers and it scared the jeepers outta me. Never could quite figure out why, but maybe that was it.

How pretty, Kim...

23. Go out and do an errand for a loved one or neighbor... I'll have to do that this week.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN

I respectfully disagree, Carla, but I understand your answer; I believe it reflects the common misconceptions about & misinterpretations of HIPAA among many, many medical providers and patients. And of course I could be wrong! However, I have done extensive reading and study of this issue, because it affected the welfare of my clients and my own livelihood.

Read for yourself and see what you think:
    https://nahic.ucsf.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Minnesota-AYAH-Confidentiality-Guide_Final.pdf

The age of consent is 15 or 16 in many states, but I don’t believe that equates to a provider being required to obtain consent from an unemancipated minor whose parents are footing the bill when that minor has influenza and her mother is trying to get a prescription for Tamiflu.

Respectfully yours,

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Lanette: I hope you got the computer fixed okay!

Annie: Good of you to donate the saddle!

Lisa: Glad you hemoglobin is almost normal!

Debbie: We had a freezer growing up. There were 6 of us, but married I have not had an extra freezer. I really didn't do much with frozen food until COVID hit. Since then I have been freezing more often.

Terri: Glad the surgery went well

Barbara: Hope you are feeling better!

Heather: I love Yearning Yellow. I am glad you are going to your niece's wedding.

Heather/Ginny: I was diagnosed with ADHD in my late 40's and this explained a lot about my life. I take medication for it.

As a child I was a day dreamer and this is a sign of ADD in girls. As an adult I struggled with organization and piles. I always had piles. I am a member of ADDA...The Attention deficit Disorder Association. Knowing one has ADD is important because then you can give yourself extra time to organize and make better career decisions.

Machka: My husband and I use to go to the local symphony here while he was still able to walk. I have a Great Courses lecture series on the different composers of the symphonies.

Aundy: Happy Birthday

Karen: I would be struggling to discern who to get to know to become friends with. I am happy for you that you are doing such a great job with this. I hate cafeterias because one is forced to chose who to sit with. I don't go to Parish Night Out at the church because of this. I also could make an urn for my husband's ashes. I am thinking about this. I could make it yellow--his favorite color.

Tracy: Congrats on the arrival of Reece James.

I drove the 2 hours to Atlanta in the disability van and brought my son his Dad's desk. I am home now. We took a 1.5 mile walk with his 3 dogs. It was a beautiful day! For the knitting, I have been asked to buy bamboo needles. I understand the cast on stitches stay in place better with bamboo. I did an exercise class at the gym on Friday and plan to go back tomorrow.

I’ve made several blunders but am getting better at being discerning. The cafeteria thing can be a dilemma, but we do have several singles who choose to sit alone and fortunately their choice is generally respected. I hope you do make an urn for your husband. I see many lovely examples of yellow urns on line, and with some practice I think even I could make one of the simpler ones. There are some amazing glazes that can be used to mimic the inlay effect shown on one of these urns. One of my fellow pot makers made a plate with a similar mother-of-pearl-like glaze.

6p1epcb4vqjm.jpeg
    ep75hazzs7fa.jpeg

Karen in Virginia
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Hello ladies!

I had a mental victory today. My laptop screen has been dark and flickering in the weirdest intermittent way. I was almost ready to buy new, even looked on Amazon but the specs are so overwhelming. So I girded my loins ( by eating chocolate for courage) and looked up the problem online, found a solution, tried it, and it seems to work! I refreshed the graphics card driver after a Windows 11 update. Yay! I knew that laptop was too young to die! Twenty years ago I knew a lot about Windows, but now I'm lost without explicit help. But I did it!

And I did twenty minutes on my bike, which doesn't balance the chocolate I ate.

Annie in Delaware

Well done!

I'm toying with the idea of uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling it but I am hesitating ...

M in Oz