WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    DH'S cauliflower cheese was excellent. Lovely not to have to do all the faff. <3
    And he is still doing the washing up!

I had my spicy tomato juice at cocktail time. Really enjoyed it. Saves on a bit of alcohol. I also love carrot juice.

Max tomorrow at 9 am. Then off to The Regency for fish and chips for lunch. Can't wait! I resisted it all through the cruise, so I'm delighted to have Max for a good excuse. :p I will take the bus there. Don't know what the boys will do. Happy to walk back, as Max can let himself into the flat on the way.
    Small pleasures. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,228 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,637 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    I have been reading along…. But not saying much. I did a bit of traveling and don’t like to post that until I am back.

I went to Morro Bay, CA to visit a friend, she has had some mental health challenges the past few years, and has a very simple controlled lifestyle that works for her. So it is a planed quiet restful time near the beach for me. I can do 3-4 days and then it is a bit to slow for me and I am ready to get back into a more active lifestyle. So I am home.

A casual friend has opened her pool for lap swimming to a few of us, the pool is 30 feet long, I am going over twice a week, and am doing 60 laps in freestyle – I take a short break every 20 laps, my goal is 1 mile and that would be 176 laps - I am not sure I can get to that many – I don’t know when but they will close the pool for the winter. But for now it is a good workout. I was surprised to find that the other gals are swimming breast stroke – with their head up talking the whole time, I am burning a lot more calories. But I do socialize a bit when I get there and again before leaving. I really want to become closer friends to these gals but my first priority is the calorie burn.

Welcome to all the new gals! (and anyone just lurking) this is a busy forum, rarely does anyone respond to everything, but most times someone says something that is interesting enough to respond.

The comments about fasting – I know it works well for many, but don’t push if it doesn't work for you that is OKAY.
    I had to fast for 24 hours prior to a colonoscopy (according to the paperwork) then drink the clean out solution. At about 20 hours there were snakes and dragons breaking through the walls of my bedroom chasing me around the house, I was scared to death. As I was ready to call 911 (our emergency services) I thought of calling the friend who was taking me to the colonoscopy she came over – talked me down enough and took me to the hospital where the colonoscopy was to happen. Talking to the Doc was scary as he kept shape shifting….. Hallucinations are SCARY - I have never had that before, After it was done and they got “food” in me via iv I was ok again.

After a later meeting with my primary doctor they will be altering the standard protocol for any other fasting I need to do. So my recommendation is start fasting with less hours and work your way up – unless there is no other option.

Smoke – like wildfire smoke and other crappy air situations, I came across this idea on the net so probably most have seen/heard this but just in case – using a standard box fan and a disposable furnace filter, (as close in size as you can find to your fan) attach with twist ties or plastic cable ties the filter to the back of the fan, cut a hole for the electrical cord and push it through then run the fan, it will move the air and filter it at the same time. When the filter is dirty just replace it. The fancy air filters are often hard to find when there is a sudden influx of smoke but this seems like a great option, and will help our pets who are not willing/interested in wearing a mask. There are commercial air filters who will get even smaller particles, but anything is better than nothing.

Allie – Try not to take it to personally that you were not invited, it was probably an oversight.
    Machka- hope you get all the right medical care for your knee – ACL or MCL tears are tough
    Heather – The watercolors are excellent, you have so much talent.
    Rori – in my crazy schedule I had missed the page where you tell of your gentleman friend, so I scrolled back until I found it. I loved the no drama part! Enjoy!!!
    Michele – I had also missed your gecko – Adorable!

Kim in HOT N. California
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    I did 45 minutes on my bike! Longest time since I got it. No intervals today, because it is supposed to be a rest day. But I ate the calories so I had to do some exercise.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Jeanne good job at the gym! We all started with short workouts and increased gradually. That's the way to do it!

FitBee9 hiking the AT! Wonderful! I did some in Pennsylvania as a child. Many years ago!

Today I ate 1306 calories. That's a lot for me. I did forty five minutes on my bike, Yay! My deficit today is only 14, but that's okay for Sunday. As long as I don't eat anything else, it will be fine.

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,425 Member
    Options
    Heather - Thou were't never a "raddled old hag," woman! I understand the feeling, though... I'm calling it "wrinkle river" in my case. I lean forward, and all the extra skin flows into odd, wrinkly shapes. It all came adrift with this last weight loss. Just one more way of becoming what I am, I guess. Thanks for the comments on the post.

Carol - You are stronger than the wine, my dear. Perhaps Heather's technique of drinking alcohol-free wine on occasion, but not all occasions, might be helpful. Maybe substitute an alcohol-free wine some nights? Or even blend them together to drop the alcohol content? There's always a way, if you want to try to make a change.

Lanette - One of the things that I found in my early research was that the majority of morbidly obese women who sought bariatric surgery were abused as children. Our weight is inextricably bound into every single aspect of our lives, and how we use food goes right along with it as well. In all honesty, I didn't really get much from the therapist that I had to see as a bariatric candidate. It was a box to tick. I was just interested in changing the outside, which it did. I did the headwork after the surgery. I do wish sometimes that we came with a user's manual.

Ah... time to stop on this one, I've had it open most of the day while I distract myself. And now, it's time for Jell-O. I am a fortunate woman, to be able to have this kind of modern medicine at my fingertips, and I need to keep reminding myself of that.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Not aloud bariatric surgery because of the kidney transplant. Am watching Love Boat on Pluto T.V.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    8rc16d3y68xa.jpg
    Rainy day play .. contemplating his next move...
    bya8xaes7bgj.jpg
    My brother Sean after a dip in the lake with Buddy ...you can tell looking at him..its his right eye that is messed up.. poor guy..wont get the MRI on it for a few more weeks.kn9g7o99alny.jpg
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,980 Member
    Options
    8rc16d3y68xa.jpg
    Rainy day play .. contemplating his next move...
    bya8xaes7bgj.jpg
    My brother Sean after a dip in the lake with Buddy ...you can tell looking at him..its his right eye that is messed up.. poor guy..wont get the MRI on it for a few more weeks.kn9g7o99alny.jpg

The picture of the cat with Miles makes me think the cat is thinking that is it's new litter box.
    Or, maybe just a new box to sleep in-hopefully that. (I just know our cats ;) )
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    I have been reading along…. But not saying much. I did a bit of traveling and don’t like to post that until I am back.

I went to Morro Bay, CA to visit a friend, she has had some mental health challenges the past few years, and has a very simple controlled lifestyle that works for her. So it is a planed quiet restful time near the beach for me. I can do 3-4 days and then it is a bit to slow for me and I am ready to get back into a more active lifestyle. So I am home.

A casual friend has opened her pool for lap swimming to a few of us, the pool is 30 feet long, I am going over twice a week, and am doing 60 laps in freestyle – I take a short break every 20 laps, my goal is 1 mile and that would be 176 laps - I am not sure I can get to that many – I don’t know when but they will close the pool for the winter. But for now it is a good workout. I was surprised to find that the other gals are swimming breast stroke – with their head up talking the whole time, I am burning a lot more calories. But I do socialize a bit when I get there and again before leaving. I really want to become closer friends to these gals but my first priority is the calorie burn.

Welcome to all the new gals! (and anyone just lurking) this is a busy forum, rarely does anyone respond to everything, but most times someone says something that is interesting enough to respond.

The comments about fasting – I know it works well for many, but don’t push if it doesn't work for you that is OKAY.
    I had to fast for 24 hours prior to a colonoscopy (according to the paperwork) then drink the clean out solution. At about 20 hours there were snakes and dragons breaking through the walls of my bedroom chasing me around the house, I was scared to death. As I was ready to call 911 (our emergency services) I thought of calling the friend who was taking me to the colonoscopy she came over – talked me down enough and took me to the hospital where the colonoscopy was to happen. Talking to the Doc was scary as he kept shape shifting….. Hallucinations are SCARY - I have never had that before, After it was done and they got “food” in me via iv I was ok again.

After a later meeting with my primary doctor they will be altering the standard protocol for any other fasting I need to do. So my recommendation is start fasting with less hours and work your way up – unless there is no other option.

Smoke – like wildfire smoke and other crappy air situations, I came across this idea on the net so probably most have seen/heard this but just in case – using a standard box fan and a disposable furnace filter, (as close in size as you can find to your fan) attach with twist ties or plastic cable ties the filter to the back of the fan, cut a hole for the electrical cord and push it through then run the fan, it will move the air and filter it at the same time. When the filter is dirty just replace it. The fancy air filters are often hard to find when there is a sudden influx of smoke but this seems like a great option, and will help our pets who are not willing/interested in wearing a mask. There are commercial air filters who will get even smaller particles, but anything is better than nothing.

Allie – Try not to take it to personally that you were not invited, it was probably an oversight.
    Machka- hope you get all the right medical care for your knee – ACL or MCL tears are tough
    Rori – in my crazy schedule I had missed the page where you tell of your gentleman friend, so I scrolled back until I found it. I loved the no drama part! Enjoy!!!

Kim in HOT N. California

U were at morro bay? I should come visit me in fresno
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Kim in HOT N. California

Oh that's scary about your fasting side effect!. Glad you have it noted in your file.👍🏼💖.

Yes for those that have heard about it, the main thing is to educate yourself. Do your homework. Check with your doctor. Join a support group (mine was a Facebook group). I do the best I can, am not 100% faster. And for me that's ok. You are in the drivers seat, because its not some diet plan you follow. Just like most true lifestyle and eating plans, its got to be something you can sustain for life, until you die. Not until that vacation, or that specific dress.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    Terri, “… a relay task in Hogwarts” ? would you clarify or add a few details?
    Annie well done for upping the resistance on your bike.
    Heather yes please be gentle with yourself. Such a trigger is bound to have repercussions.

07/11 gratitude: enough discretionary income to sign up for Absolutie Dogs’ “Games Club” for $40/ month without feeling guilty or stressed
    07/10: Move: 2 sets PT w/x&a, line dance. Steps:6397
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=18 CI=1160 CO=691
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, Library, Grocery Outlet, gas. Wt:130.7

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. July: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live NOW.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options