Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,387 Member
    Options
    Ginny - yes, I'm on the state pension plan. After I retired from the county 6 years ago, I was able to go back part time, and draw my full pension without penalty because I was under the threshold which is 867 hours per year. The only stipulation was I had to wait 30 consecutive days after retiring before going back to work for a pension eligible employer - in this case, the county again, different department. I am so lucky to have stumbled on to a job with the county many years ago and get on that pension plan.

Kylia - your message to me is somewhere in outer space, lol. I messaged you this morning so we'll see if mine lands in your inbox successfully. :D

Tracey - that intro course sounds neat. Bet you'll enjoy the course a lot. Is it a zoom-type classroom where you can see the instructor and interact?

Heather - that soda bread looks yummy. Looks perfect to dunk into a bowl of soup. :p Glad to hear your son's remodel is in the final stages and they can get their home back hopefully soon.

Vicki - good job telling the boss he can answer the phones if he can't get the higher ups on the move. Sometimes they need a reality check.

Barbie - I just dropped Rosie off for her grooming appointment. There was a news story this week about a new mobile groomer in my area and she is much busier than she thought she'd be.

Several years ago I gathered all my paperwork and went to the DMV for an "Enhanced" driver's license that allows entry into Canada and Mexico - no passport needed. While standing in line, a friend walked by and said she just uses her passport to get into Canada - the waiting time for the document was longer but the price was comparable as I recall. Of course, that might have changed.

Glad to hear of good test & MRI results for many of you. <3 I'm scheduled for yearly blood draw on Friday to check Vit D, B12, and the basic Metabolic panel. Doc says she wants to check my electrolytes and kidney function (in the past these have been fine.)

Ladies, I'm impressed by your wise "refereeing skills" when it comes to your kids and their squabbles with spouses. <3

Cool and overcast day so far. The prediction for hot hot weather next week has backed off a little, I think you gals south of me might get the blast. Did I mention apples are ripening a few weeks earlier than normal and same with the Aronia berries aka "Choke Berries" (not Choke Cherries) Last year they didn't ripen until mid September. Right now the bush is loaded with plump berries - I am holding off for a few weeks if I can to get the berries a little sweeter.

Have a good day-

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Just excavated some (very old) dried black and adzuki beans from the recesses of the pantry and put some on to soak. Is there any danger in eating old beans? No obvious defects or fuzzy mold . . . ;)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    I have some old dried beans so I looked it up.

Dried beans are considered non-perishable. After two to three years, the nutritional value starts diminishing, and all vitamins will be gone after five. (Warm storage temperatures will speed up that quality decrease, too.) But that doesn't mean you couldn't cook and eat them after 10 years if you really wanted to.Apr 13, 2020
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,507 Member
    Options
    Sent box to eldest son for his birthday earlier this week, plus a package to him today on something we ordered. If I could send myself, I would! Just two air holes and I am good.😂😂. I miss that kid.
    Well middle son told me a good time to visit will be in October. She's due in mid Sept, and her Mom will be there from mid August to late September. He wants just them for a bit until we come down. Makes sense. But I did want to come down earlier. We are her in laws and there's a certain hierarchy to it all. I get that they need time to fit the new Baby Puzzle piece into this new larger family puzzle. Now eldest son has leave in Feb before he has to report to next command. I do not know if I can wait that long though.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,904 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 1/20
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 1/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate feeling safe.

Meditation: daily. 8/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 5/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 163/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)66/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 4/15 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 29/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why.
    10. Chick in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too.
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet.
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone.
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments.
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH

A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,997 Member
    Options
    Ginny - yes, I'm on the state pension plan. After I retired from the county 6 years ago, I was able to go back part time, and draw my full pension without penalty because I was under the threshold which is 867 hours per year. The only stipulation was I had to wait 30 consecutive days after retiring before going back to work for a pension eligible employer - in this case, the county again, different department. I am so lucky to have stumbled on to a job with the county many years ago and get on that pension plan.

Have a good day-

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Dh did the same thing(he works for a grocery store)- retired at 52 because he got in on their 85 and out clause(age plus years work equal to 85 and you can retire with full pension). He took 5 1/2 months off-he had to go back by 6months. His restrictions are monthly- no more than 63 hrs a month. They lifted the restrictions for the years of covid and just put them back in May of this year. During that time, he could work as much as he wanted.
    He gets his old pay but isn't managing the department now. He works where they need him. Wed. is always File Mat. for price changes, he was helping in another department stocking a night a week or so and then some shifts back in the deli, his old department.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The window cleaner came today, ( every two months), and it started raining immediately afterwards. :p Our drizzle is usually laden with salt from the sea. :|

Barbara - I know it must hurt that Joe makes so little effort to be with you in any significant sense. Your patience is amazing. I imagine that significant pain must affect mood. My heart goes out to you. <3 l think you are an amazing person, but everyone has their limits. You sound as if you are reaching yours. All love. <3

My son has texted that he is very excited by the GF soda bread. (I sent him the photo) It's the least I can do for the poor overstretched guy. I said, "Would it matter if you all had to camp in the house for a few days? " He said, "The kids would be OK, but J would not." My DDIL rules the house with a hand of iron in a velvet glove. :/ He is so worried that it won't be up to her standards by Friday. At the moment, no drainage in the showers. He was working out tiling on a grid at 10.30 last night. Shower doors going in today.
    I said you could use wet wipes! :o:#

It will all be done soon. I have no idea how he copes with the stress and holds down a top class job. I do worry.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    very windy and cool this morning. Slept in an extra hour beings I knew it was going to be cool and don't have Ezie today. Walked 4 1/2 miles.
    Going out for lunch with dh and his friend who is back in town from China.
    Taco Tuesday so going to try the $1 tacos. Looking forward to trying a few different ones- they have 6 meats to pick from. We were going to pick them up last Tuesday but dh was in too bad of a mood.

May walk with my friend this evening, not sure yet.
    I had planned on the tacos for dinner but beings we are meeting Rob for lunch, doing them now.
    Now to figure out what to make for dinner.
    Maybe warm up the Swiss steak and red potatoes beings I am the only one that ate any of it last night.
    Gave dh a sample and the jerk actually turned his nose up at it. spent hours making it and he did that. Wanted to smack him.
    at least I enjoyed it.
    Got to go- he is impatiently waiting for me
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- still pushing Lucy in stroller- 1hr 55min 8sec, 100elev, 3.10ap, 101ahr, 145mhr, 6.09mi= 602c
    Strava app= 747c
    Zwift home bike trainer- strava stats- 2hrs6min 46sec, 318elev, 102aw, 19amph, gear25 1st 10mi, gear35 next 10mi, gear25 next 10mi, gear40 last 10mi, 103ahr, 141mhr, 40.14mi= 713c
    Strava app= 741c
    Zwift stats- 2hrs 6min 47sec, 320elev, 102aw, 49arpm, 19.02amph, 40.2mi= 741c

Total cal 1315

Only 85.35miles down, knocked out another 40 miles today
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Going to the concert at the Riverfront tonight. My friends band is playing.. tomorrow meeting friends for lunch the ones im cruising with and Friday I'll be meeting friends again.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    pwfq5ke8z4b1.png
    bdcmo3v3up4m.png

We decided to try all the different meats in the tacos- she forgot one which we are fine with-it was the lengua/tongue.
    Three of us eating, $32 for all of it and we came home with more than half. I was full after the second one- the fish and the shrimp are $2 each, the others ( steak, chicken, carnitas, chorizo, pastor, birria are all $1 each.
    We really enjoyed Taco Tuesday(and have leftovers for tonight too plus son can enjoy some hopefully)

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Just excavated some (very old) dried black and adzuki beans from the recesses of the pantry and put some on to soak. Is there any danger in eating old beans? No obvious defects or fuzzy mold . . . ;)

dried beans just take longer to cook the older they are