WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Tracey, love your shirts! Yes I have been to NWT years ago. My Newfoundland trip starts from Cornerbrook and requires flying into Deer Lake Airport which is not that easy from Edmonton so I took the option of starting in Halifax and taking the ferry over to Newfoundland. Was told it may be an overnight ferry trip and if so, we will have sleeping accommodations. Looking forward to seeing whales and puffins. Newfoundland has some stunning scenery and so much history.

Off to Costco this morning so taking a break from my garden.

Overcast....not sure if it's smoky or going to shower. Enjoy the day, ladies.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, I am beyond words happy for you!!!!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Rebecca, wonderful Owain called. <3
    Allie, hope you get answers from the doctor.
    Heather, I love to hear about your relationship with your grands.

The medical appointments for my sister are over until September 9. The immunotherapy she has been taking has caused secondary adrenal Insufficiency and hypothyroidism. The steroids cause her sleep/wake cycles to be totally out of whack. On Sunday she said she feels she is on borrowed time. We talked. I told her that really we all are on borrowed time and just have to make the most of each day. She agreed and she lives that philosophy. She is amazing. My heart is heavy. I hope we have lots more time together.

Betsy in NW WA

Ahh, Betsy, we must have cross-posted. I hope you have lots more time together with your sister, too.

Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    Rebecca- what amazing news- first thing I saw when I opened up MFP this morning.
    I know your heart is so full and stress on that front is gone!!
    Side note- sent a friend request on FB.

Woke up and the cat had peed on my side of the bed so no sleeping in. First load of laundry is going in the dryer now. One more load(one darks and one lights)

No idea what is planned for today. Think I will go over with DH and walk his mom's dog. It is either that or walk here for an hour. Might as well get the dog out of the house and get some exercise. No one else takes him out or if they do it is just a ten min. walk. I walk him at least 45 min and up and down the hills instead of just to the park.
    Dh is still sleeping so I haven't mentioned it to him.
    No other plans that I know of.
    No work, no Zumba, just more decluttering to work on and weeding the garden. Do have to do some cooking to finish up the product testing I am doing. Got it started now.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,926 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 13/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 3/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate sleeping late.

Meditation: daily. 20/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Had bad asthma attack sending me to ER.

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(100%,100%,0%,0%,0%,0%,0%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(100%,100%,100%,100%,100%, 100%.100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 174/208—(100%,100%,100%,50%, 83%, 100%, 100%)should be 154 by September 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)70/94 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (100%,100%,100%,0%,100%,100%,0%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 12/22 (100%,88%,100%,100%,100%,93%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 31/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(100%.100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(100%,100%,100%,100%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet. Will do! Need to de-stress!
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling. I will try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. Did this again last night with a camper.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone. Will have to think about this! Did not do this. :(
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments. Will do!
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else. I did try to accommodate a camper.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible. I am.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today. Sometimes that is hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe not right away but after I thought about the person’s reactions and what could cause it.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity. I will have to think on this. Not planning on going to town today. Did not do this.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention. I will try.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today).
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well.
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.
    \

Thrive Market EFGT code

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,518 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Rebecca- what amazing news- first thing I saw when I opened up MFP this morning.
    I know your heart is so full and stress on that front is gone!!
    Side note- sent a friend request on FB.

Woke up and the cat had peed on my side of the bed so no sleeping in. First load of laundry is going in the dryer now. One more load(one darks and one lights)

No idea what is planned for today. Think I will go over with DH and walk his mom's dog. It is either that or walk here for an hour. Might as well get the dog out of the house and get some exercise. No one else takes him out or if they do it is just a ten min. walk. I walk him at least 45 min and up and down the hills instead of just to the park.
    Dh is still sleeping so I haven't mentioned it to him.
    No other plans that I know of.
    No work, no Zumba, just more decluttering to work on and weeding the garden. Do have to do some cooking to finish up the product testing I am doing. Got it started now.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Thanks friend, by the way I added you on FB.👍💖.
    Yes it is so great he reached out!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,379 Member
    Options
    Worked then counted the donation money at the church. Afterwards, stopped at CVS to get a prescription, now home. Will probably go in the pool in a bit.

Katla – how wonderful that you saw those hummingbirds

Cynthia – DH is dear or d*** (however appropriate) husband

Allison – so glad you got an answer. Now you can start doing something for it

Off to the pool

Michele NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,321 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - DH means Dear Husband. D is dear anything. So DS is dear son. DDIL is dear daughter in law.

All the grandchildren came round for showers. The girls had been swimming in the sea. Max and Edie used DH'S shower on their own, but I helped Bea in mine. Still no hot water at their house. :'( Thankfully, I had not washed their towels.
    Tomorrow afternoon we have Max for a short while before he goes sailing, and Edie for the afternoon. I have told her we will read Little Women together and act the parts. :p
    This morning they all went to the bike track and all got a Personal Best. :D
    In the morning tomorrow I have French Circle at St Anne's Wells Gardens. :D No writing for the day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx, full of Tandoori Chicken !!!
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    well, stayed home- didn't want to be around Mr.PissyPants ;)
    Made coffee for him to take to his mom like I do every few days- Nope, she doesn't like my coffee now. Cut up a melon for her to have with breakfast-Nope, didn't want to take that either, or the home grown cherry tomatoes- he MIGHT take it this afternoon.

Got second load of laundry in the dryer. Two batches of fruit preserves cooked and cooling to use in product test this afternoon(testing food flavorings), Got half a bag of shrimp cooked and cooling so I can clean them. Started out planning for shrimp and fish tacos but remembered we used up the tortillas and didn't pick up more so now it will be pasta with shrimp, using up the last of the pappardelle . White sauce for son and his girlfriend if she comes over, pesto for me. Dh can have either white or red sauce.
    Steamed zucchini, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers with melon for dessert.
    Ice cream for those who wants it.
    NOW, if they don't want to eat when it is ready, they can warm it up when the do want it.Not going to wait for them.

Now to enjoy the quiet and work in the garden a bit before it gets too warm

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    Allie - So glad you got an answer. Having a diagnosis helps so much, and I hope it is mild, too. Hope as well that the meds help with the joint pain. Continuing, unrelenting pain makes your whole world darker.

Vicki - Hope you find some relief from your pain as well. It becomes hard to think at some point, and such a blessing when you finally can see your way through it again!

The furnace has been turned down from 107 to 97 today... may not sound like much, but it does make a difference.

Hope it's a good day for all.

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR

• cyntdooley
    cyntdooley Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked then counted the donation money at the church. Afterwards, stopped at CVS to get a prescription, now home. Will probably go in the pool in a bit.

Katla – how wonderful that you saw those hummingbirds

Cynthia – DH is dear or d*** (however appropriate) husband

Allison – so glad you got an answer. Now you can start doing something for it

Off to the pool

Michele NC

Gotcha. Dear H or W okay. Thanks for the info. Appreciate you.
  • cyntdooley
    cyntdooley Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well ladies im back
    And I have a mild case of lupus ,so now I have an answer..
    She put me on one med that should help with joint pain but will take 6-8 weeks to kick in..
    But at least I have an answer..I just hope it stays mild and doesn't progress..ive been through enough lol.
    Now to do my meds in the good ol pill pod.

Now you have an answer which is good. This is treatable. I have Rheumatoid arthritis. Lupus is similar. Rest is as important as trying to do some type of exercise like walking, small weights, pool therapy is really good.