AUGUST 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @martaindale I hope you enjoy your HM next month. You'll have to remind us when the time gets closer so we can cheer you on.

@Mari33a Welcome home and you did great getting that run in. It's hard after a vacation to get back in the swing of things.

@AlphaHowls I am in LOVE with that picture of the barn. If I had the time, money, and talent, I would spend all of my time traveling around (and running around) taking pictures of old barn and churches.

Great way to break in your new shoes @kgirlhart !

@shanaber Those are cool looking shoes.

Nice running as always @tarun_yadavA !

I'm glad your trip didn't end in a fall @Laurz9191 !

@polskagirl01 You did great and I hope your squash does okay. Your post reminded me that mom gave me a cantaloupe when I was at her house earlier and I don't know what I did with it. Off to find it before it slips my mind again and some critter decides to eat it. :lol:

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Scott6255 . I actually prefer to do speed work on the TM so I can regulate my pace. I have a really hard time doing that outside with all the hills.

Glad you are feeling better @chris_in_cal ! You're doing great.

Thanks @tarun_yadavA !
    Yes I know... Should have gone slower!
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could always do what we know we should?! As long as you take a few days a week easier, you should be okay. We sure don't want you to reinjure yourself.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »
    I want to ask for everyone’s opinion on something. I signed up in the spring for a marathon when I optimistically thought I wouldn’t get sick/injured/busy with kids/work/summer holidays and could train a bunch to be well prepared for the race. Well now I’m a little less than 4 weeks out and haven’t even got a 10 miler in in months. The race wasn’t that expensive to sign up for, so I wouldn’t cry over it if I didn’t run it. Do you think I should still go for it, even though I know that I’m undertrained (obviously then without any grand time goals), or sit it out until I really feel I’ve put in the work? I do have a sprint triathlon this Sunday that I will definitely do and an obstacle course race where I will be running a combined 15km in two weeks. Your thoughts could be helpful in making my decision :).

Is there a cutoff time for this marathon, and if there is do you think you might be able to finish if you walk a bit regularly? Is there an easy way to give up or would you be stuck in the middle of nowhere should things not work out as you'd hoped?

On that last one: I once trained hard for a half, was sure I'd manage but found out seconds after starting that I was sick. Basically, I ran 1km and spent 20km in the sweeper car (a golf cart where everyone could see me. sigh) because there was no other way to get back home. I'd rather not repeat that.

So.. if it's a bigger event would you be able to switch to a half, or a 10k on the same day? At least the chance of getting injured due to being undertrained is less big.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Aug total: 82.5/100 miles

8/1: 5.6 miles
    8/2: 3.3 miles
    8/5: 10 miles
    8/7: 7 miles
    8/10: 6 miles
    8/11: 5.1 miles
    8/12: 9.2 miles
    8/14: 3.1 miles
    8/16: 4.1 miles
    8/17: 4.1 miles
    8/19: 10.2 miles
    8/21: 3.1 miles
    8/22: 5 miles
    8/23: 6.7 miles

Unremarkable morning run. Hit a few sprinklers and the elementary school drop-off traffic. The one thing I miss about summer is the lack of school drop-off traffic.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »
    I decided to work my way up to a long run next week by doing a 10 miler this morning. It went fine, although it did seem harder than when I last ran it in the winter…. We’ll see how my run goes next week.

The event organisers told me I can switch to the half marathon if I want. The marathon is a 2 loop course, just with a different home stretch - the HM loop is run together with the marathon loop with the same start time - so worst case, I can bail after 1 loop.

I’m guessing I will need between 4hr:30 (optimistic guess) and 4hr:45 (realistic guess) to finish, which is a loooooong time running. I will definitely need lots of snacks ;). @yirara I think I can definitely make the cutoff time. If not, it’s in a nearby city (Kassel) that I know the pretty well, so I think I could always bail and find my way to the train station if need be.

I think I need to see how my body and mind can handle a really long run next week to decide for sure.

So far for August I have 78.7/160km.

Wishing you lots of luck, and a wonderful run! Not saying where I live, but this race isn't too far from where I am! So fingers crossed for you <3<3<3
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,993 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice my typo in time to edit my post. The temperature at the end of my run was 79°F, not70°F. It was slightly cooler than the 81°F at the beginning of the run, but not much.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,235 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I did see a deer near the park and a skunk. The skunk was across the street from my house when I got home. Luckily he didn't seem to notice me and my dogs were in the house.

After the hurricane blew through a surfeit of skunks seem to have taken residence behind my house. There were several large freshly dug holes smack in the middle of my yard. Since I moved here, I've heard about them from the neighbors, I've smelled them when the windows are open at night, now I have evidence there are 10 metres away from my bedroom, just camping out. Yet, I've never seen one.

I imagine I'll come bopping out in a hurry one night, meet one of the little buggers, who'll promptly turn and spray.