WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,091 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    I use to be easy going, happy, and adventurous. These days I just feel like I am bitchy, sad, and scared all the time. I always feel behind the eight ball. I have a wonderful if difficult husband. I raised two daughters and have great grandkids. I have a beautiful home, great friends, a job I usually love, and no money worries. I am thankful for those things, but still feel overwhelmed lots. 😪 Noise seems to be an issue. It feels constant. I do miss my DH being gone for several weekends a year. I wish his friends would step up to the playe and take him away sometimes....I don't wish him totally gone, just an occasional weekend away.
    Love you!
    Welcomes!
    Healthy vibes!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio trying to find her happy self again.

Where are you in your menopause journey?

Also, when was the last time you felt that you had some time of your own, where you could do whatever you wanted to do?

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lisa! I tend to get quiet and disappear when I feel whiny. 🙃
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka- no idea. Hysterectomy at 28. Hormones since late 40s. Everytime I go off them I get debilitating migraines. Had/have endometriosis and cysts. Assuming at 601/2 yo, that I would be done with that nonsense, but estradiol may be keeping me there. Just can't handle worse migraines. Actually, yes, I feel like I did when I was 11 and had no clue what my body was doing. Migraines, cramps, D, witchy to the max

You might want to see a gynaecologist.

I can't take hormones, and I'm glad I don't!

But I'm on a serotonin-based anti-depressant which keeps me relatively calm compared to my 52-year old/12-year old hormonal self, and reduces my hot flashes which I still have about 3 years since things wrapped up, but less frequently. My gynaecologic-oncologist put me onto them.

Maybe have a chat to a gynaecologist about other options for you. There might be something else that's better.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    edited August 2023
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Debbie: My son loves Korean BBQ. He would enjoy the ribs you are cooking!

Kim: Sorry to hear about Levi's SARDS. I do hope he adjusts.

Michele: Glad you are enjoying the pool!

PIPCD34: What made these shoes $160. Are they Italian leather or boots?

Barbara: How is your Goddaughter and her family doing?

Annie: I am sorry your Dad is such a concern. He seems like a nice man!

Katla: Great you have the hummingbirds!

Lisa: So glad your visit with John and Soraya is going well

Terry: I hope your group meeting goes well!

Kate: Enjoy your word play Zoom group!

Heather: Congrats on your run!

Machka: Admire your energy pulling up the rock and weeds. I will do this in September when the weather is cooler.

Ginny: Blue or purple glass frames sounds fun!

Margaret Turk: Great on getting a couple of bags to the Good Will

Allie: I love the pictures of the cruise! So good to see Miles starting to have friends!

Carol: Happy Anniversary! I love the picture!

Cindy: I hope you don't get the storm! I think I will miss it in GA and just have rain.

Well yesterday was my 6 month anniversary as a widow. I do cry but am pretty active and over all I believe it has gone okay. I think volunteering at the cat rescue helps because it breaks up the week. However the cat rescue is very warm and if the weather doesn't break soon I will have to cut back some of what I do when I go there. I am sometimes close to heat exhaustion there.

I was short of breath yesterday. I don't think it was from being a widow. I think it was because my son texted me at midnight that he wished he didn't live in GA and then of course refused to text any further. I think it is the heat. He has 3 dogs and must go out with them in the heat and is living in Atlanta and the concrete and cement must make the heat unbearable. Anyway I think his not being happy gave me a small anxiety attack.

I am glad Fall is coming. The local college has free music concerts that I will attend. The painters are here today to take the popcorn ceiling off my kitchen and prime and paint the ceiling. This will be a big morale booster. The steam from the stove has caused the ceiling to peel away and fall in pieces. This should be a big improvement!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

Good walking shoes are not cheap. We go to a store called fleet feet. They specialize only in tennis for runners and walkers. They ask all kinds of questions to see where you are walking, I.e. gravel, dirt sidewalk, look at your gate, etc to determine the best shoes for you. We don’t go to target or Walmart for our kinds of shoes

Agreed! My favourite and most comfortable shoes are my Hoka trail running shoes which were about $225 or so. I'd happily get another pair when these start to wear out.

My running shoe place has a treadmill and they take a video of the person walking and running, then also walking on the floor. I've go arthritis in my feet so that was taken into consideration too.

The shoes I wear for work aren't expensive or particularly good quality, but the shoes I wear for running (and cycling) are.

M in Oz
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

Flea- Wow! After hearing no information on the mystery of Fern Spencer from Belding Museum or the community pages; I woke to a message from my brother this morning, asking if I had posted in the community forum about a Fern Spencer. I replied that I had and had gotten no new info. lol BOY! Did he have some info! Fern's full name is Cynthia Fern Spencer. Her father is Willis Spencer and mother Sabra; both originally from Canada, then NY state. Fern was a teacher and married Lloyd Failing in 1905. Remarried Archie Day. Fern died in 1978 Yakima County, WA state. My brother also found census papers and other bits of information if you would like them. He said he could easily write up a brief synopsis for you. (He writes historical pieces for papers in Michigan.

Let me know if you would like more info! KJ

That's fantastic, KJ! Thank you and your brother. A write up would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,321 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    This afternoon I attempted to paint the view from our living room out into the dining room. I had an idea of doing it in a slightly naive style, like Duncan Grant. I've got half of it done, and it looks nothing like what I intended (!) , but I will plough on with it another day. The French doors between the two rooms make it very complicated!
    I'm also in the process of sorting out art supplies into sensible boxes. :o Making some progress.

I've just had a delivery of some plastic trays for sorting out kitchen stuff. I hope they will be useful.

This morning, after writing, I plucked up the courage to attempt to frame the painting i did for my son. I've got to add a bit of extra paper on the top and bottom and I failed to work out how to do that. I might get him to help me. Or, tomorrow I might just go for it! :D At least I've got the frame out of the box and taken the back off.

Frittata tonight, with asparagus and mushrooms this time. Peas, broad beans. Feta. We have Frittata often, but always love it, especially as there's always leftovers for lunch the next day.

Love to those who are struggling. <3 In my experience, we always know the answer deep down, but few of us will listen to ourselves. I certainly didn't for years. Sending hugs.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,926 Member
    Options
    Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 1/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 3/20

2023- Altruistic August

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate people with common sense.

Meditation: daily. 24/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%)

Walking and exercising slowed down because of record heat this month. Had bad asthma attack sending me to ER. Blood pressure very high making me tired.

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 7/8–(300%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5418,4157,6745,7029 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 3/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 175/208—(733%) should be 172 by October 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 18/22 (681%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 31/12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 8/12—(800%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (800%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,(500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to be kind to others (and yourself) this month. I plan to be kind to people I meet and to myself. Not just this month but all the time. It may not be every time, but I will try.
    2. Send an uplifting message to someone you can’t be with. I will text my best friend who lives in Michigan, and my friend that lives in NY. Did this
    3. Be kind and supportive to everyone you interact with. I did this!
    4. Ask someone how they feel and really listen to their reply. I plan to try to remember to do this. Done!
    5. Spend time wishing for other people to be happy and well. Will meditate and do this through a loving-kindness meditation.
    6. Smile and be friendly to the people you see today. Will do!
    7. Give time to help a project or cause you care about. I volunteer at Bottomless Lakes State park and also belong to the ‘Friends of’ group and am on the board as secretary. Does this count?
    8. Make some tasty food for someone who will appreciate it. My DH does all the cooking. Perhaps i will look for something KETO to cook. Otherwise, we give food to our co-host often.
    9. Thank someone you’re grateful to and tell them why. I will!
    10. Check in with someone who may be lonely or feeling anxious. Checked in with my son.
    11. Share an encouraging news story to inspire others. Did this at ER when the diagnosis was given.
    12. Contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them. Did this yesterday and will do again today.
    13. No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. I need the rest!
    14. Take an actions to be kind to nature and care for our planet. Will do! Need to de-stress!
    15. If someone annoys you, be kind. Imagine how they may be feeling. I will try to put myself in the other person’s shoes. Did this again last night with a camper.
    16. Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone. Will have to think about this! Did not do this. :(
    17. Be kind online. Share positive and supportive comments. Will do!
    18. Today, do something to make life easier for someone else. I did try to accommodate a camper.
    19. Be thankful for your food and the people who make it possible. I am.
    20. Look for the good in everyone you meet today. Sometimes that is hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe not right away but after I thought about the person’s reactions and what could cause it.
    21. Donate unused items, clothes, or food to help a local charity. I will have to think on this. Not planning on going to town today. Did not do this.
    22. Give people the gift of your full attention. I will try.
    23. Share an article, book, or podcast you find helpful. I do when I find something useful.
    24. Forgive someone who hurt you in the past. This one is hard. I will try to forgive my father.
    25. Give your time, energy, or attention to someone in need. Easy! I did that yesterday giving someone a campsite who didn’t know how to use the electronic means to reserve a site.
    26. Find a way to ‘pay it forward’ or support a good cause. I subscribed to a foundation newsletter.
    27. Notice when someone is down and try to brighten his day. (My DH’s birthday. He always gets depressed on this day. Worse this year as he turns 70 today). I’m going to try to brighten DH’s day.
    28. Have a friendly chat with someone you don’t know very well. I do this all the time with campers!
    29. Do something kind to help in your local community.
    30. Give away something to those who don’t have as much as you.
    31. Share Action for Happiness with other people today.

RVRita in Roswell, NM

The best predictor of the future or future behavior is the past. If until this point the relationships, hobby, friendship, job, etc. has not served you in any positive regard, it likely won't in the future.
    — YALDA SAFAI, MD, MPH
    A Word From Verywell
    Sunk cost fallacy can be tricky to wrap your head around, and it’s not without nuance. For more clarity in these complex decision-making moments, completely disregard how much you’ve already invested so that it doesn’t hold influence. Then, look at the facts.

Are you satisfied? Have you repeatedly been met with dead ends? Is there still potential for a positive outcome if you continue investing your resources and energy? What are the benefits of walking away and opening a new door? These are the factors that should influence your decision rather than any previously sunk costs.

“What can words do to me unless I take them to heart?”

RVRita in Roswell, NM
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,379 Member
    Options
    Kim – I’m so sorry for Levi. I get your feeling. Lexi was totally deaf and then developed dementia. It was so hard watching the dementia take everything away from her.’

Deb – yup, that’s the recipe that takes just the box of angel food cake mix and can of pineapple. I love it too. Angel food cake can be so “bland”. The pineapple gives it a kind of kick. Yup, the af cake mix is hard to find (not sure why) and expensive compared to the other cakes. I can’t get it at WalMart, just Food Lion. Well, maybe Publix or Lowe’s Foods but I really haven’t even looked. And it seems that the af cake mix is never on sale.

Lanette – we use Tidy Cats clumping litter in the 35lb containers. We do have Chewy deliver it because it’s just so heavy, they just put it in our garage and we just have to carry it into the house

Monday here: nothing exciting, just plain old work. The other day we went practice bowling and Vince found that he would bowl but he wanted a lighter ball. So he ordered a 12lb ball (that’s what I use) and he’s going to go to have the holes drilled. I’m going for the important stuff – socializing.

Kylia – happy anniversary and happy birthday to your daughter. Where are you going on vacation? You know, sometimes it really helps just to get things off your chest. Come here, we exercise so we have wide shoulders for you to lean on.

They did ask me to work this Wed.

daria – welcome

Rita – thank god you were there for that drowning victim! Congrats on the loss

Barbara – so glad everyone is well and safe. What good news!

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,307 Member
    Options

KJ: How intriguing. She sounds like an interesting character.
    Julia: Vent as much as you want to. We have broad shoulders, and sympathetic ears. 😂
    Machka: Love your hair. You both look very posh.