AUGUST 2023 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Also, is there a CT from Tasmania here? We got a request to join our Strava group.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,805 Member
    Options
    Tasmania?!!! Cool. I need to look for our Strava group. I have just been individually adding folks but maybe the group would be good too.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone! 😊
    Got in a 10K (09"22).

Going for a streak here... So easing up on pace (and distance too - today not counting lol). Not quite @Alphahowls , no... But seeing how far I can go. Ran last 5 days of July, and so far done all 22 in August. Think the most I've ever done before is 40.

Anyways... @Laurz9191 , while @polskagirl01 is right - I did get a bit fortunate... I totally think you can do this!
    Run the 17-20M on Monday; carb load Monday night (pizza? lol)... take Tuesday off... See how you feel Wednesday after a recovery run and then make the judgement call then! You would have enough time to follow a taper plan should you choose to go through with it!

I've seen your progress on Strava over the last few months... You're progressively doing more and you're doing it quicker too. Not too mention the sub-2 Half... You totally got this!! 💪

Playing the highlights reel back on mine (God feels so long ago now!)... I remember running 20M at the beginning of December with my marathon buddy in under 3hrs at 08"55 ish pace. He was the one that was all, 'you can totally do this'. Didn't think much on it. Proceeded to enjoy Christmas... Drinks 🍺... Eating cr-p... the works. Only in Jan, I said right - I'm doing it. And I think the turnaround was 5 weeks.
    Then I remembered I was really sick too at the start of January. Covid? Never tested for it... But Covid like symptoms... And I remember after a day or so of fever, I just had this mucus that wouldn't go for like a week. So really I'm gonna say it was probably a shade under 4 weeks too.

Then I did my 'big run' (which... Ended up being 26.2 distance... and you all said I was stupid for doing it lol), and then tapered for 3 weeks.

Not a plan for everyone to follow, I accept... But totally doable.

I'm very late to this discussion but for posterity and future readers, can I just point out that @tarun_yadavA ended up injured not all that long after the marathon antics and there is a possibility there's a link there? Not trying to be bitchy, just pointing out a possible link before I read further on the thread.
    122 posts in a week!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Yesterday, I did a 30-minute strength workout before I ran 5 miles. After I got back home I showered and loaded up my bike and camping gear and headed to a state park a couple of hours away. It has a 57 mile rails-to-trail which is great for biking, running, walking etc. I stayed at a primitive campground located around the 24 mile mark which gave me the option to ride either way. Yesterday I headed north, stopped for lunch in a small town, and then pedaled back for a total of 40 miles. After I set up camp, I waded into the river for a few minutes to cool off. There was a storm that rolled through around 6:30 so that made it a short evening. Before I left this morning, I headed south on the trail and got in 21 biking miles before packing everything up and heading home.

This is about the most awesome MFP post I've ever read. I have a new role model. That's a dream weekend right there.

I completely agree. Great adventure!

Me too, jealous!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,104 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins nah... Marathon was mid-Feb (with a 26.2 'Big run' before that, in Jan)... injury wasn't till I got back from Florida and Caribbean mid-April... And my orthotic insole had completely worn out and lost a few degrees of its uplift. Which is probably why.
    Doubt very much it had anything to do with the Marathon.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    You're doing great after your unhealthy weekend @tarun_yadavA !

Great running @TheMrWobbly !

Glad it is a little bit cooler for you @Scott6255 ! October will be here before we know it.