WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Debi and would love to join your discussion. I have only just started back on MFP after a long break & looking for some accountability, I am 56 years young, Scottish and living in London England

Hi Debi,

I'm also 56.

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,610 Member
    Options
    Good Monday and I can't believe it is October!

Barbie Thank you again for our fresh start.

I got my big parts order completed and submitted yesterday. I am as close to goal as I could get comfortably. It isn't due until today, so yeah for me! I get to relax tonight instead of stressing. Not much movement yesterday, but feel relief that the order is done. I also managed to pay a few bills, deposit a couple of checks, and catch up DH's check registers. Now to clean up my paper mess. Then get trainings done.

Lots of weddings this past weekend! Ladies, you all look beautiful! Tracey, love the cake.

Going out or to stores......I try to always look presentable.
    But as much as I love makeup, I can't seem to get the hang of this maturing skin. I haven't found a makeup I like. I want something light and natural. Makeup, therefore, has been relegated to weddings and those types of occasions.

Welcome to the new ladies! Each day is a chance to make better choices.

Happy Birthday Heather!

Joy, sorry the bear got your carrots.

I am thankful that even though my eating feels out of control, it has been healthy foods that I am hungry for. In the past it would have been chocolate or cookies. So that is a win. Protein seems to be what I am hungry for.

Family communications....I suck at it. I am just tired at end of day and don't feel like reaching out. Everyone just seems to be in the same boat. May need to work on this....

Three things to look forward to this month....
    1. Going to a play with oldest daughter
    2. A retirement/birthday party for a friend
    3. The leaves changing color

Try to be optimistic about something....work will get smoother with a few changes.

Better get off here.
    Hugs!
    Encouragement!

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio hoping to enjoy the warmth of the next few days

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Lunch walk today ... one of our warmest days in a while.

s0zbqixh4wgv.png

Machka in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Margaret I enjoyed your singing. Thanks for letting us know we could listen to you on the Facebook site. Your voice is a gift and you looked like you were enjoying singing.

Betsy in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    Heather Happy belated birthday :flowerforyou:

Busy day yesterday. After singing in church. Brother called in the morning and said they were driving through St. Paul. I did not expect them until Tuesday or Wednesday. They didn't realize how crowded the North Shore gets this time of year on a weekend. They got caught in a horrible traffic jam so did not get to our son's house until 5 p.m.(less driving for them to meet there) and they left at 6 p.m. This is the way with this brother I am a stop on the way to somewhere else for him.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,221 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Tracey - great cake decorating! Possible income generator?

Kim - Great outfit. You look very celebratory. :D

As always in weddings, there were long stretches with not much to do and the dinner was late because of a cake disaster. It fell over! In the end we had a disappointingly small helping of poor vegan pizza, and some salad bits. Most people were not happy about it, but in the end you can laugh about it. The bride announced at the end of the quiz that she was expecting a baby in May. :p:p<3
    It turned out it wasn't a wedding at all. They had got officially married on Wednesday and this was a cousin officiating for fun only. It certainly seemed like the real thing.
    They had an owl flying with the rings
    But the pink Cadillac for the groom never turned up, double booked!
    Anyway, I'm glad we made the effort, even though it was a very long day. My son stopped on the way home to buy snacks as he was starving!!! :p

My brother loved the picture I painted of the beach huts!
    hpq516zziq31.jpg
    My son with the owl.
    91ecwoi9et9m.jpg
    Family photo. The groom has gorgeous hair.
    sto22r4xg9o7.jpg
    Not 100% sure about my DSIL'S outfit!
    4b7zuockzkbl.jpg
    I had a long video call with DH'S sister this morning, then a long phone call with L who has just got back from Ireland.
    Then delicious blinis, sour cream and faux caviar for lunch. DH has already started cooking the Moussaka.
    Cleaner this afternoon and my son is visiting at 5.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Heather I loved her outfit. It coordinates with the flowers of the bride and the groom's mother has a floral dress. DH's sister has her own style and owns it. Love the coordinating sliders (that is what we call those hair pieces here according to the presentation on the history of hats I just went to) that match their outfits. The shawl looks good with the groom's mother outfit. I realize it is not a look everyone will endorse but I see why they wore them for an outdoor wedding.

So caught up in the wedding photos forgot to mention adore the picture of your son with the owl. What a (fun) change that to a memorable wedding!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,556 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Margaret - It is my brother's second wife. The mother of the bride. A brave choice, but very much her personality. My brother has four children by his first wife and two by his second. He has ten grandchildren, soon to be another, and there will be four great grandchildren!

It was DH'S sister I had a video call with this morning. She sent me an Amazon etoken. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Happy Monday, my peeps, whether before, during or after...

Welcome @flowerhouse Debi in London! Sorry I missed you on my first run at picking up those who are new. We're glad you're here, please feel free to drop into any conversation that interests you, to ask for advice or give it. It's a fast-moving bunch, very chatty, and always pleased to see new folks who need or want to give or get support in living a healthy lifestyle, physically, mentally and socially.

Heather - Love the wedding pics, all of them. You look particularly happy with your brother.

My usual goals for September were never posted, which is just as well, since I would have bombed two out of three! Time to get back on track for October:
    1. Get back to my preferred maintenance range: I'm at 153, two pounds heavier than the first of September, and I want to get back down into the range of 145-149.
    2. Continue getting healthier: This is the only thing I did right in September! Started with rowing 10 minutes on September 4, and I'm now up to rowing 25 minutes one or two days a week, 30 minutes on the elliptical one or two days a week, and resistance work two days a week. Also moved to eating only in a restricted window of one hour at noon and two hours for my evening meal. While it's nobody's idea of "real" intermittent fasting, my system seems to be reacting to it quite well. When I'm able to restrict the grazing habit, the days beyond that see fewer all-day-long visits to the bathroom. Want to continue that through October and walk in to see the gastroenterologist in November with good news for a change. :smiley:
    3. Stick to the budget: Between new tires for my car, my unexpected sign-up for a pottery class, and replacing the 7-year-old vacuum sealer that I busted yesterday in the middle of getting a bunch of food in the freezer, I basically blew the budget right out of the water in September. Usually, it takes both of us to blow the budget that badly! Time to get on track... :smiley:

When I sign off here, I'll be running to town to pick up a bit of cash and snag some Powerball lottery tickets. And yes, it does come under the budget for "entertainment!" :smiley:

For whatever reason, a billion-dollar prize amount seems to be the trigger for both of us. Corey's "good morning" call included the "why don't you pick up some tickets for tonight's drawing" request from him. :wink: Always fun to dream of what we'd do with it... Y'all would probably be the first ones I'd tell, as telling family would be a big mistake. >:):smiley:

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    I have seen so many videos where the owl went haywire and ended up in someone's hair. This one was very well behaved and performed perfectly.
    One of the best bits was my brother's last son, around 21, who did a boogy dance as a flower boy. Excellent!

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,709 Member
    Options
    Heather looks like a very fun wedding.. even though you only had a few nibbles.Last night/this morning sheesh I didn't get to sleep until about 4 this morning and slept maybe 4 hrs..
    I feel soooo tired..I did go get Homer out that cute little boy,now im back home..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,855 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate this MFP thread!
    Meditation: daily. 1/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,6805,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 0/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)73/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 1/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good.
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today.
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.]/spoiler]
    RVRita , Roswell, NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,855 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Rita - The challenge now is to not look at FB or Messenger until November 1 by then all the complaining will be funny as it will be a month old. And I bet not a one of them will complain via email or phone.

Good Luck!!!
    Kim in N. CA

I doubt any of them will contact me either! I bet there will be a lot of ‘speculation’ about why I did that! LOL. I’m going to try to avoid both completely!

RVRita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Margaret I enjoyed your singing. Thanks for letting us know we could listen to you on the Facebook site. Your voice is a gift and you looked like you were enjoying singing.

Betsy in NW WA

Which Facebook site, there are 4+ listed of groups you can join that are The Grove of Ashbury?
    I would love to hear her sing.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa