Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I have found if you keep things "at the ready" you are more apt to use them. Just a visual reminder. Now most of us have our coffee makers out on the counter 24/7. Can you imagine the thought of getting out a coffee maker every morning to use it? I shutter at the thought!😆 I have my rice cooker out these days. Its got a steamer basket so that's nice. There's a comedian that talks about never having to worry about not seeing around an Asian kitchen at night. There's always that red glow from their rice cooker going🤗! I like that thought though I don't cook rice at night.🙄😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I don't leave the rice cooker on at night(unless by chance I forgot to unplug it-I don't eat much rice but it is a must for dh, even though, as a diabetic, it shouldn't be)
    BUT, there are so many "little red glow lights" around the house that I never turn lights on at night. Red lights from electronics, fairy lights in both bathrooms, outdoor flood light in the front yard that lights up the kitchen. Last time I counted around12-14 different little "red lights" just in the bedroom alone. That doesn't help with me sleeping- need to pull the eye mask out again.

Debbie

We've got the lights from our clocks, but those are the only little red lights in the bedroom.

And I have trouble sleeping without my mask now.

M in Oz

I have used my masks but the ones I have tried I am not comfortable in- I don't like the feeling of the pressure on them- I usually loosen the strap so it is barely on.
    Son and dh both have no trouble sleeping with the lights on- son says he doesn't sleep as sound so he can hear his alarm in the morning(otherwise, he sleeps right through the alarm)
    Dh usually falls asleep with the lights on, tv on w/the volumn up louder than I would want it when I was actually awake and watching it. Many nights I am looking around for the remote, usually under him.
    I don't like the fairy lights on in the master bathroom but have gotten used to them and the big thing is that it helps so dh doesn't turn the light/fan(one switch) on during the night to use the bathroom. That is the worst- light is bright, fan is loud, even though the box said it is quiet(quieter than the old one but not as quiet as I want it). I used to close the door but now have to keep it open for the cats-one litter box is now in there.

What if you just had a night light in the bathroom, for husband to see his way to the bathroom?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote:
    Machka9 wrote: »

Oh, there are a lot more, just the others I don't see lights on during the night- the room is full of all kinds of electronics. DH thinks he needs all that stuff in there and his room too. I don't even know what some of them are. He even has a projector and big screen(battery operated that comes down and covers almost the whole closet door. He used it when he first got it to watch movies but rarely uses it anymore. There is one from the cat's fountain and the mini bug catcher that are both on my side of the room(bug catcher is on the floor- don't mind it beings I haven't gotten bitten by mosquitos since he put it there and catches any fleas that might be there).

Do you have another room, even a very small room, in which a single bed would fit ... where you can go to sleep in peace?

M in Oz

no, but I can, and have slept on the couch in the living room. Maybe one day I will get my sewing room cleaned out all the way and I can put something in there(don't think I will). Too much craft stuff in there.

Sleep is a very high priority for me ... above exercise and eating!

I would go to great lengths to make sure I have a quiet sleeping place to retire to each night.

My husband and I have a sleeping pod. We separated our king-sized bed into two twin beds, and moved them so that our heads are in opposite corners.

We each have a night table, there's my sock shelf and there's a very small, but tall chest of drawers for odds and ends ... nothing either of us need to access while the other one is sleeping.

The room is dark because the light blocking curtains are always closed.

It's a small room - only for sleeping and reading.

The room next to the sleeping pod is our dressing room. It holds all the wardrobes, dressers, etc.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Walking yesterday ...

rrnmb4bunl7n.png

Cycling today ...

og5x8ooemagu.png

Accidentally used something on my face the other day with essential oils in it, or possibly just one essential oil, but that's all it takes. A few years ago, I discovered I was allergic to essential oils so I've avoided them, but occasionally someone sneaks them into something.

Now suffering from an allergic reaction.

I need to get ahold of topical corticosteroids / hydrocortisone cream.

https://www.healthline.com/health/essential-oil-allergic-reaction

What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to essential oils?

A couple are:

Contact dermatitis
    "Contact dermatitis is an itchy, red rash that develops when certain substances touch your skin directly.

There are two types: irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis.

In addition to itchy, red rash, both types of contact dermatitis share other symptoms:
    - dry, cracked, or scaly skin
    - oozing blisters or bumps
    - burning and stinging sensation

Allergic contact dermatitis is the most common allergic reaction to essential oils."

"It’s a delayed hypersensitivity reaction, which means that you might not notice symptoms until 12 to 72 hours after exposure."

Hives
    "Hives (urticaria) have many possible triggers, including food, medication, insect stings, infections, and more. They can appear on any part of your body and are characterized by:

- raised red bumps (welts) that often itch
    - welts that can vary in size and often repeatedly appear and fade"

Machka in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    Vicki Safe travels!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    😘
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Real quick to Annie- Home smoke detectors have a "shelf life" of 10 years. If it is a smoke/CO detector, they only last 5-7 years. It is not about the battery, the actual components inside of them break down. So...Google that and show dad. Time to replace them! Check with your local fire dept. Many of them have smoke detectors that they give away for free! xoxoxo KJ
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate air conditioners and heaters, both necessary in the fall.
    Meditation: daily. 5/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 60 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/3 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)73/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 3/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Morning, ladies.

We replaced our smoke alarms a couple of years ago and for some unknown reason, DH put the old ones in the back of a kitchen cupboard instead of taking them to our local dump for disposal. Went to bed last night and about an hour later we hear the alarm going off and it's one that says words also....very loudly....evacuate, evacuate. Took a few minutes to figure out where the sound was coming from. We knew there was no fire and finally found the unit in the kitchen cupboard. Took a bit to figure out how to turn the thing off then DH set it outside. We will take it on our next dump run. Took awhile to get back to sleep.

Costco has shipped my Ninja and says should be here by the end of the day but I doubt it as I checked and it's coming from Calgary. My DD has a Ninja air fryer and loves it. I bought a couple of non stick fry pans from Ninja a couple of years ago and love them. Very well built and used quite often. Nothing sticks and so far nothing flaking off from the non stick surface.

Nothing planned for the day. Windy, cool and overcast here. Enjoying my second cup of coffee as I read through the thread.

Joy
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Morning, ladies.

We replaced our smoke alarms a couple of years ago and for some unknown reason, DH put the old ones in the back of a kitchen cupboard instead of taking them to our local dump for disposal. Went to bed last night and about an hour later we hear the alarm going off and it's one that says words also....very loudly....evacuate, evacuate. Took a few minutes to figure out where the sound was coming from. We knew there was no fire and finally found the unit in the kitchen cupboard. Took a bit to figure out how to turn the thing off then DH set it outside. We will take it on our next dump run. Took awhile to get back to sleep.

Costco has shipped my Ninja and says should be here by the end of the day but I doubt it as I checked and it's coming from Calgary. My DD has a Ninja air fryer and loves it. I bought a couple of non stick fry pans from Ninja a couple of years ago and love them. Very well built and used quite often. Nothing sticks and so far nothing flaking off from the non stick surface.

Nothing planned for the day. Windy, cool and overcast here. Enjoying my second cup of coffee as I read through the thread.

Joy