WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I think ive finally found a way to get a decent nights sleep
    1 gummy 5 mg melatonin, 1 calming magnesium gummy and of course my nighttime meds.
    Alfie and I snuggled under the covers watching the Today show with a cup of tea..and will then go get Homer out..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,908 Member
    Options
    :) Jake's daughter changed her plans because of foggy weather and cancelled flights and decided to drive up instead of fly, Jake is understandably concerned as only a father can be. She is staying in a motel about 200 miles south of us so who knows when she'll get here. Fortunately, she is our only plan so whenever she gets here will be fine. It's the clash of the independent woman and the helicopter dad. I'm glad to be only a spectator.

:)Kim, We lived in Eureka at the time of the earthquake and were at my mom's house watching the World Series when the it happened. I was most affected because of my experience driving on those highways that went down. I had to drive down there monthly for the next few years and saw the devastation and the repair.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    x813xebk3y1s.jpg
    Miles at daycare she has chickens
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I keep forgetting to say "thank you" for asking how I'm doing. Today is the second day in a row I've woken up without pain... and I'm so grateful for that. I think I may have been just pushing too hard on exercise, etc., of late. Finding that balance between movement and overdoing is so hard! I'm still not healed--but I keep reminding myself that it doesn't happen quickly when you've been in as bad a shape as I was for so long. I'm still healing, and there are subtle signs all the time, but the pain-filled days are a signal, I think, that I need more time to heal. *sigh* I may have said, I am NOT a patient person.

Regarding the clay piece, thank you for the compliment! Yes, the polymer clay colors stay true after firing because they're not actually clay. The bake process simply polymerizes the chemicals within it to finish the substance's journey to true vinyl. Same plastic that vinyl records are made of, actually. Had I not laid it over glass, it would also be a little bendy. I just pulled it out of the cool oven, and it feels smooth and dry to the touch, whereas before it was baked, it felt just slightly sticky - not wet exactly, just a little grabby to the hand. I'm having fun with it.

So, whew! I didn't over or underbake it, as near as I can tell, now it's just a matter of either finding a gloss or buying a spray gloss to seal it. Still thinking about whether I want to leave it matte or make it shine.

Later!
    Love,
    Lisa

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,839 Member
    Options
    2023 Optimistic October

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate my bed, especially when sick.
    Meditation: daily. 16/31 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 16/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

Foods to avoid:
    Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%). 60 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 7819, 7203, 7906,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 215/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)74/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 12/23 (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 42/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 10/12—(1000%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (1000%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0
    500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

Write down three things you can look forward to this month. 1. Another month of sobriety 2. Cooler weather 3. Decorating for Halloween
    2. Find something to be optimistic about (even if it’s a difficult time). I am optimistic about cooler weather.
    3. Take a small step to a goal that really matters to you. I need to call my uncle.
    4. Start the day with the most important thing on your to-do-list. Updating this list and My Fitness Pal.
    5. Be a realistic optimist. See life as it is but focus on what’s good. I usually hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I think this counts!
    6. Remind yourself that things can change for the better. No matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. So enjoy life no matter where you are, or what you are doing, or your circumstances.
    7. Look for the good in people around you today. I can do this if I try. This was not difficult to do with visitors. Employees were a different matter!
    8. Make some progress on a project or task you’ve been avoiding. I need to clean the cabinets out. I am planning to start today. Didn’t happen.
    9. Share an important goal with someone you trust. did not do this.
    10. Take time to reflect on what you have accomplished recently. I have accomplished coloring pages, making doctor appointments, calming my nerves by taking some actions I never tried before, and more.
    11. Avoid blaming yourself or others. Find a helpful way forward. This is hard for me.
    12. Look out for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today. With everything going on around me and in me this will be hard, but I will pay attention to good news.
    13. Ask for help to overcome an obstacle you are facing. The obstacles I have cannot be solved by me, but by family members.
    14. Do something constructive to improve a difficult situation. I will have to think on this. I posted pictures of the eclipse that happened here on the Friends Group FB page, and sent some pics to my son and grandson.
    15. Thank yourself for achieving the things you often take for granted. I got up in a thankful mood today so I should be able to do this. The eclipse yesterday couldn’t have gone better.
    16. Put down your to-list and do something fun or uplifting. I will color, walk, and meditate-all things that are fun and uplifting to me.
    17. Take a small step toward a positive change you want to see in society. Teaching adults computer use provides a positive change in my community.
    18. Set hopeful, but realistic goals for the days ahead. My biggest hope for the near future is a holiday without depression and ‘drama’ caused by my family.
    19. Identify one of your positive qualities that will be helpful in the future. I think my tenacity will always be helpful to me and others.
    20. Find joy in tackling a task you’ve put off for some time.
    21. Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters to you.
    22. Share a hopeful quote, picture, or video with a friend or colleague
    23. Recognize that you have a choice of what to prioritize.
    24. Write down three specific things that have gone well recently.
    25. You can’t do everything! What are three priorities right now?
    26. Find a new prospective on a problem you face.
    27. Be kind to yourself today. Remember progress takes time.
    28. Ask yourself ‘will this still matter a year from now?’
    29. Plan a fun or exciting activity to look forward to.
    30. Identify three things that give you hope for the future.
    31. Set a goal that brings a sense of purpose for the coming month.

RVRita , Roswell, NM

“There is no need for me to accept blame for another person’s irrational actions. I will deal with my own shortcomings.” ALANON’s One Day at a Time.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,839 Member
    Options
    I have the local ‘crud’ that is going around. DH had it last week. My turn now. Tested for CoVid but negative, so just have to wait it out. Staying in bed today. Feel yucky, coughing and stuffed up.

Some of you may remember I used to post each day what the is for, such as “Make a pie day” etc. I found the app again, although quite different, but today’s seems apt for many of us. So here goes:
    0t7etv44dt50.png

RVRita;
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Walk Score- Grand Haven, Mi (my town) has a walking score of 89. We have a cycling score of 76. I suppose you could walk to get all of your errands done if you live within the city limits. We have nice walkways, bike paths, trails, parks, etc. I live about three miles outside of the city limits (in the township) and we even have nice bike paths out here. They are maintained by a whole cleaning crew/machines, year round.

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Nice!

• Machka9
    Options
    I am the wolf!

vl5nysc51d1b.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Temperature and Sleep

My husband and I attended a presentation by our neuropsychologist on brain injury related fatigue and sleep.

It was a really good presentation with lots of great information, but one thing she mentioned is that to improve the ability to fall asleep, it's good to work with our bodies and cool down before bed.

So, having a hot shower or bath before bed is good ... but only if it is done about 1.5 hours before bed to allow the body to cool down in preparation for bed.

That was something I hadn't heard before so I looked it up and found this:

Best Temperature for Sleep
    https://www.sleepfoundation.org/bedroom-environment/best-temperature-for-sleep

How Does Temperature Affect Sleep?
    Your core body temperature generally hovers around 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (37 degrees Celsius), but fluctuates by about 2 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the night. The drop in temperature starts about two hours before you go to sleep, coinciding with the release of the sleep hormone melatonin. During sleep, body temperature continues to fall, reaching a low point in the early morning and then gradually warming up as the morning progresses. Lowering the thermostat at night can work in tandem with these natural temperature fluctuations, signaling to the body that bedtime is approaching.

This is something I've done just naturally because I feel hot all the time. After my husband goes to bed, I'll often turn the heat down so that I'm almost chilly before I go to bed. Apparently, that's actually a good thing to do.

The article also says,

The temperature of your bedroom can make a significant difference to your sleep quality. The best room temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep.

We keep the thermostat between about 15-16 Celsius at night.

Machka in Oz

I've had a fan blowing on me while lying in bed and reading before sleep recently. The pre-sleep cooling process does feel nice. :)

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am the wolf!

vl5nysc51d1b.png

I'm somewhere between the bear and the lion... which would make me an apex predator, but only if it's not 9 p.m., at which time, all I want is sleep! Ha!
    95ab7wso3ks5.gif
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,449 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a wolf here.🤗👍🏼💖. I don't struggle to wake up per say, but I definitely am not an early riser. I don't struggle to get to sleep though, nor am I tired throughout the day.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Worked, we cut the grass (not even weedwacked), I took my walk around the neighborhood, Vince started to put the Halloween lights out so I cut the wireties

Barbie – couldn’t you just ask Kim to make something????????lol

Heather – sure hope you feel better

Miss Idelia – you must have missed my welcome because as I was typing it, I thought “what an interesting name”

Carol – good luck on your test

Margaret – phew!!!

Lisa – beautiful vase

Gotta leave to go to that gal’s house

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Hmmmm im waiting on my debit card ,called the bank and they said it should be here this week.. nothing has been taken out of my account thank goodness,and I have all the rest of cards in place.. im hoping it comes tomorrow..
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,083 Member
    Options
    🍁🍁🌻🍁🍁
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 38min 1sec, 144elev, 2.47ap, 79ahr, 93ahr, 4.09mi= 413c
    Strava app = 502c