WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2023

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Did the Kettleworx Chest and Back DVD then one part of the absolute abs DVD, took a walk to Food Lion to get more potatoes for Vince and some donuts that were on sale. See, if I spent another $1.55, I got $2 off my next order. Then went to WalMart.

Made some more protein waffles in case I need to take some to Jess’ this weekend. Then made tofu manicotti for next week. Only I don’t tell Vince there’s tofu in them. He’s had them before and liked them.

debbie – I find that when I walk by myself, I seem to think really clearly. Do you feel this way?

Tracey – Michaela is so adorable, as is her scarecrow

It was so dark when I left to go to Food Lion that I actually looked at the time on my phone to be sure I didn’t leave an hour earlier. Nope. We change our clocks next Sunday (boo)

Manicotti just came out of the oven. Want to make some biscuits to have in the freezer for Vince. But first I want to dry the pots etc in the oven

pip – Jess likes succulents. I found this “glow in the dark” one that I thought was interesting. Hope it survives until I can give it to her next weekend. Which reminds me, I should probably water it

Rebecca – safe travel

kylia – I never thought of M’s rash as being shingles, but you are so right. It’s been going on a long time, now. Oh, you don’t know what you missed by never having a spaghetti squash. Just wait till you try it!. Vince is like your dh...he saves and saves. I get rid of things that we haven’t used in a long time. He felt bad getting rid of his crib, Jess didn’t want us to do it (no one would use it because it didn’t meet safety standards of today but she still didn’t want us to get rid of it. But we did anyway.). Great job doing all that cleaning!

When we go to see Jess this weekend, first I want to stop by this place that says they buy silverplate. I don’t want to go with Jess because she won’t want to sell it. Even if all I get is $5, to me that’s a win
    because otherwise it would just be sitting in the house.

allie - My CPAP mask is one like this:gclid=Cj0KCQjwhfipBhCqARIsAH9msbk7y5u8jqn_ERTOxwRHQj7gQE0MW87ZK0SP3aehQPlDzcTXv23PjVQaAmGVEALw_wcB. See how there's this short elastic thing in the back? Well, the last one they sent me has a long elastic thing that goes from one side to the other. There aren't the plastic "bars" on the side. I find that with this new one, I'm getting a much more restless sleep because the elastic thing that helps hold it on your head keep slipping to the top of my head. I'm constantly waking up, moving it so that I can sleep. This must happen at least a dozen times a night. It happens whenever I roll over, and I do that a lot.

While at WalMart in the frozen fruit area I found this fruit called Aloe Vera. Has anyone ever had it? It looks like it's pretty bland (if it is, Vince will probably like it)

Michele NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Kylia - I was thrilled to hear about your good day yesterday at work and getting things caught up at home. :) Sounds like a wonderful day is on tap for you today.

Annie - You are getting a plan underway. So many good ideas here among our group. You have a lot of "Orchestrating" to do but you'll do fine.

I got an email from a friend this morning whose MIL (93) is living in a home across town that he and his wife own. He is always having to run over there and mow, fix things. She is forgetful and refuses to take in a live-in helper. MIL refuses to even think of moving into assisted living because she's got it so good. I thought his email was timely considering aging parents have been the topic here this past week and it was interesting hearing it from a guy's perspective.

Tracey - Wow, Michaela's scarecrow is so cute. What cute "blind mice!" I plan to watch the videos later this week when the rain returns. I have 2 sunny days here to get outside jobs caught up.

Lisa - way to go Corey! We'll miss the shirtless photos, lol. >:)

Rebecca - have a safe drive back. So glad you and Lee were able to stop in and see his mom. She's a sweetie.

Rosemarie - thanks for popping in here. <3 So glad the dog fostering is going well. Good job getting Shirley back on track. (Cute name!) I'm not a big meat eater anymore but go heavy on eggs for the protein for breakfast, with some beef or pork or chicken now and then, a bit on the side for additional protein. How are you with eating fish? I'm too lazy to cook it most of the time but love canned salmon I can throw on top of a salad.

10 minute walks - I measured, and three ten minute walks average between 1,000 and 1300 steps, depending on where I'm walking. I'm not wedded to my pedometer, some days forget to put it in my pocket. Barbie has it right, there's more to exercise than just walking. Annie the pup is seeing to that.

New ladies starting back in exercising - I became a member of this group nearly seven years ago. During that time, I started back jogging (I was 65 then) and then injured my left foot - stone bruise, metatarsalgia, 2 steriod shots - which cut even walking way down for a while. I was making good headway with free weights and ankle weights for a couple years but sidelined when I got a frozen shoulder. Then, I developed a small hernia below my belly button from dragging a heavy bag of potting soil around. :p Surgery and reduced walking plus no lifting for a while. After recovering from that, the Pandemic hit and I was back daily walking with my neighbor until I broke my baby toe/injured my whole foot a little over a year ago (barefoot and kicking a toy for the dog and bonked my foot on the recliner!) which sidelined me for a quite a while and I'm still on the mend from that.

The reason I mention all of this - do not be discouraged if you get started on an exercise plan but get sidelined because of family, injury or medical reasons. We can get back on the horse - it might take a month or two instead of the week or two recovery period we had in our 20's. Many of us in this group have had to re-adjust our exercise plans but continually find ways to keep active. I am so happy to be able to start walking again and to be active doing outside jobs while the weather is nice. Grateful for what I can do, not longing for what I can't do anymore - I still go there sometimes and have to yank myself back into the present.

***Reminder for anyone wanting to be included in the "check-in", please get your info to me today or tomorrow morning.

Make it a wonderful Sunday!

Lanette B)
    Sunny SW WA State where it was 24f this morning.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    I had oatmeal for breakfast this morning aptly as it is National Oatmeal Day! It is also the day some countries Fall Back. I was confused because I didn’t think we changed ours until next week (Nov. 5). Looked it up and I was right, next week the US falls back. See the rest of the list in spoiler.
    ldqnd6wp4qo9.jpeg
    psjsvr14bue8.jpeg
    z8vc7s13aqip.jpeg

RVRita

Cat day and hermit day. :)
  • Machka9
    edited October 2023
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka Just wondering based on things I have seen and read lately.....could the rash be shingles and not an allergic reaction? It seems like a long time for clearing up. Just a thought that crossed my mind especially when you said it was painful.

Lots of love,
    Kylia in rainy Ohio

It was painful early on but only for a couple days. Now it's just itchy. It's a whole collection of small itchy lumps which are actually little blisters. But they aren't close together anymore. The ones down both arms are just here and there.

I've also been immunised for shingles.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    While at WalMart in the frozen fruit area I found this fruit called Aloe Vera. Has anyone ever had it? It looks like it's pretty bland (if it is, Vince will probably like it)

Michele NC

We grow aloe vera ... young plants look like this:
    7bh25nkzsx3c.png

Apparently it does have a very seedy fruit although I've never seen ours produce any.

What does yours look like?

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Well, the 5th is the 1/2 marathon day. I think he said our start time is 6:30am. We are going to ride our bikes there again. Kirby has been training a lot more than I have because I’m still biking because of the MS ride. Because we r riding, that means I will be running with a backpack carrying our helmets and bike shoes. I told him to run like the wind and. I’ll just see him at the finish line. I will try to run the whole way but we will see if I can with the extra Wei, it will be an awkward run with a backpack. My brother and his wife will be at the finish line. They will be serving a hot breakfast, ice cream sundae and a live band playing for entertainment. I’ve broken in my new monkey feet, so that’s good.I looked at the weather forecast for that day, 54 degrees at 6am and we should be running for 2 hrs or so, 62 degrees at 9am. Good run day

Tough run carrying all that!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options