WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Rita - I try to live my life with 'loving detachment'. I don't always succeed because I am an empath. :) Most spiritual principles require practice and discipline, and they get easier with practice. I am still practicing. :p

Love Heather, still recovering from her empathy with the poor pigeon. UK xxxxxxxx

I'm more of an "apath" :smiley:

Although I feel more empathy toward animals than people.

But you took me by surprise. From your posts, I would have put you slightly closer to the apath end of the "empath---apath" scale than to the empath end. Of course, I don't know you in person.

M in Oz

I had to look up the difference between apath and empath. I think you are correct, I try to have empathy, I used to be good at that until the divorce, and some other things that happened during that time. That pushed me more toward apath. I am now trying to get my empathy back. Being on 3 depression/anxiety medications takes a lot of feeling away….

RVRita

BTW when I referred to apath, I was thinking along the lines of being apathetic. Not out to hurt anyone, but low on the feelings end of things. Like someone on the autistic spectrum.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Annie, Kylia, Rita, and others in need of hugs...sent your way!

What makes a sad day a bit better? Seeing all the pics of the kiddos in your lives! Thanks for sharing your families.

Back to the kitchen. Baking and cooking make me feel better.

Tina in CA

Sorry about your friend. :(

That kind of hit me because of what I went through a little over 5 years ago with my husband ... and the man across the ward from him who didn't survive his severe brain injury.

:(

I'm very sorry. I guess I should have put in a trigger warning and in a spoiler.

Tina in CA

It's OK. These things happen from time to time.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Annie: You are so brave and compassionate to begin palliative care for your mother. I have had only amazing experiences with hospice care. I suggested it my friend Amy's husband in Poconos, but it was too late. She passed in the hospital ICU. 😥

Tina: My sympathies on the loss of your dear friend.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

I am so sorry about your dear friend. :'(

Tina in CA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Annie: You are so brave and compassionate to begin palliative care for your mother. I have had only amazing experiences with hospice care. I suggested it my friend Amy's husband in Poconos, but it was too late. She passed in the hospital ICU. 😥

Tina: My sympathies on the loss of your dear friend.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

We cross-posted... I'm so sorry about your friend, Rori.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Well i raked the leaves before going out.. bad mistake..been hacking and sneezing ever since.going to bed early.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Debbie- all you have to do is dispute it with the credit card company and they will take care of the problem..thats what I did..only thing is they charged darn near 50.00 dollars for taxes and its coming from brooklyn n.y. to Connecticut through UPS.i won't get that back. But will hopefully get what I paid for the phone back..
    Tina- so very sorry about your friend ,sure hope they find who hit him,and prosecute,vehicular manslaughter is no joke.
    My prayers to him and his family.
    Had a lovely dinner with my friends here tonight which is always nice.

mine was taken care of . Full amount refunded.
    That is what they should do for you- you shouldn't be out that much money for something they screwed up on. I would fight it.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

walk w/family- 2hrs 4min 5sec, 61elev, 2.94ap, 88ahr, 105mhr, 6.16mi= 611c
    Strava app = 755c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 32.29min, 348elev, 131aw, 18.8amph, 101ahr, 117mhr, 10.19mi= 167c
    Strava app = 243c
    Zwift stats- 32.30min, 348elev, 131aw, 70arpm, 18.83amph, 10.2mi= 244c

Total cal 778
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Meg - I was just thinking of you yesterday... wasn't it you whose husband had the legal issues, and was released a bit early? I hope I'm not causing offense, or bringing up old or bad memories. And if it wasn't you, my apologies! I was just so impressed by how that whole tough situation was handled. Welcome back! Hope the holiday season is treating you well.

Lisa in AR

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Rori and Tina, I’m so sorry for your respective losses. Gentle hugs held extra long….

Tracy, thanks for the info about the trees and snowmen. Sadly, my Dollarama doesn’t have them, nor does Dollar Giant. Amazon has them, but they want an extraordinary amount of money for them! I will keep looking, should check out Michael’s….

Meg, welcome back!

Lisa, love the photos of Egg, all of them. I do miss having a cat, still don’t miss the litter box tho. Having an indoor/outdoor cat wouldn’t work here for may reasons.

Lanette, do we have to be friends in order for me to be part of your accountability group? I think I might just be ready to do this and definitely having some to be accountable to just might keep the commitment level up! If so, please feel free to make a friend request. Thanks!

It’s been three days for me, trying to stick to the straight and narrow and so far it’s been okay. Not 100%, but haven’t been grazing my way thru the kitchen every night so I am calling it a win.

Congrats to those celebrating, hugs for those needing them and welcome to any new gals!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked then stopped at the church for my lector book since I’m supposed to lector Sat. and the book only goes up to Nov. 26. Anyway, the gal wasn’t there so I went to Sam’s. Needed gifts for the ceramic Christmas party, got some hors duerves (or however it’s spelled) cookie dough to make for Jess to take to the party (I just don’t feel like making it from scratch). Used our Sam’s bucks so only paid $33 for 3 party gifts, 4 boxes of hors duerves, container of cookie dough, and these cocoa bomb things that Jess might like. Went for my boob squeeze today. Then stopped at the Salvation Army (natch)

Tracey – we’re having our Christmas Eve on the 23rd, too, because Jess and Colby are flying out to Idaho on the 24th

Barbara – I don’t mind cleaning, but for some reason, and this I can’t explain, I just procrastinate making beds. But I do it and afterwards feel good about doing it So why do I procrastinate? I don’t know. It’s not like it’s a big deal

Ginny – I can’t help thinking that Denise has an “entitled” feeling. Also, I admit that there may not be anything to worry about, but I worry anyway (that’s a mother’s job, huh?). We know that Pete abused her cat, even tho neither of them admitted it. The SPCA told us when they seized the cat, he threw the cat to them. I do worry because someone who will abuse an animal is very likely to abuse a person. I also know that there’s nothing I can do about it. One of the signs of an abuser is that they separate their victim from their family. Is this what’s going on? I don’t know.

Annie – my car won’t start if I don’t have the key. Would your father get very upset if only YOU had the key? Regarding your daughter, remember “you only hurt the ones you love”

Well, we have all of the trees up (all nine). Vince has most of the lights on them. We started decorating outside this year early (like I’ve been suggesting we do for years). Now Vince is saying that he is going to try not having any commitments (MD appt. dentist appt) during Nov. and Dec. Guess he sees the wisdom in getting things done early. Also have most of the Christmas gift shopping done. Or at least I do, which is like 90% of the shopping.

Heather – how sad for that pigeon

Rita – a piece of cardboard works to keep the frost off? I think we have a cardboard sunshield that we don’t use (not sure why Vince insisted on keeping it) that I could probably use. I’m so not used to this frost on the windshield stuff. Really wish Hyundai would get their act together

Tina – I’m so sorry to read about your friend. Absolutely, go to the game. He would have wanted you to. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he was at that game, too

Lisa – that pic of Egg and the fire looks like something out of Norman Rockwell

Oh Annie – how I wish I could be there to give you a real big hug. But since I can’t, just take the virtual one that I’m sending. My neighbor just had in-home hospice and it seemed to work out quite well for them. Of course, everyone is different

Joy – does your husband take uloric for his gout? Vince takes that

Rebecca – could there be a silver lining in your gum issue – you don’t want to eat????

They’re celebrating the birthdays at ceramics. To be honest, I really don’t care to. But I got some pigs in the blanket to take with me tonight. Vince will eat whatever is left over.

Michele NC

I would think so, but my mouth has acclimated and chews on the other side perfectly. I had pizza today with no problems!😂😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)Meg, Glad to see you again. I hope we'll see you regularly.

:)Machka, I liked your lists of how to say no. My most used one is "I am not available". The second most used is "That doesn't work for me".

:) I still remember the day someone told me that I didn't have to answer my phone just because it was ringing even if the caller was someone across the street who could see me standing by the window in my kitchen.

:)Debbie , my credit card company has taken care of several bad charges. They try to encourage me to contact the retailer, but I never do. I just let the credit card company do it and it works.

:) My walk this morning was shortened because we slept late so I went for another walk after dark and got to enjoy lots of holiday lights that aren't lighted when I walk in the morning.

:)Annie, my dog walking friend got help at her home from Hospice in the last months of her husband's life. She said they were wonderful.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Lisa: A husband who can make a picture-perfect fire. Now that is a great thing!

Margaret Turk: Your overdoer cousin in poor health reminds me that sometimes I work so hard to clean the house for Xmas that I am tired on Christmas day!

Kylia: I love your Christmas decorations ...hope Snowman is okay!

Heather: I love nature because it can be healing and spiritual. But the food chain idea is not my favorite
    thing! Great about 2 bunches of flowers being delivered!

Carol: I use to cook Cornish hens regularly. I joined this de-cluttering Facebook group and realized I was not one to complain. I am cleaning out one storage room while others are cleaning out their parents homes while trying to work. I have more perspective now and am more grateful! Also mentioning that I am having a junk company come seems out of place. Many are cleaning by putting one bag a week into the trash or by loading carload on top of car load of junk. I will be doing this in the future now that I have room to move in the storage room.

Machka: I didn't know there was an empath/apath scale. I would probably be in the middle somewhere.
    I didn't like some of Sharon Martin's ideas for saying no. I like some of the Wonder Cottage ideas better...
    ...I really appreciate you asking me, however\
    ....Thanks for thinking of me, unfortunately

Annie: Unfortunately my husband and I learned the difference between Palliative Care and Hospice as part of our journey. Most companies offer both. We did Palliative Care for some months and this was helpful because we could still treat any dehydration or pneumonia that arose. I feared Hospice might not want to treat these issues and my Husband was still alert and very interested in current events and the family and so forth. The Palliative care nurse was an NP and able to write out most of his scripts so doctor's visits stopped. When we did decide to do hospice it was very near the end and we were able to go to an inpatient hospice. Many people do outpatient hospice and speak highly of it.

Rebecca: An hour conversation every Monday...Wow! I don't know a lot of Moms receiving this from their adult son!

Vickie: I hope you feel better.

I have missed many of the episodes of All Creatures Great and Small. But I got interested and curious about the episode where Mrs Hall, played by Anna Madeley meets up with her estranged son. It is not an easy meeting. He is joining the military and war is possible. Anna Madeley does such an excellent job showing us the daily strain of having an estranged child.

Off to do meditation. I do Zoom meditation with a group every Tuesday evening!

Best,
    Rosemarie from Georgia

I know, its kind of like famine and now feasting! I had called him on Saturday night because I figured he would be up late etc, but I woke him up. It was 10 pm there, and he was working days. He said he woke up to a sound from his phone which was the ringing sound Messenger makes when you are enunciating a call or video chat. He said it scared the bee Jesus out of him! Poor kid. He texted me 5 minutes later, and said he'd call on Monday. Then he did. Its really nice to get to know this adult person, being that the last time I saw him it was 5 years ago. He's grown up slot since then.💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3