• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Rosemarie - Big hugs! <3 You are going through exactly the same thing as my friend L. Today is two years since her partner died suddenly. Her overwhelming grief is only now beginning to be copable with and she still hasn't done much decluttering at all. Her partner's stuff is everywhere. I know she wants to, but she is paralysed.
    The course that DrKatie recommends should be a good one. It works on the idea of 'body doubling', in that you are effectively doing it with mentors and other people, which helps enormously. Jan 13th. I watch their normal videos all the time and have gained great insight and support from them. I have Dana's book, 'Decluttering at the Speed of Life', which is excellent.
    My friend G has used a hired 'body double', who is just a student she found on local FB. He doesn't make decisions, but is there with her, and can carry heavier objects. She can't do it on her own, but finds another person just being there very helpful. He is a student, so very cheap.
    I'm glad you have the Facebook group. Lean on anything and anyone you can. The friendly faces of Cas, Dana, and Minimal Mom, have got me through many a difficult moment, just for company in a dark night. Remi Clog is also very likeable.
    Wish I could be your body double! <3 I have done it a bit on WhatsApp with L, by just getting her to send before and after photos of her kitchen drawers, and being a cheerleader when she sold a wok on Facebook. It is very slow going though.
    Join the Take Your House Back group before the offer expires. You are worth it!

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    r358xx5xv6rs.png
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie: Lots of good advice given already. Grief is very personal. I’m sure your son would want you to be comfortable in your own home. Ask him for help.

I’m planning a day of general decluttering, and putting items away. DH has his Badminton lunch today, so I will be uninterrupted 😝

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Well, the hospice nurse says mom is down to a few days left. So the task is to keep her sedated and comfortable. I am sleeping on the chair again and dosing her every three hours.

Dad is more and more divorced from reality. He asked about chemotherapy for her last night. We decided together not to do that a few weeks back. The minister is coming today. Dad said he didn't want to do a final blessing yet, because he wasn't ready to " give up". But we gave up on healing weeks ago when we decided on hospice. Dad's dementia has erased the uncomfortable discussions. Now he has to accept her death all over again.

My sister goes home on Thursday, unless things change. So I would like a sitter for an hour in the morning, for my medical appointment, and for an hour and a half in the afternoon for horseback riding, if I can swing that. Maybe dad can do it, maybe not. My sister was getting mom and dad to sit together, and now Dad keeps saying Mom wants to sit up. She can't, she is dead weight. And he can't manage her alone. I'm afraid he will try and she will end up on the floor again.

My approach is to let her sleep. Just hold her hand once in awhile. I think I have already been through goodbye.

I'm afraid Dad will become unmanageable. But first we get through this. The hospice nurse is coming back today, and the minister, and a friend is dropping off soup. I need to go get groceries early. I guess my goal today is to manage dad, and keep mom comfortable. I was sort of relying on the minister to counsel dad, but it's too easy for him to withdraw. And my other goal is to put some pants on mom and maybe a clean top before the minister arrives.

I wrote another book, sorry. Thank you all for your patience and compassion.

Have a great day!

Annie in Delaware

dtxsxmk38vtg.jpg

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Gratitudes:
    Monday 12/11: GodDaughter M and her kids in my life… just a little ;)
    Rita when Joe and I married, I got my first washer/dryer set, and swore like Scarlett that as God was my witness I’d never go to the laundromat again!
    Barbie wish I’d done that 8AM Saturday contact with Mama. Yours about the schedule and investing our time/selves in what is really important.
    Michele “Yippee!!!! We made the pierogi today AND ONE BROKE!!!!” :laugh: Bet I know what happened to it. “5000 sq ft” house? WOW. :noway: When we went from 3600 to 1400 thought I’d died and gone to heaven.
    Kelly TV interview and starting a book? WOW! You do not sound like a crazy person who lets kids play with trash, you sound like an intelligent woman inspiring the kids in her care in imaginative ways. Bravissima!
    Heather, Terri thanks for the wastage/weight bearing reminder. Thankful that my strengthening PT doesn’t trigger my shin pain. Seems like the flexing/stretching exercises could be the culprit as it returned (mildly) this week.
    Lanette I’m sure your right about the walking workouts and balance, as well as farmer grandmothers. Wherever did you find your Christmas tree? :laugh: “I didn't carry weights when I was "street walking".” ROTFLMAOWMP!
    Kay :love: your Christmas outfit. Insightful seven core areas.
    Belated welcome @maureenbarry750 ! Those are two powerful motivations.
    Pip :love: your back patio decorations and plant shelves.
    Belated best birthday wishes Ginny!
    Allie, Lisa, Michele: Katla is in a safe place with her daughter and grands nearby, but misses her mfp friends and Oregon. Don’t know how her husband is doing.
    Kim good to see you posting. Our firehouse kept its landline for the same reason, but recently the carrier switched from copper to fiber/voip so if the power fails due to disaster so will the landline. Time to make friends with the local ham radio club ;}
    Carol so sorry about the Walmart delivery. Hope you used a credit card and can dispute the charge since the product was never received.
    Rosemarie sorry to hear you are so very tired. You might not feel “depressed” but you’ve been through a great loss and this may be your body’s way of coping. After Papa passed, Mama slept the entire summer. ((hugs))
    Luanne in Shenandoah Valley “Well, I'm logging my meals. That's a start, right? Awareness?” YES! Awareness is the crucial first step. Well done!
    Machka thanks for the dehydration/cartilage/inflammation info.
    Heather, Ginny and Betsy, yours to Rosemarie. Well said.
    Through pg 29, time to snooze.
    12/10: Move: ZERO sets PT, , Jeopardy walking. Steps:7259
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=6 CI<CO net=205 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, H, church and council, shopped Gold Beach craft fair. Wt:129.0
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    December: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, meditate 3 minutes/day. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Max is here. He arrived in a downpour and his anorak was soaking wet. Luckily the inside stayed dry. It's on the radiator now. I will order an Uber to get to the restaurant. Not the day for braving the weather. Wind and rain. :#:o
    I can hear him and John chatting away downstairs. :D<3

Annie - My thoughts are with you. <3<3<3

Love to everyone, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday,
    Rosemarie I just wanted to jump into your car with you and hold you when i read your post! (((HUGS)))I am late to give suggestions and it seems a lot of us are of like minds. Even one thing at a time like the mantle is great. You have to eat the elephant one bite at a time. I love Cas and Dana! Cas with Clutterbug helped me realize I am not lazy or disorganized (most of the time) , I just have a different organizing style than my DH. When I needed to organize "my" room years ago, I put everything out in the hall, then figured out what and how things went back in. I can't do this when DH is home. He keeps everything, usually in twos or threes! While your son may be "on vacation" I agree with asking him for some help. He may surprise you. Maybe ask him to help in the area you spend the most time in outside of the bedroom. I love Machka's (?)suggestion of putting things in a different room that you are unsure of just to clear a space for you. We are all offering hugs and support. Pop in often if only to say you need a hug.

Barbara[b/]- Thank you for Katla update. I know she misses Oregon, but am happy she is in a safe place.

[bIAnnie
    Continued hugs for you also (((HUGS))) You are between a rock and a hard spot. I think finding someone to sit with your dad, even after mom passes, is a great idea. Maybe the minister could come in once or twice a week to visit for an hour or so to give you some time. You are doing an amazing job caring for them both. Remember to care for you too! You are important to us.

I am feeling better. Need to figure out cause for yeasts. So frustrating.

I use few chemicals in my house...dishwasher detergent and toilet bowl cleaner. I use mainly Norwex products. Any suggestions for a natural cleaner for cabinets and flat surfaces? I am looking forward to a deep clean when Christmas comes down. I realized to other day that my hallway wall still has the dirt on it from where my German Shepard use to lay against the wall. I can keep things picked up, but dusting or deep cleaning are low on my list which isn't good since DH is allergic to dust mites. So suggestions would be great! Thank you!

I need to set up bloodwork appointment. Ugh. Procrastination rearing it's head again. Need to get moving for today.

Lots of love and respect for all of you ladies!

Kylia in Ohio where winter has arrived for the second day
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Rosemarie- Yay! One small step at a time!
  • Machka9
    Options
    Annie: Good Morning. I hope you were able to get some sleep. I hope you take time to eat. breakfast and all the meals today. You are a great care giver and doing a fine job. Peace for your family and especially for your Dad.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions! The course can be done by paying 30 something dollars a month so I will sign up today!

Just clearing the mantle has helped. The tv is on an old kitchen table and this blocks the fire place. I see for 100 dollars I can get a minimalist tv stand. I am looking into this.

Thank you
    Rosemarie from Georgia

We have "tip shops" and "op shops" here. Tip shops are at each rubbish dump. Instead of bringing stuff to be put into the rubbish dump, they take it to the tip shop (recovery and recycling) place next to the rubbish dump where it is sold for a greatly reduced price. We can get all sorts of stuff at a tip shop and I have picked up a couple antique tables ... and lots of other things like CDs, DVDs, my laptop table, etc.

Op shops are thrift shops which usually have a lot if clothing and books but also furniture sometimes.

If you have anything like that in your area, check them out. You might be able to find a nice TV stand for half that price.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Tuesday,
    Rosemarie I just wanted to jump into your car with you and hold you when i read your post! (((HUGS)))I am late to give suggestions and it seems a lot of us are of like minds. Even one thing at a time like the mantle is great. You have to eat the elephant one bite at a time. I love Cas and Dana! Cas with Clutterbug helped me realize I am not lazy or disorganized (most of the time) , I just have a different organizing style than my DH. When I needed to organize "my" room years ago, I put everything out in the hall, then figured out what and how things went back in. I can't do this when DH is home. He keeps everything, usually in twos or threes! While your son may be "on vacation" I agree with asking him for some help. He may surprise you. Maybe ask him to help in the area you spend the most time in outside of the bedroom. I love Machka's (?)suggestion of putting things in a different room that you are unsure of just to clear a space for you. We are all offering hugs and support. Pop in often if only to say you need a hug.

Barbara[b/]- Thank you for Katla update. I know she misses Oregon, but am happy she is in a safe place.

[bIAnnie
    Continued hugs for you also (((HUGS))) You are between a rock and a hard spot. I think finding someone to sit with your dad, even after mom passes, is a great idea. Maybe the minister could come in once or twice a week to visit for an hour or so to give you some time. You are doing an amazing job caring for them both. Remember to care for you too! You are important to us.

I am feeling better. Need to figure out cause for yeasts. So frustrating.

I use few chemicals in my house...dishwasher detergent and toilet bowl cleaner. I use mainly Norwex products. Any suggestions for a natural cleaner for cabinets and flat surfaces? I am looking forward to a deep clean when Christmas comes down. I realized to other day that my hallway wall still has the dirt on it from where my German Shepard use to lay against the wall. I can keep things picked up, but dusting or deep cleaning are low on my list which isn't good since DH is allergic to dust mites. So suggestions would be great! Thank you!

I need to set up bloodwork appointment. Ugh. Procrastination rearing it's head again. Need to get moving for today.

Lots of love and respect for all of you ladies!

Kylia in Ohio where winter has arrived for the second day

Natural cleaners? Vinegar and baking soda.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Had a great day at work coding with SQL. I was able to do some things I have not done before. I feel like I leveled up in the SQL game!

At home, we've started watching Christmas movies.

Plus I worked on laundry, tidied the area around my chair, did a bit with my cycling club, coloured and read.

I walked a little over 30 km and climbed 20 flights of stairs.

M in Oz