WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Barbie-love that! Unfortunately that is my SIL'S thinking!

Heather I really like those!

Trying to think of word for next year. Concept is selfish in the sense of self care. Still thinking....may just end up as selfish. Could be prioritize.....

<3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    <3 Hey all! I have been "non-peopling" this Christmas. I have been on vacation since Friday, the 22nd. Christmas was just my DH, DYS, and I (as usual). I spent my days napping, a bit of cooking, and watching Christmas movies. I undecorated on the 26th, so I could begin to build my spaceship for the kids return on Jan. 2nd. Then I was sick for a couple of days (27th-29th). I feel better today, headache and nausea gone, but tired again. SO...postponing the ship build until next weekend (or when I feel well enough energy-wise). I am also still dealing with some major foot pain. That has gotten me really down, because I can't "do" things like I am usually always doing things. I have been reading all of your posts, though.
    Annie- Sending my condolences on the passing of your mom and all of the funeral and will issues. When my mother in law passed, there were four of us who did the eulogy. Each of us speaking for only a short time. One read her favorite bible verse, then three of us read a page of special memories of her and things we knew/liked about her. BUT, most funerals I have attended the person has been eulogized by the minister. I see absolutely nothing wrong with reducing your/and anyone else's stress by letting the minister handle the eulogy.
    Kim- I am of the same mindset with gift giving. It annoys me to see news segments on "bad gifts" and see handmade things listed or "household items/things that make housework easier" listed. I am one of those people who would LOVE a piece of someone's pottery or a painting they have done. I also am the chief cook and bottle washer at my house and would love ANY appliance that would make my life easier. New knives? always! New pans? sure! A food processor? definitely! OR...because I have very little wiggle room in my budget for eating out or extras, a gift card to a restaurant or a grocery store to help with the cost of groceries is always appreciated. I have never gotten a piece of jewelry as a gift and if my DH were to give one to me now, I think I would hock it and pay a bill. lol
    Beth Hugs to you! Sorry to hear of your mom's fall and other health issues.
    Machka I hope you are beginning to feel better!
    Heather Can you share your instagram art? Or the IG inspiring it? I love to see how much fun your grands have with you and John.
    Lisa- The sunroom looks fabulous! Nice work Corey and team!
    Michele- Your trees look wonderful! Do you leave them up into January?
    Allie- Miles is adorable. I love to see parents let their kids play in puddles, mud, etc. So good for them! Sorry to hear about Carmine. Hopefully some time/maturity will help open eyes and hearts. In the meantime, hugs to you and the family. I know it is painful.
    Tracey- I love your relationship with your grands! Oh and congrats on doing so well in your class!
    Kylia- You are SO busy! You are like the energizer bunny...you keep going...and going...Take time for you! Remember you can't fill someone else's bucket with an empty bucket!
    Debbie- You are in a horrible position, right now. I would never assume to give advice, bc I am pretty sure I have been (and sometimes still am) in the position of dealing with a severely depressed and sometimes emotionally abusive spouse. All I will say is soak in all of the positive things in your life. Your walks, your son, your hobbies and talents, your friends. Draw all you can from the positives and read the above statement to Kylia "you can't fill someone else's bucket with an empty bucket."

Well, I better fly. I am bound and determined to actually do a little cleaning today. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Headache, nausea, sore feet? Have you checked yourself for COVID recently?

M in Oz
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    2023 December Kindness

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate celebrating the coming of the New Year with 5 months of sobriety behind me.

Meditation: daily. 18/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%,100,100,83%
    Feeling sick all month. Colitis crap! And eye surgery.

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min /23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%,100%)
    5 months SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5907,5777, 4325,5916 (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%-84% 5882-)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 (10,00%) 50%
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 231/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change, 100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)107/96 100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2, 173.4, 173.4 (600%) 100%,100%
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 17/23. (681%,100,100,83)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 51/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 12/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—75%
    December met—

1.Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others. Sharing with my MFP friends.
    2. Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are doing. Forgot to do this yesterday. Hope to do it today. I did this on Sunday 12/3.
    3. Offer to help someone who is facing difficulties at the moment. Helped my fellow host in learning what to do in 2 separate incidents with campers.
    4. Support a campaign, cause, or charity you really care about.
    5. Give a gift to someone who is homeless or lonely. Did not do this. No chance to.
    6. Leave a positive message for someone else to find. Did this yesterday.
    7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today. I will try. A bit down today. Not feeling well.
    8. Do something helpful for a friend or family member. Will do!
    9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead. I will try to remember.
    10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them. I need to learn to do this more.
    11. But an extra item and donate to a food bank. Did not have a chance to do this today.
    12. Be generous. Feed someone with food, love or kindness today.
    13. See how many be people you can smile at today. I didn’t count, but smiled at ask the hospital employees I meet yesterday while getting eye surgery.
    14. Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one. Will do!
    15. Say hello to your neighbor and brighten their day. Sounds like a plan for today!
    16. Look for something positive to say to everyone you meet today. My goal always!
    17. Give thanks. List the kind things others have done for you. Will do this in my journal. I didn’t do this.
    18. Ask for help and let someone else know the how of giving.
    19. Contact someone who may be alone or feeling isolated.
    20. Help someone by giving away something you don’t need.
    21. Appreciate kindness and thank people who do things for you. I always thank people for being kind. I appreciate kind people always.
    22. Congratulate someone for an achievement that may go unnoticed. Will do!
    23. Choose to give or receive the gift of forgiveness. I pray for this every day.
    24. Bring joy to others. Share something that made you laugh. 🤪
    25. Treat everyone with kindness including yourself. I try to do this always.
    26. Get outside, pick up litter or do something kind for nature. My daily job! :)
    27. Call a relative who is far away to say hello and have a chat. Calling my son. It’s his birthday toady and he lives in Connecticut.
    28. Be kind to the planet. Eat less meat and use less energy. Will try!
    29. Turn off digital devices and really listen to people.
    30. Let someone know how much you appreciated them and why.
    31. Plan some new acts of kindness for 2024.

The results of your personality test are in. Here they are:
    Personality type: Logistician (ISTJ-T)
Traits: Introverted – 69%, Observant – 58%, Thinking – 75%, Judging – 56%, Turbulent – 54%
Role: Sentinel
Strategy: Constant Improvement
    Joined MFPL 5/26/2010
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Annie- it took us 4 months after my dad passed and we found our dads will in a UPS box up in the attic🙄 honestly ..it really didn't make much sense anyway,as my dad had done a reverse mortgage on the house..
    There are alot of things my parents did,I wouldn't do.but that was then and this is now..and you sure can't live in the past for sure.
    Rosemarie- if your garage has enough room for your car ,they have smallish chargers that can be bolted to the side of the garage to hook into no problem.
    Heather- you and John and the kids are sooo talented..just amazing.
    Miles 2nd birthday is the 7th and we are celebrating on the 6th
    Daycare had a new years party.t4v0brvh67yx.jpg
    She really does it up ..for the kids and im sure she will have a party for Miles too.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,970 Member
    Options
    YUMMMY Bacon day!

l6dc7hmftgcq.jpeg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Did Bob Harper’s Inside Out DVD then walked the neighborhood. Now waiting for the delivery at BK. Wish it would come soon. I need to leave by about 3:30 to lector. I am going to take some clothes with me that I think I’ll be able to get by with, something that’ll cover the BK shirt, different shoes.

Kim – we always used to get a live tree. We’d go to the farm in Oct and tag it then pick it up in Nov or Dec. But then we got a cat. We opted to get an artificial tree because we were afraid the cat would get the sap on its fur and rub up against a piece of furniture or cabinet. When we’d get the tree, the kids got to get a ride on the tractor (there was an attachment for, like, a dump cart) drinking hot chocolate. Ahhh...the days I bought my boots when we were in PA. I guess we were here about 10 years (so that would have made the boots about 15 years old) when the entire sole fell off. I bought another pair down here. Cheap ones since we don’t get a whole lot of snow, and just put this waterproofing spray stuff on it. Good enough for down here. Good idea to put a write up of the dress on the back of the picture.

Tracey – Memorial Day in the US is at the end of May

Allison – WB Most of the ladies on her don’t do the “friend” thing, we just come here and share/support, and we’d love to have you join us. We’re a chatty bunch, so be prepared!!!

Ginny – plastics in the tea bags?

Barbie – LOL My father owned his own business. Which was NOT easy without a wife, but he did it.

M – I unsubscribed to a lot of emails, too. What that means is that the “delete” button doesn’t get as much of a workout….lol

KJ – yes, we leave the trees up until Jan. Honestly if I let Vince have his way, we’d have them up all year long! But I want to get ready for summer. I try to have the goal of having everything down and put away before we leave for FL. That’s the GOAL anyway.

Margaret – how are Dee and minicooper doing?

Beth – so wonderful to hear of your mom

Still waiting for that truck to come to BK. Time to text the manager again to see if it got there. Hope it comes soon so I can get the work done and don’t have to go back after church.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    reo0mg7rkw72.jpg

:) Here is our electric car plugged into the charger in the garage. Easy and convenient :)

:) Late in her life my mother told me that she had to go to church so there would be a minister to say nice things about her at her funeral.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Yea, truck for BK is about 1/2 hr away, so I'll go in about 1/2 hr.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    https://aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2023/anti-obesity-medications-risks.html

:) I just read this article about Ozempic. It was very interesting for anyone who is considering it.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,432 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I've been thinking about what else can I incorporate next year to keep on my journey to better health. In this group, we have discussed starting small. Do a little bit. Add one little thing. Keep building on success.

I ran across "One Small Step Can Change Your Life - the Kaizen Way" by Robert Maurer. Many good ideas here on the benefit of starting small and building on them. Here's a FREE download of the book. ;)

https://roberthajnal.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Robert-Maurer-The-Kaizen-Way-PDF.pdf

More later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie-I have read some of the research and for many people that is not optimal. I think we need to remember that some of the numbers are educated guesses. Many doctors work from numbers and don't take into account the total patient. You say you don't want to exercise because you are lonely. One of the things I like about my outside walks is that even if I don't talk to others, I get to see people in neighborhood I walk through. Also-does the senior center near you have a gym/exercise classes? Maybe check one of those out.

Michelle-plastics and other stuff in many of the the brands of tea bags

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10389239/

Tracey-Jonah did rather nail the Hallmark movie description!

Heather-what great memories you are creating with your grands!

Slowly getting things done around house, Not winning any speed records!

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    I recently realized one of favorite brands of teas used plastic for their teabags. It is now off my list.

Michele I wish I could give more info on Dee and Minicooper. I see their name every once in awhile but I do not stay on the site long. Shortly after mini left I did write that we miss here. She lives somewhere in the area I live. We never got together like I did with Nancy and Gail. Also two I miss...