MARCH 2024 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @SummerSkier About the food logging…. I must admit I go through long periods without doing it. I cook stuff with so many ingredients (mostly healthy- and generally whatever happens to be in the fridge- that logging just is sometimes too time consuming. If I see the scale shoot up though I will be back at it. I do really try to do intuitive eating and listen to my fullness cues and try to get enough protein in with all my meals (and try to stay away from bread as much as possible). I am impressed by how most of you stick with it!

I do find logging exercise very important for accountability though! So I am very happy to be on MFP.

I guess my story is similar to @tarun_yadavA ’s. I just decided one day enough is enough -either I do something about being 185lbs and not really happy in my own skin or gain even more not doing anything about it. I’ve always loved running, but it was the combination of running, logging, and really paying attention to what I was eating that helped me lose it. Now I am mostly happy at around 155lbs but there is a voice in my head that says I could be a better runner if I weighed a good 10lbs less. However, I don’t know if I can commit to what it would take to lose more and until I can, the weight is not just going to fall of. But yeah, I’m ok with the status quo for the moment.

@7lenny7 May I ask what is in your “special” mix? I also wouldn’t advise making any traffic violations :).
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    Laurz9191 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 May I ask what is in your “special” mix? I also wouldn’t advise making any traffic violations :).

@Laurz9191 My recipe (in the spoiler below) came from this site:
    https://runographer.com/2015/12/homemade-sports-drink-for-the-ultimate-diy-running-nutrition/
    Here's another discussion of this recipe:
    https://www.blogbyben.com/2020/10/my-take-on-homemade-tailwind.html

I adjusted the amounts so that I could make up a gallon at a time, which gives me just over seven 500ml bottles worth, at 200 calories per bottle. Important point - you can't just add it to a full gallon of water or it will overflow. You'd think that'd obvious but apparently it wasn't the first time I tried it.... Anyway, I start with a half full gallon jug, add a batch of my Tailwind copycat, shake well, then fill nearly the rest of the way up. I leave more air in the jug than it started with so it's easier to shake and dissolve the powder. Once that's done, I add the flavor, which is usually "True Lemon" or True Lime" flavor packets from Amazon. The top one is for a gallon of mix, the bottom is for a single 500ml bottle. Once I mix it up, I seal it with a vacuum sealer but WITHOUT using the vacuum function. That'd be a nasty mess.
    Dextrose is also called corn sugar and can be bought from any brewing supply store. Amazon is a decent source for dextrose and maltodextrin, as is bulkfoods.com
    ei3ccpa2a538.png

• daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, suspicious baggies with white powdery stuff…. hmmm… we believe you @7lenny7 🤔😂
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you figured it out @ContraryMaryMary ! I am confident you will get that PR soon!

Nice run this morning @tarun_yadavA .

I'm glad things are looking up for you @Laurz9191 .

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation @7lenny7 ! I don't really have any before and after pictures...at least I don't think I do. I'll need to see what I can find when I was at my highest and lowest. Yeah for four days with no pain! That's a lot of snow heading your way. I can imagine running it that would be worse than loose sand, which is really hard too.

Great running @daria0919 !

Fantastic before and after pictures @shanaber ! Since you brought it up, how old are you? I never think of you being the oldest here. Happy Birthday to your DH and hope you enjoy the visit from your daughter and the zoo. Also hope it isn't too crowded. You're doing great with your walking this month!