NON WW & WW NEWBIES, OUR NEW LIFE, THE START OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Options

Replies

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Thanks. Yes. I hope. Last night's meal was really good. That's nice your daughter is going to make dinner. I love shrimp, my husband will only eat it fried because shrimp grosses him out. He's getting better about it though.

@gemwolf110 Thank you, it does suck. I'm sorry about your grandma's decline, that has to be hard to see that happen. Happy birthday to Kiara and Bronco!

Hi all. Yesterday, I spent about an hour folding and putting away clothes. It wasn't what I wanted to do but I had to do it. The food last night was really good. I meet with the dietician today for the next to the last time. I also go to the chiropractor. Last night, my back was bothering me. I did my exercises he gave me yesterday so I think that is what caused it, he did say it may cause a little bit of pain at first. It was more stiffness and tightness than actual pain.

Water yesterday: 12 oz

My phrase for the year: "New year, new me!"
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    @gemwolf110 I’m sorry your grandma is not well. That’s hard. Also glad the dogs are okay. @trooworld It’s a good feeling to get something done, especially something you don’t want to do. Hopefully the exercises will eventually help you to feel better. Hi, all. The meal last night was good. I’m blessed to have family nearby. Today is a swim day. My son is making 2 ATK recipes tonight: chicken souvlaki and chickpeas with spinach. The chicken serves 4 but I will eat 1/6 of the recipe. Usually the ATK portions are big.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Yes! I hope you enjoyed your swim. Your dinner sounds good.

Hi all. My back feels better today. My dietician appt went well, she said she is pleased with how I am doing as far as eating like I will be able to. She does want me to eat 3 meals consistently (on the weekends, often, I will skip either breakfast or lunch to save calories) and sub healthier desserts when I do have dessert. She also wants to see me get at least 64 oz of water every day. At the next visit, she will explain the 2-week diet I have to do immediately before surgery. It will take 6 weeks for my insurance to approve the surgery and then another 5-6 months to get on the schedule because they are so backed up.

Water yesterday: 88 oz

• cbabie
    cbabie Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Morning all, I can't believe I haven't posted in a bit..time just gets away from me in the mornings. All is good, I started my challenge yesterday, but didn't do well last night. I could have eaten better. Went for a walk, so that was good.

@trooworld So sorry you are having vertigo issues and back issues. I for sure have had the back issues. I am much better, but know how to move and not stand all day. LOL Glad you got a good report from your nutritionist.

@gemwolf110 Sorry your grandma is declining. So happy she has you!

@fabgeekmom I am glad you have family around close to you. What a blessing. It's also a blessing you all get along. Sounds like you are getting back into your routine from vacation. LOL

Cbabie
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld That’s good information from the dietitian. What are you thinking about concerning healthy desserts? Also glad your back is better. @cbabie Good job on the walk. Good luck with your challenge. Hi, all. I went on a short walk while talking to my cousin. DH and I went to Sam’s Club this morning. We ate leftover chicken and chickpeas for lunch. I need to work out on the bike. I feel lazy but exercise has to be done. I feel better afterwards. Tonight we are having salad, French fries and sloppy Joe’s. I have some 100 calorie high fiber hoagies leftover from Saturday.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @cbabie Yes, I was wondering where you and @theslightedgeforever have been! What does your challenge entail? Good luck with it. That's good you went for a walk. Thank you. That's good you know what not to do.

@fabgeekmom I'm not sure, after surgery, they will need to be sugar-free, probably low carb and have some fruit in them for nutrition. Once I am approved for surgery, I will get a bariatric surgery cookbook that might have recipes in it. Good job on the walk! I hope you enjoyed dinner.

Hi all. I did not do my chiropractic exercises yesterday, I thought to do them in the morning but put it off and was going to do them at work but then I had a very busy day at work. And then, when I got home, I was exhausted from my day. Today, I will make it a priority. I did well with food yesterday. I went to the cafe at work for breakfast but instead of getting something terrible, I got an egg scramble, which was a little better for me and kept me full into lunch. I only ate a little bit of my lunch because I was still full.

Water yesterday: 78 oz

• fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld A bariatric cookbook will be helpful. It’s good you’re thinking ahead. Good job on managing your food. Hi, all. DH and I went swimming after breakfast. The water always feels good. Tonight dinner will be leftover pasta and meatballs I put in the freezer a few weeks ago. We have a band concert to attend. My granddaughter is playing in the sixth grade band and also the seventh grade band as they don’t have a drummer.
  • theslightedgeforever
    theslightedgeforever Posts: 2,233 Member
    Options
    @fabgeekmom When you talked about your RX bar, you reminded me I have two Kind bars in there I still haven't eaten. I need to schedule them into one of my meals. I'm only eating fruit in the evening for my snack so I guess I'll just have to make them a part of my dinner. I'm glad you enjoy your Peloton workouts. The chicken cheese steak sandwiches sound good.

@trooworld Looking back at your food diary, are there any entries that could have contributed to your weight gain? How was your exercise this week? I was thinking yesterday that in all the ways that I have improved my quality of food through the years I'm basically about the same weight. Which is a frustrating thing but I also know that as I age I'm losing muscle mass which decreases my natural calorie burn so that accounts for some of it. I've lost 3 weeks in a row but it is slowing down. But then my exercise slowed down too last week. Food was well within my boundaries for calories and carbs last week. So moving on to this week. Did the chiro have any suggestions on what to do about the vertigo?

@cbabie Yaaay on your walk despite you not feeling well. Probably when we need it the most. Release those endorphins to bring on the dopamine. Exercise is the best drug I think. Are you taking statins? That will give you joint pain.

@gemwolf110 A Star Wars fan I see. My son loves those. Enjoy the nice weather. I'm glad you had a good visit with your grandmother. My mil is 90 and she barely talks now. Walking is difficult. She has slowed down so much.

My electricity was off yesterday for two hours so I didn't cook. I ordered burrito bowls with cauliflower rice. Ate half of that and said I'll eat the rest the next day. I did order queso and chips which I never do. I haven't had anything salty/crunchy for 3 weeks. They were so good. But back to no salty/crunchy for another while. The electricity was off again today for two hours. Almost same timing. Can they go pick on another neighborhood? I'm having broccoli soup for dinner.

I got a call from my son. Last night he fell from the top of the rockclimbing wall and broke his ankle. @cbabie Dad vibes!

I fell going up the stairs today. I have these wide legged pants which I've fallen in three times before. My foot gets caught inside the pant leg. You think I would have learned after the second time. So they will be going into retirement before I really do break something. I just have scrapes and bruises. Although I'm already beginning to feel achy.

I met with friends for breakfast and walked there. Then they dropped me back as we went somewhere else. So I got on the treadmill to make up the difference. Every little bit counts.

• trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Thank you! That's great you went for a swim. I hope you enjoyed the concert.

@theslightedgeforever I'm sure there are a few things that might have contributed, but I feel like 75-80% of the time, I made good choices. Because of my foot, I have not been exercising. I walk the dogs twice a day but that's about it. That's a good point about losing muscle mass, and it sucks! That's good your food was within the boundaries. The chiro said to do the Epley maneuver, which was what I was shown how to do in physical therapy. I'll probably do it this weekend, as the vertigo isn't too bad right now and I hate doing that maneuver as it makes me feel so bad. That was a smart choice to get burrito bowls with cauliflower rice. And then you only ate half, way to go! Oh no about your son, that sucks. Trying to have fun and you get hurt. I have a pair of pants like that and I worry about doing that. You are smart to get rid of yours. Sorry you fell. Good job walking to the breakfast place.

Hi all. Last night's meal was Creamy Tomato Butter Beans: https://www.foodbymaria.com/butter-beans/ I'm not sure if my husband overcooked it, if I should have used dry butter beans that I cooked myself (we used canned butter beans), or what but I wasn't 100% sold on the texture, it was pretty mushy. We had it with Trader Joe's garlic naan. The flavor was good. It's supposed to be a Blue Zones recipe. I stayed out of the cafe and vending machines at work. I've permitted myself to get breakfast at the cafe once a week. I already had my breakfast from the cafe this week, so no more. Just have to make it through today with no visits there.

Water yesterday: 108 oz

• theslightedgeforever
    edited May 9
    Options
    @trooworld Woohoo look at your water. It's entirely possible your gain was sodium bloat and then you'll get a WHOOSH! Can you shoot this week for 81% Yaaay on staying out of the vending machines. That stuff is poison to our bodies. I was looking up butter bean recipe. It reminded me of foul madames. So I looked up butter beans and found out it's lima beans. Hmmmmm I didn't like them as a child but maybe this would be better. I know foul madames is just fava or broad beans. I might substitute. Although I just went grocery shopping this morning so I'll have to wait til next week to try this.

I've closed my rings Tuesday and Wednesday. Working on today. I was on the phone with someone this morning and I kept walking back and forth the whole time just to get in some steps. I've done strength training once this week. I need to fit it in two more times this weekend. So far water has been better than last week.
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Good job on your food choices today and exercise. Closing my rings is a big motivator. Sorry about your son. @trooworld Too bad about the beans being mushy. I like trying new recipes but sometimes things don’t work out. It looks like you made the most out of it. That’s a good idea to limit food from the cafe. Hi, all. I didn’t sleep well last night so I’m dragging today. I did make myself work out on the bike. My hair dresser came today. She does a good job and I also enjoy talking to her. Last night no one wanted the pasta so we ate sandwiches. The concert was good but long as there were several groups that performed. Tonight we are having burgers, sweet potato fries, and string beans for dinner. Also fruit salad- strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever Yeah you might be right. I did have a little loss this week. I can shoot for 81% this week. That stuff is definitely poison to our bodies and is so addictive. I need to remember that. I decided I didn't like that recipe. Maybe it would be better with a different bean. Let me know if you try it with a different bean. Good job closing your rings! How did you do yesterday? How does it feel when you close your rings? Remember that feeling. Sounds like you are doing well.

@fabgeekmom Yeah I'm not sure I'll make that again as is. I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. Good job pushing through to work out! I'm glad you enjoyed the concert. Dinner sounds yummy. I love fruit salad but it's so much work to make (I usually cut up a bunch of fruit and it takes me forever).

Hi all. I'm happy to say I lost 1.6 lbs this week. I really couldn't take another gain, so I am grateful for this loss. Yesterday started off badly: I accidentally poured my 1/4 cup of chili-lime spicy pistachios on my berries and yogurt instead of the 1/4 cup of granola I brought. I couldn't eat it so I had to go to the cafe. I did make a pretty good choice: I got a scramble but I did get potatoes with it. I didn't need to eat much lunch because the scramble kept me full. I met my water intake from yesterday, which is good. We'll see how I do today: I tend to neglect water when at home.

• trooworld
    Options
    Posting my menu for next week for accountability. I will post links where I can.

Chicken Teriyaki Burgers with Sesame Slaw - https://pinchofyum.com/chicken-teriyaki-burgers
    Thai Fried Rice - https://www.skinnytaste.com/thai-fried-rice-575-pts/
    Spring Farro Salad (adding chicken) - https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/spring-farro-salad-recipe/
    Healthy Blue Zone Baked Gnocchi - https://www.foodbymaria.com/baked-gnocchi/
    Beet Salad with Goat Cheese (my own recipe using the beets I grew in my windowbox)
    Philly Cheesesteaks - https://www.seriouseats.com/philly-cheesesteak-recipe-7546830

And a Sam's Club meal of some sort. Probably the orange chicken I bought last week + broccoli.

• fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld Those recipes sound really good. I did a screenshot of the first one and might make that on the grill. That’s funny about mixing up your food, like using cumin instead of cinnamon. Hi, all. I slept really well last night. I feel better except my arthritis is flaring. It’s cloudy here so that might be why. We went swimming this morning and it felt good. Tonight is steak night and Gardeners’ World, a show we watch on Britbox every Friday night.
  • theslightedgeforever
    edited May 10
    Options
    @fabgeekmom there was some kind of children’s show when my kids were younger that had a song in it 🎶fruit salad. Yummy yummy 🎶. Every time I read the words fruit salad that plays in my head
    Yaaay on getting in a workout while you were tired

@trooworld another good day of water for you sorry about the wrong spices on the yogurt on your 1.6 pound loss. You were doing something right so keep it up. So when I close my rings, it makes me feel really good because I’m doing what I intended to do so far three days in a row working on today. Thank you for posting your recipes

Yesterday was good. I drank 85 ounces of water I Walked 27 minutes and my food was it was within boundaries

I’ve been reading this book called self-defeating behaviors. It’s very interesting talking about the science about our choices that we make even the unconscious choices. It explains how we’re always making choices. It talks about new moments of life. so it’s basically starting from right now moving ahead in time is the new moments in your life. the problem I have is inconsistency with going to the gym. logically in my head I know it’s good for me. I feel better when I go to the gym, but for some reason, I don’t always go to the gym when I plan to go to the gym so there must be something there .

So I found two things actually that might be giving me problems in my unconscious mind. Subconscious the book even goes into preconscious,

bad things happen when I go to the gym

OK there are three instances I can think of totally unrelated but in my past number one was I was at the gym and people were around me crying and I found out one of my friends in Bookclub had been killed in a plane crash the night before. number two. I was at the gym when I found out I was pregnant for the third time. I was hoping to wait a couple more years before I got pregnant, but God had other plans number three I was living down in Texas for about three years and one day I was in my upstairs gym and there was a lizard there and I’m deathly afraid of lizards and so I was yelling for my cat to come upstairs to get the lizard, and so the cat came upstairs, but then sat and played with the lizard right in front of the staircase I couldn’t go down so I was trapped in the gym
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    So who knows if these ideas in my brain are keeping me from going to the gym regularly but I'll continue in the book cause he has solutions once you find out your thoughts.

Another thought I came up with: Some of the reasons I have written down are I want to lose weight so I don't get cancer. I want to lose weight so I don't get diabetes. My mother became prediabetic and was told if she didn't lose weight she would become a diabetic. So she lost 70 lbs and became a diabetic anyway. She said to me I wasted my time. Then she got cancer.

So I have to reframe my reasons to I want to lose weight to reduce the risk of getting cancer and diabetes.

I'll keep reading the book.
  • fabgeekmom
    Options
    @theslightedgeforever That’s a lot of think about! Everyone has to find their own reasons for doing what they do. You are making a lot of good choices, and hopefully soon they will be habits and you won’t have to think about doing them. I’m sorry bad things have happened to you at the gym.
  • trooworld
    Options
    @fabgeekmom Thanks! I am thinking I may make that one on the grill as well. Yeah I was not eating that mix-up lol. I'm glad you slept well. I'm sorry about the arthritis flare. Hopefully that swim will help. Good job with that. I hope you had a good Friday night!

@theslightedgeforever Thanks! That's good about the rings. You are welcome. Sounds like Thursday was a fantastic day for you. Those are all very good reasons to have a subconscious fear of going to the gym. These are really great internal observations. Maybe just even acknowledging them will help. Gosh, you are really doing some thought-work. That's great and sounds like you aren't done with it.

Hi all. We are celebrating Mother's Day with my MIL today instead of tomorrow. Did you know that yesterday was Mexican Mother's Day? Here in San Diego, many of the Mexican residents celebrated yesterday. Flower and gift vendors were lining the streets and people walking with bouquets of roses. In my neighborhood, there is a house selling roses. I digress...yes, we are celebrating Mother's Day a day early today. My SIL is getting BBQ from a restaurant we've been wanting to try. We are getting this tuxedo chocolate cake from Sam's Club. I'm making a green salad and my husband is making potato salad. It should be nice. I don't even know if we will want dinner. I drank more water than usual yesterday (32 oz) but half what I need to drink. Baby steps.

Water yesterday: 32 oz

• fabgeekmom
    Options
    @trooworld That was interesting about Mexican Mother’s Day. I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing. Your meal sounds outstanding! You had me at the tuxedo chocolate cake. Hi, all. I feel more rested today as I slept a little longer. I’m going to workout on the bike. My son is making a Frito taco salad for family dinner tonight. It’s a NYT recipe. Tomorrow my cousin is having all of us over for Mother’s Day dinner. She is having beef barbecue, grilled chicken, corn and black bean salsa, potato salad, coleslaw, cornbread and an Oreo cake. Too much food! I will eat small portions. I always joke if you go hungry at her house, it’s your own fault!
  • theslightedgeforever
    Options
    @fabgeekmom You know what they say about bad memories, replace them with good ones. Your cousin's dinner sounds good. Now I'm in the mood for a BBQ.

@trooworld Happy Mexican Mother's Day. I had a friend from England and was surprised to learn they have a different one than we do in May. Then learned that different countries have different ones. Are there any special traditions in the Mexican community? Yum. Potato salad. I might have to make me some.

I'm not doing anything special tomorrow for Mother's Day other than I'll get a group call from my kids. They get on and sing me the song they made up when they were kids.

Yesterday: Walked for 36 min/ 97 oz water/ food tracked and under 236 calories

My AC isn't working. At least I drink more water that way. lol