Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• ConorLS
    Options
    I have decided to start intermittent fasting tomorrow. I'm going to try a 24 hour fast tomorrow to test my mental strength and resolve.

I will be taking the 16 hour fast, 8 hour eat approach for the most part. I'm just wondering how many calories should you consume during that 8 hour period? Should I be consuming my target calories (1,550 - a deficit of 750) or should I eat less?

Edit: Just saw this has been answered above. Posted this before reading the whole thread.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Started this about 4-5 days ago and am pretty much doing the 16/8 - start eating at 1-2pm as I like to be able to eat late.

yesterday i weighed myself and have lost a kilo - now bear in mind I only weigh myself every 4 weeks but i hadnt budged from july to mid sept, so am really wondering if this has been the piece of the puzzle that has helped. of course it could well be a coincidence

I trulu believe it's the fasting. I also do the 16/8. I couldn't believe my weight went down 1.6lb in a week. I've never lost that much in a week and I only started the fast on Monday. I weigh myself every Friday morning. I am also zigzagging my MFP calories.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I have decided to start intermittent fasting tomorrow. I'm going to try a 24 hour fast tomorrow to test my mental strength and resolve.

I will be taking the 16 hour fast, 8 hour eat approach for the most part. I'm just wondering how many calories should you consume during that 8 hour period? Should I be consuming my target calories (1,550 - a deficit of 750) or should I eat less?

Edit: Just saw this has been answered above. Posted this before reading the whole thread.

LOL...almost posted and saw your edit. :drinker: I tried the 24 hour and I'm not that strong...lol. Maybe when I get used to the getting up in the am and not eating for 4-5 hours I'll try it.
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Have been away from home for a couple of days and man oh man my stomach hurts. I have not really been over eating. I just eat one plate full but eating later. My body is use to my last meal for the day being around 3pm and then nothing again until 9 or 10 am next day. Now my supper meals have been around 6pm and have had to go back to taking Zantac for my stomach. Will be glad to get home and get back into my normal routine again. 18/6. I have been extremely happy with my 10 lbs loss for the month.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    So....is a skinny latte breaking my fast? I work shift work and am EXHAUSTED when i work a morning shift (7am start) after finishing at 10pm that night and often at lunchtime have a small skinny latte (so about 3/2 cup skim milk with black coffee, no sugar or sweetener or anything else nasty. Just skim milk and black coffee).
    Is this negating the point of the fast? Or is it ok?
    Thanks-& love ESE btw. I was one of those people who got shaky if they went too long without food (ie 5 hours!), now I can go 18-20 without anything and feel fine.
    People seem to have different views on the coffee thing so not really looking for views but those who have nutritional backgrounds or scientific evidence to back up what they are saying.
    Thanks so much!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    @Bluestar - While I don't have the background you are looking for I believe that my answer is valid. During the fast it is recommended that you keep your caloric intake close to 0 as possible. While having regular coffee will keep you in the single digits calorie wise, a skinny latte will be in the triple digits. If you need the caffeine do the drip. While not as enjoyable it should do the trick in keeping you running. Hope this helps.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Thanks @porkbelly, will try that next time. My skinny latte is 63 calories. So not single digits but not triple either.
    Well next fast is Wed 6pm-Thurs 4pm so will see how it goes with espresso shot (ick)
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So....is a skinny latte breaking my fast? I work shift work and am EXHAUSTED when i work a morning shift (7am start) after finishing at 10pm that night and often at lunchtime have a small skinny latte (so about 3/2 cup skim milk with black coffee, no sugar or sweetener or anything else nasty. Just skim milk and black coffee).
    Is this negating the point of the fast? Or is it ok?
    Thanks-& love ESE btw. I was one of those people who got shaky if they went too long without food (ie 5 hours!), now I can go 18-20 without anything and feel fine.
    People seem to have different views on the coffee thing so not really looking for views but those who have nutritional backgrounds or scientific evidence to back up what they are saying.
    Thanks so much!

I looked around a little on Google Scholar and Pubmed and didn't find anything related the question of exactly how many calories will break a fast. I doubt anyone will be able to give you scientific evidence on this.

I agree with Pork_belly, the ideal is to keep your calories as close to zero as is possible during a fast. Some sources suggest that up to 50 calories is OK, but I personally don't buy it. I drink nothing but water during fasting, and if absolutely necessary I use a zero calorie water sweetener like Mio (which probably does have non-zero calories, just less than 5). I hate the idea of working hard to get my hormones ramped up for fat burning and then getting knocked out of the acceleration phase because I chanced it with calories! I might be a little OCD though :P

Black coffee is very likely safe, as I think it's like 2 calories per cup. You might try unsweetened teas to get some caffeine too, if the black coffee is too much for you. I personally really like black coffee but it's very much an acquired taste!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Martin Berkhan suggests 50cals max. However, keeping closer to zero is obviously the goal :)
  • ConorLS
    Options
    Starting my first ever 24 hour fast in around an hour. Scary prospect because I've never really fasted before, and eat constantly throughout the day.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Thanks @porkbelly, will try that next time. My skinny latte is 63 calories. So not single digits but not triple either.
    Well next fast is Wed 6pm-Thurs 4pm so will see how it goes with espresso shot (ick)

I google researched alot over a week ago and I came across one site that said if it is under 40 calories it is not breaking that fast. Maybe that was from a PT on here? I try not to even do that BUT if I have to I put stevia in my black coffee and then about 2 tbsp almond milk. Tastes yum!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Martin Berkhan suggests 50cals max. However, keeping closer to zero is obviously the goal :)

LOL! Must have been chrsidavey! :drinker:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Starting my first ever 24 hour fast in around an hour. Scary prospect because I've never really fasted before, and eat constantly throughout the day.

24 hour is hard to do the first time but stick with it if thats how you want to do it. if you struggle getting through i would try the 16/8 next time (daily). I try to stop eating nolater than 7 pm and then can eat again at 11 am.
  • ConorLS
    Options
    24 hour is hard to do the first time but stick with it if thats how you want to do it. if you struggle getting through i would try the 16/8 next time (daily). I try to stop eating nolater than 7 pm and then can eat again at 11 am.

Yeah, I'm going to be doing the 16/8 fast for the most part. Just thought I'd start off with a 24 hour fast to see if I can manage it. 16/8 fits in with my lifestyle. I just have to stop eating at 10PM and fast until I finish school at 4PM the next day. Sounds manageable to me.

Will possibly do the occasional 24 hour fast - once or twice a month.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say this is working for me so far. Official weigh in in Tuesday but according to the scale this hour I have lost a pound or so (analog scale hard to read).

It's working because I am able to stick to my daily calorie allotment without going over. No magic in it, just a schedule my mind can wrap around. It's all a mind game with me.

If the studies are correct, fat burning will be a wonderful side benefit. :drinker:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Just checking in to say this is working for me so far. Official weigh in in Tuesday but according to the scale this hour I have lost a pound or so (analog scale hard to read).

It's working because I am able to stick to my daily calorie allotment without going over. No magic in it, just a schedule my mind can wrap around. It's all a mind game with me.

If the studies are correct, fat burning will be a wonderful side benefit. :drinker:

EXACTLY!!! way to go! I love this and it's so natural!
  • nyspotlight
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been reading about IF for a while now and was trying the Eat Stop Eat, but I think that's too confusing for me - I have a tendency to try to push my fast as long as possible, then I feel sick. So I'm gonna try Lean Gains combined with IIFYM.

If you would mind making sure I've done my math correctly... that'd be awesome.

I am 5'6'' 180 pounds. 25, female. I calculated based on measurements vs weight, etc, that my BF % is 27. (hips = 44in, waist = 32in, wrist = 6.25in, forearm = 10in).

Therefore, I should eat 57g fat and 129g fat which MFP calculates at being 35%fat and 35% protein as my macro goals.

Does that sound right? MFP puts my target calories at 1470 before an exercise is put in. After some exercise it will probably rise to 1670-1900 on a daily basis. Obviously, they will raise those macro goals based on percentages, but I'm good to stick to those, right? I calculated the 1470 based on "sedentary" and then will add the exercise.

can someone confirm I've done this correctly? I need something to stick to and think this could be the best for me. Maybe THIS will work. *crosses fingers*
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Someone should have an answer for you like Chrisdavey but I have no idea. Sorry. :(
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I keep doing research ebcause I have been keeping quiet about IF because everyone thinks I'm nuts. it is so ingrained in everyone's minds you must eat breakfast you must eat 5-6 times day. MUST MUST MUST. Found this site amoung others that just keep listing benefit after benefit of IF.

Note: Btw let’s just get this out of the way once and for all: Food and eating frequently has little to no effect on your metabolism. The main factors in having a fast burning metabolism is exercise with weights and movement. That is all…proceed.

From: http://www.thefatlossninja.com/intermittent-fasting/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been reading about IF for a while now and was trying the Eat Stop Eat, but I think that's too confusing for me - I have a tendency to try to push my fast as long as possible, then I feel sick. So I'm gonna try Lean Gains combined with IIFYM.

If you would mind making sure I've done my math correctly... that'd be awesome.

I am 5'6'' 180 pounds. 25, female. I calculated based on measurements vs weight, etc, that my BF % is 27. (hips = 44in, waist = 32in, wrist = 6.25in, forearm = 10in).

Therefore, I should eat 57g fat and 129g fat which MFP calculates at being 35%fat and 35% protein as my macro goals.

Does that sound right? MFP puts my target calories at 1470 before an exercise is put in. After some exercise it will probably rise to 1670-1900 on a daily basis. Obviously, they will raise those macro goals based on percentages, but I'm good to stick to those, right? I calculated the 1470 based on "sedentary" and then will add the exercise.

can someone confirm I've done this correctly? I need something to stick to and think this could be the best for me. Maybe THIS will work. *crosses fingers*

use the katch mcardle formula to determine your BMR then multiply that figure by an activity factor for your maintenance.

then to calculate macros, shoot for a minimum of .3ish g of fat per lb of bodyweight and 1g of pro per lb of lean body mass. fill in the rest of your cals however you like among the macors

fyi:
    pro = 4 cals
    cho = 4 cals
    fats= 9 cals