Why are carbs so bad?

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Like I said, the response to keto diets is highly individial. What part of this are you failing to understand?

Where did I say otherwise?

ppl that in favor of keto or low carb diet should just stop posting in this tread, you guys are beating a dead horse.

let the simple minded follow their " balanced" diet

will we get lean Thick Solid, vascular.

I don't think this guy follows a low carb diet religon like you. Given the choice based on apparent results, I'd have to go with this 8103392_9588_thumb.jpg vs 5762066_2462_thumb.jpg. since you seem to be judging by reuslts.

yeah, i started the KETO 3 weeks ago, but that pic is from early 2011. months ago, but nice try.
    also, i am a powerlifter, there for, actually i had a "balanced" diet with carbs in the pic (standard bulk up diet). come at me when you can deadlift 500lb or squat 400lbs.

follow whatever diet you want lol

My best competition squat was 450lbs (I failed at 500lbs). Best competition dead was 450lbs. This was competing at 165lbs.

I don't qualify anyone's "numbers" unless they are power lifiting rules legal.

I still do powerlifing lifts but no longer desire to be bigger. No point at this stage.

I hope you weigh like 156lbs or something. Even then, those numbers wouldn't win a local powerlifting meet around here.

Futhermore, that avatar (not avi) was taken a year+ ago. But not sure how you can really judge as I'm wearing a sweatshirt. Also I said "the advice I'd follow". Not "I'm better looking than you therefore, my advice has more merit".

Didn't think I used to powerlift now did you? :)
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Did you guys know that a pound of meat weighs more than a pound of carbs?
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    The body breaks down all carbohydrates (except fibers) to a simple form of sugar called "Glucose" and goes into the blood, therefore called "blood sugar". When you eat any carbohydrates, they break down to sugars and finally to Glucose. The Glucose rushes into your blood quickly; in other words, your blood sugar level will rise sharply. Your body makes an instant decision of how much of that pure energy goes for immediate needs and how much will it store. The tool of this decision is Insulin, which regulates the processing of blood sugar.

Insulin does three things to blood sugar:

1. Transports one part of blood sugar to the cells to take care of immediate energy demand. This is a bypass of your own energy production system.

2. Stores another part of blood sugar in carbo-storages in muscles and liver.

3. Converts the leftover blood sugar to fat and stores it as BODY FAT.

Insulin is also a fat storage and locking hormone. In other words, it makes you fat and it keeps you fat.

Carbohydrates trigger Insulin (fat storage).

Proteins trigger Glucagon (fat burning).

How's that for a technical answer? :-)

But if you are in a calorie deficit, doesn't your body just pull from its energy reserves (i.e fat)?
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So...in all fairness what *you* are currently studying may not be the correct info a few years down the road, eh?
    If she got her degree 15 years ago that most likely means she didn't learn the most current info - textbooks/professors change YEARLY while new discoveries/studies are produced practically every day...

lol@ posting your credentials on an internet forum just to make it seem you know something more then everyone else

Sorry, she wins. I'll take her real-life scientific creds over your imaginary internet ones any day. :laugh:
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Face palm..
    Oh well back to eating my carbs
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The body breaks down all carbohydrates (except fibers) to a simple form of sugar called "Glucose" and goes into the blood, therefore called "blood sugar". When you eat any carbohydrates, they break down to sugars and finally to Glucose. The Glucose rushes into your blood quickly; in other words, your blood sugar level will rise sharply. Your body makes an instant decision of how much of that pure energy goes for immediate needs and how much will it store. The tool of this decision is Insulin, which regulates the processing of blood sugar.

1. Transports one part of blood sugar to the cells to take care of immediate energy demand. This is a bypass of your own energy production system.

Insulin is also a fat storage and locking hormone. In other words, it makes you fat and it keeps you fat.

Look at table 4 and pay attention to the protein rich foods and their insulin AUC. compare beef and fish to lets say pasta

An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I went to Wikipedia as my fellow Asian suggested (I can't remember your screen-name). He is right. I am wrong. He is Asian; I am Mexican. Listen to the Asian, folks. Just listen to the Asian.

I may not know WTF I'm talking about sometimes, but at least I look good!
  • tnic86
    Options
    Me too! Yummmm....:D
    Face palm..
    Oh well back to eating my carbs
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

False
    Carbohydrates are rarely converted to fat. DNL is not an efficient system in humans:

http://www.ajcn.org/content/74/6/707.full

Also false:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Inaccurate and misleading.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This article is so, so, so good. Highly recommended.
  • tnic86
    Options
    That's it. I'm going to have to dead lift you all. Get in line in an orderly fashion please.

HAHA!!! :D
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Listen to the Asian, folks. Just listen to the Asian.

alan-trollin.gif
  • tnic86
    Options
    i'm sorry furekurss but i looked at your food diary- there is no way in hell you can convince me that 85 slices of pepperoni for breakfast is healthy in this or any other era of mankind's existence.
    but thanks! i just totally lost my appetite after reading about your "snack" of 2 Tbs of hellman's mayonnaise. actually gotta go brush my teeth cause i just threw up in my mouth a little.
    i'm not arguing against being in a keto state will cause weight loss faster than practically anything else, but there has to be a way to accomplish that with healthier, more natural choices, if you want to be a good example of the diet style you're preaching.

the irony of standing on the soapbox about 'the Paleo Diet' (a way of eating that is suppose to mimic the diets of our hunter-gatherer ancestors) while making choices like what is in your food diary is not lost on most of us.

ps. sorry to poke fun at you but your rudeness and overall just sounding like an internet crazy just brought out the worst in me. i'll probably feel horrible about this post in morning. :( but then again maybe not for i am truly trying to help you- one thing i think we all can easily agree upon is that our ancestors ate organically, it was the only thing available. there was no pepperoni (something that reoccurs on your food dairy daily). the other point is that if you wish to enlighten people to the holy grail that you believe to have found please try to take a different tone. you probably turned more newbies OFF of the Paleo Diet if they happen to read this thread- no one wants the perfect body if every other human on planet avoids them cause of such a horrid attitude (whether that is from the diet or your natural state i do not know, but if you want to be a spokesperson for something- attitude counts!). you and your perfect Paleo body will have a sad lonely life and no one wants that for you.

Hellman's Mayo? SICK! And we are the "simple minded" ones? Yeah...right...

Now, excuse me while I go all caveman and s*** and go hunt up some pepperoni and Hellman's ! Woohoo!

I normally don't post on anything controversial, but your (furekurss) attitude is just disgusting.

*edit: You know, although you may not agree with other's opinion on matters, calling them "simple minded" is a bit out of line and immature. Just my two cents...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Listen to the Asian, folks. Just listen to the Asian.

alan-trollin.gif

^ LOL. And in all seriousness, that's probably the #1 asian to listen to.
  • Mennassey
    Mennassey Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think people just eat too much carbs. But carbs aren't "bad", they are one of our sources of energy, its just some people go overboard.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I LIKE this place...........it's fun.:laugh:
  • tnic86
    Options
    So. to summarize the takeaway messages here....

Weight loss and muscle preservation/building success can be had with and without carbs
    If you limit carbs too severely you may turn into a raging *kitten*
    Paleoman ate a diet rich in cheese and pepperoni
    Paleoman fanboys get very angry when other people eat carbs
    My oatmeal and banana tastes delicious this morning

That's what I've learned from this thread, too. :D
  • tnic86
    Options
    Color me content to be simple-minded, then.

the ususal,

eat "good" fats, stay away from saturated fat,

have "good"carbs,

eat only Lean Proteins.

and eat about 40% cabs, 50% Protein, 10% fats,

you will be fine,

KETO=BAD!!! dont listen to anyone here infavor of such diets!!

Weird...bulls*** has a high carb content but yet you seem to be so full of it? Odd...isn't it?
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Well if you ate 40% cabs, you'd get plenty of iron
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Weird...bull s*** has a high carb content but yet you seem to be so full of it? Odd...isn't it?

Bulls*** is mainly fiber so it doesn't count towards your net carbs.

Stay away from processed bulls***.