WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options

Not a very big list, but doable for me. I get a little overwhelmed if I put too much down. :)

Very smart. I've found that the times I put huge goals out there I tend to get discouraged. Keeping it reasonable and exceeding the goals make it a whole lot more encouraging!
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Great to catch up here while eating my Salad! Congrats to all of you who are loosing and or feeling better. We have a busy weekend ahead, so I'm off and running before the kids come home.

Keep up the great work everyone! I'm inspired even if that ______ scale won't move. I hid it in my closet so I wouldn't get discouraged anymore.

Pump some iron and drink your water! - Happy Weekend all.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a great day! My time with my grandsons went well and we had a good time. It is so fun to have them living in the same town! (If only my other grandson were closer, I would be in heaven on earth.)
    I read all of the posts and think of all of you, but only seem to be able to individually respond to one or two. In my next life, I plan to have more time. :laugh:
    Sherry - I looked at your diary, and it seemed to me that you are eating a fair amount of protein already. It appears that you have set your goal to about 50% protein. Is this what works for you? I doubt that I could get that much in, but if it is what you need, I hope you find a way. Just curious what program you are following. As far as fruit goes, I had never been much of a fruit eater. I finally decided to tackle that, and the only thing that worked for me was to narrow it down to the few fruits that I actually enjoy eating. I started keeping those in stock, and packing it in my lunch, because if I am at work and have no other choice available, and that is what I brought, then I will actually eat it. The fruits that work for me are gala apples, red grapes, fresh pineapple, and peaches and pears when they are in season and actually taste decent to me. I swear that pears have a 30 second window of opportunity when they are really good, outside of that, they are either too crunchy or too mushy for me.

It is once again Friday. My students entered the room playing the Friday song, so I know it is true!

It’s Friday, Friday
    Gotta get down on Friday
    Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
    Friday, Friday
    Gettin’ down on Friday
    Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
    Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
    Fun, fun, fun, fun
    Lookin’ forward to the weekend

Here's hoping that all of you are looking forward to the weekend! Mary
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI~~Adjusting to living with son and family.Very challenging.
    Surgery for knee repair is scheduled for wed at 11.
    Will be glad to get this behind me.
    Have a good week-end.
    hugs
    jane
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello ladies, we are getting some flakes, not sure if we are to get more than 2cm.
    :smile: MEG, hello, not too sure my body counts the housework calories though. Seems it is just a non eventful thing. But at least I am moving.

:smile: JB, HI, I have followed my calories down to the 1000 mark that seems to take some weight down, to loose it on a regular basis though I would be bouncing from 800 to 1000 during the week. At 800 I do not get all the nutrition I need. and at 1000 I get the nutrition but sit on a plateau. So to keep track, I have a list of all food and the nutrients they provide that are important to me, for example the best concentration of calcium, iron, and B vitamins. I can compare other foods nutrient labels with my list to see which foods I can substitute and what are not good enough for me. Until I get a few memorized it feels like I am a list maker forever. My best intake is 875 to 945, that will give me a pound a week or better depending on the water I drink and the activity I do. I also use a protien and vegetable/fruit supplement to drink at lunch. This launches a good flow of nutrients to my body and takes the hunger away so I can concentrate on making a good supper.

:smile: JAKS 97, hello. I love my fruits, and vegetables raw, I get better nutrition and digestion. For added fibre I put a sprinkle of bran buds in my salad, a tsp of fish oil, and olive oil and salad herbs. If you can make up the lack of fruit with different vegetables then you will get your 6-7 servings per day. I used to eat firm tomatoes just like an apple. Keep eating the fruits you like and now and then add a bunch of grapes or banana. Grapes go good in a vegetable salad and banana and peanut butter on melba slices.

Hope all is well here, keep on track, and make the best of it.

Marilyn
  • grumpy2day
    Options
    My goals are to get back to my old eating habits (mostly fish fruits and veggies).

Exercising every day for at least 10 mins leading up to 30 by end of month.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday all!
    One more day with no snow- though the weatherman says it is coming! Finally able to drive after surgery so I took a trip to the mall. I got a few bargains at the Lands End section in Sears. DH went for a walk with me today. It was much easier for me that he had the dog.Only thing was, the dog doesn't pull him! Maybe it was the new longer leash.

Mukamom- so nice to hear you have blooms on your trees. I can't wait, but it will still be another couple months before we see that here.

Michele- Your DH sounds worse than mine in the exercise department.

Meg- you are seeing pollen too? Lucky you. I know you said that you lived in NY for quite a while. So you can appreciate how nice winter has been for us with very little snow. Lake Erie still is not frozen so we still could be in for a lake effect storm. I hope not.
    Jane- good luck on your surgery
    Davetecsgirl_ hope you get over the flu quickly
    Abqann- you are 1/3 of the way to your goal. Keep it up!
    Nancy- I think you got the better deal watching the 6th graders, rather than having to go to the dance. I spent way too many times at 7th grade dances, then I moved up to high school dances. Though the kids were a bit calmer, we had to make sure they weren't crawling down each others throats.

Hope everyone has a healthy week-end.

Lynn
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :mad: No, the pounds do not come flying off. That is not how it works for women over a certain age. Skinny people will never understand!!!
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i started in January. It was a slow start, I lost 4 pounds and gained back one. I am hoping for 4 pounds in February. This week I lost the pound I gained back and one more. So I am down 6 pounds now. I know at age 62 this won't be quick, but I am trying to change for good. I wish all of us luck.
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ok so tonite I came home and measured myself. My neck has gone down 1/2 inch, my biggest part I hate because I have no chin I have one FAT Neck....my waist says 3/4" down, hope I measured in the same place as last time, and my hips 2 1/2 inches since Jan 28. Can exercise really make that much difference since I am mad at the scale, but I do feel different, will try on a pair of jeans tomorrow and see how they fit.

A new week starts again.

Sherry
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For better sleep I take prescription medicines, Valerian Root by Sundown, Nature Made Sleep, and Melatonin. I have had insomnia for years and most of the time this here works for me.

During high stress - like today... I have trouble falling asleep and often wake around 3:00am unable to fall back to sleep. I find Boron's Quietude homeopathic works great. Non addictive and I will sleep through the night. If I need to wake early (I've got young teens) I never wake up drowsy, just rested.
    I to take melatonin work rotating shifts. I'm not drowsy when I get up.
    Joyce
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,361 Member
    Options
    Meg - one thing I did find out the first year we lived in NC and there was a snowstorm. That's the BEST time to go shopping -- you gets lots and lots of help. There's no one else in the store....lol Of course, the people down here have no clue whatsoever how to drive in the snow. Was it last year that we got 10" of snow? Or maybe it was the year before...I forget. Anyway they "plowed" the roads. After they "plowed" there were places where I knew there were lanes, but they weren't plowed. When they plowed our development, I tell you that at times the guy doing the plowing went off the road....lol

jb - I've found FOR ME that if I add in my exercise calories, I will never lose, and sometimes I'll even gain! By not adding them in (but still exercising), I can manage to stay the same. If I want to lose, I can't eaat anything at night (after about 9). That's just me.

issyfit - I've used the Y for their showers whenever we don't have electricity (or water). That really hasn't happened here since we're on city water. But when we were in PA we had a well. There was a time when we were without electricity for 5 days! Yes, I had to throw out a lot of food. But that's when going to the Y for a shower certainly came in handy.

davetecsgirl - hope you get better real fast

Nancy - are the bathing suits from Lands End chlorine resistant? How are the prices? I'm very hesitant to buy any clothing over the net, I like to try it on. What is their return policy? If the bathing suit doesn't fit me, do I have to pay to ship it back to them? I especially like to try on bathing suits. Sometimes they look so very nice on the hanger (or on the model) but look awful on me!

jaks - some good sources of protein that aren't real high in calories are tuna, egg whites, cottage cheese, I get a beef jerky that is high in protein but only something like 50 calories. The cottage cheese is something like 90, egg whites are something like 20 each, a can of tuna is around 100.

kackie - I love living vicariously thru you. Keep posting, please!

Went to deep water class today. Tomorrow is yoga, then off to the farmers market. Today I went to deep water, then played mahjongg (I maj'd once!), then went for a massage, bought gas, then home for a little bit, then bowled 4 games, then to Aldi's to see if they have the pizza Vince likes (which they didn't), then to Office Max to get name tags for Newcomers. They were on sale so I bought 12 packages of 100. I'll go back tomorrow and get 12 more. Honestly, I don't think I'll go back to this lady for a massage. She was good and all, but I had to wait almost 10 weeks to get an appointment! Things came up and I wish I had time to do other things, but if I cancelled it would probably be another 10 weeks before I could get an appointment. I remember that there's this massage school around here and they give massages for a nominal fee. At least it's closer to me AND I won't have to wait 10 weeks!

jane - prayers for you that your surgery goes well.

Sherry - exercise can most certainly make the difference in how your clothes fit and losing inches, even if the scale doesn't show a loss. Keep it up!

Made brownies for Vince tonight. I had this recipe for a chocolate icing that I wanted to try so I put that on top of the brownies. I made them from scratch. I have a feeling that they are going to be somewhat "cakey". I'm always trying new recipes, so we'll see how this is. The recipe for the icing is from his mother.

Gonna get off the computer, watch some TV, and then get to bed.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • dtucker3800
    dtucker3800 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Does it sound incredibly lame to say that my goals for February are to lose 2 pounds? It has taken me 8 months to lose 25 pounds. Is that too slow? I am eating 1200 calories a day and trying to walk 10,000 steps and 2 pounds a month is all I can muster now...
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Hi everyone!!!!! :flowerforyou:

I have not posted since last Friday and I'm trying to catch up with all the reading!!! :tongue:
    Last week I stuck with my new plan for February and guess what??? I have no more excuses not to loose the rest of my weight!!!:wink::wink:
    I lost 4 pounds that I had gained, but then we had THE super bowl party!!! :bigsmile: :grumble: :bigsmile: :grumble:
    So back to the drawing board!! :laugh:
    This week went well and I'll see how I did tomorrow!! Report will follow!! :happy:
    Hope everybody is doing well and hanging in there! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Desiree
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    What an awesome group of women on here. I've never posted until today.

My goals for March are:

Lose 5 more pounds
    Learn to stretch
    Move more

Not a very big list, but doable for me. I get a little overwhelmed if I put too much down. :)

Thanks for a great spot. I turned 51 in January. I so want to be healthy and be able to move.

745779.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Keep coming back.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I can't remember who was having problems with mice, but I remember reading about trapping them and whatnot. Sure would be fun if whoever it was could see this profile pic I'm using. I found it online today and thought it was just the cutest thing. I immediately thought of the mouse trapping horror stories on here, lol.

Nighty night
    :^) jb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou: Viv, I have a long list of foods that I don’t eat, even in moderation, because I don’t know how to eat them moderately
    bread and candy are two of them.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, you are an amazing event planner……the day with the big cats sounds fabulous.

:flowerforyou: Salad Sistas……the closest we got was an omelet with chopped sweet onion, half a green pepper and a big tomato.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I love my HRM and agree that the calorie count makes much more sense especially for “stop and start” activities like skiing for you and line dance for me….I agree with you about children being encouraged to do too many inappropriate things for their ages……I saw so much of that when I was teaching grade one.

:bigsmile: SuzyQ, a full body massage…..what a treat.

:flowerforyou: Jane, I will continue to think positive thoughts for you and a good solution to your aches and pains when you have your surgery on Wednesday.

:flowerforyou: Angie, glad to hear that you are recovering well

:flowerforyou: Pam, good luck on your packing…..we’ve been in our house for six months and I clearly remember the positives and negatives of the packing experience.

:flowerforyou: Eileen, I have been a non drinker for years so I haven’t been fighting the question of drinking and counting calories…….since I’ve been on my weight loss journey, I’ve been very conscious of only consuming nutrition dense food and wine doesn’t fit that category.

:flowerforyou: Sherry, making your own blended smoothies with almond milk and fruit will add fruit to your day……also getting away from processed foods as much as possible and eating frozen or fresh instead of canned.

:flowerforyou: Kackie, some of the best walks I’ve taken have been in airports during long lay-overs. My carry-on bag is a backpack so I can easily keep it with me and a have an mp3 player with a Bluetooth earbud so I can listen to music while I walk.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: My day has been super busy…….dog walking in the AM followed by line dance class, haircut, lunch, some preparation for dinner, and then off to line dance practice for the performance next week, then home to fix dinner, and now I’m contemplating going to bed early. I did yoga and strength training yesterday and am still keeping up with the 100 squats a day challenge.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

:bigsmile: My life today is so great today it should have background music

February goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy.
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 squats a day
    *strength training two days a week (three would be better)
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hope all is going well with everyone.Went to ortho dr.Hopefully,he`ll be able to schedule surgery for next wed or thurs.
    Should find out more in the am.
    Have a good night.
    HUGS
    jane
    Best wishes hope you can get knee taken care of.
    Joyce
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. Home Show this weekend and my husband wants to go and dream. He has his heart set on a home improvement of some sort. It will be fun but in the end I always end up being the voice of reason. lol Of course if it were a quilt show he'd be telling me I really didn't need that fabric... lol

Yesterday was a tough day around here. My daughter is a week away from her due date with her first child and ... well, it just wasn't a good day. All is well but I'm mentally exhausted.