People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but there has to be a way. I routinely delete friends who do not eat 1000 calories a day.

Sorry, that was supposed to be in my reply above
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp?

Yes, and I do often.

Send Steven a link to their profile. Put Pro-ANA in the subject line. He's very diligent about responding.

And before anyone jumps in my *kitten* about it... there is a difference between working toward recovery and promoting it!

^^This. There are site rules about promoting ana/mia. Steven is smart enough to figure out who is in recovery and who is promoting. From my experience, if you report someone Steven will then have a private conversation with them. They are not automatically deleted.

*Edited to add that I also have reported those who I have seen actively seeking out others with ED for the sole purpose of getting "tips" or ideas. I would never report someone just b/c I *think* they have a problem. THAT is most certainly none of my business.
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    wow people on here are *kitten*. is it really necessary to jump down the op's throat wtf
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp?

Yes, and I do often.

Send Steven a link to their profile. Put Pro-ANA in the subject line. He's very diligent about responding.

And before anyone jumps in my *kitten* about it... there is a difference between working toward recovery and promoting it!

I'm recovered from bulimia but relapse sometimes, and find support from my friends on here. Should I be banned too?

Are you promoting bulimia as a way to lose weight? Read what she said before getting defensive.
  • hewwokitty
    hewwokitty Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just to throw this in here, I do still struggle with anorexia. A lot. I started to relapse about a week ago. My MFP account hadn't been touched for almost a month, and here I am today because my friends support me.
    Also, she didn't say they were posting pro ED threads, just that their profiles had their goals set that way. I dunno. This is like who came first, the chicken or the egg?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

Absolutely agree.

There is absolutely nothing any of us can do to help.

You're right... but we can prevent their influence from spreading. There are plenty of other places on the interwebz for people that DO NOT want to get better. They can go there.

This is a great place for people TRYING (and maybe not always succeeding) to get better. But promotion of wanting to see their spines and count their ribs has no place here.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Okay, no one is "giving" someone else a disorder. You could always set a good example if you wanted to. I may not eat "clean" but I remain thin on over 2000 calories daily, maybe seeing that helps someone that's struggling. Hopefully it does. :smile:

Oh, after providing therapeutic yoga in several eating disorder programs I've made many lifelong friends in those communities. Some seem to promote it (even though they're supposedly "pro-recovery"), some don't, but they all seem to worry a lot less about food than we do here at MFP. Maybe the members bothering you just like the idea of being disordered? If so, once again, set the example. I don't believe you can do much more, just be there as a friend and accept them. :smile:
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think we should ban people who pass judgment on others. :)

This. Absolutely this.
    Obviously there are rules and those who struggle with eating disorders and unhealthy eating habits don't necessarily coincide with these rules. However, is it justifiable to ban them simply because their goals are different than yours? They need help, just like the rest of us.
    It is shameful to read these hateful comments. So shame on you.

If it really bothers one that bad, that obviously says a lot about that person's character and insecurities.
    Grow up.

I'm not here to debate this any further and I will not be checking replies, because this argument is completely and undeniably insignificant.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Look, it isn't about judging other people here and shouldn't be. You never know enough about another person or situation to pass judgment, however it is spelled out pretty clearly in the guidelines of MFP that pro-ana is not okay and is not what this site is about. I don't go snooping through other peoples profiles, but anyone starting a group or posting along the lines of pro-ana should expect to be kicked off.
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    I think as long as they are not actively trying to persuade another to become anorexic or giving tips, then leave them be. Worry about them, sure, but getting them banned/deleted etc. could have a serious negative impact on their lives and massively affect their future potential for recovery.
  • hewwokitty
    Options
    Look, it isn't about judging other people here and shouldn't be. You never know enough about another person or situation to pass judgment, however it is spelled out pretty clearly in the guidelines of MFP that pro-ana is not okay and is not what this site is about. I don't go snooping through other peoples profiles, but anyone starting a group or posting along the lines of pro-ana should expect to be kicked off.
    Agreed. She said it was her profile, not a thread. By the way, your dog is adorable LOL.
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Geez, if someone's ill we should ban them? What about the illness that causes people to become overweight? What about my depression? What about ANY other kind of physical or mental illness - is the point of this site really to block out people who need help?

Sometimes I feel like people need to stop focusing on their own health so much that they are rude to or think we should exclude people that they don't deem worthy of joining the journey. These people aren't hurting you unless you choose to interact with them and that affects you, and it's not going to help them to block them out of a healthy community, so why would you want to ban them? Disallowing posts that advocate unhealthy lifestyles is one thing, but trying to ban people because they struggle with their OWN lifestyle is a little heartless, isn't it? They are people too. Not so different from the rest of us.
  • rcamp1989
    Options
    Anorexia is a body dysmorphic disorder, which means they do not see how they actually appear. Anorexia is a psychological illness which can lead to illness, and even death. They need help and counseling.
  • MissBettyBoop2
    MissBettyBoop2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from eating disorders and go on pro-anorexic sites for tips and ideas. I was hospitalized, medicated, and even almost had a feeding tube shoved up my nose (if that doesn't make you start to eat, I don't know what will), but honestly, the sites didn't make me anorexic or bulimic or any sicker than I already was. It was actually comforting to know that there were others out there like me--sick as we all were. I certainly don't think it's appropriate to have pro-eating disorder sites or topics here at MFP, but I also wouldn't worry about getting them kicked off MFP or getting their profiles deleted. They aren't going to "give" someone an eating disorder that doesn't already have one or won't already get one at some point.

Eating disorders (especially the "pro-ana/mia" community) have nothing to do with food or weight, and everything to do with control, manipulation, low self-esteem, insecurity, fear, and rebellion. It's very sad, but it's also not going to hurt anyone who isn't already hurting. Getting their profiles deleted would probably just fuel the fire for them to keep doing what they're doing.

It's just a shame a place that is for health and fitness is polluted with such sick people... but so is the workplace, the mall, the gym, school and every where else.

I'm just so grateful that I have made it to the other side.

Very well stated...

And glad you're doing better...
  • hewwokitty
    Options
    Anorexia is a body dysmorphic disorder, which means they do not see how they actually appear. Anorexia is a psychological illness which can lead to illness, and even death. They need help and counseling.
    Body dismorphic disorder is a seperate disease. I have this, which causes me to relapse into ana again.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I tried to start a 'former' anorexic topic on here and no one replied. I'm now sure it's because it was TABOO on this site. All I wanted to do is talk to other REFORMED anorexics and how they coped with not getting back into poor eating habits.
    I was down to 98 lbs when I was anorexic and I got up to 170 over the years. I'm now down to 160 and have lost it in a safe way. I was in no way promoting it, just trying to see if any other people had issues, such as going back to old habits when changing their eating and lifestyle and how they coped with it.
    I know it's a life long issue and I never had professional help for it but, I really don't see how you could 'talk' someone into being anorexic. It just doesn't happen. No more so than you can talk someone into being bi-polar. It's a mental disorder and I don't think that anyone should be banned from a healthy website like this for it just like someone who is 500+ lbs shouldn't be banned for gorging themselves on a whole cake. We are human for pete's sake. Instead of stalking profiles to see who is anorexic, work on your own. And before you start bashing my public profile and what I eat or don't eat.. I eat more than what is logged on here, it's just healthy snacks that I eat after dinner. I keep it public because I feel it makes me accountable for eating healthy food and the right amt. of it.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE IT BEARS REPEATING....

People do not get booted off of the site just b/c they appear to have an ED, nor even if they are promoting an ED, even if they are reported. The mods WILL however (to my understanding) do their own research and have a private conversation with anyone who is reported for actively PROMOTING EDs.

It's not a witch hunt. It's about not giving access to a forum to those who seek to cause harm with their habits.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Isn't overeating a disorder?

Is it really up to us to decide who is wrong and who is right, who should be here and who shouldn't?
    I'm really not into policing other's actions/behavior...Do what you want. What makes you happy.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    It's almost comical how so many of you are so quick to pass judgement on the OP, that you continually miss the word "A D V O C A T E" (eating disorders).

There is a huge difference between a true 'disease' and just trying to be fashionable.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Isn't overeating a disorder?

Awww yeah. Success!! :drinker: