Personal trainer wanting to help:)

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Hello Nate,

Since you offered.

I have some questions regarding the lower back.

1. What are "good" abdominal exercises that will not damage the lower back? In addition, Are there any exercises to help strengthen the lower back?

2. Stretching, do you recommend deep yoga still stretching? If so, before or after a workout (or both before and after)?

Note: I train in Martial Arts (Capoeira & Jeet Kune Do). My flexibility is better than average. However, last November I started on a dumbell oriented strength training program and since the beginning of the year I find that my flexibility has diminished and after almost every workout (Martial Arts or weights) my lower back is sore.

Thanks for the offer and thanks for any feedback you can offer.

Kyle
  • anne018
    anne018 Posts: 33 Member
    Hi Nate. Thanks so much for helping everybody! I have lost over 20 lb. and I have another 40 lb. to go before I get to my goal weight.... But ive reached a nasty plateau for the past 2 weeks :( ive been going for runs every day and I gave up chocolates cakes candies white bread peanut butter ice cream ( im taking the 21 day challenge). Do you have any advice on how to pass a plateau? Because they sucks and are very discouraging.
    Thanks again for the help
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    I am right there with you...And on the 4th week. I have been working with my trainer 2 days/week, and doing the C25K on the other days...We have been using foam rollers to work on the soreness, and I have been icing the shin splints. I hope this helps some. I have signed up for my first 5k, too, at the end of March. Good luck and add me if you'd like :)
  • SassyJuliana
    SassyJuliana Posts: 96 Member
    You are sweet for doing this! Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Hi Nate!

Thanks for this posting. I have a question about running. I am training for a 1/2 marathon and had been running/walking 3 miles easily. Over a month I made it up to 9 miles at one time (very slow 14 minute mile) and have found my adductor (groin area) is killing me! I have lessened my mileage back to 5 a day (3 times a week) and run around 12 minute miles which has seemed to help. What is the best way to strengthen my leg muscles to run longer distances? I don't have any calf or shin splint issues.

FYI - I do not consider myself a runner at all but I have made it my New Year's resolution and really want to be able to complete the 1/2 in September.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    bump
  • is there a good way to measure body fat at home? I would like to loose a few more pounds, but i am very curvy, do i don't know that i can without insane amounts of work. I work out 4-5 days a week for about an hour and mostly eat healthy. I would like to base my decision as to whether or not i need to loose more based on a healthy body fat percent. I had them do it at my gym with calipers and measurements, but they were big fat liars. i look their numbers and plugged them in formulas myself and got like 22%, where they told me 30%. i am 5'7" and hover around 145. Thanks!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    What exercises would you recommend to shrink your upper arms?

The corset of my wedding dress sucks in my belly and the poofyness hides my thighs, but my arms need some work. Any advice?

Thanks!
  • stephzub
    stephzub Posts: 106 Member
    bump
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    In general, should people be eating less than their BMR daily? If so, for how long is that safe?

Not ideally. your bmr is your cals you burn just to live, this doesnt account for any activity at all. If you go very low like a 1000cals you risk running into electrolyte and hormonal problems. When I cut I make sure to eat at least 2000 with about 300-400 cals of cardio 5 days a week.Also, if you reduce your cals too much you will lose muscle, and the less muscle you have the easier it is for you to put on fat.

Thank you. Can we make this a sticky?
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge and support. Any suggestions for us women who want to tone our upper body with out the bulk of a body builder. What exercises and weight should we be using?

Bump to follow thread.
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Bump to follow
  • SAHoeppner
    SAHoeppner Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! I'm new here and I do have a question about exericse. I have a lot of trouble with thoracic outlet syndrome (both shoulders) and was wondering if you might suggest some alternate moves for someone who is giving circuit training her best shot. Thanks so much, hope you're having a great day :)