what is the ideal age to get engaged/married?

Options

Replies

• 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I am a born again bible beleiver so I believe that premarital sex is a sin so my opinion is 18, as long as you find another person that is about cometment it can work getting married young, my in laws married at 17 and they are solif as a rock,

I got married at 22 goto find the right one
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    At one point I would have said never. However, now I'd say late 20's or early 30's....
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i got engaged when i was 24, married when i was 25, and now i'm the ripe old age of 26 :laugh:

seriously though, i thought i'd never get married until i was AT LEAST 30, but then i met husband and he was most definitely MY husband :heart: it's all about being ready and meeting the right person, in my opinion.
  • denveralexis
    denveralexis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i'll think about it when im 320

haha that made me giggle :laugh:
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I do totally and completely echo the sentiment that it all depends on the person. I know people who are contemplating marriage in their early 20s and I cringe, and others who I'm over the moon for. Some people are clearly ready, some are not and just think they are. However, it doesn't really matter what I think anyway! Their life, not mine.
  • sharibob3
    sharibob3 Posts: 180
    Options
    NEVER........but if you REALLY want to id say mid 20s

The NEVER part was the first thing that came to my mind!! ;-)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of things. Putting a specific time line on it will only make you more likely to settle for someone who isn't your soul mate.

But, in an ideal, perfect situation, mid-20's is a good age. That way you're young and healthy and the risks of genetic disorders in your children is minimal.
  • christenapanzone
    christenapanzone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think I'm glad I haven't married yet. I'm 29 and the right person hasn't come along. Bottom line..it's when you are ready. I have to agree with some of the other posts about it being late 20's into your 30's though. My pre 25 self would have been divorced quickly.
  • cindycoley19
    cindycoley19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It depends on the relationship in my opinion, however the older the better for maturity and life experiences that mold you into who you are as an adult.
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Got married at 19. Both of us can acknowledge we could have waited. We were in a big damn hurry.

Still happy. :)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Hello, I got married young but I wouldnt trade it for anything.. it honestly depends on the person & when they find the one.. I got engaged at 18 and got married at 20.

but you are still 20. so yeah. um. i'd hope you'd still be happy.

:laugh: :laugh:

I have been with my husband for 6 years..I will be 21 in a month.. I am very happy.. you say you have been divorced how many times? I would say you need to look into youself before you start pointing fingers and making judgments ;)

Creepy.

What's creepy?
    Sounds like they were high school sweethearts and got married when she was 20.

Sorry I read it as married 6 years ago, so at 15.
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    mid to late 30s
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I would say mid 20's.

I was 20 and my hubby was 23 when we started dating.....23 and 27 when we got married five years ago. Still happy and going strong, planning on kids in a few years :)
  • gordonfitch
    gordonfitch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a born again bible beleiver so I believe that premarital sex is a sin so my opinion is 18,

I don't remember reading in the Bible that you should marry at 18?
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I worry about those who have a plan- married by this age, baby by this age. My son's gf has such a plan and I'm concerned she's more in love with the idea of being married and planning a wedding than she is about marriage. I think having a plan is only setting yourself up to be disappointed when it doesn't work out like you thought it would.

I was engaged and living together at 20. Married at 23 and still together at 46. For myself, the day after I got married was exactly the same as the day before - if you think it's going to be different, then you're not at the right age!
  • Megclark37
    Megclark37 Posts: 111
    Options
    lovin these answers! cannot believe how many people are against marriage, hm.
  • TiffanyDeanee
    Options
    Personally I AM going to wait until after I am 30 and see from there. I'm 22 now and I get tired of dating the same guy after about a year and that even depends on how exciting and fun he stays. So it would be horrible for me to get married in my 20's, get bored with my husband, then ask for a divorce.
  • kellyo15
    kellyo15 Posts: 51
    Options
    It all depends on the relationship! I'd say the best guideline is when you're both ready, mature enough and somewhat stable financially and career-wise. We started dating when I was 18 and he was 21. Always knew we'd marry each other someday, but thought that if we were going to be together forever then there is no need to rush into anything. Got engaged after 6 years, (at 25 for me) and we are getting married 4 months from today! I'll be 26 and he will be 29 and we'll be close to the 8-year mark by then. :)
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i wanna say 26-27 (3-4 years from now for me personally) i dont wanna be 30 years old playing house and i cant possibly see myself getting married now fresh outta school still deciding on a career
  • SilmaraC
    SilmaraC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It really depends...
    I was engaged at 21 and married right before my 23rd bday. We had dated for 7 years by the time we got married so although we were young, we already knew each other very well. With that being said, we have changed/grown a lot since we got married but luckily we're still going strong 5 years later. Marriage is not easy. It is hard work, every single day.