Let's talk about...the Paleo Diet

Options

Replies

• Casey1982
    Casey1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think the idea of it makes sense (for the most part)...but I know that I cannot personally give up total food groups. As soon as I tell myself I can't have something, I instantly start to crave it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    And if you did the research, about 50% of ad lib studies do show greater fat loss on low carb diets, but 50% do not. Then take a look at calories being tightly controlled and the vast majority show no difference in fat loss. So in your opinion what does the current body of evidence point towards that there is a metabolic advantage or there is not?

The advantage isn't from a caloric stand point, it's from a satiety stand point. Which does result in a lower caloric consumption.

The bolded portion clearly shows that this is not necessarily the case.

I am saying sure they can consume the same calories, but how full are they? Are any of them force feeding themselves to meet the caloric limit? In the studies that don't have tightly controlled calorie limits, are probably just eating until they are satisfied. In the tightly controlled calorie limits, they might be force feeding themselves to reach the calorie limit.

Come on PU, reading comprehension. Read the part about ad lib studies again
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    The advantage isn't from a caloric stand point, it's from a satiety stand point. Which does result in a lower caloric consumption.
    I think this is why it works better for some than others. I have no doubt that eating more fat makes some people feel more satisfied. However, that is not the effect it has on me. I feel better and fuller if I get more food in my belly, regardless of the fat content. When I eat a high-fat diet, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. Hence, a 50/25/25 ratio is a superior way of eating for ME. No matter how many times someone tells me eating more fat will make me feel more satiated, it still doesn't make it true.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It works for me, I like it. I work with a woman who has lost 80 pounds on the Ornish Diet (vegetarian, ultra-low-fat). She felt gross everytime she ate meat - I friggin love it. Everyone's body is going to respond differently. No use arguing though guys ;)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing some people don't know what "ad lib study" means. I didn't without looking it up:
    Ad lib: Abbreviation for the Latin "ad libitum" meaning "at pleasure" and "at one's pleasure, as much as one desires, to the full extent of one's wishes." Sometimes seen on a prescription or doctor's order. For example, during an overnight fast when the patient is not to eat any food but can have water, the doctor's order might read: "Water ad lib" (water as desired).

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=6984
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Somebody has to protect the little frail grass eaters. I guess I'm a caveman.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    HDL, Triglycerides, LDL, Total cholesterol, Blood Glucose ... has this been talked about. Doesn't the Paleo lifestyle improve the numbers almost always? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of this. At least enough for it to be considered.

There is more to health than what you see in the mirror when you are 25 years old.
  • Acg67
    Options
    HDL, Triglycerides, LDL, Total cholesterol, Blood Glucose ... has this been talked about. Doesn't the Paleo lifestyle improve the numbers almost always? There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of this. At least enough for it to be considered.

There is more to health than what you see in the mirror when you are 25 years old.

Doesn't losing weight tend to show improvements in blood markers of health? This was actual a question I posed in the OP, are there are studies or at least what do you think the outcome would be on blood markers of health on two calorie and macro matched diets, but one only contained Paleo foods and the other did not?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I think this is why it works better for some than others. I have no doubt that eating more fat makes some people feel more satisfied. However, that is not the effect it has on me. I feel better and fuller if I get more food in my belly, regardless of the fat content. When I eat a high-fat diet, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. Hence, a 50/25/25 ratio is a superior way of eating for ME. No matter how many times someone tells me eating more fat will make me feel more satiated, it still doesn't make it true.

Fat also has a little effect on me in terms of satiety. I just feel fuller eating more protein, the leaner it is the less calories it has.So he more volume I can consume.

Fat has a high satiety factor with me. I can consume coffee with a tablespoon of coconut milk and a tablespoon of coconut oil and be fine until around 1 or 2 pm. And I drink my coffee with my husband at 5:30 in the morning.

I am usually forcing myself to eat lunch around 11:30 or 12:00 so that I will want supper later in the evening.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    But how many pounds of boiled potatoes would you have to eat to reach 10,000 calories? :bigsmile:

I got 25, how many people do you know that eat boiled potatoes without anything on them?
    I don't know about other people, but I eat them with just salt and pepper.

Same here....boiled in chicken stock.
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    Remember this isn't to unnecessarily bash or praise the Paleo diet but to have an objective discussion about it

But, why pick the Paleolithic era? If the reason is to lose weight and avoid the diseases of civilization, why not emulate a Roman peasant? They sure weren't running around with diabetes, AND they got to eat a lot of bread.

How about a serf in the Middle Ages? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7148534.stm

Perhaps a modern, naan eating Afghan? http://m.npr.org/news/Health/132745785

People say, "well, we didn't evolve to eat [wheat/dairy/whatever]." It doesn't seem like an adequate argument. Paleolithic era people hadn't evolved at that point to read, either, and yet no one is giving that up.

A lot of the antinutrients in grains that people are so alarmed about are actually antioxidants that have beneficial effects, including possible cancer prevention. One example is phytic acid. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/1097-0142(19850815)56:4<717::AID-CNCR2820560402>3.0.CO;2-4/abstract

I'm not convinced at all that avoiding legumes and grains is unhealthful at all.

Man, this is my favorite thing that is.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I'll admit I haven't had my BW checked since I lost weight, but all of those numbers were perfect at my heaviest 2 years ago @ 38 years old, so I have no reason to believe they would have gotten worse with improved fitness.

I don't even bother with salt on my boiled or baked potatoes. Just a sprinkle of pepper. Although my favorite way would be loaded with bacon, chives, cheese and ranch dressing instead of sour cream.
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    Paleo diets haven’t yet drawn the attention of many researchers, so to demand statistics and studies is pointless. We have anecdotal evidence (people making a change in their diet and seeing results), we have theory, we have books. So, unless you are willing to consider those the conversation is pointless.

What if the thread were on cell phones causing cancer. Or better yet, increasing the risk for cancer. I bet we could fill up pages upon pages of opinions and links and pasted "data". Yet, the The National Cancer Institute;s own website states "Studies thus far have not shown a consistent link between cell phone use and cancers of the brain, nerves, or other tissues of the head or neck. More research is needed because cell phone technology and how people use cell phones have been changing rapidly." So, the jury is still out on something very popular to debate like cell phones and their dangers.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options

Fat also has a little effect on me in terms of satiety. I just feel fuller eating more protein, the leaner it is the less calories it has.So he more volume I can consume.

Fat has a high satiety factor with me. I can consume coffee with a tablespoon of coconut milk and a tablespoon of coconut oil and be fine until around 1 or 2 pm. And I drink my coffee with my husband at 5:30 in the morning.

I am usually forcing myself to eat lunch around 11:30 or 12:00 so that I will want supper later in the evening.
    This just confirms for me that variety truly is the spice of life. I think it's awesome you've found a way that works for you and makes you feel good. For me, eating food I love is one of the greatest pleasures in life, so my philosophy is "eat early, eat often." :tongue: I've figured out a way to make that work for me. In my most amazing fantasies, I'd be able to add "in unlimited quantities" to that, but that's where I've had to make adjustments.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Paleo diets haven’t yet drawn the attention of many researchers, so to demand statistics and studies is pointless. We have anecdotal evidence (people making a change in their diet and seeing results), we have theory, we have books. So, unless you are willing to consider those the conversation is pointless.

What if the thread were on cell phones causing cancer. Or better yet, increasing the risk for cancer. I bet we could fill up pages upon pages of opinions and links and pasted "data". Yet, the The National Cancer Institute;s own website states "Studies thus far have not shown a consistent link between cell phone use and cancers of the brain, nerves, or other tissues of the head or neck. More research is needed because cell phone technology and how people use cell phones have been changing rapidly." So, the jury is still out on something very popular to debate like cell phones and their dangers.

That's a fair point, but I think the intent behind this post is different than you may be interpreting.

It's not "prove to me that your diet works"
    But rather "I would be willing to consider this diet if I could see more definitive research on the matter. I haven't been able to find any that convince me and I'm wondering if anyone else has information that they'd be willing to share"

At least that's the way I think Acg meant it. And since I'm clearly Acg I can totally talk for him.
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    Well, found this with some Googling.

**University of California San Francisco School of Medicine**
    Metabolic and physiologic improvements from consuming a paleolithic, hunter-gatherer type diet.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19209185?dopt=Abstract

Published Research
    http://thepaleodiet.com/published-research
  • Acg67
    Options
  • Acg67
    Options

That's a fair point, but I think the intent behind this post is different than you may be interpreting.

It's not "prove to me that your diet works"
    But rather "I would be willing to consider this diet if I could see more definitive research on the matter. I haven't been able to find any that convince me and I'm wondering if anyone else has information that they'd be willing to share"

At least that's the way I think Acg meant it. And since I'm clearly Acg I can totally talk for him.

Close, it was to examine the claims that the Paleo diet was the diet for optimal health. What are such claims based on? If there is evidence to support such an assertion I'd like to study it and in the process expand my knowledge on the subject. Specifically I wanted to look at the rationale and evidence behind the exclusion of grains, legumes and dairy.

So back to BAM, if this is a new diet and doesn't have much published research on it, in your opinion if you took 2 identical diets and match calories and macros but one diet contains only so called Paleo foods and the other includes both Paleo foods and the foods it excludes, what differences do you think we'd see between them on blood markers of health, weight loss etc?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Do you have these studies for us to look at, because I haven't found any. All the studies I've seen that show an advantage for low carb were either very short term (12 weeks or less) which can be explained by water weight loss due to glycogen restriction, or had higher protein levels for the low carb diet, which then leads to the obvious confounder of was it lower carbs or higher protein that led to the advantage? All studies I've read that lasted a year and controlled for protein and total calories have shown no advantage for either type of diet. And, other than the studies that have used diabetic test subjects, none of the studies I've read have shown any health advantages for lower carb diets, either. So if you have studies that prove otherwise, I'd love to see them.

So you ask me to do your homework, BUT put restrictions on what "studies" you will accept. Sorry I have played this game before. No one is so blind as one that will not see.

In other words, since I won't let you just cherry pick the studies that agree with your point of view, you don't actually have any studies to show anybody, just the mysterious phantom "some studies" phrase, but you don't actually have any real evidence. Gotcha.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Well, found this with some Googling.

**University of California San Francisco School of Medicine**
    Metabolic and physiologic improvements from consuming a paleolithic, hunter-gatherer type diet.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19209185?dopt=Abstract

Published Research
    http://thepaleodiet.com/published-research

If you're interested, the full study is here

www.yaboga.com/paleo-metabolic.pdf

and while it is an interesting study
    Nutrient comparisons between paleolithic and usual diets

The usual diet was obtained from one or two 24-h food
    recalls by an experienced research dietician. Comparison
    between the usual and Paleo diet intakes and 24-h urine
    excretion is shown in Table 1, whereas Table 2 lists the
    menus for the actual foods consumed during the metabolic
    diet phases of the study. The usual diet had a calculated K/Na
    intake ratio of 0.6±0.3 and averaged 18% of calories from
    protein, 44% from carbohydrates and 38% from fats. An
    analyzed paleolithic diet composite had a K/Na intake ratio
    of 4.3 (Po0.0001) and contained 30% of calories from
    proteins, 32% from fat (mainly unsaturated) and 38% from
    carbohydrates.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Have you read about the Twinkie Diet? A professor of nutrition ate a diet that consisted of 1800 calories per day. He ate one can of vegetables, drank one protein shake, took a multivitamin, and the rest of the diet was filled with Twinkies, cupcakes, sugary cereals, and other convenience store junk food. His HDL, LDL, blood pressure, Triglycerides all improved, and he dropped 27 pounds in 10 weeks. All of those things are improved just by the act of losing weight, the specifics of the diet don't matter as much.

Every study I've read that has compared different diets, and controlled for calories, has shown no statistically significant difference in health markers from one type of diet to another.