Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Options

Replies

• JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've only used the tofu shirataki noodles and I thought they were an answer to prayer. So I'll have to try to find the non-tofu. I use veggie spray for frying and add in bean sprouts and other veggies and use oyster sauce for seasoning. I just can't believe how much can be eaten for minimal calories.
  • banderson1107
    banderson1107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've tried these noodles a couple times but couldn't get past the rubbery texture. Does dry frying them make the texture different?
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've tried these noodles a couple times but couldn't get past the rubbery texture. Does dry frying them make the texture different?

Absolutely!

In fact, I can't think of anything that DOESN'T change texture when you fry it-- except a rock, perhaps...!

Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.

-Chelle
  • banderson1107
    banderson1107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Absolutely!

I better try them again then! Thanks!
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Dry fry? what is that
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Chelle, I can't thank you enough for posting this. I bought an order (came in a bunch of bags) when I saw a link on an MFP add. The first time I made them they were tolerable - I don't even remember what I did to make them. I will definitely try your dry fry and check out your recipies. The thought of being able to eat more without much in the way of calories-other than what I add in-is HIGHLY appealing. Again, my many thanks, and kudos to you for the great sense of humor in writing your post :flowerforyou:
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The tofu ones are very low carbs.

2 oz serving:
    0.5 fat
    calories 20
    sodiium 15 mg
    total carb 3g
    fiber 2g
    sugar 0
    protein 1 g
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. It is very interesting. I am new to this place and will be checking out your recipes next. One question. You talk about the calories but how are they on carbs?

The tofu ones are very low carbs.

2 oz serving:
    0.5 fat
    calories 20
    sodiium 15 mg
    total carb 3g
    fiber 2g
    sugar 0
    protein 1 g
  • Cheryl943
    Cheryl943 Posts: 83
    Options
    Yeeeees, I remember my experimantation with the cauliflower mashed potatoes...

Now, these noodles... The UK is rubbish for this. I can only find them at $4.52 each PLUS $3.85 shipping (PER BAG!) on Amazon. The best rate I've found is on zeronoodles.com which gives me $10 for 4 bags plus $9.49 total shipping - that's still pretty high compared to the US prices. I have a local Asian market but they don't stock them. I guess I have to ask myself how much money I'll save on snacks.

Miraclenoodle.com offers free shipping in the US. Not sure about UK.
  • CindyRx
    CindyRx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. You cleared up why I saw tofu in them when I saw them in the grocery store. I could have sworn they didn't have tofu so that confused me (when I was looking into it 2 years ago). I'll have to go to a health food store and try the dry frying method and have my family retry them. Thanks again!
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    I'm going to try them. If I can get them tasty enough, my partner will love me long time :laugh:. He misses his humongeous plates of spaghetti.

fill up the plate with some broccoli slaw stir fried in a little coconut or safflower oil and mix it in the pasta. We add it to whole wheat pasta to make it more filling but have added it to these noodles to add more nutrition.
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    Angel Hair Pasta

No soy, gluten, or wheat!

Our Angel Hair Pasta is how it all began...

Join the thousands that have invigorated and recharged their diets in a new healthy direction.

Impress friends with your new discovery and find a delicious new way to lower your carbohydrate intake by eating pasta again, guilt free!!

10 packs Angel Hair noodles £2.52 (GBP) per bag £25.20 (GBP) (Free Shipping)

20 packs Angel Hair noodles £1.83 (GBP) per bag £36.55 (GBP) (Free Shipping)

www.miraclenoodle.com
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    Yeeeees, I remember my experimantation with the cauliflower mashed potatoes...

Now, these noodles... The UK is rubbish for this. I can only find them at $4.52 each PLUS $3.85 shipping (PER BAG!) on Amazon. The best rate I've found is on zeronoodles.com which gives me $10 for 4 bags plus $9.49 total shipping - that's still pretty high compared to the US prices. I have a local Asian market but they don't stock them. I guess I have to ask myself how much money I'll save on snacks.

Miraclenoodle.com offers free shipping in the US. Not sure about UK.

Just posted info from their website and yes they offer free shipping to the UK.
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    We tried the dry fry and it was wonderful. Add to stir fry vegetables and chicken breast we had a filling dinner and only 119 calories in total. Love that!
  • antipanic
    antipanic Posts: 64
    Options
    Bump for later. I actually have some in the fridge, waiting for me to figure out what to do with them!
  • Jbadiam
    Jbadiam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We tried the dry fry and it was wonderful. Add to stir fry vegetables and chicken breast we had a filling dinner and only 119 calories in total. Love that!

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed them!. The dry fry method makes all the difference in the world, to me.

-Chelle
  • shapcomp
    shapcomp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi...Thanks for the post. I have been eating the Shirataki Noodles ALOT but wanted to cut down on them as I have heard too much tofu isn't good for you (remember when tofu was considered a way to prevent breast cancer????). Sounds like a great alternative.
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Options
    I recently found a neat recipe with baby bok choy and shirataki noodles, I like the Miracle Noodle ones. I found it on their facebook page. If you like, will try to share it here. what I do with the smell is really simple, just rinse real well. then i put them aside, sometimes I cut them, dry them a little on a paper towel or towel, and wait until i am ready to add to whatever I make.
  • Kulli1
    Kulli1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cheers for the info, i went looking for these a couple of weeks ago in my local Asian store and failed. There were so many different types of noodle on the shelf with no English lables and i wasn't sure what to look for by site. Tried to ask and things just got more confusing. Going to try again an this time i'll write the name down instead of trying to pronounce it correctly. Looking forward to trying them and going to have a nosy at your recipes. :flowerforyou: