• saralynn594
    saralynn594 Posts: 321
    Options
    No. It does not.

Booooo
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I have been with my husband for 6 years now, and although we are happy, I don't believe in "true love", "soulmates", etc. He does, but I think it comes down to timing and attraction. I met him at a time that I was open to the idea of a relationship. I found him attractive. We hit it off and it has worked out ever since.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think that many (most) people confuse "love" with "lust".

I think true love can exist but I think that most people are not equipped to really handle it. I think lust is the easier of the two to accept and deal with (which is why physical appearance is so mandatory). Real love is a lot harder to discard and move on from than lust is.

AGREED!!!!!!!!!
  • Miss2Mrs2013
    Options
    True love does indeed exist, however it is different for everyone and there will be different variations on it. Whether its the love between a parent and a child, two partners, God/(s) (for people who are religious) and even for some their work.

What is the definition of true love? Its the same as asking whats the defintion of happiness? You can go to Africa and see the poorest people in the world who have nothing, yet they are probably some of the happiest I have met. Put someone from the UK in that position and they probably wouldnt be happy.

The important thing in life is that you find happiness or true love which fits in with your definitions. Its your life and you are the only one that has to live it.
  • ArtsyLaurie
    ArtsyLaurie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm working on my second divorce, second husband was a jerk on top of cultural mis-communication. Last month met back up with my high school sweetheart & it has been wonderful. He accepts me as I am and loves my personal (weird artist) style. Any of my issues I've brought up, he totally understands and was probably through something similar. My kids both like him, my son asks him to tuck him in without me when he is over at their bedtime.

Before we got back together, I had made a list of what my Ideal man would be like. He fits almost every point I listed except being a redhead with a beard, and that can be fixed with some Just for Men and hiding his razor, lol! (Maybe not, those two items were optional! Lol!) He is still kicking himself for breaking up with me just before senior prom. I was going to go in the Army after graduation and him, being a military brat growing up, thought he'd never see me again after I shipped out. He is such a romantic sweetie! ^_^
  • mrsambitious
    mrsambitious Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it does.... I was in a relationship for 15 years with a man who beat on me, cheated on me, locked me and the kids up in the house, and would not let me communicate with my family or friends. I ended up talking him into letting me a job at the daycare center down street from the house. I talked with my boss durning this time, we found me an apartment and a car, I went to work on day he showed up I was gone this was in june of 2008.Otoh I didnt stop working, but he didnt bother me either, as hard as it was for me to trust a man, I ran into an old classmate, that said he had been looking for me. He was to shy to ask me out in middle school but he wasnt going to pass up the opportunity this time. This was in December 2008. I did give him a chance and he was everything that I had prayed for. We are still together and Happily Married, since 3/25/11.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    It does. It isn't ever where you look for it, but the best things in life never are.
    You'll get through this, and you'll go on to be a happier person. Best of luck on your journey.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i think im forever alone LOL

was in love once i guess, for 4 years... now i just do a lot of dating.... seems like a new one every 2 months, though im currently dating a real nice girl but unfortunately i think our time is about to expire as well.

i'd say love exist but very hard to find.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It absolutely does, and when you find it, it's worth everything.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I didn't...until recently. Now I have no doubt <3
  • emmamcc1981
    emmamcc1981 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my mum always said there's a lid for every pot and a cup for every saucer - it might not fit or match perfectly or look right, but there it is.

but she also said to go for the ugly ones because then they'd be grateful!

my husband (who incidentally is not ugly in the slightest!) and i have been together 10 years this year but known each other for years and years longer than that - i knew that the first time i saw him that 'oh yes, he would be mine...' we had to wait to be together, but it was so worth it and still is today. we weren't ready for each other - and we would have wrecked things by getting together too young. i guess love means being comfortable together and the ability to just roll your eyes at their cr*p and them at yours. so many couples i've known couldn't last the course since they were only physically attracted to each other and couldn't actually deal with each others personalities - who they were deep down and who they couldn't change, even if they wanted to. they'd keep going back to each other and breaking up and making themselves so unhappy, when really it's because they weren't deep down compatible with each other. everyone would always comment that we were the perfect couple, they wished they had what we had, they didn't know how we stayed together and never broke up blah blah blah. it wasn't the case, we weren't perfect in the slightest, we just didn't air our dirty laundry in public or sleep around at the first oppertunity!

also i *know* he must love me since my wedding and engagement rings are now HUGE on me - he married me fat and lazy, now he gets to have me fit and ready to go!

so yeah, it does exist, if you're willing to look for the *right* person and let the wrong people out of your life when you realise they are wrong for you. everyone deserves love, but you have to work at finding it, i think. xxx
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    True love as in one person/soulmate type deal? Then no, I don't think it does. But in a more generic love that lasts way, yeah I hope so!

I kinda think this way ^^^^ I believe there are any number of "soulmates" that we are compatible with, have enough things in common with, enjoy spending time with, etc. I don't believe we are limited to that ONE person who "God" made for us. I think it's a ridiculous notion. There are millions of personalities that cross in similarity... and we could fall for any one of them given the chance to get to know them deeply.

I just realized I didn't answer the question... yes... I do believe true love exists... just not in the whole fairytale sense that most of us were taught to believe growing up.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I too was divorced and it about killed me. Literally. I vowed I would NEVER do that again. But then I met my current husband. It wasn't like a flash of lightening...it just felt...RIGHT. Like everything I've ever done in my life had led me to that exactly time when I would meet him and we would be together forever. We have a great life and I now understand the phrase "I love you more today than I did yesterday but not as much as tomorrow". My love for him grows with each passing day!
  • mcandyr
    mcandyr Posts: 36
    Options
    Yes!! Yes!! see my pic...
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    True love does exist - it is a matter of cultivating it - if you plant a garden (get married) but don't water it (respect, consideration, communication, and acceptance) there it will never bare the fruit you seek. Just as you would fertilize the garden and water it everyday, to cultivate that love we have to wake up every morning thinking how can I make this man/woman fall in love with me all over again today... however, it does take two...

Fairy tales show you get married you live happily ever after, don't we all wish. It takes hard work. Two individuals come together, not to become one but to compliment each other in their strengths and weaknesses. For it to be long lasting it requires for each person to accept the other as an individual. Most of us get married and then want to change the other person in to what we think they would be - missing what it was that brought us together in the first place.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think true love does exist.

I was in a bad relationship for five years. It luckily ended a year and a half ago. I took time, focused on me, and ruled out men altogether. That is, until I met my boyfriend. We were introduced through mutual friends and really hit it off. He is the most amazing man I have ever met! He is understanding, caring, sweet (although he denies it.. lol), and he pushes me to be the best me I can be.

I consider myself to be extremely lucky and I do not take his for granted.

I do believe there is someone out there for everyone. You just might have to kiss a few frogs first. :heart:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart...and all those of you in pain right now. True love does exist, but like every other worthwhile thing in this world, it takes a combination of destiny, chemistry and hard work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna get up on my high horse( even though I do own a very lovely one) and preach my pretentious ideals at anyone. I have been lucky enough to find someone who truly respects and cares for me as much as I do him, and that makes the effort worth it all!
  • Kugelelfe
    Options
    I believe in true love!
    But I don't believe in the one and only. My first boyfriend was true love, the fairy tale (or better romantic novel) kind: love at first sight, handsome, clever, wonderful in bed, faithful, we could read each others mind. And we grew up, experienced difficulties (mostly from outside, like money-problems, family discussions, etc.) and started to fight each other. It led to our "divorce", but he is still in my heart. I don't regret breaking up, we would have hurt each other too much.
    Now I'm married the fourth year to a man who I did not fall in love with at first sight, but a bit later, who does not frown about the idea of me having a history, letting me talk about my first love, understanding that there is room enough in my heart for remembering and for him. He's ok with my overweight (but does some sports with me if I ask him to), helps me with housework and in every other way. I love him for many many things and still, we do quarrel often and I'm happy about it. I know that I can say what I want, we can trust each other (even if we yell that we will leave the other, we both know that it won't really happen), everything (other than adultry) can happen and it won't make our love fade. The key (for me) to keep the beloved one (and to want to keep him/her) is honesty on both sides.
    There will always be another chance and if Mr. Right keeps you waiting, enjoy not having to ask for compromises ;).
    Best luck
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    At one point, my husband and I were together literally 24/7. We lived together, worked together, ate lunch together, drove to and from work together, etc. And not once did we get sick of each other. If that's not true love...what is?? LOL
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Ok - I have seen this comment alot, so I will elaborate a little on my background. I have been married (since I am not divorced yet) for 5 years, and I have 2 children by this man (or sperm donor as some of them call him, lol). I married him with the mentality that he has never been shown "true love" which is why he acts the way he does - I thought I could change him. Well, a hard lesson for me...I can't change anyone BUT myself. Yes, I do believe it takes 2 to make a marriage work, and I fully believe I put everything into my marriage - it was very one-sided including abuse on his part (mental, verbal and emotional) - hence why horrible self-esteem which is why I said I am getting a divorce for the safety of not only myself but my children.