True Love ...Does it exist??

Options

Replies

• Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I got a divorce 6 years ago. Mine was amiable. We still keep in touch. There's a part of me that will always love him, and I regret a lot of things I did in that relationship. But it wasn't "true love." It was only what he could give me at the time, and it wasn't enough.

Now, at the risk of outing myself horribly here, I'll tell you this: I now have a live-in boyfriend, who, after a year of living together, had to deal with my complete meltdown and hospitalization, a diagnosis of rapid cycling depressive bipolar, disability, another hospital stay, and we've been together six years. He visited me every day in the hospital. He tries to understand me. He doesn't ask me to do what he knows I can't do. And we still dance around the kitchen sometimes, he still sings me stupid I love you songs while he plays on the computer, and he always wants to and makes time for us each night.

He'd only been with me a year before everything went down the crapper. Most guys would have split. The rest of it? Amazing he stayed. And after six years, we still love each other and aren't apathetic? I consider that a win. I don't know if it's true love, but it ain't something I'd lift my nose up at. I never thought I'd meet anyone again, especially at my weight. But there he was.

Edit: We also have horrendous fights, but we always make up. We always love each other afterwards. We've been through some hard, hard times, too. But that's a real relationship. "True love" has to be able to weather that too.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I believe in it, my hubby and I have been married for 9 years, together for 14, but I've known him for 18 years. He and I have had some pretty big bumps in the road, but we are as much in love as we were when we first started out. We've seen each other at our worst and we both stuck around. :heart:
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You have to love yourself first.

^^^This!! I have to say, I'm surprised no one has quoted it yet.
    If you don't know how to love yourself, how can you know love from another
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Absolutely....TRUE LOVE DOES EXIST. I have found it numerous times with several different people..... :devil:
  • erintheinspiration
    erintheinspiration Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I sure hope it exists... I'm damn sure not giving up, LOL!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am working on my second divorce so I definitely have moments of doubt about true love. I say that, but deep inside I choose to believe it does exist. Will I ever find it? Maybe not but I like getting up each morning with the hope that someday I will find the right one.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Lust yes. Love-meh, maybe.

I believe Love has to be developed over time. And both people need to feel the same way with the same goals in mind. I've met a few men and thought "i could see it happening" but they didn't feel the same way.

One day. Maybe. I should probably stop looking on www.meetasugardaddy.com if i really wanted to find true love.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    If you are with the person God made for you, then yes, for sure true love exists.

wait a second, i don't believe god exists. so i'm pretty much screwed? oh wait. yes, yes i am. Weeee!
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    I don't believe in soulmates simply because, while I love my husband tremendously and can't imagine being with someone else, I could certainly find another compatible mate if something were to happen to him.

But I do believe in true love. My husband and I have been together for eight years. We've been through a lot, and we're always there for each other, no matter what. We're best friends, and we have tons of fun together. Our relationship isn't perfect, but it is pretty darn good.

It's out there. You just have to let it find you. :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. I truly love cheeseburgers!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You have to love yourself first.

I work on this daily. Sometimes a few times a day.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Simply put. Yes. Love it Pure. It is the greatest gift of our journey in life. One that is not just given, but equally received. Sadly, too many see love as frail. They allow past experiences where we have let all emotion take over and rule our state of being. The day you realize that you need to love as a blind person...on the knowledge that Love is Pure and truly can conquer any "outside" influence...you will find that which you seek. And know, it all starts within yourself. We do not love another of specific aspects, we love completely.

Remove your prejudices of past experiences or relationships gone awry. We're talking about a single aspect within the relationship. And with that, Respect trumps Love...as it goes...it takes 2 to Tango.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wuv ... twue wuv ...

(Am I first??? I haven't read through.)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Just looking for opinions here (I am not looking for an argument or anything), but do you think "true love" exists or just a fairytale?? I will be totally honest...I get very jealous when I see happy couples walking around because I am in the middle of a divorce. A divorce that needs to be done not just for the safety of myself but my babies, but it is still heart-breaking nevertheless because "dreams" have gone down the tubes. You won't understand unless you have experienced a divorce. So what is your opinion....

Yes, but it's not some big fairytale. It takes hard work, compassion, respect, and dedication to the relationship. My husband is my rock. He keeps me centered and goal-oriented. He supports and loves me no matter what happens. He's most certainly not perfect. I am not either. i try to be as good to him as I possibly can, but neither of us let the other run over each other or take advantage of each other. It's a constant daily balancing act, but it's also the best thing I've ever experienced in life.
  • JetzGurl
    JetzGurl Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wuv ... twue wuv ...

This made me howl!! I am a HUGE Princess Bride fan and when I got married, it was my uncle (a Pastor) who did the honours. When we were at the rehearsal and got to the end of the aisle, that is what he opened with!! Not to mention mouthing the word "Mawwiage" when I was walking down the aisle for real :laugh:
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Wuv ... twue wuv ...

Yes...Max.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's not some big fairytale. It takes hard work, compassion, respect, and dedication to the relationship.

Take out the "hard work" and it becomes your fairytale...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wuv ... twue wuv ...

This made me howl!! I am a HUGE Princess Bride fan and when I got married, it was my uncle (a Pastor) who did the honours. When we were at the rehearsal and got to the end of the aisle, that is what he opened with!! Not to mention mouthing the word "Mawwiage" when I was walking down the aisle for real :laugh:

Awesome.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Nope. It doesn't. Truth.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Do I believe in True Love, no. Although I'm not sure I fully understand the definition. I think if you choose a partner that you are highly compatible with, then it is easier to have everlasting love for them. That's all it is to me, nothing about soul mates or anything too spiritual. Humans are highly flawed, especially when making decisions that affect us long term. You will make both good and bad decisions. Sometimes the way you feel about someone early in a relationship can cloud your judgement such that you overlook qualities about them that aren't very good. Many people get married with someone they don't fully connect with because of timing. If you are in your late 20s for instance, you don't have a whole lot of time to find Mr. Perfect if you want to have kids any time soon.