True Love ...Does it exist??

Options

Replies

• nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Part true love, part hard work, and major part finding the right person for you. I believe in all of these. I thought I was in love with my ex but he wasn't the right person for me and wasn't willing to work at the marriage. He believed that if it was meant to be it would work and didn't require any effort on this part.

Here I am 14 years later. Divorced, mother of one, and engaged to the man of my dreams. True love, he is the right one this time because of how he values our relationship and how he values his relationship with my daughter, and he truely believes that marriage require work, effort, and communication. He knows that a good marriage will not just survive unattended.

So I think true love is out there, it just isn't what the fairytales say it is.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    It exists. My true love is Sushi!!! But yes I do believe it does.
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think that true love exists - at least while you're in it. If you are looking for the everyday-is-perfect-never-fight-never-lie sort of love then you should probably lower those standards. It is natural for people to fight and lie - it's the little things that matter in life. True love is all a matter of opinion, I would like to think that I have found mine. Who knows though? In a year or even one minute, something may happen that shatters my world and turns everything topsy turvey.
  • cbrister07
    cbrister07 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I think it is hard work. It isn't like a fairytale...it isn't magical. Love and relationships are hard work. There will be hard times, you will hurt one another, but you must work together to get through it. Be supportive, trusting, and have communication with one another.

I personally feel that if you find someone that is your bestfriend and will be there for you through thick and thin, then that is true love. It goes past the physical attraction and the $exual part of the relationship...it is so much more.

This^^^^. It isn't magical like in the movies but I do believe it exists. I've only been with my husband 7 years but I truely believe he is the one for me. I couldn't ask for anyone better.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I think so. I think it's just different to each person. First, it's about loving yourself only then can you really give all of yourself to someone and if it's right they'll love and accept every part of you. I think it's hard work. I also think it's finding the person who puts your happiness before their own and vice versa.
  • brandillyn
    brandillyn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, it does(: Mine wears digi's (Marine camo).
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't exist

It could only exist where both parties had completely unconditional love, but humans always want something out of another person, it's never unconditional
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I think it is hard work. It isn't like a fairytale...it isn't magical. Love and relationships are hard work. There will be hard times, you will hurt one another, but you must work together to get through it. Be supportive, trusting, and have communication with one another.

I personally feel that if you find someone that is your bestfriend and will be there for you through thick and thin, then that is true love. It goes past the physical attraction and the $exual part of the relationship...it is so much more.

This^^^^. It isn't magical like in the movies but I do believe it exists. I've only been with my husband 7 years but I truely believe he is the one for me. I couldn't ask for anyone better.

this!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think it exists.

But I also think it's easy to get so wrapped up in wanting to be 'in love' that you aren't being honest with yourself about your needs. True love shouldn't be very complicated in my opinion.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I think that many (most) people confuse "love" with "lust".

I think true love can exist but I think that most people are not equipped to really handle it. I think lust is the easier of the two to accept and deal with (which is why physical appearance is so mandatory). Real love is a lot harder to discard and move on from than lust is.

This is soooo true, I agree 100%.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 I agree!!!!
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes. But you have to love yourself enough first to recognize when someone is offering it to you.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think so. I think it's just different to each person. First, it's about loving yourself only then can you really give all of yourself to someone and if it's right they'll love and accept every part of you. I think it's hard work. I also think it's finding the person who puts your happiness before their own and vice versa.

^^Agreed.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It could only exist where both parties had completely unconditional love, but humans always want something out of another person, it's never unconditional
    [/quote

This! Unconditional love, even for one's kids doenBut I think you can have a pretty good facsimile sometimes .. disclaimer here - divorced twice and in third long term relationship, and this one doesn't want to get married - probably with good reason! Although he says I am his true love ... who knows!? People change, their needs and wants are fluid and even though he thinks I am his true love now, what's not to say that someone better suited to him might not come along later? Hopefully not but still...
  • IndyInk
    IndyInk Posts: 212
    Options
    I, too, am a divorcee. It's a really hard thing to go through, but please trust that being with the wrong person is so much worse than being with no one at all.

It's been 6 years since my divorce. I am happier now than I ever been, and YES, I completely believe in true love. I've found it. I thought I had been in love before, but it was nothing compared to what I've got now. You will absolutely know it when you've found it. You will be better, happier, and feel so much hope about your future. Losing dreams to a bad relationship is painful and awful, but the happiness you can achieve is worth the heartache.

I wish you luck, and feel free to friend me if you need some support.

You give me hope. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do! I met my true love 11 months ago, and it has been amazing the whole time. I see nothing but wonderfulness ahead for us.
  • madzdad
    madzdad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think it does, but that there are different kinds. For example, I have a dear friend that I have known for 25 years, both of us at times have referred to the other as a soul mate, it was a deep and unabiding love we had for each other, but there was no romantic part to it. It is hard to explain, but we are two totally different people but we connect in a very unique way and for one of the only times in my life, I would rather be her friend in love then something else. I'm currently going through a divorce, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it was the right thing at the right time. I am learning who I am without the "us" factor. It is a new experience. Just in the last week my eyes have been opened past all the loneliness to see that I have a future with or without someone to love, but one in which I have made a wonderful new friend on here. But I do think that love is out there. So yes, call me a hopeless romantic, I do believe in true love, but it has to evolve with both of you. You cannot keep the same relationship for years, grow together, or grow apart.

And that's all I have to say about that, lol!

Jay
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    No. It does not.
    You've just never loved.

Like I just said,
    Love is love and when it's real, it's true. Regardless.

Not true. I have, but it wasn't mutual, in the end. I realized that it's all bull****. The other person never thinks and feels the way you think they do. You, when you're in "love", think that it's all good. There's a reason why they call it "falling".
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, BUT! you and your significant other have to work very hard and constantly for it.....always.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    yes it does. 21 years this august. dont give up hope. there is someone out there for you. everything happens for a reason.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading of the happiness! (I hope)