any females with big calves

Options

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy", but most women with big calves simply store a lot of fat on them. 90% of the time, it's not muscle.

Then don't be "that guy." If you really hated to be him, you wouldn't be.

What? Just trying to set realistic expectations. The truth is, unless you've been really lean before - low teen body fat for men, upper teen for a woman, you have no idea how much fat you really have on your body. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it's simply is what it is.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I hate to be "that guy", but most women with big calves simply store a lot of fat on them. 90% of the time, it's not muscle.

So what's the best way to lose the fat there???

diet

you can't spot reduce. The more weight you lose, the smaller they'll eventually get, until they're just down to muscle. Some people lose calf fat faster than others,

I think you mean the more BF you lose, the smaller they'll get? I hope so anyway because I'm trying to get to <18% BF (21.5% at the moment).

That is what I meant, but now that I think of it, I'm noticing here that "weight loss" and "lost inches" go hand-in-hand, that is until you start talking about bulking, heavy lifting, and other body building processes.
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options

What? Just trying to set realistic expectations. The truth is, unless you've been really lean before - low teen body fat for men, upper teen for a woman, you have no idea how much fat you really have on your body. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it's simply is what it is.

I'm sure you are right. Doesn't mean you have to point it out in a thread in which a number of women have admitted to being self-conscious about their legs.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have always had huge calves. I don't know the measurement, but they're huge and it's all muscle. Even being overweight, my calves are just muscle. I have no idea how to make them smaller and I hate it!! I've never found boots that fit around my calves :(
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I dunno fellah, I'm pretty good about telling the difference between fat and muscle. I love my calves either way- they are awesome.
  • NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 & have 17.5 in calves. For the most part they are solid, but I'd like for them to be more slender. I use to have guys at wrk come grab at them while I was working (can we say freaks?), & tell me they couldn't help it cuz they were so big & solid. It still made me feel weird. But then again it kinda made me feel good cuz my brother is fascinated by them too lol. He use to watch me workout when I was younger cuz I had developed a split he admired. To me they just look big unless I tiptoe. Then I can see more definition.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I got curvy legs! Wouldn't trade them for anything, but my legs are getting more and more toned with running. They are 16.5 inches at the widest point. I'm Scots through, and if you ever see anyone really sporting a kilt in the best fashion, they'll have the calves to match them.
    Boots are a pain in the *kitten* :(
    I know that some of my awesome calves are BF, as they have gone down with my weight loss, but I would never ever wish for dainty little chicken legs in place of these. I'm solid, no fear of a strong breeze from this viking wench.
  • Ramseyyy
    Ramseyyy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have big ones. I wish they'd fade away a bit because it makes buying skinny jeans hard/uncomfortable.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

I'm sure you are right. Doesn't mean you have to point it out in a thread in which a number of women have admitted to being self-conscious about their legs.

I second that one. Kinda a d-bag move there.
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

well "that guy" since you know so much....got any idea how i can suck the fat out of my *kitten* and inject into my boobs???
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've always had large calves as well. Primarily from years of tae kwon do, softball, track, swimming & what not. They're probably the only part on my body that is entirely muscle right now (they measure 11.5")
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Yup, my calves are pretty huge, refer to my profile picture for proof :ohwell:

I'm 5'8, 235lbs., and last time I measured they were 17.5" :sad:

I have about 75lbs. to lose, and I don't need That Guy to tell me there is a solid layer of fat on my calves because I know it, but I swear my calves are starting to look more and more defined (they have definition without flexing) Not sure if they've always been like that, or if I'm just noticing now.

I like having strong legs, but can't wait for my calves to shrink so I can, you know, wear pretty boots :smile:
  • Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm 5'6 with 20 inch calves:noway: . Have always had Popeye calves even at 160lbs. Never have been able to were boots that weren't stretched. :grumble:
  • CindyCountingCalories
    CindyCountingCalories Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    14.5" here! I love them, but finding boots is a pain in the butt!!!

Same here 14.5 don't hate them but can't get boots :(
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ha! I have cows not calves!!! Full grown here!!!! Always have... now I have to measure them!... be right back...

ok 16.5
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

*slow clap*

Thank you. I hate reading threads that consist of women bashing their own bodies. Other people do it enough for us, let's learn to love our own bodies regardless of any perceived flaws!
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't know if size really matters. I have 14.5, but it's not defined. I am almost the same from ankle to calf to knee. I think it looks sexier even if it is smaller, if it is defined and muscular.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options

90% of the time, eh?

Good thing I have calipers so I know just how much (or little) fat is on my calves, then. :smile: <--passive-aggressive emoticon time!!!
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've always had big calves (both fat and a decent amount of muscle), so big that I could never find booths that went above the ankle. I'm 5'3'' so they always looked a bit ridiculous on me, and I've unfortunately heard some negative comments about them.

I thought they'd slim down when I started losing weight and was really excited about that, but they actually just got more muscular and sliiightly bigger! I think they're at 16'' right now which is kinda crazy! At least the muscle is well defined and straight POPS when I flex.

Still no boots in my future....