True Love ...Does it exist??

Options

Replies

• Papalov100
    Papalov100 Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    True love is the same as a fit body. As long as you work it and mantain it, then you've got it. If you stop maintaining it, you'll loose it again.
  • Want2BSkinny13
    Options
    You have to love yourself first.

Oh... And this ^^^ is very true! I often think that life is a journey and everything that happens is a challenge you have to overcome before you can move up to the next 'level' of happiness... You must learn about who you are and what you want and learn to love yourself along this journey too... Self acceptance and self belief are an ongoing lesson but the more you learn, the further you go... Having a supportive, equal and loving relationship is something you have to grow to be able to accept - if your not a whole person when you go into it, then it will be much harder to deal with once your there. I know that sounds weird but I see so many relationships wherein one, or both, people are actually sabotaging this situation through their own insecurities... Dont underestimate how important you and your personal health (physical, mental and emotional) are to a successful partnership! :smile:

One of the best answers read so far...thanks !
    And to the girl that started this thread, dear child you will be happy again, dont give up HOPE!
  • shannoninBC
    shannoninBC Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Ummmm no
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    I think it does! My husband and I are high school sweethearts! Been together 19 years and married 16 of them. Life could not be any better, He is the BEST!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe it exists
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    No in short. "Love" is merely the name we give to the ongoing mutually benefical co-existence of two people, which begins with a chemical reaction in both brains once they recognise each other as potential partners for the making and raising of children, maintaining a comfortable home existence, and providing ongoing support.

As a poster above said, you have to work at it - continuing to do things together which are mutually beneficial and "feel good" will result in the brain producing more of the chemicals which make you feel closer to one another.

Unfortunately some relationships come to an end. They ran their course, and you are no longer of use to one another. It sounds cold, but really that's what it's about. On the one hand it makes the whole idea of relationships seem pointless, but on the other it makes you realize that the pool of potential partners is actually limitless once you eliminate the idea of "true love" or the one perfect partner :flowerforyou:
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think true love is when you wish the best for someone no matter if they are in your life at the moment or not. You love what makes them who they are... doesn't mean you have to love what you don't like about them, but there's enough stuff there that you can't help but smile or laugh when you think about them. And wishing the absolute best for them, without hope or expectation of getting anything in return... I guess what you might get in return is just the satisfaction of having known them. And that would be enough, in a case of "true love." Also, sacrificial love... when you give up something in order to make them happy.

So... giving up or sacrificing for them, as well as not expecting anything in return for having loved them... those are probably pretty good indicators that you love someone.

ETA: Looking at some of the other posts, I see this was about romantic/erotic love, but my reply isn't specific to that.
  • Tanya_IP
    Tanya_IP Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Love is like a fart. If you have to force it, its probably *kitten*.....sorry lol just saw that on FB the other day and it made me laugh
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe it exists
    I agree with you. :heart:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't know that "true love" exists. I believe in love, and then if all other things go together well, and you can work to get along and maintain the love, and happiness, then yes, long-term-love exists. But there's nothing magical that says you'll be happy forever without any effort.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Have also been through divorce and you are right. It sucks and there are times when things are so bad that you just can't work it out. But I do believe that true love exists and even when you have true love sometimes you go through rough patches.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It does exist. When two individuals are meant for one another, they will form an undeniable and inseparable connection which goes beyond comprehension and defies logic. I believe that God has truly blessed me by making provision for my true love and I to cross paths :-)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    No in short. "Love" is merely the name we give to the ongoing mutually beneficial co-existence of two people, which begins with a chemical reaction in both brains once they recognize each other as potential partners for the making and raising of children, maintaining a comfortable home existence, and providing ongoing support.

A cut-and-dried, unromantic response for sure.

I think "true love" is based on true friendship and not lust or passion.

Lust often fades but a solid foundation of a friendship based on mutual respect has a better chance of lasting.

Throw in some good humor, earned trust, and similar values and you have the makings of a great relationship.

Physical attraction is the icing on the cake but not the most important feature in my opinion.
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It sure does! But it also can be a fairytale! My husband of almost 17 years is my Prince Charming! :love:
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    true love is a myth.
    just like north dakota.

PS: the world is flat.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does exist. I found it :heart:
  • pattongb
    pattongb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Divorced 2x. About to get married again. It took me 40 years but I finally found my true love and YES it does exist! Ive married for lust, I married for money, now im marrying my Best Friend who I think about 100x a day and who I cant wait to touch and talk too.

Its there, just too often we settle.
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear you are getting a divorce. I would be shattered, but if its an issue with protecting yourself and your kids then you have no other choice.

I deep down in my heart my husband and I are meant to be together, we have had some bad times, but we always manage to laugh and love eachother in the end no matter what.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    TRue love is a verb, not a noun. True love is working it out because you're a team. True love is getting past the anger and the frustration and the irritations to realize this IS the person you want with you when your parents die, when you are sick, when you got a raise, when you made your first hollandaise without it separating. True love is a partnership that fights to be together, not a fairytale story of endless endorphins....
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by true love. I don't believe in "soul mates" or that there is one person for everyone. I think you can find someone who you are compatible with... someone you love enough to want to stick around even after the excitement starts to die down.