Ladies - Would you date someone who is divorced?

Options

Replies

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes. My now husband was previously married/divorced with 3 kids. We met when I was 24, he was 35. I actually didn't think twice about the divorced part - the kids is what may have given me some pause, but they were so great and I could see how he had made them that way, and it made me love him more.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Sure, provided he learned from the experience and didn't badmouth his ex-wife or pin all the blame on her.
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If the man's wife left him for someone else, then I would consider it, but if they divorced simply because they "couldn't get along" or "went their separate ways" or, certainly if he cheated on her, then no.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Divorced, more than likely. With kids NO !!

why not kids? do you have children? i think dating a man with kids has is advantages because i am a parent as well. you never know how a man truly is until they become a father. if they are a bad parent, they are probably a bad partner too. everyone can talk the talk, but actions and words are completely different things.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I already am and so is he !!!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    If you don't keep an open mind you never know who you might miss!

I was married for a whole 8 months. Worst decision ever and I should have left a lot sooner than that. Dumb and young. Anyways, I met my current fiance on match.com and I wrote in my profile (just out of a divorce) and he still contacted me. He admitted that he was a little skeptical but went with it. Everyone has a story and if that person was married and divorced for the right reasons (for me that was leaving to be HAPPY, nothing else) then I don't see why the stigma is so awful. I have friends that are divorced due to cheating ways and lies.. to me, that would be a big red flag.. but growing apart or just not being happy is a different story.

If the tables were turned I would probably feel the same way initially, but once I got to know the person I would make my decision.

My good friend JUST started dating a guy a few weeks ago. He is still in the process of getting a divorce and has two little girls. His wife cheated with their daughters classmates dad. Awful story. I'm nervous for her but she's an adult! I figure, if he's out on a dating website already, he must be ready to move on.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I married my husband we were both divorcees.... I think unfortunately and fortunately some people learn from a divorce on what they want, what they need to do to provide etc... SO I wouldn't out rule it.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    I dated someone once who was "divorced" only get a call from his WIFE asking me why I had been calling her HUSBAND. Therefore, I made a rule to myself not to do that ever again.

He even took me to his apartment ... even though I found out later he still lived with his wife in a house on the other side of town. Must have just used that apartment to lure young innocent girls.

Creep.

Now I'm "old" and very happily married. :love:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    As long as they didn't have baby momma drama/ex wife drama, and were for SURE over the divorce. Have met too many guys who wanted to be over their divorce, but just weren't, and it never went well. Even better if they are civil with their ex.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Well no, my husband would hardly approve. But if I were single? Sure. Extra points if the person could be civil to the ex.

^^^^ This... LOL

Plus, if my current husband never dated anyone who was divorced, we wouldn't be together. :)
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did and then married him. We were both previously married. We both are BETTER spouses to one another having learned from our first marriages.
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    like the lady who mentioned her ex abused her and beat her she left that. that was the same reason for my divorce also.
  • SieggieSieg
    Options
    Absolutely. I'm a second wife and have been married for 25 years. Thankfully there were no children involved. I think that makes a huge difference because even when divorced, parents still have to maintain contact, communication etc for the sake of the child(ren).
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

Sometimes there are circumstances that warrant a divorce or make it inevitable.

"Circumstancs" is not 'till death, now is it?

I know people who got divorced because their spouse was abusing them. Cheated on them (and in one case gave them an STI). frauded them. turned out to be gay... seriously, there are a lot of reasons why people get divorced and not all of them are issues that can be 'worked through'.

I am not saying one shouldn't get divorced (or, preferrably annulled) in some of the extreme circumstances. I am saying I wouldn't get remarried after going through that, because obviously I didn't do a good job of picking the first time.

please tell us what it's like to live in a world with unicorns where people fart rainbows and gardens grow lollipops? it sounds so lovely. :huh:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    He has been divorced twice, to young and stupid the first two times. We are engaged to be married in the next few years. We have been together for 3 years.
  • Dawnsdream
    Options
    I beliveve you can not judge anyone by there past. we all make mistakes. and no one knows what happen in the marriage but you and you ex. So To me There is nothing wrong with dating a divorced man.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I married a divorced man. I never thought I would even date a divorced man since I had never been married, and my parents are together 42+ years so I had a great example. But this one time I made an exception. And then I married him. And over 12 years later things are still wonderful. So....yes.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I would and have, and currently am dating someone who is divorced Everyone has their own baggage
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes and I married him. Best husband and father to not only his own children, which I call my own, but mine also. He treats them all as if they were his. I was also divorced myself.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    my bf was married for a long time, divorced because he cheated, and has kids. when he explained everything it made a lot of sense though.