Replies

• TexasNana41
    TexasNana41 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump for the recipes
  • everytree
    everytree Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm going to go in search of these things tomorrow. I couldn't find them in my usual grocery store so I'm going to go to an asian market. My only concern is where in there to find them. No one speaks english in the one near me.

Also, just wanted to clarify with you that they are completely gluten free. Is that true? My kids have severe celiac disease and I want to make sure....

They are absolutely gluten free!

I have friends with Celiacs who eat them!

-C

Thanks so much Chelle. I appreciate the confirmation. My girls will be excited to try some new noodles!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go in search of these things tomorrow. I couldn't find them in my usual grocery store so I'm going to go to an asian market. My only concern is where in there to find them. No one speaks english in the one near me.

Also, just wanted to clarify with you that they are completely gluten free. Is that true? My kids have severe celiac disease and I want to make sure....

They are absolutely gluten free!

I have friends with Celiacs who eat them!

-C

Thanks so much Chelle. I appreciate the confirmation. My girls will be excited to try some new noodles!

BTW I meant the non-tofu ones. I'm not sure about the tofu shirataki noodles!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I also use them when I make Pho (I love to cook Vietnamese). I also stuff whole chickens with them. They're extremely versatile.

OH CHELLE!! I think I love you!! This is one of my fav all time dinners, but the calories in rice noodles makes it something that I can't have weekly. But now...I am in heaven just THINKING about this!! THANK YOU!!!!!

And YOU came up with califlower mashed potatoes???? You should see how many different places that have that as an alternative to regular mashed potatoes!!

Keep on cooking, and all of our kitchens (and bodies) will thank you!!!!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I also use them when I make Pho (I love to cook Vietnamese). I also stuff whole chickens with them. They're extremely versatile.

OH CHELLE!! I think I love you!! This is one of my fav all time dinners, but the calories in rice noodles makes it something that I can't have weekly. But now...I am in heaven just THINKING about this!! THANK YOU!!!!!

And YOU came up with califlower mashed potatoes???? You should see how many different places that have that as an alternative to regular mashed potatoes!!

Keep on cooking, and all of our kitchens (and bodies) will thank you!!!!

While I didn't invent FATTENING cauliflower mashed potatoes like everyone else makes I DID invent the low cal recipe that uses cream of mushroom soup.

And it's been a huge hit!
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh becuz I am cooking up my usual easy concoction of shirataki noodles on the stove while I am on this site and immediately had to read your post! :-) I LOVE these noodles!! I discovered them a couple years ago in Oregon and bought them either at an Asian market or at the Whole Foods store..I recently moved to a very small town in Wisconsin, and about a month ago there they were in our smallish grocery store! Of course now I eat them about 3 nites a week...I grew to love them becuz they saved me also with dieting hunger and boredom...I don't even care how they taste becuz (1) they totally saved me when it comes to keeping my hunger at bay and (2) they are so versatile and you do acquire a taste. Now I am so used to them and they are so easy to just throw quick meals together! I love finding new ways to cook them or throw different veges into them, etc. So thank you so much for your post!!! and thank you for the recipes! ps at my small market they are $1.99 bag and at the Asian market in Oregon they were $1.89 a bag.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I will try these out for sure. Going gluten free just got easier! I will be checking out your blog too. if you have knowledge, and it sounds like you do, I want it. :flowerforyou:
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • MariSchuitema
    Options
    bump
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Want to try these :) Thanks!!
  • rbccbrown
    rbccbrown Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • dsmgirl03
    dsmgirl03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • MissSonjaBelle
    MissSonjaBelle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hahaha ur a crack up. This is awesome. Totes getting some thanks
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • bigswedeman
    bigswedeman Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When I started on my journey last April, I used the tofu shirataki noodles to help break my body and mind of the complete iron grip that pasta had over me... Where once I used to eat pasta 4-5 times /week in large quantatites, I probably only have it now 2 or 3 times a month.

The smell is fishy, but goes away quickly when washed. I cut open the bag right into a strainer running under hot water... No foul. Still a bit expensive, and here's hoping the price goes down!
  • CRVDiva
    CRVDiva Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks so much fo posting this. I just posted a question about these noodles on my page and this post answers it.
    There are so many questions and misconceptions about shirataki noodles that I thought I'd go ahead and do a post just about them.

I have eaten well over 300 pounds of shirataki noodles since I started my diet, 290 days ago. This website-- and shirataki noodles-- are the reason I've been so successful on my weight loss journey.

Why?

They allow me to be full. I do a lot better on my diet with I'm full.

I often say that "hungry people make lousy dieters."

Thanks to shirataki noodles I haven't been hungry for a single minute of my diet.

"But Chelle, I've never even heard of shirataki noodles..."

Then you've come to the right place.

Shirataki noodles are made from a Japanese yam (that isn't actually a yam, but it IS a vegetable) instead of wheat or rice. They aren't exactly like pasta noodles-- but they're awful durn close-- and they have zero (or close to zero, depending on what brand you buy) calories.

"What? Noodles with zero calories? You can't be serious???"

I'm serious.

They dry the yam and grind it into a powder/flour-- then make noodles from it. I'm sure you can think of lots of vegetables that have practically zero calories-- and the konjac plant (the Japanese yam I mentioned) is one of them.

Depending on how they process them hey come out nearly clear-- or dark brown. I have eaten both kinds and there is very little difference.

They come packaged in water and, technically, are "ready to eat," although I don't care for them straight out of the package.

When you first open the bag you will notice a slightly fishy odor. Get over it. A quick rinse with hot water and the smell will be completely gone.

You can heat them up lots of ways, but there is only one way to cook them, in my opinion-- dry fry them.

Simply spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and cook them, on high, until they're bone dry. (about 8 minutes) By cooking them in this fashion the end result is much closer to wheat or rice noodles.

"But Chelle, I've HAD shirataki noodles and I didn't like them."

Did you dry-fry them?

I didn't think so.

Go dry fry a batch and then come back and tell me you don't like them. You'll be singing a different tune.

"Chelle, I just found some at the supermarket and they say that they're 40 calories for a half pound bag. Why would you lie to us like that?"

You bought TOFU shirataki noodles. Tofu HAS calories-- shirataki flour does not.

When you buy shirataki noodles that have been blended with tofu you'll find the appearance and texture are closer to wheat pasta-- but when you add tofu it contributes some calories.

Plus-- tofu has to be refrigerated.

So if you have to order shirataki noodles online you'll only be able to get them without the tofu since there is no way to refrigerate them on the way to you.

"Chelle, I just bought some shirataki noodles without tofu blended in and they say you should keep them refrigerated."

I've noticed that some brands say that-- and I won't recommend that you ignore manufacturer's recommendations-- but everything I've read says that shirataki noodles do not have to be refrigerated.

Perhaps refrigeration extends the shelf life-- I don't know.

What I DO know is that I only refrigerate my shirataki noodles if I have room in the 'fridge. Since I've eaten over 300 pounds of them and I'm not dead (yet) I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing.

"Where can I buy these, Chelle? I didn't see them in my grocery store."

The BEST place to buy them is in Asian grocery stores. There are 5 within a half hour of my house-- and I live in rural Georgia. Your next best bet is in a health food or grocery store, and your last resort is online (where you'd have to pay for shipping).

Half pound bags of shirataki noodles cost me $1.29 at the Asian market and $2.00 at Whole Foods.

Half pound bags of tofu shirataki noodles cost me $1.49 at the Asian market, $1.49 at Harris Teeter (grocery store), $2.29 at Publix and $2.49 at Kroger. (You'll find them in the refrigerated produce section with the tofu products.)

"So what do I do with them after I dry fry them?"

Practically anything. I make them too many ways to count. I find that I get on "kicks." I'll make them in various Asian styles for a few weeks, then I'll combine them with crushed tomatoes and come up with various Italian concoctions for awhile, then I'll use various Cuban mojo sauces (all zero or nearly zero calories) and then I'll go back to just Smart Balance, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Once you dry fry them they microwave very nicely-- so if you want to take leftovers to work, for lunch, feel free.

I also frequently dry fry them with bean sprouts. They seem to really compliment each other and the bean sprouts get extra yummy once they just start to brown. (The bean sprouts don't reheat in the microwave quite as nicely.)

If you'd like to look at lots of low-calorie recipes (most of them are original to me) you can check out my MFP blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

There are newer posts in my blog that haven't made it into my list so I would recommend perusing around in there for other tips and recipes.

I'm a fearless and adventurous cook and I've done a pretty fair job of taking the calories out of my recipes without taking out the taste, too.

My cauliflower mashed potato recipe (original to me) has practically made me famous.

Well, sort of.

Here.

On MFP. (Everything's relative.)

I DO get tons of emails about it, though.

So go buy some shirataki noodles and stuff your face-- then watch the pounds just fall off while you do it.

It sounds too good to be true-- but it really IS true.

-theneverhungrydieterchelle
  • sandyfp4h
    sandyfp4h Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've heard about these for awhile. Now if I could just find them.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I am not the only person who could not get past the smell. I wanted to like them, I wish I like them but between the smell and texture I decided they were not for me. But if others love them, then more power to you.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Thanks for posting :flowerforyou:

Slainte!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump! I tried these a while back..and need to get them again...they would be an excellent addition to the bean salad I am currently eating (kidney beans, garbanzo beans, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, diced tomatoes with chilis, a dash of apple cider vinegar and lemon, and a generous sprinking of dried basil...) for some reason today I am SO hungry...but it's still early, and I need a good energy filled late lunch before an intense workout after work....so that's about 3 hours away..lol.. ( late lunch at 3:30, workout at 5:30) those shirataki noodles would have been wonderful in the bean salad!~!!!