Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles

Replies

• tarajeand
    tarajeand Posts: 10 Member
    I had bad luck with the Hungry Girl recipe. Maybe I will try your way!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    I am definitely going to give them a try now, I had tried some once before but got the tofu kind instead by accident, so now when I see them I just figure they will be nasty too, lol.
    Thank you!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    I tried these for the first time a couple weeks ago. I must have bought the wrong kind....and fixed them wrong. The ones I bought were refrigerated so I bet they were of the Tofu variety. I just put some "light" tomato sauce and 95% fat free hamburger thinking they would be a spaghetti type food...well...they were like rubber bands. 2 bites and in the trash they went. Maybe I'll get enough courage up to try them again after reading your post....

same here! i actually did dry fry them.. i don't remember how long though, maybe only 5 minutes? maybe i need to try again and dry fry longer? idk but they were so disgusting i threw em away after two bites. they had THE WEIRDEST texture and i'm so particular about textures.. i just couldn't do it. definitely a different texture than a noodle.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    I can only find the tofu ones and I don't want those. I'll admit it - I have tofu issues! lol!

Are the regular ones in the refrigerated section as well or are they somewhere else?

Regular ones (made from just konnyaku) are packaged wet (refrigerated) and dry, but the only markets where I've seen the non-tofu kind are in the Asian markets and have yet to find the dry kind, though I think those may have some additions so they aren't 0 calorie. Note that I live in Central Florida so there's limited number of places to go for Asian groceries.

I grew up eating those (parents are from Japan and I grew up in California so not too difficult to find back when I was I kid) and never really cared for them. Too rubbery in texture for me. It's not for everyone.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    For those who object to earthy aroma of accompanying liquid..you can wash and wrangle NOODLES in fresh water like washing hands..not with soap tho. A must keep in mind while making noodles part of diet is it is good source of fiber to stay regular but NUTRITION VALUE IS ZERO.
  • bump
  • clocklady
    clocklady Posts: 111 Member
    Bump
  • Yunnieh
    Yunnieh Posts: 89 Member
    Same old,same old.
    I am dieting with 'em for a few years now.
  • JanetWatson1
    JanetWatson1 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in Cambridgeshire and have found them in several asian supermarkets..... about £1.40 for a pack that will give 1-2 servings. One lot I bought were in the fridge, the other was just on a shelf. Both lots only had asian writing on them, so I had to ask where to find them.
  • sheilsun
    sheilsun Posts: 47
    Bump!! I have actually lost some bumps:) with shirataki noodles. They are a staple at our house. I like the kind called Miracle Noodle and I get them either online at their website or Amazon or Whole Foods. They have a site where they have local stores. If I rninse real well, the smell is gone! Stir frys and soups are so easy to put together or amazing quick easy recipes they have on Facebook. Can't believe I even made a recipe called Pad Thai really fast. Hope this helps..
  • Kelly_1981
    Kelly_1981 Posts: 472 Member
    Bump so I can read later :-) Thanks for this!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    bump
  • CRVDiva
    CRVDiva Posts: 104
    I have to agree with Chelle. I followed her directions and the noodles are not rubbery and once you wash them the smell goes away. I love these noodles, I have started making various stir-frys with them and even my family love them now.
    I tried them. I followed the directions. They're still gross. Rubbery and the smell *doesn't* just vanish. :noway:

Not worth it to me.

If the smell didn't go away then all I can figure is that you got noodles that were past their expiration date. And when you dry fry them they are NOT rubbery. I make them one to two times per day-- I would have noticed by now...
  • CRVDiva
    Try doing a google search so you can see what they look like and print a picture and bring them with you. A lot of the Asian stores call them "Yam Noodles" but they are the same thing. They keep them near their dairy section. Good luck.
    Someone in Houston needs to tell me where to find these things. This city is huge and we also have a huge Asian community, but we haven't found them yet (obviously we're looking at the wrong stores.) We tried a Whole Foods down by Rice and they didn't have them, tried Fiesta and no luck there and a couple Asian markets, but there are a million more Asian markets to check out. Ideally I'd like to find some place on the NW end of town.
  • CRVDiva
    Did you get them at the Canadian superstore?
    I live in Canada and my regular superstore carries them at 69 cents for a package of 200g. They are with the other noodles in the Asian section of the store. I wanted to give them a try for a few days so tonight I had them for supper. I thought the package was small but wow, they can be filling! I made a Singapore stir fry with shrimps that turned out to be very delicious and less than 250 calories. Never seen that!

These noodles are a good way to adjust my calorie intake on the days where I will attend birthday parties (cake and chips) or dinner parties.
  • I just made my first shirataki noodle tonight for lunch tomorrow..hope I like it. It does not smell as bad as I thought it would be. After rinsing with warm / hot water, the smells went away. I cooked it with minced garlic and ginger, with canola oil mix with sesame oil, seasoned with salt pepper, a little soy sauce, oyster sauce, a little brown sugar, and I add my ready homemade chili sauce (sambal oelek). I used scrambled egg, shredded chicken, julienne carrot and green onion. Let's see if I like it..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/533426_3777784052479_1513226026_3328194_1337186905_n.jpg
  • MsNP
    MsNP Posts: 27 Member
    I am excited to go look for these noodles I have been hearing so much about. Thanks for all the recipe ideas!! :)
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    I just made my first shirataki noodle tonight for lunch tomorrow..hope I like it. It does not smell as bad as I thought it would be. After rinsing with warm / hot water, the smells went away. I cooked it with minced garlic and ginger, with canola oil mix with sesame oil, seasoned with salt pepper, a little soy sauce, oyster sauce, a little brown sugar, and I add my ready homemade chili sauce (sambal oelek). I used scrambled egg, shredded chicken, julienne carrot and green onion. Let's see if I like it..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/533426_3777784052479_1513226026_3328194_1337186905_n.jpg

If you don't like it, send it to me! Wow!
  • Chelle, is it ok to heat it up? Will it still good the next day?
  • grdinagirl
    grdinagirl Posts: 21 Member
    BUMP