A poll: Thoughts on tattoos on women...

Options

Replies

• k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of getting a tattoo to show it off? If you have to hide it then maybe you shouldn't be getting one.
    Is the point of buying sexy lingerie to show it off in public?

i pretty much love this response. i get my tattoo for me first. it's for me to enjoy, and if my clothes cover them or don't cover them, then that's that. i don't buy my clothes to fit my tattoos, and i don't get my tattoos to fit my wardrobe. occasionally covering them, for me, is necessary. but i don't go out of my way to either hide them or show them off. i can't wait to get my half-sleeve.
  • angemarie23
    Options
    I don't like tattoos in men or woman

I don't think that they are attractive or feminine at all. I saw last year a very nice looking young lady with a beautiful dress and sleeve tattoos in both arms, and, IMOP, she just didn't look good or elegant at all. Even my husband made that comment.

Sorry OP if you didn’t like my answer, but you asked the question.

Agreed. I personally don't have any tattoos and wouldn't ever get one. I've seen some women who can pull off a cute butterfly or other small tattoo and still look feminine but once you're covering yourself in them it just loses something. Not attractive to me at all. Not attractive to my hubby either, so that works out. :-)

On another note, I can and do appreciate beautiful artwork. So if I see a beautiful rose with falling petals and know that this image has a symbolic meaning to the person wearing it...I can appreciate their story, their heart, and know that it means something special to them....but if it were me, I would have had the painting of the rose framed and displayed in my home...not my body. But that's just me. :-)

What do I feel when I see a woman wearing a sleeve or full back tattoo? Mostly just sadness. Our bodies are not a canvas....they are the painting.

I think we all have a natural tendency to judge others no matter what we're doing. I try to look past the tattoos and get to know the real person. Some of the smartest, prettiest, strongest, most inspirational women I know have tattoos...so who am I to judge them. I make mistakes too. ;-) j/k
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of getting a tattoo to show it off? If you have to hide it then maybe you shouldn't be getting one.
    Is the point of buying sexy lingerie to show it off in public?

I hardly see how that correlates to hiding a tattoo unless you're getting tattoos to show off to your SO?

I have 12 single tattoos and a half sleeve.
    I get them for ME, not to show them off.

I have to hide 99% of my tattoos (some of them cannot be hidden) because I work for the county and they cannot be visible.

So because I have to hide them for my WORK life, I shouldnt of gotten them??

Kinda simple minded, dont ya think?
  • GeekySnorlax0717
    Options
    Tattoos can be two things in my opinion: beautiful with meaning and life, or trashy just because someone "wanted one". From your description, I think that tattoos on women can be extremely sexy! But those types are greatly outweighed by the women who choose to get something from off a wall at their local parlor...
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering turning a tiger tattoo on my upper left arm into a sleeve. I'm just not entirely sure if I want to keep it uncolored or convert it to color again. The tiger was full color when I got it 18 years ago, but it faded (too much sun exposure) and I left it gray when I had it touched up a few years ago.

I've got 3 other arm tattoos, 2 full length of my lower right arm (one outside, one inside) and one on the upper right and on my back on the right side.

I know I am judged for my ink, but those who would judge me don't deserve to know me.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    As long as you are going to True Artist for them...they are cool...Full Sleeves don't like on women...nice on Men.... But I have 3 and looking to get up to 7....They are really kewl and pretty depending on what you get...I got one in the 9th grade and it is still nicely colored....
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I think that if it is GOOD art, whether or not has some deep meaning, it is awesome. Full sleeves can look awesome on woman if the art is well done. I don't really think there is a stigma so much anymore. Obviously there are people who still think tattoos=delinquent but some women look really nice and even elegant (IMO) with sleeves or many tattoos. As long as it's not a playboy bunny on her face.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I have a half sleeve, will one day be full (once I can afford it!) plus a load of others. I am a very nice person, not trashy or low rent, I have a respectable job, and often get the "oh you don't look like the type of person to have tattoos". I keep covered at work, but I have to as I wear uniform, my wrist tattoos are visable, no one has ever complain. As all the fire fighters display theirs (have to wear short sleeves) they can't complain much!
    Honestly shocked by the attitudes of some people on this thread with the whole tattoos make you a terrible person thing. You know nothing about me from my visable appearance, yes I chose to get my tattoos, but I don't judge you for not having any so why judge me for them?
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    oh just do it you only live once. I would rather regret doing somethin than regret not doin it when its to late!! depends how badly you want it.
    Then, if you do it and it doesn't turn out like you thought, it's pretty difficult and costly to UNDO!

BTW, not a fan of sleeves; seems low class. But obviously social attitudes have changed over the past few decades as we old farts die off.
  • rcates2424
    rcates2424 Posts: 208
    Options
    Favorite one was a boxing glove that said "hit it like a champ" above bikini line. No Pressure!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    While I do appreciate the art, I personally don't like full sleeve tattoos - on men or women. I am just not personally attracted to it. I do love a lot of different tats though. My fiance on the other hand doesn't like big tattoos on women at all. He always says it isn't very classy. He doesn't mind small tattoos...or ones that are hidden - or as he says "to be discovered'...haha

That being said, I firmly believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I want to get a sleeve done! But I want one flowing piece. Not a bunch of randomly placed tattoos that end up just covering the whole arm.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Why scribble, draw, or paint on God's perfect work of art. That's my opinion & I'm sticking to it! :happy:
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people want tattoos covering their whole arm? How is that any different than tattoos covering your whole face? (And this is purely out of curiosity, I'm not judging, I have a few tattoos but I just don't like the way the full sleeve looks.)
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What we tell our kids (and both hubby and I have tattoos) is not to do any CLMs or Career Limiting Moves....meaning don't get your face,neck, hands tattooed or have piercings you can't take out. In other words, when necessary make it so that you can cover them up with clothing if the need arises. We are both professionals and each have 2 tattoos. My oldest son is 21 and got his first at 17 that is a medical symbol saying he has Type 1 Diabetes. He had to have what he wanted for over 6 months with no changes to it before I would agree and I had to take him to a place that I knew well. People are still judgmental and that is horrible but just the way it is. Personally, I like them and want another one.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Why scribble, draw, or paint on God's perfect work of art. That's my opinion & I'm sticking to it! :happy:

So no make up, hair products, hair dye, nail varnish etc either?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

I think she's referring to permanent markings, not temporary markings that can be washed off.
  • va_va_voom
    va_va_voom Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The solution for those whose employment precludes them from having one. :happy:

Halloween-Gift-Tattoo-Sleeve.jpg

I would never actually get a full sleeve, but I would definitely rock the second from the left! Hmmm...maybe I should see what hubs thinks about it... :D
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options

I think she's referring to permanent markings, not temporary markings that can be washed off.
    So it's okay so long as you don't do your hair or paint yourself the same way everyday?
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    As long as they are done tastefully and are not following a specific trend, tattoos are beautiful! They're a permanent extension of who we are. I love my tattoos.